Maryville, MO
Northwest Missouri State University

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Northwest Missouri State University

Catie

Growing up means becoming independent. Independence means finding your own way through life. One would say that college means finally being free from the scrutinization of parental figures. However, once you enter college, you are no longer a child and will never be treated the same. I used to dream of the day I could finally pack my tiny Honda with all of my newly bought college supplies and drive away from the only place I have ever known as home, but once I parked my car, the nervousness swam through my veins. I realized that there was no going back to the laid back girl who loved spending all her time reading fantasy books. The advice I would give my high school self is too cherish the time with family. College changes relationships. I miss my mother dearly and I still call her every day to detail the events of my day. My mom is my best friend and I would not have realized how close we are without going to college. I also realized how I am becoming an adult. As an adult, I am responsible for my own future and no one can plan it for me.

What I wish I knew before I came to Northwest is how harsh the winter can be. I terribly hate the cold. I do not like how bipolar the weather in Maryville can be. I often wear layers upon layers of clothing just to walk five feet across the campus. However, campus safety is very effective in keeping the campus clean for an easy walk.

Because I am a vegetarian, it is very hard to eat here. While the school does offer some healthy vegetarian options, there is rarely any variety and I feel like I eat the same thing over and over again. I eat alot in my room and wish I could use my aladine more often.

Northwest Missour State Univeristy is best known for our athletics, especially our football team. We won multiple football championships in the past, and are looking forward to many more in the close future. Another thing Northwest is best known for is it's use of technology. One of the perks about attending here is you are given a laptop, so there are no concerns about having to go to the library or a class to get an assignment down. Also, classes and coursework are easily accesible because most teachers post their notes and homeowrk online.

Everyone always says, "College is the best time of your life, so enjoy it." Even though that’s so cliché, it’s definitely true. College is the last time that you can live a life for yourself and not take on the responsibilities of having a job and family to take care of, so enjoy the college life. Don't worry about other people and what they have to say about you because in reality you are living your life for you and God, nobody else. You know what the best path to take is, so be confident and don't let others influence your decisions because if they are your true friends they will support you on every decision you make. Also, enjoy the time you have with your friends, new and old, because you never know what tomorrow brings. Keep the future in mind, but don't worry about it. You're young; you'll have plenty of time to worry about that stuff once you graduate. In the end, the best advice I could ever give myself is to enjoy having the freedoms and the friends you have and never take them for granted.

A person that shouldn't attend this school would be someone that needs to live in a big city, and feels like he/she needs a variety of things to do outside of the campus life. Maryville is a small town, so it's definitely Northwest Missouri State University centered. Although it's a great college to attend if you like the small town, welcoming feel, it's hard to find things to do without driving out of town if you wanting to get off campus.

Jeremiah

This is a great school: great professors, great staff, great students.

This is a great school: great professors, great staff, great students.

There are the greek frat guys who are bossy and some business majors who are supposedly snobby and some English majors who hate english. In reality, none of these are really accurate. Everyone is quite respectful.

Common stereotypes of the students at my school are party-ers, and Greek LIfe students. Many people think because NWMSU is such a small school, there is only one thing to do, party. In reality, there are many other things to do than just go out and get drunk. Maryville has a theater and bowling alley plus some stores to go shopping in. There are also many different organizations to get involved in on campus.

Ieishia

A dedicated and caring facility based on the desire to educate and shape minds for future success.

It had a small town atmosphere, the people all seemed to care, and it was easy to walk and feel comfortable at.

As a high school senior I was naïve, excited to move, start school with my friends, and be a “grown up”. If I could go back and tell myself what I know now, I would share three things: friends come and go but family is forever, long distant relationships do not work but it is not the end of the world, and no matter what keep your head up. Through my years at college I have learned my family will always have my back. No matter what the problem my mom and dad were there helping and supporting me along the way, even if my friends bailed on me. Coming into school I was in a relationship I thought would last forever. I quickly learned people grow a lot while in college and distance puts too much strain on relationships, and I learned I could survive without it. The third lesson I’ve learned is to keep my head up. Things were hard transitioning to a new place and new people. No matter how bad the situation good things still happen. If I could share my wisdom with myself, my first two years of college would have been great.

