Northwest Missouri State University

« See more reviews of Northwest Missouri State University

Schedule as many college visits as possible. Get a feel for the campus: the activities, the classes, dorm-life, etc. Ask as many questions as you can think of. Write down the pros and cons of each college you are considering. Narrow your list of choices until you feel you've found the right college for you. Don't allow your friends, significant other, parents, or anyone else to influence your decision. If you choose a college that suits you, you will be happy and enjoy your college experience. When you've finally kissed your parents good-bye, remember to be responsible. Stay involved on campus with organizations that interest you and may benefit you in the future,. If you are feeling stressed, homesick, lost, or depressed do NOT hesitate to find help. Most campuses have professionals who are waiting to talk with you. They are not there to judge you but to help you cope with the difficulties that come with college life. Go to your school's football game and cheer on your team. Attend a school production. Stay active; join an intramural team. Appreciate the freedom but don't forget to call home every now and then.

During my time at Northwest Missouri State University, I have had numerous fulfilling experiences including community service, leadership skills, excellent training for my field, and life-long friendships. Through my involvement in Sigma Society, I have participated in many different community service activities in our community, as well as in Kansas City. Also, my executive position in this organization has helped me refine my leadership skills even more. Northwest is known for an outstanding Elementary Education program, which is one of the reasons I chose to attend this school. Throughout my classes so far, I have had multiple outstanding experiences that will assist greatly in my pursuit of a teaching career. Ever since my freshman year, I have made some of the best friends possible. I can easily see these friendships staying close to my heart well into the future. My experiences at Northwest have taught me many things, especially who I am and who I want to be. I greatly value the preparation it has provided me for my future career, as well as the appreciation I have learned for what I have and what I can accomplish.

Hello, self. I know you're busy planning for your wedding and your move to Okinawa after graduation, but listen up. There are a few things you need to know about attending college, especially as a military wife. First of all, you will have to switch schools when you PCS, so start with the basic classes.That way when you transfer, hopefully you won't lose any credits. It is also important for you to never assume anything about a college's credit system. Don't assume you know what your AP or transfer credits will count towards. Otherwise, you will end up with several credits that all count toward the same class. Make sure you keep in close contact with your college administration to be sure all of your credits are lining up for your degree plan correctly. It is so important that you are always aware of your progress and that you remain proactive about working towards your degrees. As long as you communicate with your colleges and follow the degree plans, I know you will be fine. With these tips, your college career should be smooth and successful. Enjoy that degree, you will have earned it!

If I could go back and talk to myself as a high school senior, knowing what I know now, I would tell myself to not stress and worry. As a senior in high school the little things in life always seem to create mountains and obstructions ahead. Days seem to never cease with due dates, homework becomes a mess of applications, and you seem like no one understands what you are going through. Well, if I am going back to talk to me, I do understand. I would tell myself, do not worry. You are someone now and you will be someone in the future to come. Little by little taking baby steps to our goal will break those mountains into hills, than grains of sand. I would tell myself, instead of worrying, create an organized schedule. First, take care of yourself and well being. Then tackle the papers needed. Initially, work on applications that need little or no help. Paperwork that require a second opinion, ask and you shall receive the answers and the help you need. There are people surrounding you wanting to help. You are not alone. So Steph do not worry, God has everything under control.

College has opened doors that would have stayed closed had I not attended. I have been blessed to attend a great university that allows me to be individualistic and follow my own path towards graduation. College has allowed me to grow as an individual by learning both in and out of the classroom. My course work prepares me for the real world and one day finding a job in my respective field. My social life has taught me lessons of true friendship, money managment, and even lessons on how to be responsible on my own. I have taken away memories that will last me that I can look back on and enjoy if I ever live far away from my friends. I have taken away the importance of having supporting parents who are there to bail you out of a jam when needed, whether that be mediphorically or physically speaking. College has given me opportunities to help out in the community and part-take in concerts and athletic events. And finally the reason college is so valuable to me is because it has alllowed me grow into a man that will be ready to conquere the world upon graduation.

