Northwest Nazarene University Top Questions

Alana

I would tell myself to maintain good grades, take college classes while in high school, and work towards scholorships. Kids do not understand how important school is. Take your youth and focus all of it on school like it is your full time job. You will thank yourself in the long run. But being the 18 year old that I was I simply did not understand this advice.

Liberty

I believe that fear is what grips most young people during a transition between high school and college- fear of the unknown, fear of leaving friends and family, fear of failure, etc. If I could tell my high school self one thing, it would be to abandon fear and wholeheartedly pursue my passions. I would say that if you play it safe, chances are you won't fail. But by playing it safe you are susceptible to an even greater risk of not being fulfilled, and that is much worse than failure. Dreams and ideas are scary, but not as scary as settling. I would urge myself to be vulnerable to both success and failure. In the vulnerability, dreams are fine tuned and gold is created. Put yourself out there, explore uncharted talents, take risks, do what you love, and do not fear a hypothetical situation. Finish the year with no words left unspoken, no ideas left lingering, no regrets of not taking risks. Enter college with a bravery that allows you to make friends, work hard, get involved, and change the world. Fear not; dream on.

Ronny

If I could visit the Ronny Beech who is a senior in high school, I would tell him two things about college life: enjoy the ride and do as much as you can for other people. That's what it is about. Building relationships by investing in others around you and enjoying the things around you as much as possible. This means trying to build meaningfull relationships with professors and students, volunteering time during the week to community organizations/events and attending as many college events as possible such as athletic games and plays. I could delve into logistical advice, such as what classes to take and what to major in, but I won't. All of our hindsight bias is 20/20. All we can do at the time is make the decision we think is best and dive in. If you decide to change your major half way through college, it is pointless to wish you could go back and do it over the way you think you should have. No experience is a wasted experience if you invest in those around you and enjoy the ride.

alyson

I could create an endless list of adive to give my former self. I would begin with handing over a complete guide of the financial aid world; I would stress the importance of financial aid and how expensive school really is. Going along with the expenses part of college, I would advise myself about the trickery of college books. You buy the books for a crazy dollar amount and sell them back for less then 75{4a082faed443b016e84c6ea63012b481c58f64867aa2dc62fff66e22ad7dff6c} of what you paid. A helpful tip I would pass along: Buy used books then sell them to fellow students you know will be taking that class next semester. Fellow students will pay more for your books than the bookstore. The most important peice of adivce I would give to my former self is that your envolvment with the school is just as important as your academic progress. Creating many relationships, prfessional and personal, and involving yourself with the school will create a memorable learning experience.

I would start at a community college to figure out what I want to do and to avoid student loans. After completely my Associate's, then I'd transfer to a 4-year university.

I would tell myself to pay for the A.P. classes and C.P. classes that I took so I would already have a head start on college. I would also try to do more afterschool activities. I would start filling out scholarships during that year so that I had better financial aid. Lastly, I would tell myself to find time to relax because even though all this stuff needed to get done, I shouldn't worry myself so much and have some fun. I would have loved to enjoy being a teen more rather than stressing over my future.

Leah

If I could go back in time and speak to my high school self about college and what I know now, I would definitely tell myself to just be enthusiastic about the transition in every aspect. The transition for me honestly wasn't that hard. The only things that I had difficulties with was simply being overly nervous and scared about starting in a completely different institute. I continued with my focus and good grades, but just remained a very reserved person. I would definitely give my high school self the advice to stand out and not be shy. I ended up making friends quickly enough for being a shy person and I always made good grades, but my nervous attitude about college would have disappeared had I had a lot of confidence in the transition going into it.

christal

I would advice myself to work hard in college. As if I was speaking to myself I would say, "don't give up. I know it seems like the world is against you and I know you feel lonely and discouraged I know you can use education to find something better for yourself. Don't let your dreams go just because people are bringing you down, you're stronger than that. Get involved with student run activities, be appart of something. Make yourself known, make yourself needed. You have something to offer the world, you're a smart girl. Show them that you have that potential. Prove to them and yourself that you are in control of your life, you decide who you're going to be not anyone else but you. You've dreamt big all these years, be persistant and make your dreams a reality." I wasn't as motivated because of a divorce that had occured at the time and I really let myself slip thinking that I had nothing going for me. But others helped me, teachers encouraged me to look past all that and find something better.

