Maryville, MO
Northwest Missouri State University

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Northwest Missouri State University

Allesa

Apply for as many scholarships as you can! Good grades don't buy a full ride at every college or even enough to cover most of it. You need to actively hunt for local and online scholarships and apply for all of them! Start as soon as you can. Also, volunteer more at the animal shelter or find another non-profit place to help out at. Network with people and get more experience in the real world. College is VERY different from high school. The sooner you work on transitioning to the real world, the easier it will be to walk onto that campus in the fall. There are NO parents there to nag you about your habits. Start getting healthier habits now so you'll have them when you're on your own as well.

The overall affordability. Textbooks are included which saves you a lot of money (and hassle) as well as a laptop. I don't have to worry about finding the right books and then finding a way to sell them back for only a fraction of the price. The laptop is great in that it came with preloaded software I need for class right away. There are scholarships and grants like the Midwest Student Exchange which also helped me be able to go to Northwest.

Someone who doesn't want to take their education seriously at all. It's kind of a small school, but some people have heard of it having some kind of party reputation. People who go there for that and don't go to their classes or make any educational effort often find themselves leaving after the first semester.

Small community with lots of support all around you.

Small community with lots of support all around you.

Find time to study. Dont get invovled with so much that you lose focus on why you are here in the first place.

One who has an open mind that likes small towns and likes the smoke and alchole free campus.

Natalie

We do have a lot of "stereotypes" at Northwest and it is easy to just group everyone together, but at the same time it is easy to find groups of people that are similar to you! One of the biggest groups would be Frat/Sorority stereotype which sometimes has a negative connotation, but in my time here I have met some very nice, intelligent, or not your typical fFrat/Sorority stereotype.

Jayme

I absolutely love Northwest. This school is ideal because it is small enough that you can develop relationships with many students and be closer to the faculty and professors but it is also big enough where we can experience many new cultures and new ideas. Everyone here is proud to be a Bearcat, but why wouldn't they be? We have excellent facilities, a fun town to be in where we are supported by the community, and many great places both on campus and in town where we can eat, hang out, and get studying done. I don't hear many complaints, but when I do it seems to be a personal preference rather than a majority mind set.

The main stereotypes of Northwest students tend to be aimed at the use of alcohol and marijuana and the seperation of the Greek community from the rest of the students. The stereotype of alcoholics and potheads is a bit over dramatic. There are a portion of students that fit that stereotype but not the university as a whole. As for the Greek system, a majority of Northwest students belong to fraternities and sororities. They do tend to stick to their houses but some of them branch out and tend to hang out with non-Greek friends.

They have a really good communications department and have very small classes and is alot smaller campus so its more like a community then just a school that you go too.

Dont blow off math. That anything that you did learn will help you make a better transition. That you may have senioritis but you still feel like you dont want to do anything when you get to college. But you will have to work,go to school,be involved, and find time to sleep. Highschool was piece of cake compared to what you will face when you go to college. Dont rush trying to get out. Enjoy being a kid for one more year. Because come graduation everything will change.

That its so cold in the winter and sometimes you have no idea what the teacher has said becuase either they dont talk about what they intended to or the talk a mile a minute

Kylie

Luckily, we have a variety of stereotypes here at Northwest. Although it doesn't really feel like separated groups of people, because everyone generally gets along.

KIMBERLEE

You may think you're an adult now, but you're still a kid. Legally, you can make your own decisions, but mentally and physically, you're incapable of surviving in the real world without help and guidance. College will give you that opportunity to mature and grow. Partcipate in clubs and organizations and meet people whom you can form lifetime friendships with. That is a great way to learn social networking. Excel in all your classes, because when employers and colleges start asking for your transcripts, those classes you failed will show up and define a part of you. Pay all your school fees up front, because making payments will help develop bad habits that can put you in debt later in life. Last but not least, make your classes your number one priority, because you don't want to still be in college six years later.

Catie

Growing up means becoming independent. Independence means finding your own way through life. One would say that college means finally being free from the scrutinization of parental figures. However, once you enter college, you are no longer a child and will never be treated the same. I used to dream of the day I could finally pack my tiny Honda with all of my newly bought college supplies and drive away from the only place I have ever known as home, but once I parked my car, the nervousness swam through my veins. I realized that there was no going back to the laid back girl who loved spending all her time reading fantasy books. The advice I would give my high school self is too cherish the time with family. College changes relationships. I miss my mother dearly and I still call her every day to detail the events of my day. My mom is my best friend and I would not have realized how close we are without going to college. I also realized how I am becoming an adult. As an adult, I am responsible for my own future and no one can plan it for me.

What I wish I knew before I came to Northwest is how harsh the winter can be. I terribly hate the cold. I do not like how bipolar the weather in Maryville can be. I often wear layers upon layers of clothing just to walk five feet across the campus. However, campus safety is very effective in keeping the campus clean for an easy walk.

Because I am a vegetarian, it is very hard to eat here. While the school does offer some healthy vegetarian options, there is rarely any variety and I feel like I eat the same thing over and over again. I eat alot in my room and wish I could use my aladine more often.

Northwest Missour State Univeristy is best known for our athletics, especially our football team. We won multiple football championships in the past, and are looking forward to many more in the close future. Another thing Northwest is best known for is it's use of technology. One of the perks about attending here is you are given a laptop, so there are no concerns about having to go to the library or a class to get an assignment down. Also, classes and coursework are easily accesible because most teachers post their notes and homeowrk online.

Everyone always says, "College is the best time of your life, so enjoy it." Even though that’s so cliché, it’s definitely true. College is the last time that you can live a life for yourself and not take on the responsibilities of having a job and family to take care of, so enjoy the college life. Don't worry about other people and what they have to say about you because in reality you are living your life for you and God, nobody else. You know what the best path to take is, so be confident and don't let others influence your decisions because if they are your true friends they will support you on every decision you make. Also, enjoy the time you have with your friends, new and old, because you never know what tomorrow brings. Keep the future in mind, but don't worry about it. You're young; you'll have plenty of time to worry about that stuff once you graduate. In the end, the best advice I could ever give myself is to enjoy having the freedoms and the friends you have and never take them for granted.

A person that shouldn't attend this school would be someone that needs to live in a big city, and feels like he/she needs a variety of things to do outside of the campus life. Maryville is a small town, so it's definitely Northwest Missouri State University centered. Although it's a great college to attend if you like the small town, welcoming feel, it's hard to find things to do without driving out of town if you wanting to get off campus.

Jeremiah

This is a great school: great professors, great staff, great students.

This is a great school: great professors, great staff, great students.

There are the greek frat guys who are bossy and some business majors who are supposedly snobby and some English majors who hate english. In reality, none of these are really accurate. Everyone is quite respectful.

Northwest Missouri State University administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.