Nampa, ID
Northwest Nazarene University

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Northwest Nazarene University

Fixed  rate loan

Fixed  rate loan

My college experience has stretched me spiritually, mentally, and emotionally. Daily my professors challenge students to think about situations more in depth and more personally. I have learned to open my mind to different teachings and beliefs before turning away from them, and allow myself to fully process them, whether I choose to believe them or not. This has allowed me to form my own opinions and popular events and debates. NNU has given me an opportunity to create life long friendships with other students, coworkers, and professors. Almost everyone I have met has challenged me in some way, and I have grown spiritually, mentally, and emotionally because of it. NNU has allowed me to grow up and into the world in which we are living.

I wish I had known how hard it would be to get continued financial aid from my major department.

NNU is a friendly, community environment that welcomes anyone who attends or visits.

Amber

Nothing. I knew everything I needed when I came to school.

Nothing. I knew everything I needed when I came to school.

Going to college has helped me grow and mature into the person I'm becoming. College is all about having fun and enjoying your time because this is the one time in life that there are no cares or worries. All I have to worry about is getting my homework done and getting up for class, other than that I have no other responsibilities. I need to learn to not rush this time in my life because before I know it, it will over. With all this said, I need to remember that I do have classes and I cannot forget about that because that, after all, is the main reason I'm attending school. I need a college education in order to obtain a good job so that I can make a decent living afterwards.

The most frustrating thing about my school would have to be that there aren't many places for boys and girls to hangout with each other, not much is coed.

Aaron

College was a good experience for me when I attend 9 years ago. I did not finish college back then, but now I am working on going back to school now. The experience I had years ago was good for me because it allowed me to find out who I was. It also showed me how to take care of myself without my parents. It made me a more mature man, and really set me on my path for life. The experience I will be getting when I go back will help me in the nursing field. I will be going back to school to get my nursing degree. I will be able to help those in need. After watching my wife experience the joy in helping people, I have grown to want the same thing.

Maria

Nobody told me that college was hard, but they also didn?t tell me that it was easy. In my first semester my future caught me out of guard, and left me injured. I thought i was ready and easy, but its not, i learned that everything its new, and i should expects something new of everything i havent done before. I also learnes that i should take a moment of each day to look back and see my mistakes and what I have accomplish. When I have seen all that I will be able to make changes for my future.

I dont lie to anyone, i tell them how exactly college is for me, but i also tell them how we can have different points of view. It is an awesome school, i love the fact that its a small campus, and small classes, you have the attention of your proffesors. They are very activity centered, they have different activities as well as different cources, you have different options to chose from.

Like every other thing, this university has its things, that i dont agree with, we have fines for strict rules. We have curfew, and if your late you get fined, or if you dont get on time to your wing meeting, which we have every tuesday, we get fined. I understand the fact that we should get wing meeting, but they should understand that we have things to do.

I would tell my younger self this: "Grades are very important. Mom and Dad tell you to focus on your studies for a reason. Do not screw around and put things off. You are just going to regret it, in the end. Get all your homework done first, before hanging out with your friends. Do not put your friends before your schoolwork because you are for an education. Friends are great, and the ones you make at college will stay with you forever, but do not go looking for drama to start up. Just do your work, hang out with your friends, and go to bed at a decent time. Also, go to the gym! You will gain weight, and you will hate it! Go to the gym, and work out before you gain too much weight. Remember those four things, and you will be set."

Going into college, I wish I would have known that scholarships are easier to lose than most people think. I wish I would have buckled down more when it came to homework, and I honestly wish I had listened to my mom better because she knew what she was talking about.

I tell all my friends back home about the clean air quality, the snow, and the mountains. Back in my hometown, Bakersfield, California, these are three things you hardly see, if ever. It never snows. The air quality is awful, and you can hardly ever see the mountains. Up here in Idaho, it's very pretty here.

Theron

This school is a very tight community. Everyone knows everyone, which makes it very easy to find things to do and not get caught up in being "just another number like at many other univiersities". The professors are amazing, and the non-professors are possibly the most helpful people you will ever meet.