Knowing what I know now about college life and making the transition successfully, I would remind myself as a high school senior that this is a big change and it won't be easy. I would tell myself to be open and friendly, make friends and work hard. And don't be afraid to try something new, even if it isn't "your thing". People will get homesick and leave, but surround yourself with the people that are just as excited to be there as you are. Keep in touch with all the members of your family when possible, but become close to those you live with. They will be your family for the year. Do not get so enwrapped in homework that you forget to have fun and friends. And don't let the summers keep you from contacting your new school family.

Dawn

You need to start college right away. You can make the money you will need to get through college, and still gain work experience that you need in life. It is important to find out about the colleges around you so you can make the right decision about where you want to go. Sometimes the most important thing is not going to a college that is widely known. You will need to work hard and not take a break from school. In the long run, it will not benefit you to put your education aside.

Kaitlyn

I would just say take every opportunity that comes your way. Apply to every college your interested in and don't sell youself short. And don't get impatent waiting for college to come. The stage you're in right now can also be fun, exciting, and meaningful if you work to see how you can grow right now.

Tabitha

Research schools thoroughly. Don't choose a school just because it's convenient and you've heard things about it. It's fine to start at a community college, but it's really best to go into it knowing what school you're going to transfer to, so that you can tailor your education there to fit with what you'll need at your four year univeristy. And even if you think you know what school you want to go to, ask an advisor or someone about other schools: it really is worth it. Pay attention to what your advisors say, since they really do know more about what credits you need than you do, despite what you may think. It's good to get second opinions on everything, though, and to take time making big decisions.

Brianna

I would encourage myself to take more AP classes to get prerequisites out of the way. I would start looking for scholarships earlier and do my best in order to get the highest grades possible so I understand things better as well as make more opportunities to earn scholarships. I'd work on making good habits so that it would not be as difficult to transition into college life.

Amy

Try to take different classes, you never know what you will like. You dont have to make a decision about what you want to do today just stay positive and work hard.

Andrea

Not becoming a student until after my thirties, the first advice I would give myself now is to apply myself in high school and push myself to achieve excellence in my high school academics - take school more seriously. I would also advise myself to apply for college and stay determined to attend regardless of the obstacles that arose. I would try to explain to myself that I should trust myself and stay confident and determine and not to lose sight of my goals.

Richard

I've learned that no matter what has happened in your past or what you've done, you can always pick yourself up and move forward if you put forth the effort. My college experience has been valuable to me because it was in college that I received the push that I needed to take control of my life, and be the best person that I can be. Through the good and bad college has taught me a lot, and I know that if I keep trying and if I keep pushing forward I will succeed!

Jeanette

I recently became a single mother. I have two children. My son has a brain disease called Sturge-weber and suffers from seizures. I have decided to go to school to become a physician assistant so that I am able to provide for three of us. I have a great support system which will help me to accomplish my goals. As a physician assistant I hope to help some of the people in my community who cannot afford expensive health care costs. I also plan to attend mission trips where my services will be needed. Currently I am attending my community college part-time, raising my two beautiful children, and working as a part-time janitor. Being able to attend college is very important to me because it will help me to become financially independent, and give me the opportunity to pursue my passion for medicine. Thank you for this opportunity.

Janelle

I learned that it best to be well-rounded, but also to have a specialty. A specialty in a certain field helps provide direction and meaning in life. When a person knows an ample amount in one area, they are more apt to be hired and they also have more self-confidence. Knowing a little in many subject areas is useful in social situations. Also, a person never knows what job they will have so a broad knowledge base will always be useful in life. In college, I received both a wide range of knowledge and a degree in my specific field.

