Natchitoches, LA
Northwestern State University of Louisiana

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Northwestern State University of Louisiana

Skylar

Northwestern State University is one of the first educational institutions established in the state of Louisiana. The well-preserved campus is very centrally located, so commuting to class is just a brisk walk away. In the town of Natchitoches, Louisiana the Cane River flows through campus alongside a beautiful running trail. NSU serves a smaller student body, so students are easily able to build relationships with professors and fellow classmates. NSU focuses on Business and Biological Sciences producing quality education in those fields. As a student you are always being updated through school emails about sporting events, intermural sports, club meetings and so much more! Your tuition includes tutoring services that are available at the library to any student in need of assistance. On campus housing is one of the best in the state, providing each student with their personal bathroom and bedroom. At Northwestern State University, athletics is upheld to the highest standards and competitively competes at the Division 1 level.

Francis

The faculty at Northwestern State could not be more helpful. From admissions to guidance to the professors, everyone has been eager to give any assistance and accessible at any time. I have never waited more than an hour for a response to any communication, either through voice or e-mail.

Kristen

Since we are mostly nursing students at the Shreveport campus we sometimes forget that there are other people there in different majors.

I do not really have the time to be involved in the activities, but I'm sure they are great.

All the student are in majoring in nursing just like me. There are only a few who are in other majors. Therefore, all of us work together as a team to get through. I don't know what I would do without a few of the students there.

Sara

This school, like many other universities, has declined in quality over the years in favor of money. My first semester cost around $1200 to attend and by my 4th or 5th semester the tuition had shot up to nearly $3600 for the same amount of classes. Face to face classes are mostly ok but its really hit or miss with the online classes. They've started using teachers that aren't even in the same state as you and they have way more things to do than worry about you as a person. You either do the assignments on time, no excuses, or they fail you. They have little concern for you as a student.

Not much different than high school. Still cliquey.

It depends on the degree you're pursuing. I would say about average.

Justice

My classmates are active in learning and their social lives.

My classmates are active in learning and their social lives.

You are much more free to be yourself and that allows you to conect with people who share similiar views and interests.

Increase your study habits and don't treat it like high school. Make wise financial choices until you get a job. Get close to people with goals and determination. Don't waste time doing things that won't benefit you or make you happy in the long run. Finally, stay safe.

Lyia

Compared to the other schools that I had applied to, I believe I chose Northwestern State University because it offered me a calm and peaceful atmosphere the second I had arrived on campus for my first tour. The tons of school spirit and dedication to academics and activities makes Northwestern State University Unique to me because the students are pushed to succeed.

In truth, I do believe my senior year of high school went by too quickly. I was afraid of leaving home and not being around my mother, who supports and loves me unconditionally twenty-four/seven, everyday. When I first toured Northwestern State University in Natchitoches, Louisiana, I was nervous at first, but the welcoming environment I had encountured when I had arrived quickly dimmed my fears. Now that I am a sophmore at the university, I have learned that leaving home and everything you know may be scary at first, but I know that I can always return to my home to visit. Making the transition to college from high school is a life changing experience and one that I believe is very enjoyable. With this transition, I have managed to make connections with people from different parts of the country by building life long friendships. In conclusion, if I had the chance to go back and talk to my high school self, I would tell myself , "Do not be afraid of change because everything will be okay. Just stay true to yourself."

I consider the welcoming environment Northwestern State Univerity has to offer the best thing about the entire university. With this enviroment comes a sense of home because no one is judged and being your true self is welcomed through out the entire campus.

Chris

One of the things that people tell you all the time is that college is a completely different creature from high school. That, at least, is certainly true, but what they don't tell you is exactly how. Your entire life will be thrown into the air - if you were the nerdy kid who was bullied in high school, no one else knows that. If you were the jock who everyone loved in high school, no one cares in college. You are who you make of yourself, so if you want to abuse your newfound freedom to do nothing but sit in the dorm and play video games, that's fine; people will treat you as the person you pretend to be. If you're friendly and talk to people, they'll happily talk back, especially because their lives are just as upended as yours. Finally, remember that your professors are people, just like you. While they might be tired of new freshmen, if you introduce yourself to them during their office hours, and if you are persistent with talking with them individually on a weekly basis, they will be far happier to help you than they would be otherwise.

I am a member of the Louisiana Scholar's college program, which is an intensive program designed for students who want to push themselves as much as possible. If a student is unwilling or unable to devote at least four to six hours a day beyond their classroom requirements to their studies, it is best to stay with the regular campus. Students should also understand that Natchitoches is a small town in rural Louisiana; while it certainly is picturesque, it is also humid, hot, highly conservative, and there isn't all that much to do.

In the main campus especially, the professors seem to be worn down and tired. The administration seems to push sports focused programs above all else, and the rest of the campus suffers as a result. While they seem to do their best, they are oftentimes burned out and merely teach a regurgitated powerpoint that they repeat every semester. They aren't used to students coming to them with questions or discussion, and oftentimes are too busy for either. The blame for that could be placed solely on the policies of the administration, as professors are generally too overworked.

courtland

The professors are very helpful and are there when students need them. The staff is friendly and helpful. The overall rating of this school is wonderful.

If I was a high school senior and getting ready to attend college there would be a lot of advice I would give myself. I would save more money to make sure I could make most of the ends meet and also have some spending money left over. I would focus all of my attention on campus life and get out to make more friends. I would be more involved in campus life such as various activities, sports, and organizations. I would allow myself a little free time in between classwork and always include myself in functions around the campus. There are so many things that I would tell myself, but above are just a few.

Anyone should attend this school.

My #1 change would be I would not spend so much money applying to colleges. Instead I would have saved the money and just planned on going to junior college getting my general studies done, which is what I ended up doing. My parents spent a good $3,500 on applications and SAT preparation, which I didn't really need. I think everyone just gets caught up in applying to school and SAT scores, and in the end, it didn't really matter for me. You will still get into a good four-year school without SAT preparation or even the highest scores if you attend a junior college. I believe the application process is just a way for schools to make money when you consider the majority of the applicants do not get accepted. Also, instead of trying to be involved in everything in high school, I would concentrate on just one or two things. I was involved in everything ASB, AP classes, theater, cheer, choir, NCL and in the end it really didn't make a difference. So do what interests you without thinking this will look good on an application because it probably won't matter anyway.

Gabrielle

What's unique about my school is that they treat every student as if we were their family. NSU helps every student who needs help, they want to see each one of the students succeed in their intended major. NSU is not only a place to learn but it's a lace where someone can have fun, be at home, and is always welcome. No professor there turns their back on any student, they are there to help.

The advice I would give myself if I were able to go back in time is nothing. I know you may be thinking why. Well, everything that I was expecting college to be was it. As a senior, I was happy to attend college and go into that next stage of life. I wouldn't go back into time because the way college turned out to be for me is the way GOD wanted it to specially for me. I was prepared to learn, to party, and make new friends. The college life is fun and a very good learning experience; literally.

The type of person that shouldn't attend NSU is someone who comes to college not to learn and someone is very negative about their education; about everything period.

Northwestern State University of Louisiana administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.