Orange City, IA
Northwestern College

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Northwestern College

Chelsie

Honestly, I do not know. It is a Seventh Day Adventist program and has an outstanding Master's in Social Work program. I like the fact that I am enrolled as a full-time student and have classes one day a week. This allows me to still work full-time during the rest of the week.

I know you are nervous about going to a different state to attend college. Remember how this has been your dream since you were little and your parents are so supportive. A new state and environment are going to be intimidating but you are a little socialite and will have no problems making friends on the first day. Your gift of socializing also comes with responsibilites. Make sure you limit yourselft to how much time you spend with your friends. School is so important to your future that much time will be needed on your studies. Find an even balance between your passion for people and learning must-needed things for your degree. Remember that you will learn just as much outside the classroom as you will in it. Don't be afraid of taking risks-you never know what path they may lead you down so be careful and wise about which ones you take. Sometimes it is okay to say No. Always be open-minded but firm in your own beliefs and values. Most of all, do not forget who you are and who you belong to-this is the time to solidify your life. Enjoy every moment.

Currently, the most frustrating thing is that some of the professors are not very stable. One professor has canceled meetings at the last moment and has handed out major, important paperwork that was unknown to the students with only two weeks left in the quarter. It has been frustrating but has taught me to be on top of things and to make sure that everything else is done so that when these surprises come up, they are easily handled.

A strong community atmosphere, with the professors that have the students best intrestes in mind.

I would tell myself to take as many AP courses as possible and make sure I am very involved during my last year of high school. Also I would have to say it was kind of a shock when college classes first started. I would tell myself to not be afraid of all of the studying and to take advantage of the professors and their willingness to help. I would also tell myself to do all of the problems that are assigned from the begining because they really help alot when it comes to test. Lastly, I would say don't give up. It has been an amazing first semester and I can't wait to see what is ahead. Its just the start of my life.

This school is in a small town so there is not a lot to do outside of the school but there are always people around willing to make up things to do. Also this tends to be a school where people are mostly christian so there are some stricter rules but they are for the safety and hearts of all of the students.

Josh

I would tell them that even though I though I was very busy my senior year in high school, to still take time to apply for scholarships.... they help you stay out a debt. College costs a lot of money!!!

I wish I would of known how much time I would need to spend on my school work.

If you just want to drink, party and have a "good" time then this school is not for you.

Kayli

Northwestern is a good college and want there students to succeed in life.

Northwestern is a good college and want there students to succeed in life.

I would tell myself to stay focused all the time. Learn to me a better time manager and get things done on time or before they are due. I would tell myself to jump right in to things and not be scared to try new things. I would teach myseld how to balance my social life and school life so I wouldn't feel like they where running into each other. Most importantly I would tell myself to relax, meet as many new people as you can, learn a lot and enjoy college while I'm there.

The kind of person that should attend Northwestern is a hard working individual but also an individual that likes to have fun and participate in crazy campus activities.

My classmates are wonderful. The fact that I can get a completely random set of personalities to brighten my day makes me so very happy. I am an extravert and having, as mentioned earlier, a diverse campus has its benefits when it comes to types of personalities. They are hard workers and are very helpful.

Make the best out of the gifts God has given you. He will provide you with opportunities and will be with you every step of the way. Trust in him and remember to honor him in everything you do. And the people that come into your life... love them and do everything you can to let them know you do. Life is short but full of so many possibilities, work as hard as you can and push yourself because it is a true sign of character. Dont ever for a second doubt yourself or feel like your not worth what you have. Thank those who helped you get to where you are and remember to love. In everything you do, love.

There is a place for everyone here at Northwestern. Everyone is accepting of others and gets along with one another. Its amazing the feeling you get just walking down the sidewalk and having every student say hello. Makes you feel at home and cared for. Northwestern may be diverse but it is a caring community who seeks the best for every individual no matter where they come from.

Sara

The majority of my classmates are hard-working, fun-loving, and friendly.