Amelia

Though it is expensive, I choose Northwest Nazarene University because it is a good investment for my future. Here, they encourage their students to study various subjects in order to become a more rounded person. They want their students to be driven by a goal of excellence to glorify God to do their very best in their work and studies, not just the minimal amount. It may take four or more years to complete my degree but I will be better suited for any job once I start working. NNU also teaches its students to have a humble heart, striving to serve the community. Instead of working for a high paycheck, I will be working towards developing my efforts on helping my community. NNU educates its students to look at multiple perspectives, allowing them to make better, more educated, life choices.

Kaytlin

NNU is a Christian college but it is also an Academic university. A spiritual environment and a challenging academic setting have been two of the most beneficial things about NNU. Campus life has also been a huge factor; NNU is designed to have a place for almost anyone to have fun and to grow with God. As a Freshman I came to college shy and unsure but as my freshman year ends I am more confident and closer to God than I ever have been.

My college experience has stretched me spiritually, mentally, and emotionally. Daily my professors challenge students to think about situations more in depth and more personally. I have learned to open my mind to different teachings and beliefs before turning away from them, and allow myself to fully process them, whether I choose to believe them or not. This has allowed me to form my own opinions and popular events and debates. NNU has given me an opportunity to create life long friendships with other students, coworkers, and professors. Almost everyone I have met has challenged me in some way, and I have grown spiritually, mentally, and emotionally because of it. NNU has allowed me to grow up and into the world in which we are living.

Amber

Going to college has helped me grow and mature into the person I'm becoming. College is all about having fun and enjoying your time because this is the one time in life that there are no cares or worries. All I have to worry about is getting my homework done and getting up for class, other than that I have no other responsibilities. I need to learn to not rush this time in my life because before I know it, it will over. With all this said, I need to remember that I do have classes and I cannot forget about that because that, after all, is the main reason I'm attending school. I need a college education in order to obtain a good job so that I can make a decent living afterwards.

Aaron

College was a good experience for me when I attend 9 years ago. I did not finish college back then, but now I am working on going back to school now. The experience I had years ago was good for me because it allowed me to find out who I was. It also showed me how to take care of myself without my parents. It made me a more mature man, and really set me on my path for life. The experience I will be getting when I go back will help me in the nursing field. I will be going back to school to get my nursing degree. I will be able to help those in need. After watching my wife experience the joy in helping people, I have grown to want the same thing.

Maria

Nobody told me that college was hard, but they also didn?t tell me that it was easy. In my first semester my future caught me out of guard, and left me injured. I thought i was ready and easy, but its not, i learned that everything its new, and i should expects something new of everything i havent done before. I also learnes that i should take a moment of each day to look back and see my mistakes and what I have accomplish. When I have seen all that I will be able to make changes for my future.

I would tell my younger self this: "Grades are very important. Mom and Dad tell you to focus on your studies for a reason. Do not screw around and put things off. You are just going to regret it, in the end. Get all your homework done first, before hanging out with your friends. Do not put your friends before your schoolwork because you are for an education. Friends are great, and the ones you make at college will stay with you forever, but do not go looking for drama to start up. Just do your work, hang out with your friends, and go to bed at a decent time. Also, go to the gym! You will gain weight, and you will hate it! Go to the gym, and work out before you gain too much weight. Remember those four things, and you will be set."

Theron

The advice most relevent to my current situation would have to be to "not worry about the social life, it will sort itself out--just be prepared to work hard because all those around you are doing the same". High school was easy, college takes all that knowledge to the next level while simultaneously requiring you to be on your own and completely responsible for all the are coursework and lifeskills that entails. Help is very easy to find, as long as you are looking in the right places (which generally is outside of your peer group), so don't be afraid to branch out and meet some new people. The beautiful thing about a university is that it brings together so many different people and backgrounds all into one setting of problem solving and critical analysis, where we all fight through the same problems and troubles as everyone else but pick up knowledge and information from people that, without a setting like campus, we would quite honestly never associate with. The university brings people together, but we have to be willing to put in the work to make everything else fall into place.

