Northwestern State University of Louisiana Campus Life Reviews

Overall Review for Northwestern State University of Louisiana

terriyon

i feel as it is a wonderful college great when you want to stay around galilee and friends Northwestern state university is a quite , calm & sage college to attend ... you have the opportunity to experience the full on time of the college and also keeping your academics up .

Northwestern State is a beautiful school that I cannot wait to live and learn for the next couple of years. The school spirit is flowing all throughout campus, and outside the school. Everyone has friendly faces and made my family and I very welcome.

Javin

Northwestern is a great school to attend if you aren’t into the bigger colleges. It’s the perfect size between small and big. Everybody has a place and it’s very diverse. The only thing I’d want to change is that the workers in charge of the campus shops aren’t the kindest nor do they ever really have merchandise to sell. (I.e. the coffee shop).

Brookelynn

I like Northwestern state University. It was one first school I thought of when I was ready to transfer. Everything so far is going great with this pandemic. They have walking distance food places and buildings to go if you do not have a car. The people are nice too.

Ronterrica

I really love it here! The staff is so amazing and they are very precise at their jobs! They handled the COVID-19 situation quickly because they really care about us! NSU has become my second home and I can’t wait to get back this upcoming semester! And as we always say, Fork em Demons!!!

Ebony

Northwestern is a great college to attend. You meet many diverse people and the greek life is AMAZING! It's all around an awesome school, FORK 'EM DEMONS

Brianna

Fork 'em Demons is not just a phrase but a way of life at Northwestern State University of Louisiana. NSULA'S college provides professors and faculty who truly care about their student's growth both intellectually and as young people beginning to find their place in the world. The compassion of the staff truly spills into all aspects of NSULA's student life as all clubs are cared for and encouraged with great detail and dedication by its advisors. Every student recognizes our president Dr. Maggio with his ready smile, bursting with pride as he greets everyone warmly and attends nearly all events on campus. Our president truly sets the example as he invests his time into assuring students at NSULA feel welcomed and that the university continues its quality standard of education. There is a very unique drive in the atmosphere of NSULA as the majority of its students are first-generation or non-traditional. The students are ambitious and act as guide posts and support systems for each other. If you are interested in a quality education that fosters your interests and personal growth I would definitely recommend NSULA.

Keyonna

Northwestern has a great Nursing program, so I'm glad to be apart of that. I love how the college is smaller and more personal. I just wish there was more to do in Natchitoches because the town is very dull and boring. The professors are pretty good and understanding. So far the school has been very good!

Francis

The faculty at Northwestern State could not be more helpful. From admissions to guidance to the professors, everyone has been eager to give any assistance and accessible at any time. I have never waited more than an hour for a response to any communication, either through voice or e-mail.

Re'Len

Northwestern State University of Louisiana (NSULA) is a college that I would describe as open and selfless. You never have to second guess if they care for you. The first 42 days to be exact, is dedicated to you to make sure you have everything you need. From moving in and getting all your files together to doing fun activities every week. The city is very beautiful and the true definition of school spirit. I am glad I picked this college and you will be too!!! Fork'em Demons

joann

This school is a very safe university. There are great people and a lot of friends!They are dedicated to our goals! there are some sororities and you can make your own if you do not find one that interests you. Everyone is very active and they president is amazingly cool!

Alexis

It's a great small school. NSU cares for individual students and groups. The University President is always walking around and involved on campus. When asked about professors and staff I can't speak for them all, however, many of the staff were involved in making my first year successful. Many of my professors went above and beyond the class room.

Darian

I love the campus and the people, a lot of the professors that you will have really care about your education I see, this as amazing because when we have good teachers we create good people. Happy students, that are well-equipped for their future, my time at this university has helped me meet iconic human beings of different backgrounds that have pushed me to become a better teacher for my students one day.

Allenicia

Northwestern is a pretty decent school. It's basically a home away from home, anyone would love it here. It's some many things to do like clubs and sports, and yes, there is Greek life here. You can't help but to make friends with people and it's a friendly school to be at!