The majority of my classmates are hard-working, fun-loving, and friendly.

Start good habits now. If you already have, don't let them fall apart! After two full years of college I have finally figured out that in order to maintain good habits, it takes intentional decisions to be consistent. I am thinking specifically of sleep habits and study habits (sleeping and studying make up a lot of college life, after all). I have had way too many short nights, and a perpetual lack of sleep makes life seem exponentially more difficult. I have found that it is better to go to bed and get decent rest than it is to stay up all night slaving over a philosophy essay or meticulously studying every last biology note. As far as study habits...it is far less stressful to start studying and writing papers generously ahead of the due date (duh). Sure it works to do it the night before, but then I'm up way too late (bad sleep habit) and potentially sacrificing other commitments I have made (irresponsible). I want to live a consistent, controlled, healthy lifestyle as a student and as a professional. And doing so actually helps me focus more on other people than myself.

The kind of person who would do especially well at this school is someone who is serious about searching out or growing in Christian faith. This school is also for the person who wants to make close friends and for the person who wants to know how they can make a difference in the world. This person should also be willing to live under somewhat conservative rules and in a rather small community.

Molly

Be brave making new connections with many peers and faculty members. Relationships will be key for needed guidance, as well as forming purposeful learning communities. Make sure to get involved in extra curricular activities and groups, but only as much as you can handle while getting your studies. As a senior, it would be beneficial to do some job shadowing to get a better understanding of what different occupations have to offer. During your senior year, it would also be helpful to practice your independence in different areas including: time management, study strategies, laundry, and money management. Remember that college is a prepatory step to the rest of your life so you should take your studies seriously, but not yourself all the time! It's okay to change your major, and you probably will at least once. If you are struggling in a class, don't just drop the class because it will stay on your record. Instead, you should talk with your professor, take advantage of review sessions, and tutoring sessions. Last, but not least take care of yourself by getting plenty of rest, eating a balanced diet, and exercise regularly!

An person with a desire to learn and worship Christ in a community environment.

It is fairly small which can limit the opportunities for your class schedule; for example, some courses needed for my major were only offered every other year only in the spring which caused a few headaches.

Lisa

Awesome and great friends for the most part. I get along with most people.

Awesome and great friends for the most part. I get along with most people.

The advice that I would give both parents and students about finding the right college and making the most of the college expereince is this. Go to as many colleges as you can for college visit days to check out the school, eat the food, attend a class, and see the dorms. It really comes down to a "gut feeling" when you finally decide. You have to know you made the right choice, and this has a way of showing in certain ways, like how everthing thing seems to fall in place for a certain college. For example, my good friends are going there, they have my major, and I got a great scholarship. In regards to making the most of the college experience, I would say to just enjoy it and to not worry. College is a great time in a person's life and it really only comes around once, before the work day world begins after college graduation. Grow, go out for clubs and activities. Embrace life. Life only comes around once and I truly believe that we need to live each day to the fullest. Thank you for reading my advice.

It tends to be conservative at times. It is reformed religion, and sometimes, I think it gets caught in the politics of running a school and also being associated with a church.

Andrea

My classmates are hard-working, fun-loving, and studious students.

My classmates are hard-working, fun-loving, and studious students.

Make sure you take time to visit the campus. Meet with professors. Eat lunch with current students. Attened a campus sporting event. Get a feel for the atmosphere of the campus and the surrounding community. While on campus ask students what they dislike about the college. Often times they will give a genuine answer and you, as a prospective, can learn a lot about a college by current students' complaints. Do you like what you see? Can you see yourself fitting in? Besides the social aspect, it is also crucial to make sure the college offers the major you are interested in. After all, academics is ultimately the reason why students attend college. What about the cost of tuition? Everyone is going to have student loans, and so cost of tuition should not be the deciding factor. Don't settle for a college simply because it is cheap. Lastly: try new things, get involved, take risks, stretch yourself, be you!

I wish I knew how strict Northwestern was about campus policies.

Northwestern College administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.