Northwestern Michigan College Top Questions

I would first give myself a pat on the pack for completing two colleges classes, saving my future self money. I wish I would have done my research or asked for help in high school on how to sign up for financial aid so I didn't feel so lost when I got here. Trying to find a niche right when you get to college and sticking with it is key, because you're going to be with these students for the next 2-3 years and it's hard to leave certain groups of people and come back when they've moved on and you're back at the start. I left on a trip around the country after completing a semester of art classes and getting used to this new group of people, and am now going back to art next year, but it will be a completely new group of people that I have to meet and get to know.

Monique

If I could go back in time I would tell myself that college is going to be completely different. Everything that you have learned for the past twelve years will not compare at all to what college is going to be like. I would emphasize the fact that you only go through high school once and that I should enjoy it as much as possible and to do everything I can to get the full experience. For example, go to all the pep rallies, dances, sporting events, and etc... However, I would warn myself to keep up my grades like I did because a good GPA does help out tremendously with getting scholarships and financial aid. In addition, I would reccommend taking advanced placement college courses to get some experience if you are going out of town for college. If you are deciding to stay in town though, then I would tell myself that there is no need to take college classes before you are actually in college. Consequently, I would highlight the need to enjoy highschool while it lasts.

School is important at all ages. Pay attention and ask as many questions as you need. Give yourself enough time to get to school and be a little early for classes. Meet new people and enjoy your time at school, but remember to focus and get your work done on time.

Shane

I would tell myself to not take advantage of high school athletics and being with your classmates. I would've told myself to really enjoy everyday and really try and make connections with classmates that you never used to talk to. I would also bring up the fact that there is no need to be worried about the transition from highschool to college, and that i need to keep my head high and know it will all workout in my favor.

Advice that I would give myself is to focus better on test taking because still to this day I struggle with tests and it can be a big impact once attending college. If i would have tried harder in highschool to do better on tests I wouldnt struggle so much in college, but other than that everything has improved after highschool including my GPA, so must be doing something right.

Katye

If I went back in time I would tell myself to be better prepared with class material. I would get extra help with math, to understand it better so that I wouldnt have to struggle so much in college math courses. I would also challenge myself in more science classes so that I could jump with both feet into the nursing program without having to take extra classes. Advocating for myself is also HUGE now that I am in college. I would stand up for myself and get the help when I didnt understand something.

Since, I have been out of school for quite a while, I would like to tell myself as a Senior, how important it is to enjoy the college experience. To learn as much as you can, not only from classes but from individuals. That this is an important stepping stone to becoming the adult you are going to be. I would also tell myself to work harder at doing well in school, and not to blow anything off.

Kaelyn

I would tell myself to take more AP classes. I only took one and passed the test so I received college credit for it. I could have taken at least two more but did not have the self confidence to believe I could pass them. If I ended up having to retake the classes in college, because I did not get an A on the exam, it would just mean learning more and refining my skills. You can never get to much education. I would also suggest to myself to duo-enroll at Northwestern Michigan College which would help me to see what college was like before I became a full time college student.

I would encourage high school counselors to be more involved with their student’s future and for parents to be educated on the options and opportunities their kids have. I wish I would have attended the career tech center or did some college classes while in high school so I could see how a college class was like and what campus life was like. The work load was surprising to me and I would of like to of been better prepared for that. I wish I would of shadowed different kinds of careers. Problem wasn’t really high school but more so life after high school. Living on my own having my own bills, working full time, and trying to go to school full time; nobody prepares you for that juggling act.

A.

Ah, high school was nine years ago. I've often thought about the words of advice I would give to my senior self as a graduate and wiser 'Alanna' I am today, but knowing what I know now would ruin the knowledge and experiences I learned along the way. And who knows where I would be if I did know - because I'm happy who I am today. Assuming that this answer does nothing for high school seniors today, the best advice I can give is 'slow down.' This generation is about how fast you can figure something out, or that everyone wants to grow up. Your college days are the best days of your life, but not because of the care-free party spirit. In college, you find your voice. It wasn't until after college, when I dropped everything and moved across the country to pursue a life of my own, that I could really look back and SEE - learn. As friendly as people are, not everyone is your friend. Stay close to family, as they will always be there for you. Motivate & inspire yourself, as you are the best thing you've got. Growing never stops.