Skylar

Northwestern State University is one of the first educational institutions established in the state of Louisiana. The well-preserved campus is very centrally located, so commuting to class is just a brisk walk away. In the town of Natchitoches, Louisiana the Cane River flows through campus alongside a beautiful running trail. NSU serves a smaller student body, so students are easily able to build relationships with professors and fellow classmates. NSU focuses on Business and Biological Sciences producing quality education in those fields. As a student you are always being updated through school emails about sporting events, intermural sports, club meetings and so much more! Your tuition includes tutoring services that are available at the library to any student in need of assistance. On campus housing is one of the best in the state, providing each student with their personal bathroom and bedroom. At Northwestern State University, athletics is upheld to the highest standards and competitively competes at the Division 1 level.

Kristen

Northwestern is a wonderful school. When you first walk on campus you feel like you have joined a big family. The students are friendly and we are willing to help each other with anything. The professors are helpful and are willing to do anything to help students pass.

Elliot

The best thing about the school is the professors, who for the most part genuinely care about students and have a passion for their subject. The administration is inept and makes decisions that are totally out-of-touch. Diversity is atrocious among the administration and faculty, especially compared to the diversity of the student body. There is not even basic funding for disability support services. There's absolutely no public transit and campus parking spaces are terrible.

Casie

The environment at Northwestern State University if very fun and friendly. Many activities are planned, so you can always find something to do. There are support and help groups that you may reach out to if the need arises. Most of the instructors enjoy interacting with the students to get to know them better, and are always willing to help with troubled areas in the criteria.

Morgan

Overall, it is a very nice school. The campus is not too big so it does not take me too long to get places since I do not have a car. The people seem friendly and they are always hosting some form of event every day. The classes are a good size where the teachers actually know your name. And the school is very accepting of minority groups and even have a Pride organization to give a safe place to LGBT students and plan fun events to do for them and allies. I really like my new school and hope to make many friends and have the best four years here. It really is a family community who cares about you and your future.

brayliegh

This has been the best experience I have ever made. This was definitely a life changing event. I would highly recommend NSU for all your educational needs. I love Northwestern State University everyone on campus is always happy to help and they are dedicated to one goal YOURS! #fork'em demons

Marissa

Northwestern University is the college I had dreamed it to be and more. I had wanted to attend the institution since I first visited there in middle school on a band trip. Ever since then, it was my ultimate goal to attend there, and now I could not be happier. I have zero complaints about attending this school, it really is everything I thought it would be. College was my savior from a bad home life, and Northwestern's facilities and counselors have also helped me to cope with the many problems I had and still have at this time. The professors here are extremely hands on and caring about their students and will go above and beyond. All the teachers at my high school told us how difficult college would be, and how the professors wouldn't put up with us and would treat us in a strict, cold, manner. Not at this school, it is the complete opposite, or maybe it's just because so many of them are well respected that they do not even have to assert themselves. Whatever the reason, college has been so much better for me than high school could ever even ATTEMPT to be. It's been the best experience of my life so far, and I cannot wait to make even more memories.

Jody

I am predominately an off campus student. I love the online capabilities where I can still work and be mom and attend school. I have friends who have attended on campus and they say its great. I am hoping to be able to attend this fall. Just need a small miracle to afford it.

Victoria

I love that there are so many opportunities to get involved or to try out new things. Everyone is friendly and together create an inviting atmosphere. I have so many friends that are passionate about the arts and help others to develop their passions, not only for the arts but for anything they could possibly have. The professors encourage you to get better in academics and to pride yourself in the lengths at which you've gone to do so. It's a very lively and homely university.

Kierra

At first I was nervous to be moving so far away from home but I absolutely love NSU. I feel more at home on campus then anywhere. The people are very caring and concerning. The facility is very understand to student struggles and challenges. I can't wait for next semester.

Curtesia

I feel like Northwestern State University is a college to help you achieve your academic goals. During my first visit, I met a different variety of awesome teens. I also made friendships. Unlike other colleges NSU is a family so will never feel unwanted or lonely. I met with the Criminal Justice director of the school and he gave me more information that I did not know and now I have been reassured that I have chosen the right career field. I did not second guess that Northwestern State University will be the college for me. I also grew a closer bond with my recruiter. Whenever I have an urgent concern all I have to do is email her or text and she will respond less than 24 hours. Personally, I did not get the same assurance at other universities that I have visited. However, I feel that there could be more food places around the campus that the students would enjoy eating at such as Chic Fil A. This University is possibly the only educational center that I know that does not have the food restaurant. Another outstanding value is that every Friday the campus close at 12 pm. Which means, the student center, lecture room and all around the campus can continue the day with no school. That gives us more hours to start the weekend break. A great thing about this school is that you will have a professor that knows you by your name unlike at other universities like Texas A&M or the University of Southern California. That is an advantage to learn more about your studies if you do not understand the lesson. I can ask questions and have a conversation with my professor who actually know me by my name and not only by looking at the attendance roster. As a result, I would recommend this college to anyone.