MacKenzie

If I were to go back to my senior year in high school, my advice to myself would be; to be organized, get enough sleep, and stay focused on school. I think organization is very important in college life, because professors will ask you to look at a spicific day of lecture notes or a specific assignment and you'll need to find it right away. It is also easier when your reading lecture notes and studying. Sometimes life gets to be challenging but you still need to find time to rest. If your up all night studying chances are your test score could have been a little bit better if you got some sleep and had a good breakfast. I never knew sleep was so important before a big test! Finally, it is very important to stay focused on school. If you're paying to go to school you want to be there. You need to be there to take notes and learn the material. It is very important to be active in the classroom. I also would suggest to myself to talk to the teacher if you dont understand something completely or need help on something in class.

Maria Robinson once said, "Nobody can go back and start a new beginning, but anyone can start today and make a new ending." If I could go back in time and talk to myself as a high school senior I wish I could have told myself that. In high school I made a lot of mistakes like not taking my parents advice, not studying as much as a should have, and even taking advantage of my teachers. I would tell myself that instead of dwelling on the past, you should start acting on the things that you wish you could have changed. To start listening to my parents before disagreeing with them, to work harder on homework assignments, and to show my teachers how much I appreciate their help. I would also tell myself that every mistake I make happens for a reason, so just learn from it and grow. The final, perhaps even the most important thing I would tell myself is to make amends with the people I love because once your heart is mended then your future can only become brighter, and possibly even better than you could have imagined with the help of your loved ones.

While most students worried about the classes they were going to take, making friends, or who their roommate was, I was mostly concerned about how my teachers were going to be. Before I came to Northwest I really wish I knew how relatable and willing to help our teachers are. Considering I want to be a teacher, I felt like having teachers that taught me how to become a great educator, like themselves, was very important. If I would have known how easy it is to talk to my teachers than I could have better prepared myself for other things.

What I mostly brag about when I tell my friends about my school is how friendly and personable our teachers are. They not only help us in the classroom, but also in our daily lives. The teachers at Northwest show that they care by asking questions about what we are interested in, and then they have a way of intertwining it into their lessons to make their class more relatable. I always tell my friends that I feel like I have gained so much from going to Northwest because my teachers made learning fun and easy for me to understand.

Hello, self. I know you're busy planning for your wedding and your move to Okinawa after graduation, but listen up. There are a few things you need to know about attending college, especially as a military wife. First of all, you will have to switch schools when you PCS, so start with the basic classes.That way when you transfer, hopefully you won't lose any credits. It is also important for you to never assume anything about a college's credit system. Don't assume you know what your AP or transfer credits will count towards. Otherwise, you will end up with several credits that all count toward the same class. Make sure you keep in close contact with your college administration to be sure all of your credits are lining up for your degree plan correctly. It is so important that you are always aware of your progress and that you remain proactive about working towards your degrees. As long as you communicate with your colleges and follow the degree plans, I know you will be fine. With these tips, your college career should be smooth and successful. Enjoy that degree, you will have earned it!

Kala

As a high school senior, I was extremely excited about college but scared of losing the friends I had since I was five years old. I wish that someone would have told me that my friends in high school would always be there for me and there was nothing wrong with making new friends in college. Worrying even ruined some of my high school experiences because I concentrated on how they would be ending instead of enjoying the moment. I spent a lot of time stressing about all the things I was going to miss out on once I moved away from my hometown. On my first day of college, I begged my mom not to leave me there alone. For the first semester I went home almost every weekend, did not attend very many football games, and missed out on a lot of awesome experiences. Since then I have met new friends and had amazing experiences at college and can still go home from time to time and meet up with the friends I've always had. I just wish that I had worried less my senior year and lived more in the moment.

Before I came to NWMSU I wish I had known how important it is to meet new people. When I was a freshman I went home almost every weekend to hang out with my friends from high school. Now that I am a junior I have a lot of friends from college but I regret not meeting new people and making new friends my freshman year. Your friends from home will always be important people in your life, but you could miss out on other great people if you choose not to take the opportunity to meet them.

The worst thing about my school is the winter. It gets extremely cold and snowy and there aren't very many close parking spots so students have to walk a ways to classes in the cold.

Northwest Missouri State University administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.