Jasper

Study hard, research your college of choice very thoroughly and work hard. Look for scholarships and apply to as many as possible because college is expensive.

Autum

Pay more attention in school and have less of a social life!

I would advise myself to take a chance and research more schools. I entered NMC as a non-traditional student and am disappointed it took me as long as it did to finally find my path.

There is no doubt that out-of-state costs are incredibly frightening and on the opposite side of the spectrum community colleges appear more pleasing than in or out-of-state prospects, but at the end of the day, tuition is just a number. Focus your selection process simply on you instead of the costs. Do you want a big or small school? Are you interested in living somewhere new? Does it have hospitality programs? Put sincere effort into researching different places. Don’t just say, “Michigan is a good school, I’ll go there.” But once you’re there, you’ll figure out the costs, you’ll make friends, you’ll stress eat, you’ll fail your first paper, you’ll pull all-nighters, but most of all you’ll grow. As scary as some of these things may seem, don’t take life too seriously or you’ll miss out on the good stuff. If there was a MasterCard advertisement for the next four years of your life it’d go like this: “College, twenty-five thousand dollars a year. Cute university sweatshirt, fifty dollars. Six pack of PBR, four dollars. Best memories of your life, priceless.”

If I could give my highschool-senior self some advice about college, I would say try your hardest and don't be afraid to make mistakes. I missed a lot of opportunities because I was unsure of what I wanted out of school. I would say take advantage of campus resources, professor’s office hours, and learn from fellow students. Make friends. I’d say be open to new ideas, and ideas that you previously thought were wrong. Talk to strangers. I’d tell myself to apply for more scholarships, to make friends with the financial aid staff, and ask questions. Don’t be afraid to try and fail. Doing honors projects was hard, but I’d do them all again, even though they were difficult and not always successful. The most important thing I’d tell my highschool self would be this: your education is what you make it. If you want to learn, grow, and improve yourself, it’s up to YOU. Alternatively, if you want to just slide by with a 2.5 and an easy class load, that’s the kind of person you will be when you’re handed your diploma. So do your best.

Take college more seriously, its a lot of work, more papers, more reading, more research. School has always come really easy to you but college is different. Start out with 2 classes your first semester to ease yourself into the transition. Make sure that you give yourself more time than you did in high school for homework and studying because the material is more challenging.

Fred

If i went back in time to talk to myself I would tell myself on the bus that I should marry my highschool sweetheart because it would make my college transition easier without all the drama. After years of not knowing what happened to the love of my life after the highschool romance I got a call from her. She was just as beautiful and we felt every emotion just the same as we did before, but we both had someone else. If I had just married her my intellect would be the same but I would be better off. In life it doesn't matter what you have, it's how you are remembered by others that counts.

Jake

In my college experience i have learned how to cooperate with others on projects and study harder. I have had to earn my grades more than ever while enjoying a fresh air campus. The work ethic needed to succeed in the college environment is somewhat suprising while refreshing. I know that i will come out on top with a new respect for the working folk of this country.

High School seniors are faced with huge decisions that are overwhelming and life changing. Unfortunately, many schools are not able to provide adequate counseling for such decisions. If I were able to go back in time and advise myself, I would be finished with school already; not having to return to school after many wasted years. There is too much stress in the school system nowadays, and no real way of helping students decide on what to do or where to go to school. My advice would be to take as much as a year off school. This break would be the ideal time to de-stress and earn money. Searching out one?s talent or passion would be a great way to spend the time between high school and college and give the student a better outlook on which college and profession to study while in school. The school counselors and advisors I have been introduced to do not take their jobs seriously, or do well at them. While this is a problem, if more seniors would take time to explore life before they return to a school environment, there would be a higher number of successful college students.