Dannaka

I'm an online student, not really much I can say about the on campus activities and such. I can say this, NSULA has a great online program made for students like me that can't make it to the classroom and work at the same time. It requires great discipline and communication skills but it can be done with Northwestern State University of Louisiana.

Mia

Northwestern State University is the best college to attend if you are an education major. Having an elementary school on campus is extremely convenient to the college students when completing their student teaching hours. The professors are helpful and become a huge part of your life. My overall opinion on Northwestern State University is that it is an amazing school.

Lashante'

Hi My Name Is Lashante Richard & I Will Be Attending Northwestern Stat Univeristy In The Fall . Northwestern Is A Very Great School . I Visted Northwestern Twice Before I Made My Decision To Attend Their School . Both Times I Went I Had A Blast . The People Inclusing The Staff Is So Helpful & Also Makes You Feel Like Family . I Never Once Felt Left Out Or Uncomfortable . Everyone Is So Nice & Friendly There . Also The Food Is Delicious . I Also Like The Dorms & There Sizes Too . At Northwestern State They Make You Feel Like Family & I Am So Happy I Chose This School To Attend .

Morgan

Northwestern State University is the perfect example of an intellectual learning campus. There are always students willing to learn, get involved, and help in the community and I could not have chosen a better school for myself to further my education.

Over the course of my first year at NSU, I have gained a family that will last a life time. From the involvement of student activities and extracurricular, NSU is always including everyone. The professors are nice and are always trying to do their best to see everyone succeed. I haven't seen another campus where their first priority is the students and their over all well being. NSU nurtures, supports, and unifies the student body.

Morgan

Northwestern is a good place to get an education and gain new friends as well. It is a wonderful school with so much to offer! From the academics down to the school spirit, everything is a win. My academic experience was wonderful and successful. I completed my first year and came out on top!

Camren

My overall opinion of the school is fairly good. I rated the school four stars, because it is a very good school although there is a few things that need revising. The housing facilities on campus need to be reconstructed, but the library in my opinion is amazing, plus there is a coffee shop! Some of the buildings and classrooms need to be revised but since I have been here I have seen them work on that. The food on campus in really great granted I have only eaten it a few times, and the best part is the school spirit, even thought we do not will a tremendous amount of games the school spirit is still alive and well. Overall this is a pretty good school in my opinion.

khaila

Northwestern State University is perfect for anyone looking for a home away from home. It is a cozy campus and everyone is friendly. Most of my favorite memories are created here through friends, events, professors, and the city over all. Teachers and advisors are always available and ready to help at all times. Student education and safety are made a priority and I love that!

Akilah

My overall opinion of NSU is that it is a good college to attend. The campus site is neat, clean, and always updated. I have visited the campus on various occasions, during Junior High outings, and have enjoyed the atmosphere. Friends I know that attend, say that there are many opportunities available to anyone who wants them.

Aljata

The factually at NSU really care about each and every student and it seems as though they genuinely want us to pass. I can tell that they do everything they can to help us out and I feel like I can go to any one of them to ask for help. They are absolutley amazing!

Love it! The class sizes are great and if you choose, you can get to know your professor well. The Natchitoches campus is very beautiful and they have more activities than the other campuses. I think I am getting a better nursing education at NSU than say other colleges in the state. Overall a great environment and great college.

janeisha

I love that I choose to attend Northwestern State University of Louisiana. The school overall is very educational and fun. I have had challenges but thanks to the staff and school spirit, things went good. I recommend anyone to attend this school.

