Northwestern University Top Questions

Describe a typical weekend.

Grace

A typical weekend for me is pretty tame. In the fall, Saturdays are almost always game days, and as a member of the marching band, that means I'm up early rehearsing in full uniform. But when I do have a free Saturday, I'm up on the earlier side. I'm definitely a morning person, so I like to get up around 9:30 or ten and get some breakfast. Some of our dining halls are open on the weekends, but I'm often out of meals by then, because I eat breakfast every day, so I usually go to Einstein Bagels or Panera. I'll spend some time doing homework or just relaxing (internet surfing, crocheting, talking to my parents) until lunchtime, or I'll go to the gym, because if I don't go in the morning, I won't have the motivation to go later. Weekends are generally my time to catch up and chores and stuff, so I'll usually do laundry and dishes, and I'll put all my clothes back in my closet, because they invariably end up on the floor throughout the week. A lot of times I'll run over to Whole Foods or CVS and buy snacks for the week, too. If there's a speaker or some sort of event going on (which is almost always) I'll go to that, too. On Saturdays especially, I try to make it into the city as often as I can. Chicago is beautiful this time of year. It's all decked out for Christmas, and the Christkindl market (an annual fair where German craft vendors set up shop in the Loop) is in full swing. A lot of students like to go to Chicago to party or ice skate or go to a musical/museum/whatever. In the evenings, I like to hole up in my room, but many students also choose to go to parties and socialize. If you're looking for something to do, you can always find some sort of event lying around.

Friday night: sleep or watch a movie with friends because you're exhausted from a week of classes, exams, and all-nighters. Saturday: day time library trip and maybe go out to dinner in Evanston. Party it up in the night time, maybe Saturday Keg trip? (local bar) Sunday: get rid of hangover and proceed to feel guilty that you didn't do enough work yesterday, so hit up the library again and get ready for another week of work, meetings, classes, etc etc

Benison

Weekends start on Friday night. Heck! If your schedule works out nicely, weekends start on THURSDAY night! Either way, Friday night is usually the night of many theatrical performances and parties. Pretty much, anything and everything is pre-gamed and everyone is out to have some fun. Most students spend Saturday cleaning up, getting back on track, figuring out what needs to be done, running non-academic related errands and so forth. Saturday night is also a big night for performances, events and parties. Sunday is then spent catching up on work throughout the day and running other miscellaneous errands. Weekends are great. I do my best to make them as atypical as possible. Typical is just so boring.

Benison

Weekends start on Friday night. Heck! If you're schedule works out nice, weekends start on THURSDAY night! Either way, Friday night is usually the night of many theatrical performances and parties. Pretty much, anything and everything is pre-gamed and everyone is out to have some fun. Most students spend Saturday cleaning up, getting back on track, figuring out what needs to be done, running non-academic related errands and so forth. Saturday night is also a big night for performances, events and parties. Sunday is then spent catching up on work throughout the day and running other miscellaneous errands. Weekends are great. I do my best to make them as atypical as possible. Typical is just so boring.