Natchitoches, LA
Northwestern State University of Louisiana

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Northwestern State University of Louisiana

Gabrielle

What's unique about my school is that they treat every student as if we were their family. NSU helps every student who needs help, they want to see each one of the students succeed in their intended major. NSU is not only a place to learn but it's a lace where someone can have fun, be at home, and is always welcome. No professor there turns their back on any student, they are there to help.

The advice I would give myself if I were able to go back in time is nothing. I know you may be thinking why. Well, everything that I was expecting college to be was it. As a senior, I was happy to attend college and go into that next stage of life. I wouldn't go back into time because the way college turned out to be for me is the way GOD wanted it to specially for me. I was prepared to learn, to party, and make new friends. The college life is fun and a very good learning experience; literally.

The type of person that shouldn't attend NSU is someone who comes to college not to learn and someone is very negative about their education; about everything period.

Traci

I would warn myself to take college seriously, to do the absolute best that I could academically, and to hang in there because four years passes a lot faster than I could ever imagine. I would advise myself to take advantage of any scholarships possible and to have confidence in myself. I did the complete opposite when I entered college six years ago. I was not confident and did not realize the potential that I had. I dropped out of college and went to work full time. Along the way I had a son and quickly realized how essential an education would be in providing him with the life he deserves. I am a full time nursing student and have raised my grade point average significantly since the first time. I know that my college journey would have been much easier if I would have finished school the first time. I would not have to juggle school, work and a child but I do believe that my son is the motivation that I did not have back then. If I could do it all over again I would take school seriously and receive my degree before I had children.

A person whos main focus is partying and participating in illegal activities while on campus. This type of person will be wasting their time and money if they believe that this lifestyle will be condoned. They will also never succeed if they live this type of lifestyle at Northwestern State University.

Diana

If I could go back and talk to myself as a high school senior I would push myself more than I did. I would have told myself to apply for all the scholarships available to me. Along with that I would have left my little city and attended one of the many great universities I got accepted to. I would tell myself to be more responsible and independent because that's all college is about. In college you don't have the teachers reminding you what is due and extending the deadlines, instead you're all on your own and it is up to you if you want to succeed. You must have the want and drive to succeed, because you are now in the real world. You can either climb your way up or fall straight down.

Heather

My classmates in my field of study, Criminal Justice, are very helpful in all different ways from study groups to personal study help in and out of the classroom while they are also paying close attention to the lectures needed.

What is unique about Northwestern State University of Louisiana is that the students and faculity are close in communication so that if a student has a problem or needs help on something, the faculity, including the dean, are there for support. Along with that Natchitoches is a college town, so the community is there for the students and help with anything the school needs! Great family support!

If I could go back in time and talk to myself as a high school senior, knowing what I know now about college life and making the transitions, honestly, I would tell myself to first of all, listen to mom! She knows best! Second, even though you didn't have to study in high school, it is not that easy in college! You have to do the homework with out mom telling you too. You have to study without someone forcing you too. Also, just because you are sheltered by mom and you couldn't do whatever you wanted, when you get to college and get out in the real world, YOU have the choice of what you will do with your time. Going out to bars and clubs isn't all that great anyway. Getting you degree and getting a great job is what means the most! You are on your own in college!

Josh

Northwestern State is the perfect-sized campus with a lot to get involved in.

Northwestern State is the perfect-sized campus with a lot to get involved in.

First of all, I would tell myself that college is nothing like high school. When you come to college, you gain complete freedom. This can be good and bad. You do what you want, but you have to find that perfect balance. You cannot be so concerned with grades and have no social life. College is all about finding that perfect balance.

I tell people that the campus is the perfect size where everybody knows everybody. I also love Greek life on this campus and brag about it often.

AMANDA

Knowing what I know now, looking back there is much I wish I would have known. The most important thing I would look back and tell my self is to get out there and active. If you are undecided about a major take all your general education cources while taking one entro cource to each of the major you are interested in and see which one grabs you. School is number one and should always come first. I would highly suguest not worrying about money and getting a full time job because as soon as you start making money that becomes your prority not school. Reach out to all the department within the school. You will have to do all the leg work for information and knowleges of what you willl need to do to complete your degree. I will highly recomand taking a workshop on how to fund your schooling. School should be fun but not to much fun. School is much eariers if you keep to a schedule and do not put work off. Respect the oportunity of being able to go to college, even if you have to work harder for it. You will thank youself later.

