San Antonio, TX
Northwest Vista College

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Northwest Vista College

Amy

To be honest, the unique thing about this campus is that its very eye-catching for a community college. And that there are random events that just happen out of nowhere. Another thing to add is how artistic it looks, not to mention when a student will openly strum a guitar and start singing. For the most part though, the area is peaceful, there is a cafe available next to the library, which I believe creates a relaxing aura.

I would have wished that much of the tutoring is actually done in study groups since there is only a minimum of 4 total tutors to actually help. Before coming to this campus, it would have been much appreciated that all the work load would only come from certain classes and others for not. But most importantly it would have been nice to know that much of the student population is a bit shy while other are a just rude. And that this would be a little bit hard to even make new friends without first having friends.

Jesse

The best thing about going to NVC is that I was given the knowledge needed to succeed and access to very informative and excellent professors that were always willing to help. Other students were overall great in their own ways and I loved getting to know a variety of people. Sure, there are a few professors or students that you just won't like or won't get along with, but it's not hard to find a prof that you can go to for guidance nor is it difficult to meet a student that you'll get along with. The only thing I would change about the campus is the poor way it promotes clubs and campus activities. My time at NVC has been great, but not until the last two semesters did it ever feel like a true "college" in terms of the community. The diversity on campus has definitely led to one group not realizing another group exists. A perfect example: I am on the Cross Country team, and people did not realize we even had a team, much less a gym! There needs to be better promotion of the variety of offerings around the campus (that rivals virtually any other school in the SA-Area), as well as less "red-tape" between departments. Oh yeah, and parking, but what college doesn't have that problem? NVC is the perfect size. not too large to get lost in the crowd, not so small that you won't meet anyone or get an introduction to the 'college' experience. Definitely felt my time there was a great stepping stone to transfer to a 4 year university. I STRONGLY RECOMMEND YOU GET AN ASSOCIATE DEGREE BEFORE TRANSFERRING!! Honestly, this school is up and coming, which is a double-side sword. Every time I mentioned NVC, it was meant with a look of confusion or disdain towards community colleges in general. In the SA-Area, the "premiere" community college (can you believe that's a thing?) is considered to be San Antonio College, but that's going to change in the next few years if NVC keeps going in the direction it's going. NVC offers so much more than people would readily expect; a perfect example comes from their budding DVCP/RTF program, that offers technology beyond what other colleges in the state can compete with (http://nvcdigitalmedia.com/lab/). There are multiple places around the campus to chill at, depending on what kind of student you end up meshing with, but generally the spots that everyone hangs out at are in the areas surrounding the lake: Outside the "Cypress Campus Center" and the "Cyber Cafe", which is located next to the library. Good place to see clubs having meetings, budding musicians playing some jams, and beautiful scenery. Not much school pride yet, but it's difficult for a 2-year college to really get a fanbase going. However, I do think that as time goes on, NVC students will become more proud of their college. The thing every complains about is the parking, the way the departments don't seem to work together on things, and how badly academic advising is. I already stated my opinion the depts, and parking is something that's a problem on virtually every college campus, so instead I'll explain why I somewhat agree about the advising. The advisors at NVC aren't 'degree specific' and instead just take students on a crash course of their degree plans without getting to know the student or the program they are under. My recommendation to incoming/current students: Talk to your degree program's coordinator or a professor/teacher that deals with students within that program. I did this and I never felt misguided by the coordinator. To find out who that is, all you have to do is ask or go to the nvc website and look under the program you're trying to follow. I know some of them are harder to find than others (like the Allied Transfer students), but even in the most dire cases, just asking questions helps.

Holy cow, there are quite a few different things you can do here. The most popular thing to do at NVC seems to be the budding Performance Arts program and the DVCP program. The sports area is also growing but has trouble gaining traction because games and information aren't advertised to well and most games are played during the week when students might be studying; the director for the Vista Sports program has told me that most of those in attendance are family members and not other students. We get some awesome speakers to come to campus, and there are groups that organize events like rock-climbing, bowling nights, golf days, etc. Oh yeah, and we have a mini-ropes course and a disc golf (field?). NVC has a fitness center, a track, an open gym, trails to go biking/running, an auditorium, a blackbox, a green screen studio, a sound studio, and much more. The dating scene at NVC is pretty awesome. I've met a lot of girls throughout my time there and there wasn't a semester where I didn't find a girl to spend time with. When it comes to friends, I was in the same boat; virtually every class I found a friend. As far as when parties happen, depends on who you know really, but there have been semesters where I was out every other night and the nights I wasn't out I was working ahead on homework knowing I wouldn't have time to work on it later.

