Maryville, MO
Northwest Missouri State University

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Northwest Missouri State University

My classmates are very helpful and eager to help others.

My classmates are very helpful and eager to help others.

I have gotten memories that will las me a life time. Each one of my friends wil be with me forever. The teachers here are very he;pful and are here to see us suceed.

I consider the avaiblity of on campus jobs to be the worst thing about northwest.

Mackenzie

I have gotten a completely new life. In high school you are so completely sheltered. In college, you get the chance and opportunity to meet new people and branch out. With so many new opportunities, I have been able to find new hobbies and interests. Due to Northwest's vast activity choices, I am now in the American Sign Language Club and am minoring in Deaf Studies. To make things short, college has opened up my eyes to a completely different life for the better.

Being here in Maryville there is a huge competition to get jobs. If you don't qualify for work study you will not receive campus jobs. It is even kind of hard to get jobs in Maryville off campus. If you need a job, start looking early in the summer when there are actually openings at businesses. If you wait until August to apply, you won't get a job.

If I could go back I would tell myself to pay attention in school, learn from the mistakes of others, set goals I can achieve, prioritize my time better, do my homework on time, study, study, study, become more involve in the activities that are offered to me, try new things, don't try to hide in the background, be my own person, listen to my family, surround myself with positive people. Don't let negative things be the outcome of my high school career whether it be relationships with family, friends and people you come in contact on a everyday basis. Next, the little things like watching my diet, study,study,study, pray for guidance and understanding in my life and just BE YOUR OWN PERSON and confide in the people that love and care for you. Be more open with the problems you have in school whether it be academically or within yourself.

Some things that I wish that I had known before I had came to this school is knowing that studying is a MAJOR thing and that having study skills is a must and not only that but to have good study skills. Also paying attention to detail in schooland look for the important things in school and become involved. Prioritizing is a must because you have to do that alot in college, to be able to manage your time and set obtainable goals for yourself. Lastly to do well to get scholarships and the stress becomes less in your life.

I think the person that should attend this university is a person who is open-minded about new things, willing to take advantages of what the university has to offer and like to have fun but be a student at the same time. Also a person who need one on one attention with their teachers and is willing to learn.

Kathleen

If I could go back I would tell myself to let loose, and enjoy my college years. To study hard, but to also relax with friends. This is the last stage of feedom in ones life, and it is meant to enjoy. Another peice of advice I would pass along is not to pay attention to what others say, not to take it personally. It's college, and everyone is under pressure just the same. Everyone needs to relax. If I could go back, I would pass along the advice to enjoy life. Also, a quick study tip, use notecards! They help tons.

I think the worst thing about Northwest is it can sometimes be considered a party town. The campus is a "dry campus", where no alcohol is allowed. However, there is always a party somewhere in the small town. The bars also let students in when they turn 19, which causes a huge problem, they may not be allowed to drink, but they usually find a way. This can be a negative image for the University.

I brag about all of the fun organizations the campus offers, and how the town is a "college town" . Everyone supports the school in the area, and everything is about school spirit. We also have an amazing football team, and football games are a huge hit around here. I also brag about the class size. It's small enough to let everyone be involved, but not too small to feel singled out. I love telling people about our school!

Karlie

Extremely high school spirit for our varsity teams, students and professor alike. learning environment is great. The professors love to help with anything that the students may ask.

I would tell myself that its a lot more intense then any high school class has ever been. That studying is a must! And to go to bed earlier and wake up at least a half hour before class to eat and to prepare myself for what the day is going to bring. There were so many days that I woke up completely tired and not wanting to go to class, therefore during the classes I barely took any of the information in, leaving me really lost and confused with the information later on.

The tuition is high and still rising, and the lack of jobs on-campus that pay well enough to keep the students above water with their financial situations. The housing both on and off campus is really expensive.

If I could go back and talk to myself as a high school senior, knowing what I know now, I would tell myself to not stress and worry. As a senior in high school the little things in life always seem to create mountains and obstructions ahead. Days seem to never cease with due dates, homework becomes a mess of applications, and you seem like no one understands what you are going through. Well, if I am going back to talk to me, I do understand. I would tell myself, do not worry. You are someone now and you will be someone in the future to come. Little by little taking baby steps to our goal will break those mountains into hills, than grains of sand. I would tell myself, instead of worrying, create an organized schedule. First, take care of yourself and well being. Then tackle the papers needed. Initially, work on applications that need little or no help. Paperwork that require a second opinion, ask and you shall receive the answers and the help you need. There are people surrounding you wanting to help. You are not alone. So Steph do not worry, God has everything under control.

Chasity

If given the opportunity to travel back to my high school days and have a pep talk with myself, the best advice I would have to offer is to slow down and stay prepared. For much of my high school career, I rushed through life in a frenzy of preperation and anxiety. By making my life so unnecessarily hectic, I actually circumvented some enjoyment and success. I now wish that I had stopped to appreciate such a pivotal time. While preparation for college was important, I stressed entirely too much over the small things.

Before attending Northwest Missouri State University, I was a first generation graduate and terrified by the idea of attending college. However, it had always been a dream of mine and something that I worked tirelessly at achieving. Looking back, I wish that I had been more educated on the college selection process and financial commitment. I also wish that I had known to slow down and enjoy my time because upon finishing a semester at a Northwest, I have learned that my constant stress during high school was unnecessary.

Northwest Missouri State University is an ideal school for students who are looking to become part of a family and rich history. Maryville is a tight knit community that adores its college students. The campus is relatively small which allows for many of the students to be familiar with one another. The education is also very personalized, which was advantageous for someone like myself who is completely unaware of the whole college process.

Rochelle

The advise that I would give myself is to go strait to college, not to wait cause of life, such as children. The most important thing is to further your education no matter what life throughs at you!!

I would have told myself that life is hard and that life isn't easy all the time but you push yourself day after day to finish what you started. I would have told myself to take as many classes for college while in high school instead of waiting. I would have chosen to apply for all the scholarships as I could so I wouldn't have to work while to school. I would have made sure that all my grades would have been great and maybe then I would have been chosen to got the their school rather than trying to find a college that had room for me. I would have pushed myself to do the best I could do, rather than just have way.

Northwest Missouri State is very unique compared to many other colleges I looked at. Not only is the faculty amazing and willing to give as much help as you need, but the courses are flexible and unique so you can almost take any class to fit your academic needs. Also Northwest has a beautiful campus with a lot of history and friendly surroundings which helps with your schooling as well.

If I could go back in time and talk to myself as a senior I would have so many things to say about college life. First of all I would tell myself that it would not be as easy as I thought it was. I mean with so much freedom and time, its a whole new ball game to keep focused on the things that matter, like academics. Next I think I would tell me that I should definitely think hard about what I want in a college, not only academics and majors, but social life and extra-curricular activities too. I think the last thing I would tell myself is not to fret too much about college life, because even though its going to be hard, its also going to be one of the greatest experiences of my life so the less I worry about fitting in, and more on making new friends and learning, the easier and more fulfilling it will be.

I believe that people who aren't willing to work shouldn't attend Northwest Missouri State University. Northwest is mainly about academics, and even though the extra-curricular activities are large in number, Northwest is not for those who don't know how to balance their time. Also those who are going to college for reasons other than learning shouldn't attend NWMSU.

Northwest Missouri State University administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.