Maryville, MO
Northwest Missouri State University

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Northwest Missouri State University

Common stereotypes of the students at my school are party-ers, and Greek LIfe students. Many people think because NWMSU is such a small school, there is only one thing to do, party. In reality, there are many other things to do than just go out and get drunk. Maryville has a theater and bowling alley plus some stores to go shopping in. There are also many different organizations to get involved in on campus.

Ieishia

A dedicated and caring facility based on the desire to educate and shape minds for future success.

It had a small town atmosphere, the people all seemed to care, and it was easy to walk and feel comfortable at.

As a high school senior I was naïve, excited to move, start school with my friends, and be a “grown up”. If I could go back and tell myself what I know now, I would share three things: friends come and go but family is forever, long distant relationships do not work but it is not the end of the world, and no matter what keep your head up. Through my years at college I have learned my family will always have my back. No matter what the problem my mom and dad were there helping and supporting me along the way, even if my friends bailed on me. Coming into school I was in a relationship I thought would last forever. I quickly learned people grow a lot while in college and distance puts too much strain on relationships, and I learned I could survive without it. The third lesson I’ve learned is to keep my head up. Things were hard transitioning to a new place and new people. No matter how bad the situation good things still happen. If I could share my wisdom with myself, my first two years of college would have been great.

MacKenzie

If I were to go back to my senior year in high school, my advice to myself would be; to be organized, get enough sleep, and stay focused on school. I think organization is very important in college life, because professors will ask you to look at a spicific day of lecture notes or a specific assignment and you'll need to find it right away. It is also easier when your reading lecture notes and studying. Sometimes life gets to be challenging but you still need to find time to rest. If your up all night studying chances are your test score could have been a little bit better if you got some sleep and had a good breakfast. I never knew sleep was so important before a big test! Finally, it is very important to stay focused on school. If you're paying to go to school you want to be there. You need to be there to take notes and learn the material. It is very important to be active in the classroom. I also would suggest to myself to talk to the teacher if you dont understand something completely or need help on something in class.

Maria Robinson once said, "Nobody can go back and start a new beginning, but anyone can start today and make a new ending." If I could go back in time and talk to myself as a high school senior I wish I could have told myself that. In high school I made a lot of mistakes like not taking my parents advice, not studying as much as a should have, and even taking advantage of my teachers. I would tell myself that instead of dwelling on the past, you should start acting on the things that you wish you could have changed. To start listening to my parents before disagreeing with them, to work harder on homework assignments, and to show my teachers how much I appreciate their help. I would also tell myself that every mistake I make happens for a reason, so just learn from it and grow. The final, perhaps even the most important thing I would tell myself is to make amends with the people I love because once your heart is mended then your future can only become brighter, and possibly even better than you could have imagined with the help of your loved ones.

While most students worried about the classes they were going to take, making friends, or who their roommate was, I was mostly concerned about how my teachers were going to be. Before I came to Northwest I really wish I knew how relatable and willing to help our teachers are. Considering I want to be a teacher, I felt like having teachers that taught me how to become a great educator, like themselves, was very important. If I would have known how easy it is to talk to my teachers than I could have better prepared myself for other things.

What I mostly brag about when I tell my friends about my school is how friendly and personable our teachers are. They not only help us in the classroom, but also in our daily lives. The teachers at Northwest show that they care by asking questions about what we are interested in, and then they have a way of intertwining it into their lessons to make their class more relatable. I always tell my friends that I feel like I have gained so much from going to Northwest because my teachers made learning fun and easy for me to understand.

Hello, self. I know you're busy planning for your wedding and your move to Okinawa after graduation, but listen up. There are a few things you need to know about attending college, especially as a military wife. First of all, you will have to switch schools when you PCS, so start with the basic classes.That way when you transfer, hopefully you won't lose any credits. It is also important for you to never assume anything about a college's credit system. Don't assume you know what your AP or transfer credits will count towards. Otherwise, you will end up with several credits that all count toward the same class. Make sure you keep in close contact with your college administration to be sure all of your credits are lining up for your degree plan correctly. It is so important that you are always aware of your progress and that you remain proactive about working towards your degrees. As long as you communicate with your colleges and follow the degree plans, I know you will be fine. With these tips, your college career should be smooth and successful. Enjoy that degree, you will have earned it!