Starting answThe academics are greater than one might expect from a community college. I've been given access to professors that were truly informed and experts in the field they were teaching. I did not have one single professor that I did not find rewarding for taking, even if I did not get along with their personality type or method of teaching; each of them were obviously intellectual. Professors will know two types of students: The ones that are constantly pushing themselves to make good grades, and the ones that are constantly trying to see how much they can get away with. However, the middle ground students, be it due to their own lack of ability or what have you, won't go forgotten and the class sizes make it easy for professors to recognize and remembers students by name. Depending on the professor, you may need to be studying material every night or may spend nights working on projects/papers instead. In the classes where you are doing projects/papers, the class discussion is usually met with high student participation, but of course you'll meet a few students that don't want to participate, be it out of their attitude or their shyness. In my major of New Media Communications, I was able to find classes that I could easily apply to my degree, be them core classes or electives. For example, my history courses were "United States History 1 (Revisionist, Rebels, and Revolutionaries)" and "United States History 2 (History through film)", both of which were awesome to me because the things were talked about had some relation to media in some way. Another example was my literature class that dealt with novels that had been turned into film adaptations and implored the students to comprehend the art of taking a book and bringing it to life in film. Even my math class had a focus on film at one point! It was great to find these classes and if you analyze the catalog well enough, you can definitely find a class that fits your taste. The education here is split between academic and workforce, for budgetary reasons. The main thing professors want to make sure of is that you learn what they teach you so you can be successful in your own way. ering!

Relaxed, Talented, Sociable, Respectful.You'll find a good amount of every stereotype at this campus and any newcomer can easily find their niche.

I would have to travel quite a ways back in time to talk to my high school self, but I wish I could, and help break through the thick skull that was! I would let me know that taking a 'semester' off after high school is not the great idea it sounds like, and can turn into years. Also, I would try to hammer home that my education is for my benefit; a choice that I should make and respect because life without it is lacking. Therefore, treat it seriously, and embrace it for the opportunity it is, not as a burden to be avoided. As you focus on your personal experience, let the pressures you feel from family and friends fall to the side. This is for YOU. College is a blessing not to be taken lightly. Don't fear the economic repercussions, for the willing truly do find a way. Between scholarships, grants, and loans, there is no reason not to jump in and seize the chance at an infinitely better tomorrow.

I wish I had more prior knowledge of the various instructors for the course. Certain styles of teaching allow me to become more easily engaged than others, and I would have chosen my classes accordingly.

The sort of person who shouldn't attend this school would be one looking for a rowdy or crowded college atmosphere. If they enjoy smoking between classes or have a hard time not littering, then this is not the school for them.

Karin

NVC is beautiful, expansive and offers an astounding selection of courses so long as you can put up with the nightmare of finding a place to park on campus.

I?m here to make you rethink how you plan to spend the next five years of your life so you'll come out of it a better person. This means hard work and plenty of ambition, two concepts that aren?t new to you after graduating a year early. Attending college isn?t as stressful as you think. If you?re unsure of funding don?t be afraid of investing in a loan, just be smart about it. As for finding the right path, you have to figure that out but know it takes some level of effort. Research an internship, volunteer, or even explore your options during college enrollment so long as you keep moving. Don?t be so concerned with the overall degree that you miss out on the benefit of learning entirely. Once you graduate it won?t matter how long it took to get there. Get involved with school whenever possible, especially in areas that interest you, and take advantage of the contacts you meet. And always remember the path to finding yourself is about the journey, not the destination. If you don?t like where you?re going, do something about it today.

The selection of classes is amazing for a community college. They also use state of the art equipment for most all of their classes so no matter what you're studying you can expect to use the same equipment & computer programs in that exact career field, regardless of what your focus is. The last community college I went to had one building (NVC has 8) and, while it was still a nice campus it really only offered classes within the core curriculum.