Kevin

I got in a major car accident senior year that put me in the hospital for 6 days and out of commision for 8 months. I would start off my advice giving by telling myself to learn to drive better as I got in another major accident my first year of college. Secondly, I would tell myself that any girl named Brooke was bad news and not to date her. She causes you to do things that you would regret for many reasons. Third, I would tell myself to never skip class, for any reason other than extreme illness. Extra sleep is not worth it. Stay on top of your studies or you will regret it and be making up ground the rest of college. Lastyly, I would tell myself to listen to the Lord in all my decision making. Where I would go to college, where i would major in, and who I would hang out with. Really dig into the word your last year of high school, cause its hard to live a Christian lifestyle without strong roots. But then again, everything happens for a reason, so maybe I'd just say, "Goodluck, and keep your head up."

I would have wished to know that I was simply coming to this school because I felt safe and secure there, not because I truly wanted to go there. I wish that I would have been a stronger Christian at the time of me deciding where I was going to go to college and really LISTENED to what the Lord wanted me to do, instead of simply going where I wanted to. I wish I would have known better how to fight the peer pressure of those around me so I wouldn't have messed up grades first year there.

I don't think that there is a type of person that shouldn't attend this school. If you look hard enough, you can find your niche here. I would say that if you went to a huge highshcool than coming here might feel like high school all over again

Breathe. This would be the first thing I would tell myself. To remember to breathe; to take it all in, roll it around in your mind, and let it out. Your going to get overwhelmed. You may think your not going to feel lonely. You will at the beginning, but know that it doesn't last forever. If you skip class, it will come back and bite you in the butt. DON'T SKIP CLASS. They are not joking when they say if you miss class you miss important iformation that you can't make up. Sit in the front row, you will thank me later. Make a friend in each class, just in case you do miss, you'll have a way of getting assignments. Don't waste your meal plan, your paying for it, might as well use it. Stay far away from alcohol at all costs, its not even worth being around. Get involved on campus, its a great way to make friends and staying an active student is just fun. Above all else though, remember and never forget, breathe.

How welcoming our campus is, you go anywhere and there is someone to tell you hi, and offer a helping hand. Also the teachers here are just so fantastic at their job, they go above and beyond expectations.

Our university just started a new computer system called banner, and it has done nothing but make trouble for all the students and faculty.

Montoya

Follow your inner spirit. Do not follow the beaten path. No matter what the reason, do what you truly want and not what anyone else feels is best. Never second guess yourself, in any decision. Make realistic long term plans, and be willing to adapt. There is no such thing as a mistake when you know you've given your absolute all. Can't experience worthy success without trials and tribulations. After graduating this summer with a bachelor's, yet still unemployed in the medical field, has changed my entire outlook. Sometimes you have to do something less practical to have true self-satisfaction!

Once being accepted into the program, the program director as well as majority of the staff were on campus and readily available at any time. Also, the same group of classmates progressed through the program together for an entire two years. This made studying easier and any other questions answered quite quickly.

Northwestern was a great school. I was a student on the College of Nursing Shreveport campus, Radiologic Sciences program. I wish professors would have been more realistic of career goals for this specific locale. Though I have a bachelor's degree, I am now seeking another degree just to bring in a substantial salary.

CHRISSY

If I could go back in time and talk to myself as a high school senior, there are so many things I would tell myself. I think it would go something like this: "Chrissy, it's ok to follow in your big sister's footsteps, you don't always have to do things differently, you can go to a community college first and live at home for a while. Listen to the people around you, do you really think you are responsible enough to move away from home and go to a four year university? Yes, of it will be fun and you will have lots of freedom, but won't you miss your family? No matter who is trying to get you to go out, make sure all your homework is done and GO TO CLASS! Check your major Chrissy, make sure accounting is for you, just because you are good at math does not mean you should be an accountant, do something you will love, even if it means not making as much money. Keep yourself organized, you're good at that, and make sure you try your hardest, no matter what the assignment is!"

Northwestern State University of Louisiana administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.