Northwest Missouri State University

« See more reviews of Northwest Missouri State University

The worst thing about my college would be my battle with keeping my social life separated from my school work. I have struggled to stay in school. Many professors recommend help, but don't offer enough. I'm in a prgram called Student Support Services (SSS) that Northwest Missouri State University offers is somewhat helpful but also provide activities(social involvement) that I shouldn't attend; I should be studying instead. I meet new people, but this school don't focus enough on the students amount of studying, they focus more on student involvement and social activities.

Maryville itself gets far colder than anything I'm used to, which makes walking to class almost unbearable. Also, there should be a kitchen, or at least a sink to do dishes in, on each floor of the Dorm Halls. Having to go to the basement every time dishes need to be done is a pain in the butt. Also, there aren't a lot of quiet, comfortable places to study, especially with internet access. And wireless internet should be available to everyone as long as they have their s-number and password (including off-campus computers.)

Upon pondering this question, it took me awhile to come up with an answer. The school itself is so wonderful. From the campus to the teachers, this education program is amazing. We get laptops and textbooks for little cost, and the ability to succeed is always the number one priority. The only negative thing I can say about the school it that it's location is inconvniant. I am personally not a small town girl, and Maryville, population on 10,000 only holds so much for me. I find myself not having much to do in town..

I think the worst thing about Northwest is it can sometimes be considered a party town. The campus is a "dry campus", where no alcohol is allowed. However, there is always a party somewhere in the small town. The bars also let students in when they turn 19, which causes a huge problem, they may not be allowed to drink, but they usually find a way. This can be a negative image for the University.

After graduating, I realized maybe the small school I attended didn't challenge me enough. The reputation of this small school isn't as credible as a larger state school. Being in a small town, I missed opportunities to work with real businesses and teachers that have much more experience. The Career Services department didn't offer very valuable resources.

Being here in Maryville there is a huge competition to get jobs. If you don't qualify for work study you will not receive campus jobs. It is even kind of hard to get jobs in Maryville off campus. If you need a job, start looking early in the summer when there are actually openings at businesses. If you wait until August to apply, you won't get a job.

Oh the worst thing about Northwest is definitely the weather. I'm from Kansas City and a hundred miles north makes all the difference. We get blizzards and it's freezing when the wind blows in. Maryville is a small town, so if you need anything beyond what the local Wal-mart can provide you have to drive thirty minutes to a bigger city.

The worst thing about my school are the outdated books in my school's library. The majority of the books in the library date as far bask as the 1980's. It would be nice to have new, current books available to us, especially those concerning science and related biological fields.

Because I am a vegetarian, it is very hard to eat here. While the school does offer some healthy vegetarian options, there is rarely any variety and I feel like I eat the same thing over and over again. I eat alot in my room and wish I could use my aladine more often.

Once you get further away from the main campus all there is, is a lot of farmland. Once you get of the main street leading into campus there is not a whole lot of businesses or anything to go to. It is either houses in one direction or farmland in the rest.