Northwestern University Top Questions

Austin

The most frustrating about Northwestern for me was the perceived divide socializing between the northern and southern parts of campus. Housing in not centralized, and is clustered in the northern and southern parts of the Evanston campus. This creates an artificial barrier, and plays a role in the friends you make. Obviously this can be avoided by being outgoing, but as an undergrad this can be difficult for some. The lack of a quality student center also exacerbates the issue, and there is a need for more universeity-sponsored activities.

Magdalena

The most frustrating thing about Northwestern University is the high tuition costs. Though I am incredibly lucky to have an opportunity to learn, grow, and thrive in such an enriching environment, the financial situation puts a strain on my life and on that of my family's. Passing up an exciting social event is just a minor short-run consequence of having to make financial ends meet, but not being able to study as much as I'd like is an unfortunate additional stress and loss of potential learning such an incredible opportunity comes with.

Northwestern is too big for me.

The schoolwork can be overwhelming..the school is very competitive. Everyone works very hard.

Kelley

The most frustrating thing about Northwestern is one of aspects I find most enjoyable at school . Every student here has such talent, ambition, and motivation that it can often be hard to stand out or feel like you are really making a difference. The trick is to harness your own passions, and work with others to achieve success.

Makda

The expense of tuition is very frustrating because in these economic times it puts more of a toll on my parents. Even though I receive finanicial aid, my family and I still have to scrap together money to afford this school.

Cornelius

The amount that some people study and the amount that some professors expect students to study. If I studied as much as my classes and some peers expect me to, I wouldn't sleep and wouldn't have ever met other people.

Peter

Most aspects of my school are really wonderful. The main thing that can be frustrating is the distance between buildings that are related to each other and share a lot of classes. There are two different music buildings that are about 10 minutes away from each other.

Maria

that i dont get financial aid

Kristy

We are on the quarter system, so sometimes it's hard to really delve into a subject; I think the semester system is more beneficial.

Justin

The university isn't willing to accomodate to the individual.

Allison

The most frustrating thing about this school is the aged administration. The school itself (professors and student community) is extremely liberal and focused on bringing Northwestern up to speed with other schools in terms of technology and studet resources (housing, internet, shuttles, etc.), but the administration takes years to make decisions and doesn't necessarily make them in the best interest of its students, but instead in the interest of the endowment funds and benefactors.

People not returning emails promptly. Also, lack of information about certain programs or policies.

Lu

Nothing

Katherine

.

Alyssa

I think just the normal things, like super long papers and lots of reading. Construction is frustrating sometimes, because it's harder to get around. In the winter life is awful when walking to and from class, and there's really no other way to get anywhere.

Talya

The amount of drinking that occurs on campus. It seems like a lot of students drink in order to escape the pressures of college life. It makes some friendships awkward and superficial. I wish students were not so concerned with their own needs and their own amusement and that they could focus on relationships with others.

Sally

Everyone at this school is very smart so it can be incredibly difficult to obtain a good grade even if you know the material.

Carla

The lack of financial aid!

Angela

so many classes too little time!

Casara

The most common attitude among students is that the grade is far less important, because we're already here, at Northwestern. Why does it matter if we get a 4.0 or not? But it's still hard to deal with tough professors and the stress of wanting an A and not a B. I find it hard to let go of my perfectionist self, but it is comforting to know that I could if I was able to.

Lana

That the shuttles don't run frequently enough during the day.