The advice most relevent to my current situation would have to be to "not worry about the social life, it will sort itself out--just be prepared to work hard because all those around you are doing the same". High school was easy, college takes all that knowledge to the next level while simultaneously requiring you to be on your own and completely responsible for all the are coursework and lifeskills that entails. Help is very easy to find, as long as you are looking in the right places (which generally is outside of your peer group), so don't be afraid to branch out and meet some new people. The beautiful thing about a university is that it brings together so many different people and backgrounds all into one setting of problem solving and critical analysis, where we all fight through the same problems and troubles as everyone else but pick up knowledge and information from people that, without a setting like campus, we would quite honestly never associate with. The university brings people together, but we have to be willing to put in the work to make everything else fall into place.

I wish I had known the difficulties associated with making the transition from high school to college. It is very difficult to teach yourself to study, and is something that should be discovered quickly.

Autumn

If I could go back and talk to myself when I was a senior I would mainly tell myself to not have been so lazy. I wasn?t lazy in school just in the process of filling out scholarships finding ways to make money for school, instead I just enjoyed my senior year without worrying thinking things would come easy to me. Also to make the transition smoother I would?ve said learn how to have designated times for studying make a scheduale and set times away just for doing homework, studying for tests, and relaxing. That kind of a scheduale would?ve made my first couple of weeks go by much smoother and maybe I would?ve gotten more sleep than I did.

I don't like having to be required to live on campus until I am 21. I understand why it's required as a freshman but after that I would like to live somewhere else & truly liv a full college experience.

I always tell how genuine the people are here. You can walk up to any one and carry a conversation with them. I also brag about how the teachers are always willing to help & how I love every teacher I have.

If I were to go back and talk to myself as a high school senior, I would tell myself to not worry about the money and just go where ever I really wanted to attend. Also, I would tell myself to study abroad as soon as possibe. Another thing I would tell myself would be to get as involved as possible as soon as possible and not care what other people think. Being sure and happy with yourself is the most important thing. Pleasing others does not fufill you or help anyone. I learned all these things eventually, but knowing them ahead of time would have made my first year a lot easier and way more fun.

A Christian who cares in combining their faith with their academics and enjoys small community settings.

My classmates are not who I thought they'd be.

Ruben

If I could go back in time and advise my younger self I would tell myself to get involved in extracurricular activities, get a job, and visit and apply to NNU (then) ! I would say all this for a couple of reasons. First I would tell my youngerself to get involved in extracurricular activities like fundraising for school, participate in student government and in various other projects aimed at bettering the school and neighborhood because that kind of drive and determination to step out of ones box and impact ones surroundings is what those that offer scholarships want to see. I would tell myself to get a job in order to help pay off some off the expenses incurred by attending a private institution, because even a little money goes a long way. Lastly I would have included in my message from the future that I should go start applying to NNU and go visit its campus. It has been a good fit here for me, and though the work load kills me I feel comfortable with myself in making the right choice. I thank you this survey has forced me to look back and be proud of my decision.

My school is open and friendly, everyone here feels like he/she is a member of a great big family.

The most frustrating thing about my school is the homework. The load is incredibly long and hard. I am surprised anyone taking 17 credits like me (many) or more have any time at all for friends or fun time!

Never give up on what you feel is the right thing or correct path for your life. Since my sophomore year in high school I desired to go to NNU. When my senior year came around and it came time to discuss financial issues with my parents, I did not think there was going to be any way I could afford to attend. My mom wanted me to attend a community college. I do not feel there is anything wrong with a community college but my heart longed to attend NNU. For the next couple months I worked really hard in applying for some more scholarships to try to make it possible. I was not until the beginning of August that I knew that all my hard work had paid off and I was attending the school of my dreams. I would tell myself to take one step at a time and never give up on my passion. Enjoy life and the transition from home to school life. Get involved and be genuine with people around. I know now that some of my friends that I made the first couple weeks of college with be my best friends for life.

I am not a huge fan of Sodexo Food in our cafeteria, but they have made a large effort this year to make sure there is a wide variety. I have also seen an improvement with the availability of more healthy choices. However, when you become a junior, you are allowed to not have a meal plan at all and cook your own food in your apartment. This is what I have chosen for the year

Someone seeking a great education with professors and staff members who truly do care. A school full of school spirit and pride for our sports and what we stand for as a school. A close knit campus where there is never a dull moment.

Northwest Nazarene University administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.