In my opinion, college is more than just a series of programs and classes designed to earn a degree. So much of what is learned in college has nothing to do with class work. There is a very deep personal evolution that takes place during the college years, perhaps even more so than in high school. Thus, finding the right college means a little more than looking for one with a multitude of degress or a sterling reputation. A good college needs to serve as a true home away from home in which one feels comfortable to grow and explore their potential. The allure of a good college is not how fancy the buildings are or how expensive the equipment in the classes is. Rather, it's the feeling of belonging, of acceptance and encouragment that should spark an interest. For myself, this inviting sense was almost palpable at Northwest and I believe it is because of this enviornment that I have both the confidence and the drive to succeed in the real world. In the end, discovering the right college is like falling in love: it may be unexplainable, but once it happens you know it.

As a senior in high school, I found the process of preparing for the next level of my education to be quite stressful. I was never one to jump the gun without knowing the ramifications of my decisions. The fear of not knowing exactly what I wanted to do in life kept me from attending college my first year out of high school and had me questioning my future. I have attended Northwest Missouri State University for approximately a year now. In doing so, I have been able to gain some very valuable insight from my experiences here. If I were allowed to speak with myself as a senior in high school, I would just share two pieces of wisdom. First, I would suggest a more optimistic outlook on our educational future. I wouldn?t be able to stress enough, how important education is in our lives. The second piece of wisdom I would share with myself is the aspect of college as a shaping tool. I would assure myself that even though I was uncertain about my aspirations in life at this point in time, college would undoubtedly provide the means for us to find out who we are.

When it comes to choosing a college, much of the advice I can give is obvious; look at the school's academic record, the size of the college, the school's location, how much financial aid the school provides, etc. These are all very important. But one thing I really suggest is that you take a campus visit while class is in session. This way you can see how professors interact with students, what classes are like, and even talk to the students about why they chose that school or what campus life is like. Once you've selected the right college and have settled in, get involved. Try any activity that looks interesting or you think may help you with classes. Once you find something you really enjoy, stick with it. Also, get to know some upperclassmen in your department/major. This way, you will have someone you can go to for advice about classes or homework, organizations in that department, or just little questions you might have about getting around on campus. The biggest thing I can say about your college experience is that you'll get out what you put into it.

Don't make decisions on who you want to be and what you want to be too hasty. Life is about learning as you go and developing into the person you are meant to be through life experiences. There is always time to live life, so take it. Don't let the timelines of others control your life. If there is a challenge in front of you take it. You will never regret the risk, you may regret the missed opportunity. And, if you mess up..there is always tomorrow to fix what was done today. Find out who you want to be. Enter college ready to find opportunities, not ready to start your career. Study hard and play hard! As long as you keep up with your classwork, enjoy all the other collegiate experiences to the fullist. Managing multiple facets of life is the key to life long happiness. Success won't find you, you need to find success. Use college as your springboard to gain diversity through others, establish connections for the future and find out who you are and the talents your possess. Use those talents, and you will inevitably impact the future!

Maria Robinson once said, "Nobody can go back and start a new beginning, but anyone can start today and make a new ending." If I could go back in time and talk to myself as a high school senior I wish I could have told myself that. In high school I made a lot of mistakes like not taking my parents advice, not studying as much as a should have, and even taking advantage of my teachers. I would tell myself that instead of dwelling on the past, you should start acting on the things that you wish you could have changed. To start listening to my parents before disagreeing with them, to work harder on homework assignments, and to show my teachers how much I appreciate their help. I would also tell myself that every mistake I make happens for a reason, so just learn from it and grow. The final, perhaps even the most important thing I would tell myself is to make amends with the people I love because once your heart is mended then your future can only become brighter, and possibly even better than you could have imagined with the help of your loved ones.