Well there is great diversity in my classmates. We have teens just out of high school all the way up to 50 and 60 year old men and women with families as well as active duty military students, students with disabilities, religous, and foreign students. Classrooms are mixed with races, ages, languages, and backgrounds.

If I could go back and tell myself, at 17, about my future I would tell myself to take life as it comes and climb obstacles following my conscience! I could tell myself plenty of things to do the right way like study harder, take core classes while figuring out what I want, or not put college on hold for a boyfriend but I'm not sure that would matter. At 17 many of us dont want to follow advice, including our own. I've suffered hardships but it's made me the person I am. College life is a different experience for everyone. For some it's all study, no play and graduate with honors, some raise children or siblings while taking classes, and some party and still graduate. If I did follow my advice, though, I would tell myself practice good study habits and that nursing is what I want to do and by 24 years old I would've graduated, had a career, and been further ahead in life. But our minds change as we grow, so I could give that 17yo advice but would I have followed ALL of it, even knowing what I know now?

It is a beautiful campus, the classrooms have big windows with lots of lighting, the campus is VERY eco-friendly and there is a great diversity in students attending the school. The school is growing fast and as it grows they are offering more and more activities and events to attend which is also a good way of meeting other students. Many of the professors are very good and helpful and the school offers online classes as well for those with very busy schedules.

Andrea

My school is diverse and expanding everyday.

My school is diverse and expanding everyday.

I would sit my self down and say, "Andrea, college is an experience that you will enjoy. You will learn new things everyday, meet new people and get the opportunity to find out what you are really passionate about. I know your nervous because you think the workload is going to be crazy, but don't think about what other people are telling you. Take this chance and run with it. What have you got to lose?"

I think the most frustrating thing about my school is the parking. Even if you try and get there early to find a spot, you may be driving around for 45 minutes to an hour trying to find a place to park.

Mary

I would tell myself to find more money for school and look for scholarships there is so much out there and I wish I would have looked for more. I would have also stressed to save more money, be a little more frugal. As a senior, like many of my peers, I was so petrified of the college experience and how the college system worked. I didn't understand credits and how they worked or what classes to pick, starting college was so intimidating and overwhelming I was so lost! They also have maps of the campus available for a reason, I really wish I would have studied one before the first day, that way I could have tackled my first day with a little more confidence instead of like a fish out of water.

Anyone who likes a small class size, or who want a personal and hands on college college experience.

The campus is gorgeous and the teachers are extraordinary!

Yolonda

Northwest Vista has the same culture and diversity of San Antonio and I feel that is unique. Because of the smaller class sizes at Vista, we often collaborate with other students. It allows different perspectives on the topic to be shared and discussed. This sometimes not only challenges the professor, but also the students. The culture and diversity at my school makes it a special place to attend.

If I could return to being a high school senior, I would advise myself to work hard in school now; there is plenty of time to play later. I am a non traditional student returning to school with a family and a fulltime job. With so many adult responsibilities, it is difficult to manage and balance family, school and work. While in high school, most of that responsibility is still on the parents. I would advise any high school student to take advantage of certain freedoms while they can. In addition, I would say not to be so quick to be grown up. Being an adult and having responsibilities will eventually come with time. For now, work hard in school, stay focused and have fun being a kid.

I like my school because it's a small community. The campus is large, but the classes are small. You have more of direct connection with the professors and other classmates than at a large University. I believe the first two years of school will really make or break a students desire to continue in pursuit of their degree. Another thing that I really like about my school is that it is a smoke free campus.

Octivia

My classmates are very considerate toward others and themselves, they treat everyone equally and with respect.

My school is best known for somewhere to start to better your education and yourself.

College life is a very big step in any persons life. A lot of seniors think that just passing by is good enough, but passing by just isn't going to give you the education you need and deserve. As a senior the student should prepare themselves ahead of time and not just when college is going to begin. My parents wanted me to apply for more scholarships and grants when I was a High School senior but i kept procrastinating to do what I needed to do and in the end I didnt get to go to the University I really wanted to go to. I ended up going to a community college and I do believe it's better than not going to a college at all, but going to a University is where I always dreamed of going and because I wasn't mentally prepared and ready I missed out on a great opportunity. I am now acting like a college student and preparing myself for anything that will come my way. If i was back in time I would tell myself to be prepared and work as hard as I can to achieve what i want.

Northwest Vista College administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.