Autumn

If I could go back and talk to myself when I was a senior I would mainly tell myself to not have been so lazy. I wasn?t lazy in school just in the process of filling out scholarships finding ways to make money for school, instead I just enjoyed my senior year without worrying thinking things would come easy to me. Also to make the transition smoother I would?ve said learn how to have designated times for studying make a scheduale and set times away just for doing homework, studying for tests, and relaxing. That kind of a scheduale would?ve made my first couple of weeks go by much smoother and maybe I would?ve gotten more sleep than I did.

If I were to go back and talk to myself as a high school senior, I would tell myself to not worry about the money and just go where ever I really wanted to attend. Also, I would tell myself to study abroad as soon as possibe. Another thing I would tell myself would be to get as involved as possible as soon as possible and not care what other people think. Being sure and happy with yourself is the most important thing. Pleasing others does not fufill you or help anyone. I learned all these things eventually, but knowing them ahead of time would have made my first year a lot easier and way more fun.

Ruben

If I could go back in time and advise my younger self I would tell myself to get involved in extracurricular activities, get a job, and visit and apply to NNU (then) ! I would say all this for a couple of reasons. First I would tell my youngerself to get involved in extracurricular activities like fundraising for school, participate in student government and in various other projects aimed at bettering the school and neighborhood because that kind of drive and determination to step out of ones box and impact ones surroundings is what those that offer scholarships want to see. I would tell myself to get a job in order to help pay off some off the expenses incurred by attending a private institution, because even a little money goes a long way. Lastly I would have included in my message from the future that I should go start applying to NNU and go visit its campus. It has been a good fit here for me, and though the work load kills me I feel comfortable with myself in making the right choice. I thank you this survey has forced me to look back and be proud of my decision.

Never give up on what you feel is the right thing or correct path for your life. Since my sophomore year in high school I desired to go to NNU. When my senior year came around and it came time to discuss financial issues with my parents, I did not think there was going to be any way I could afford to attend. My mom wanted me to attend a community college. I do not feel there is anything wrong with a community college but my heart longed to attend NNU. For the next couple months I worked really hard in applying for some more scholarships to try to make it possible. I was not until the beginning of August that I knew that all my hard work had paid off and I was attending the school of my dreams. I would tell myself to take one step at a time and never give up on my passion. Enjoy life and the transition from home to school life. Get involved and be genuine with people around. I know now that some of my friends that I made the first couple weeks of college with be my best friends for life.

Becky

I would tell myself to find many places and events to be involved in. Knowing people, and having new friends who love you makes a world of difference. Hang on to the good friends you have now, because as you are committed to them, they will be faithful to you and give you the best home base you could ever have. Work hard in school, but don't worry if you don't get perfect grades or not, because who you are isn't based on your statistics. Continually check your priorites and make sure they are in line. And finally, smile, relax and enjoy the experience to the fullest.

Leithan

take more math courses and try to get more AP classes

When looking for a college you should consider what your family can afford of course but there is no point in choosing a school that you are gloing to hate for the next 2-4 years! The college I chose strains my family's budget but I feel as though I am at home when at school and don't feel the unnecessary stress of a bad enviroment. When looking for a college try and stay in the dorms and eat the food. I can't believe people would choose a school without eating the food first! Meeting the professors is also important because if you have a special way of learning you need a professor who will help you and not be calloused about it. When I walked onto my campus I felt as if I was smacked over the head with the feeling that this was the place where I could become an adult and learn not just about my intended career but also about who I am, and who I want to be. Trust your heart and the right college will come to you.

Tammy

When choosing a college, it is a good idea to make sure that it offers career plan that you are interested in and you know that you will love. In order to have a successful experience at your college of choice, it is important to live the life you love and love the life you live. One thing that I have leared in my years as a college student is that,it is okay to change your career plan in order to move closer to one that makes you the happiest. Also, allow yourself to have some fun outside of just going to classes. if you do this you may find that life can be more enjoyable and less stressful. Don't allow yourself to become so burried in your classes and homework that you miss what it is to be a college student. Learn all that you can and make the most of what you learn.

