Orange City, IA
Northwestern College

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Northwestern College

Sylvia

Most of my classmates are in the same department, but since i've changed my major a lot, i can say that across the board my classmates have been very helpful and accomodating.

don't go somewhere just because it's cheaper/more affordable than where you want to go. sometimes it will be tough to find the money, but if/when you find it, the experience will be worth it.

The best thing about this school is that, though it may not be the best place to be anything other than a conservative christian type, a lot of the professors -- at least in the history, psychology, art, and theatre departments -- are good to talk to about views that differ from the norm...politically, religiously, and in reference to sexuality.

Kristen

A whole education for your whole life with an emphasis on integrating faith and learning.

College is too expensive and too big of an investment of time to waste or make a hasty decision about. It's a decision that needs not to be made lightly, but only after careful consideration of the effects of the decision. I think that college is one of the greatest times in a person's life but can only be that way if a student ends up at the right school. While I believe that it is important for parents to have some impact, or voice, on the chioce of schools a student decides on, it should ultimately be the student's decision because it is their education and their experience. Going to a school that a student doesn't want to be at won't promote learning, but will more likely permeate a dissatisfication of the school and the education and may push the student away from their degree and their family. I think the most important part in choosing a school is visiting it! Go on a tour, stay in the dorms, and eat the food... that's real- you can't fake it. What you experience there is what it will be like!

I love the fact that NWC integrates faith and learning and that I am able to openly express my faith and discuss it in class. I really love the campus and the community and the people who invest in our lives!

Caleb

They're fun, friendly, and helpful

They're fun, friendly, and helpful

When trying to decide on a college to attend for your career there is one factor, if not the most important factor which is visiting college beforehand. I?d recommend at least two different visits, one with parents, and the other one where just the student visits. These two visits can tell you a lot about the college. The first thing is it will show the parents what the college is like. Classes that they sit in can answer the question to what the professors are like. The second time the student visits by him or herself, it will allow the student to get a good feel of what goes on in the dorms. Dorm life has probably been the most crucial factor in my time at college. The school that I go to isn?t a party school which allows for me to create long-term relationships and focused study time. The community life that the student will experience in his or her visit will be their new family for the next few years that they have at college.

If you're looking for a college set apart from the distractions of big town life here's a good place. It's a place to reflect and learn about the world outside.

Jacob

Northwestern College is best known for it's close-knit community that intergrates faith and learning.

My advice for finding the right college is to evaluate your reasons for going to school. If the reasons are purely social, then don't spend thosands of dollars on a school that has high acedmic standards. If the reason is to study the field you have been waiting so long to be in, then find the school that matches your expectations.

I consider the best thing about Northwestern College is it's size. It is small enough that most of your professors know you, and big enough where you can have a large network of friends.

Abby

My school is best known for being a quiet, conservitive, little collge. They are also well known for their football program. If you were to ask someone about Northwestern College, they would tell you it is a place where you can focus on your future, and not get distracted by out side things. The community is small and very conservitive as well. It is known for it's Calvinist views.

I would say, no matter what college you decide to go to, you will not know if it is the right one for you unless you stick with it. I have wanted to transfer for 2 years now, and in the past semester I have realized that this was the college for me. It is very hard to decide what college to attend, but find one that fits your ethical and moral views, and stay away from "party" schools. Also find one that fits your finacial standing, and stick with it. It is very surprising to me how many people attend a college and want to transfer, but again stay with it. Make sure that the college you apply for is close enough or far enough away from home. Make sure it is academically noted. Make sure it is the size you want (the college and the town it is located in). Don't stress out about it too much as I did, no matter where you go, you are getting an education and that is the most important part, and that is the reason we all attend a college.

I wish I would have learned how to be move independent from my parents. It was hard to be away from my family. Also I wish I would have been able to make my own decissions at home before college, it was hard to come to a college and be on my own and have to make my own choices. I made many wrong ones, and I wish I would have made them while under my parents.

Christa

I would ask the parents and students to make a list of the most important qualities of a college and look for evidence of that during college visits. I would talk to different students on campus to get a feel for the campus life and work load. I would encourage the student to get involved with campus activites, meet new people, develop friendships, but don't neglect studying either. Some of my better friends are the ones I study with.

The community and the teachers that take a personal interest in your learning and want to see you succeed.

Steven

The type of friends that you have for life, and will always cherish the memories of fellowship you had with them even when you lose touch. The funniest, smartest, best, genuine friends that hold you accountable.

Pick somewhere that you can have the right kind of fun. People at the school you want to go to will be watching out for you and be encouraging you to make wise decisions. Listen to God, He will guide your path, direct your steps, and open the right doors for the school which is best for you. Enjoy these years, they are to be cherished for the rest of your life, and yes, they are just as much fun as everyone says they are!

It is a small community, which is great, but to compensate for that there are TONS of ways to get involved. Don't over-commit yourself! Feel free to say no to things, even if they are good works or opportunities. Pick a few things to put your full effort into.

Kory

Friendly people who are ready to learn and excell at life.

Friendly people who are ready to learn and excell at life.

I advise everyone to check out the college for yourself. I thought I was going to go to a college in Colordao, but when I went to visit Northwestern, I decided that this was the college for me. You can never judge a book by its cover so I encourage everyone who is looking for a college to go and experience what life at the college is like. Also, do not be affaird to ask hard questions beacuse this place might be where you spend the next four years of your life. You better like what your getting yourself into.

How the teachers really carea about their students and the small classroom atmosphere that you can recieve a one on one teaching style from your professor. All the ways you can serve the community in America or in another counrty. However, If we were to describe Northwestern College in one word I would have to say "Community".

Erin

My classmates were fairly conservative religiously and socially, but always open and friendly.

The most important part about making the most of a college search and the college experience is being open to understanding and considering different points of view. You will encounter people who are different from you in every way in the classroom, on the intramural field, in extracurricular activities, and at the weekend hangouts. College is the best time in your life to expose yourself to different viewpoints and let yourself be challenged by them. When you do this you will be making the most of your college experience.

A person who either considers themselves Christian or is open to the Christian religion, values community, and doesn't mind a small town environment.

Aaryn

I believe that you can find whatever you want at any college you attend. So the choice is not as crucial as many high school seniors and their parents would make it out to be. Try to attend a school that people have heard of, because it will help you a lot in terms of furthering education and careers later in life. Other than that, choose the school that feels best when you visit. And look for whatever you want, because you're sure to find it.

As with many Christian schools, Northwestern students tend to be extremely close-minded. Despite the professors' efforts to teach critical thinking, and even concepts which have become as basic as evolution, many students resist and cling desperately to theories such as "the young earth" theory despite the complete lack of evidence of such a theory. The close-minded tendencies of many students also ostracizes many students, particularly those who are not Christians or who have homosexual orientation. There is also very little diversity on campus, and more students than would admit to it are extremely racist.

I would like students with broad open minds to attend Northwestern, because I think the school needs it. Unfortunately, such students are not always happy there. Most students who love Northwestern are from similar Midwestern small towns, are staunchly Christian, and are interested in academic rigor to a point. Northwestern is certainly challenging enough, but there's no need to study on the weekends if it's not finals week. :)

Northwestern College administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.