The first thing I would do is shake my hand, give myself a pat on the back and say, "I never knew I was this handsome." Afterwards, however, I would address more serious issues I believe many students make poor choices of in their young age. I would tell myself to take my time. I would tell myself to listen more to what I wanted in life instead of what my peers and family told me I needed to do. Never lose sight of your dreams, and try to stay a little more focused this time... ok? An education pursued without true determination and passion is an education squandered, and a real, true happiness lost. Don't base your educational goals around money, base them around having a career you enjoy so much you never truely work a day in your life. Do what you love, do what you're passionate about, do what your heart is telling you to do... and please, do pull pants up, you look ridiculous.

If I could go back in time... This has always been a question I have tried to avoid simply because of the mistakes I have made in my life. And truly the only way I would go back is if I could go back knowing what I know now. That is what makes this question unique and answerable for me. I would definitly encourage myself knowing the great challenges that lie ahead, but also keeping my eyes focused on the prize. When the challenge is great it makes the reward even greater. The harder we have to work the more we respect where we are and what we have accomplished. I would tell myself that the people I meet and the relationships I will form will be lasting. And to take everything in as this will be the time of my life. But also to buckle down stay away from the parties and ladies. They will be there, but this oppurtunity for the rest of my life won't be. I would tell myself that this is the best thing you will ever do for yourself. Stay focused, work hard, and don't lose faith in God.

A letter to my 18-year-old, college-bound self from my 35-year-old, re-entering college self: Self: You?re about to leave your comfy house with the waterbed and mom and move into a 12? x 12,? insane asylum blue, cinder block "room." Take the time to decorate, it will help. Food on campus is not good. My advice: eat an ENORMOUS breakfast because lunch is particularly awful! You?re going to have to read until your eyes hurt. Take out your contacts to read. On the subject of reading: get used to the fact your books will be your biggest expense. College is going to be four years of new experiences, soak them in! Which brings me to the present-day. Here you are, 35; a bachelor?s degree in journalism that you never made a career out of; still paying students loans; and going back to college to try to break into a field where you maybe won?t be so susceptible to the economy for your lively hood. I?ll leave you with this: Good Luck! You?re going to need it, both this time around and the next. Sincerely you, Jennifer Shock

Maxwell

Keep your eyes on the prize, never give up. Even if things go slowly, keep working at them, you and you will succeed all in all your goals. Oh, and work a little harder on the math, you'll need it.

"Samantha, you are allowed to change. Just because you were different in High School, misunderstood, does not mean that you will have no friends here. You have a chance to be someone completly different, because you are meeting people who don't know you. Don't put off college for as long as you did, go right at it from High School. Don't worry about realationships, boys, drinking or drugs, because those are just going to keep you from your dreams of being a memorable member of society. You matter, to someone, you matter. You are bright and talented. You are beautiful, interesting and worth while. You are caring, loving and loyal. In college you will be able to use your traits to your advantage. People want to meet you and know you, and be your friend. College professors want to hear your opinion. You are not alone. Not matter how much you feel lonely, there is always someone out there willing to talk to you and be your friend."

Annamarie

I would go back in time and tell myself that no matter how much pressure everyone is putting on you, you have to remember to stay calm throughout the process. Applying for scholarships, choosing a degree and classes, and enrolling is a very stressful and difficult situation to handle. I would also tell myself to prepare doing all of the deciding and researching about your degree because the counselors do not help as much as you would think they would. Even though this is a very stressful and difficult time you have to remember that schooling is extremely important, and you cannot give up hope! Even when you want to give up you cannot. Just tough it up and you will make it through unscratched!

My advie to myself and to all seniors would be to grow up, mature and take responsibility for your future. I would encourage a strong academic background, an honorable attendance, a respectful stance with instructors and a willingness to comprehend what the future can hold for you. I would tell them this is not the year to skip school, to become lax in their grades and to belittle or disrespect their teachers or classmates. This is the year to excell and show everyone how you have grown and learned through the years. Prove that you can perserve in the future and explain that today, right now, what you do can and probably will determine your future. The past is in the past, let it go, but today the future is in your hands. Be wise and be smart in your choices.

Teresa

Don't slack off senior year and make each moment count.