I think that parents should encourage their child to visit perspective college to get a feel for what they want. Some people like the small school feel while other don't want that at all. Also, the parents should support their child decsion in the school. When you have parents who are behind the choosing process it makes things go smoother, and usually things work out much better. Letting your child experience college fr themselves I think is probably the best advice I could say. Just try things out, you can make mistakes and realize what you want and don't want in life.

Eric

Visit the school before making your decision and go in with the knowledge that you're not stuck with what the school offers. It's your choice to pursue a career and participate in your education. Pick the school that will help you do that, but know that it's still your choice to succeed or not.

My advice to students would be to go to a school that you feel comfortable and safe at. That will allow you to get the most out of your education. I also encourage students to double-major or pick up a few minors if they have multiple interests and aren't sure what to do. You may be in college longer, but that isn't as big a deal in college as it is in high school. And that way you will truly be able to discover the line of work you want to pursue.

Parents do not hover over your children during the first years of college, because students learn many valuable liofe lessons during college. I can garantee see some choices are not going to be the best choices but this will lead to a stronger individual later in life. Try to support your child the best you can, and the will succeed. Also go for what you want in a college, and if it doesn't work out, there's always plan B. Don't be afraid to take advantage of school resources such as counseling, tutoring and other activies provided by the school and student body. Get invovled!

Joelle

I am a student admissions counselor and interact with high school students on a regular basis concerning this issue. Of course, before a school can be eligible for consideration it must offer the right major(s) and should be affordable for the student. In addition, a campus visit (hopefully including a few nights in the dorms/apartments and class visitations) prove vital in almost every case. A student's heart deserves to embrace a new environment. From this time spent on campus one establishes an instinct toward the university, which proves vital for future conduct, respect, involvement, energy, and effort in one's future college lifestyle. If a student senses even a slight ownership in a selected school their performance and attitude will be healthy and resilient to the adjustments and pressures of university life. However, my experience concludes that above all the assessment of the quality of the staff and faculty must be involved when choosing a university to attend. Regardless of an excellent student body, a community will be incomplete without the involvement and heart of the professors who touch students' lives every day. A student's academic success improves if professors prove caring, respectable, energetic, and personable.

Charissa

Apply to a lot of colleges. Don't just assume one or two is enough. The more colleges you apply to the more they will fight over you. Oh, and get good grades!

Zach

Search out all school options that fit your needs regardless of their costs. You can then narrow them down by the packages they offer you. You need to pick out schools that have the major or majors your are looking for. Also other majors of interest, because it is not uncommon for a student to change their minds during the college process. Make sure you pick colleges that have a climate you will like as well as an area you are comfortable in. It is important to feel comfortable in your surroundings as well as being comfortable in the classroom. Always give a school a year before deciding it is not for you. Sometimes it takes that long to get acquainted with the area, the school and the people.

Charlotte

Let your kids pick the school they want, nnu is not for everyone so don't force it on your own children.

Chip

When selecting a college look at the people who a student will be assosiating with and how much proffessors are willing to take out their time to help students. Also parents need to look at the availability of extracaricular activities that their child might be interested in.

Danielle

Go visit the campus before hand and get to know the professors that you may have with your intended major.

.

Jeffrey

think hard about it

Roland

I would say find the college that is right for your kids, that guides them in their belief practices, and allows your children to be who they want to be, not what others make them to be

Kristen

The academic program is an important thing to consider, but I think the atmosphere you will be living in is even more important because it will play such a big role in how you develop as a person.

kyle

I would say go visit the campus to get a feel for it. Also talk to students there and talk to those who have graduated to find out about the school. Also talk to the staff and professors there. To get a better idea of the school.

Lydia

Do your research. Don't be afraid to ask questions. Don't let financial aid deter you from the school of your dreams. If you're supposed to be there, the money will work out.