Kala

As a high school senior, I was extremely excited about college but scared of losing the friends I had since I was five years old. I wish that someone would have told me that my friends in high school would always be there for me and there was nothing wrong with making new friends in college. Worrying even ruined some of my high school experiences because I concentrated on how they would be ending instead of enjoying the moment. I spent a lot of time stressing about all the things I was going to miss out on once I moved away from my hometown. On my first day of college, I begged my mom not to leave me there alone. For the first semester I went home almost every weekend, did not attend very many football games, and missed out on a lot of awesome experiences. Since then I have met new friends and had amazing experiences at college and can still go home from time to time and meet up with the friends I've always had. I just wish that I had worried less my senior year and lived more in the moment.

Before I came to NWMSU I wish I had known how important it is to meet new people. When I was a freshman I went home almost every weekend to hang out with my friends from high school. Now that I am a junior I have a lot of friends from college but I regret not meeting new people and making new friends my freshman year. Your friends from home will always be important people in your life, but you could miss out on other great people if you choose not to take the opportunity to meet them.

The worst thing about my school is the winter. It gets extremely cold and snowy and there aren't very many close parking spots so students have to walk a ways to classes in the cold.

Tamara

This school is a small school with big school spirit.

This school is a small school with big school spirit.

I have made friends I would not have made otherwise, gone places I wouldn't have gone and learned about life. It has been a valuable experience because this is the time to make mistakes and still have do-overs allowing the chance to learn without facing disastrous consenquences.

A person who is looking for an elitist society where all you do is put others down.

April

Starting the very first day of college I knew that I was ready to make this next big step in life. Though I haven’t been attending college long, I know that this is the right step towards the career and the life that I want for myself. So far college has shown me that I am responsible enough to handle what life throws at me. Learning this after just one semester makes me really excited to eventually go on and get my PhD in Chemistry. I have met so many people and learned about different cultures it has proven to be worth my time and money to be here. It has given me new value and meaning to friendships, and the connections that can be made between a professor and a student. The value of education has really been brought to my attention too. The fact that I can set my mind to do something, and that I can make a difference motivates me to keep trying harder. I don’t know what I would have done if I missed out on this experience.

With the summer session all students have to go to, the school does a really good job at letting you know what to expect and how they are different from other colleges. There are plenty of times to ask questions and get information. I felt that I knew what I was getting into when I came here and the move from home life to college went smoothly.

A person who is looking for a moderate size college that gives ample opportunities, at a reasonable price has chosen the right college by coming here. The college is big but not so big that it is hard to connect with professors and other peers. If they like a laid back atmosphere, but still wants to have the opportunity to do multiple things this is the right town and college to be a part of.

Chelsea

Northwest MO State is best known for its outstanding football team, academics, and community service. In each of these areas, the students at my school excel. Our football team has three national championships, with the most recent being in 2009. Our academics offer plenty of majors and minors so that there is something for everyone. The students at my school constantly are giving back to the community through volunteer efforts. These three things, along with many other great things, make Northwest an excellent school.

During my time at Northwest Missouri State University, I have had numerous fulfilling experiences including community service, leadership skills, excellent training for my field, and life-long friendships. Through my involvement in Sigma Society, I have participated in many different community service activities in our community, as well as in Kansas City. Also, my executive position in this organization has helped me refine my leadership skills even more. Northwest is known for an outstanding Elementary Education program, which is one of the reasons I chose to attend this school. Throughout my classes so far, I have had multiple outstanding experiences that will assist greatly in my pursuit of a teaching career. Ever since my freshman year, I have made some of the best friends possible. I can easily see these friendships staying close to my heart well into the future. My experiences at Northwest have taught me many things, especially who I am and who I want to be. I greatly value the preparation it has provided me for my future career, as well as the appreciation I have learned for what I have and what I can accomplish.

Just about anyone should consider attending this school. However, if you are not ready to devote the required time to your studies, or to sometimes choose writing a paper over hanging out with friends, this school may not be an excellent choice for you. Also, if you enjoy being in a busy city with a lot to do on the weekends, Northwest may not be the right choice for you. Weekends in Maryville get pretty quiet, and we are at least 30 miles from the nearest "city."

Northwest Missouri State University administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.