Orange City, IA

Northwestern College

« See more reviews of Northwestern College

Be brave making new connections with many peers and faculty members. Relationships will be key for needed guidance, as well as forming purposeful learning communities. Make sure to get involved in extra curricular activities and groups, but only as much as you can handle while getting your studies. As a senior, it would be beneficial to do some job shadowing to get a better understanding of what different occupations have to offer. During your senior year, it would also be helpful to practice your independence in different areas including: time management, study strategies, laundry, and money management. Remember that college is a prepatory step to the rest of your life so you should take your studies seriously, but not yourself all the time! It's okay to change your major, and you probably will at least once. If you are struggling in a class, don't just drop the class because it will stay on your record. Instead, you should talk with your professor, take advantage of review sessions, and tutoring sessions. Last, but not least take care of yourself by getting plenty of rest, eating a balanced diet, and exercise regularly!

Start good habits now. If you already have, don't let them fall apart! After two full years of college I have finally figured out that in order to maintain good habits, it takes intentional decisions to be consistent. I am thinking specifically of sleep habits and study habits (sleeping and studying make up a lot of college life, after all). I have had way too many short nights, and a perpetual lack of sleep makes life seem exponentially more difficult. I have found that it is better to go to bed and get decent rest than it is to stay up all night slaving over a philosophy essay or meticulously studying every last biology note. As far as study habits...it is far less stressful to start studying and writing papers generously ahead of the due date (duh). Sure it works to do it the night before, but then I'm up way too late (bad sleep habit) and potentially sacrificing other commitments I have made (irresponsible). I want to live a consistent, controlled, healthy lifestyle as a student and as a professional. And doing so actually helps me focus more on other people than myself.

I know you are nervous about going to a different state to attend college. Remember how this has been your dream since you were little and your parents are so supportive. A new state and environment are going to be intimidating but you are a little socialite and will have no problems making friends on the first day. Your gift of socializing also comes with responsibilites. Make sure you limit yourselft to how much time you spend with your friends. School is so important to your future that much time will be needed on your studies. Find an even balance between your passion for people and learning must-needed things for your degree. Remember that you will learn just as much outside the classroom as you will in it. Don't be afraid of taking risks-you never know what path they may lead you down so be careful and wise about which ones you take. Sometimes it is okay to say No. Always be open-minded but firm in your own beliefs and values. Most of all, do not forget who you are and who you belong to-this is the time to solidify your life. Enjoy every moment.

If I could go back in time and give my "high school senior-self" advice about college based on what I know now, I would share two things. First, I would say that getting good grades, though very important at this college and strived after by most students, is ultimately not the most important part of a college education. I have had to put my schoolwork first and work hard in my classes, but I have also had to make the choice to set down my books and make time for the people in my life at school. Maintaining close relationships needs a priority, as should be being a good student and keeping my grades up. Second, I would also tell myself to make the most of every opportunity that the college presents to students. Those who are enrolled in college are a privileged group, and those students are given the chance to go on service projects, study abroad, volunteer, and take a stand for important issues on their campus and in their community. It is good to be reminded that for many, the opportunities in college are unlimited and we should make the most of them.

Dear High School senior, there are some very important things you need to know before you head off to college. While picking your classes for 12th grade make sure you take classes that may help you decide what you could pursue a career in. Find a class that you enjoy and take the class now while you don't have to pay for class or books. This is the best time because next year they expect you to know what your dreams are and you will regret not doing what you love while its free. Out side of class get involved in as many projects and clubs as you can, it may be to late to join volunteer groups now, but if you are in some clubs stay in them and take leadership roles. Colleges and scholarships love to see extracaricular work out side of your High School. One last thing to do before you head off to college; during the summer take as much responsibility for your life as you can. Don't ask your parents for advice on everything because next year they are not going to be there. It is best to start now with your responsibility.

When you're in high school , all you wish to do is fit a mold crafted by others around you. The goal is to be accepted and loved, even if you are not being the person you truly are. I was shy and incredibly aware of what others wanted me to be. I had terrible self esteem and developed an eating disorder that would consume me for four years. The summer after I graduated from high school , I felt a sense being released from others; expectations. Entering college meant that I was entering my future. This new future is one filled with my goals and expectations, no one else's. Since arriving at college, I have discovered that my body and image is not what makes me beautiful, but what I do with myself and the things I can accomplish. That in and of itself has made all the difference. I am on my way to being a child psychologist and making a difference in lives of youth who are even now struggling with a sense of no direction. I want to tell them the things I wish I had learned long ago about what really matters in life.

As a sophomore in college, if I could go back and talk to myself as a high school senior, I would tell myself to be confident. When I made my decision to attend Northwestern, I was happy with my decision, but I was still concerned that I had made the right decision. Now, I know without a doubt I made the right decision. The people I have met here, the things I have learned, and the experiences I have had during my time at Northwestern had impacted my life in more ways than I ever could have imagined. The professors and class I have taken have challenged me in ways that will serve me well in not only medical school but in other areas of life. I know, as a senior in high school, I was worried about meeting new people. However, the friends and teammates I have met seem like family to me now, it's strange to believe I was even worried. They have encouraged, supported, and influenced my life in so many ways, creating bonds that will last a lifetime. Overall, I would tell my high school self to not worry and enjoy the ride.

There are many diferences answering this due to graduating several years ago. There are stark changes in society now complared to my College ecperience at the time. I will respond in the NOW! Education is as or more important now than ever. The econmomy and moral values have changed ratically. There is a distinct difference of perspective with those seeking a college education NOW. Aplicants need to be certain about what they are really interesed in and find a school that fits them personnlly. I have already been accepted to Clevaland Chiorpractic College (CCC). Due to the Economy situation mentioned above, I am in hard spot at the moment trying to sell my house so I can relocate to KS. I was unemployed at the time I decided to investigate CCC after choosog 4 total in the Midwest. CCC has been very helpful and patient with my situation. I have been requiered to "default" enrollment twice and CCC keeps me up to date when I can get all my issues cleared and start undergrad. Thank you for this opportunity. Russel Jahn

The advice that I would give both parents and students about finding the right college and making the most of the college expereince is this. Go to as many colleges as you can for college visit days to check out the school, eat the food, attend a class, and see the dorms. It really comes down to a "gut feeling" when you finally decide. You have to know you made the right choice, and this has a way of showing in certain ways, like how everthing thing seems to fall in place for a certain college. For example, my good friends are going there, they have my major, and I got a great scholarship. In regards to making the most of the college experience, I would say to just enjoy it and to not worry. College is a great time in a person's life and it really only comes around once, before the work day world begins after college graduation. Grow, go out for clubs and activities. Embrace life. Life only comes around once and I truly believe that we need to live each day to the fullest. Thank you for reading my advice.

College is too expensive and too big of an investment of time to waste or make a hasty decision about. It's a decision that needs not to be made lightly, but only after careful consideration of the effects of the decision. I think that college is one of the greatest times in a person's life but can only be that way if a student ends up at the right school. While I believe that it is important for parents to have some impact, or voice, on the chioce of schools a student decides on, it should ultimately be the student's decision because it is their education and their experience. Going to a school that a student doesn't want to be at won't promote learning, but will more likely permeate a dissatisfication of the school and the education and may push the student away from their degree and their family. I think the most important part in choosing a school is visiting it! Go on a tour, stay in the dorms, and eat the food... that's real- you can't fake it. What you experience there is what it will be like!