Logan

As a graduate of Northwestern State University, I look back on the many opportunities it afforded me. Campus life at NSU is vibrant, fun and exciting. There are usually SGA or other organizational events held every day. Community events are abundant, especially among special interest groups and Greek organizations. Greek life has a prominent footprint on campus, as I was a member of a fraternity myself. It was a great way to meet new people and open new doors for future networking which has come in quite handy since my graduation, not to mention the pride one felt seeing your "Letters" displayed around campus. Academia at NSU is typical of most universities. There are classes that are exceptionally difficult that require one to be attentive to their studies; in contrast, there are those that are less strenuous. For the most part, the professors are willing to help in any way they can...of course there are some who's teaching methods are quite different, but they truly care and want to see their students succeed. I was able to forge a great relationship with many of my professors, even now calling some of them my fellow colleagues. Not to mention, NSU houses the Louisiana Scholar's College, a unique experience that focuses on personal and professional edification with a heavy emphasis on literature and research review. Campus housing is decent, the more recently build University Place II is the nicest and they are currently renovating Varnado Hall. Dining options are average, with Iberville being the main cafeteria though other options exist on campus. Off-campus housing is available, though I am not too familiar with it as I resided primarily on-campus. Houses within Natchitoches are older, but with the quaint, Southern charm of a small Louisiana college town. The university's presence definitely contributes to the city's liveliness with Christmas Fest and NSU's Christmas Gala being popular events that draw quite a crowd from places afar. Overall, Northwestern State University is an excellent university to attend. It offers a rather extensive spectrum of both social and academic opportunities. I have met many life-long friends and garnered a supportive brotherhood at this higher-educational institution, and I hope this review serves as a great insight into what a prospective student might expect if they choose to attend.

Titania

It is a great school and perfect for the price and location. It is in a location where it is hard to get to do fun things but shreveport and Alexandria are not that far away. Perfect for road trip weekends. The food on campus could use some help but off campus is great. The scenery is beautiful and the river is one of the best parts about the location.

Terryn

I think that Northwestern State is a great school. The atmosphere is welcoming as are the faculty, staff and student body. The accounting program is great which is the reason I chose the school. It has been an awesome experience thus far. I can't wait until graduation.

Kaylee

Northwestern State University is located in Natchitoches, Louisiana. Their campus is beautiful and easily navigable. The scenery is beautiful, and the campus is easy to understand. Faculty and teachers are very welcoming and kind to visitors and to their current students. They are willing to help a student with any need and are there to listen as well.

It is a fantastic university and brings an all America feel. The campus is very homey and feels like the students that attend are there to learn. Furthermore based on my experience I would recommend NSULA to everyone I meet who wish to further their education.

TyKiera

It’s a fantastic school because we not only learn, but the school makes sure we feel involved and important. It’s a great way to meet new people and I truly adore this school. Always have ever since 8th grade I knew I wanted to attend this school and I made it happen. Northwestern is DEDICATED TO ONE GOAL. YOURS.

Alexis

Nice school with nice people. I like that it's not a huge school, but it's not too small in numbers either. I went to NSU for cheer camp my freshman year of high school, and fell in love with the school. Great cafeteria food and nice dorm rooms. I will start attending fall 2019. I am excited!!

Zanner

Northwestern State University of Louisiana is a great school overall. I had recently transferred there in May 2019 from Bossier Parish Community College. i had to get adjusted with this school because I was not used to being far from home, but I love this university. The diversity of this university is just right.

Nijah

Northwestern State is a great place to attend college! The Town , community is very welcoming and always so happy to help in any way! Also, the support from the people on campus, is really helpful and so generous ! I love NSU because it is very interesting and always here for anyone!!

Stephani

I think it is a pretty nice college. The classes are relatively easy; hopefully, my nursing curriculum is better than this year. Some of the fees, however, are way too much. The convenience store on campus is quite expensive and so are the restaurants. I actually love the other restaurants more than I love the meal plan-based restaurant. I wish they had more access to items on the shelves for personal and health care.

Gabrielle

Northwestern Sate University is a great school. The staff and students all work together to achieve a goal of sucees. Northwestern has taught me the necessary skills to work in the medical field as a healthcare provider. I am greatful for the opportunity to study at NSU.

Sharaven

Great school &’ I look forward to being enrolled . The tours are very productive e &’ I find myself wanting to get involved in the school even more. The people are amazing &’ are very polite . Tour guides are very informing &’ ensure that I will get the best experience!

Marchella

My overall opinion of Northwestern State University is nothing but passion to be an NSU Demon. I started out my college career here at NSU as my first choice and fell absolutely in love with the school. I sadly left for a semester and attended another college and considered dropping out of college. I returned back to NSU and I have had nothing but love and support from the faculty and staff here at NSU.