Northwestern Michigan College

« See more reviews of Northwestern Michigan College

High School seniors are faced with huge decisions that are overwhelming and life changing. Unfortunately, many schools are not able to provide adequate counseling for such decisions. If I were able to go back in time and advise myself, I would be finished with school already; not having to return to school after many wasted years. There is too much stress in the school system nowadays, and no real way of helping students decide on what to do or where to go to school. My advice would be to take as much as a year off school. This break would be the ideal time to de-stress and earn money. Searching out one?s talent or passion would be a great way to spend the time between high school and college and give the student a better outlook on which college and profession to study while in school. The school counselors and advisors I have been introduced to do not take their jobs seriously, or do well at them. While this is a problem, if more seniors would take time to explore life before they return to a school environment, there would be a higher number of successful college students.

There is no doubt that out-of-state costs are incredibly frightening and on the opposite side of the spectrum community colleges appear more pleasing than in or out-of-state prospects, but at the end of the day, tuition is just a number. Focus your selection process simply on you instead of the costs. Do you want a big or small school? Are you interested in living somewhere new? Does it have hospitality programs? Put sincere effort into researching different places. Don’t just say, “Michigan is a good school, I’ll go there.” But once you’re there, you’ll figure out the costs, you’ll make friends, you’ll stress eat, you’ll fail your first paper, you’ll pull all-nighters, but most of all you’ll grow. As scary as some of these things may seem, don’t take life too seriously or you’ll miss out on the good stuff. If there was a MasterCard advertisement for the next four years of your life it’d go like this: “College, twenty-five thousand dollars a year. Cute university sweatshirt, fifty dollars. Six pack of PBR, four dollars. Best memories of your life, priceless.”

If I could give my highschool-senior self some advice about college, I would say try your hardest and don't be afraid to make mistakes. I missed a lot of opportunities because I was unsure of what I wanted out of school. I would say take advantage of campus resources, professor’s office hours, and learn from fellow students. Make friends. I’d say be open to new ideas, and ideas that you previously thought were wrong. Talk to strangers. I’d tell myself to apply for more scholarships, to make friends with the financial aid staff, and ask questions. Don’t be afraid to try and fail. Doing honors projects was hard, but I’d do them all again, even though they were difficult and not always successful. The most important thing I’d tell my highschool self would be this: your education is what you make it. If you want to learn, grow, and improve yourself, it’s up to YOU. Alternatively, if you want to just slide by with a 2.5 and an easy class load, that’s the kind of person you will be when you’re handed your diploma. So do your best.

Ah, high school was nine years ago. I've often thought about the words of advice I would give to my senior self as a graduate and wiser 'Alanna' I am today, but knowing what I know now would ruin the knowledge and experiences I learned along the way. And who knows where I would be if I did know - because I'm happy who I am today. Assuming that this answer does nothing for high school seniors today, the best advice I can give is 'slow down.' This generation is about how fast you can figure something out, or that everyone wants to grow up. Your college days are the best days of your life, but not because of the care-free party spirit. In college, you find your voice. It wasn't until after college, when I dropped everything and moved across the country to pursue a life of my own, that I could really look back and SEE - learn. As friendly as people are, not everyone is your friend. Stay close to family, as they will always be there for you. Motivate & inspire yourself, as you are the best thing you've got. Growing never stops.

A letter to my 18-year-old, college-bound self from my 35-year-old, re-entering college self: Self: You?re about to leave your comfy house with the waterbed and mom and move into a 12? x 12,? insane asylum blue, cinder block "room." Take the time to decorate, it will help. Food on campus is not good. My advice: eat an ENORMOUS breakfast because lunch is particularly awful! You?re going to have to read until your eyes hurt. Take out your contacts to read. On the subject of reading: get used to the fact your books will be your biggest expense. College is going to be four years of new experiences, soak them in! Which brings me to the present-day. Here you are, 35; a bachelor?s degree in journalism that you never made a career out of; still paying students loans; and going back to college to try to break into a field where you maybe won?t be so susceptible to the economy for your lively hood. I?ll leave you with this: Good Luck! You?re going to need it, both this time around and the next. Sincerely you, Jennifer Shock

If I could go back in time... This has always been a question I have tried to avoid simply because of the mistakes I have made in my life. And truly the only way I would go back is if I could go back knowing what I know now. That is what makes this question unique and answerable for me. I would definitly encourage myself knowing the great challenges that lie ahead, but also keeping my eyes focused on the prize. When the challenge is great it makes the reward even greater. The harder we have to work the more we respect where we are and what we have accomplished. I would tell myself that the people I meet and the relationships I will form will be lasting. And to take everything in as this will be the time of my life. But also to buckle down stay away from the parties and ladies. They will be there, but this oppurtunity for the rest of my life won't be. I would tell myself that this is the best thing you will ever do for yourself. Stay focused, work hard, and don't lose faith in God.

If I could go back in time I would tell myself that college is going to be completely different. Everything that you have learned for the past twelve years will not compare at all to what college is going to be like. I would emphasize the fact that you only go through high school once and that I should enjoy it as much as possible and to do everything I can to get the full experience. For example, go to all the pep rallies, dances, sporting events, and etc... However, I would warn myself to keep up my grades like I did because a good GPA does help out tremendously with getting scholarships and financial aid. In addition, I would reccommend taking advanced placement college courses to get some experience if you are going out of town for college. If you are deciding to stay in town though, then I would tell myself that there is no need to take college classes before you are actually in college. Consequently, I would highlight the need to enjoy highschool while it lasts.

"Samantha, you are allowed to change. Just because you were different in High School, misunderstood, does not mean that you will have no friends here. You have a chance to be someone completly different, because you are meeting people who don't know you. Don't put off college for as long as you did, go right at it from High School. Don't worry about realationships, boys, drinking or drugs, because those are just going to keep you from your dreams of being a memorable member of society. You matter, to someone, you matter. You are bright and talented. You are beautiful, interesting and worth while. You are caring, loving and loyal. In college you will be able to use your traits to your advantage. People want to meet you and know you, and be your friend. College professors want to hear your opinion. You are not alone. Not matter how much you feel lonely, there is always someone out there willing to talk to you and be your friend."

The first thing I would do is shake my hand, give myself a pat on the back and say, "I never knew I was this handsome." Afterwards, however, I would address more serious issues I believe many students make poor choices of in their young age. I would tell myself to take my time. I would tell myself to listen more to what I wanted in life instead of what my peers and family told me I needed to do. Never lose sight of your dreams, and try to stay a little more focused this time... ok? An education pursued without true determination and passion is an education squandered, and a real, true happiness lost. Don't base your educational goals around money, base them around having a career you enjoy so much you never truely work a day in your life. Do what you love, do what you're passionate about, do what your heart is telling you to do... and please, do pull pants up, you look ridiculous.

My advie to myself and to all seniors would be to grow up, mature and take responsibility for your future. I would encourage a strong academic background, an honorable attendance, a respectful stance with instructors and a willingness to comprehend what the future can hold for you. I would tell them this is not the year to skip school, to become lax in their grades and to belittle or disrespect their teachers or classmates. This is the year to excell and show everyone how you have grown and learned through the years. Prove that you can perserve in the future and explain that today, right now, what you do can and probably will determine your future. The past is in the past, let it go, but today the future is in your hands. Be wise and be smart in your choices.