Norwich University Campus Life Reviews

Overall Review for Norwich University

Shannon

The class size ratio is a complete lie, just a heads up. I have never been in a class with less than 25 students. I don't know where they pulled 14:1 from, but for residential undergrad classes, its just not true. This school has mismanaged their students and university in the pandemic so poorly, I have almost a dozen friends who has withdrawn completely for the semester. The school also continues to employ staff (various commandants that work solely with residential cadet students) that have been accused by students of sexual harassment, assault, and who regularly make racist remarks.

Arriella

Overall, a military school in all aspects, Norwich University, has acclimated civilians relatively well. Though some cadets are friendly and warm, a good majority don't seem to enjoy civilian presence or make any attempt at conversation or interaction. Norwich is huge on academics, and they have incredibly passionate and personable professors, though, like any school, there are a couple of professors that are the exact opposite. While the civilian dorms are relatively new and pleasant, the items within don't necessarily match. The couches all seem to have some large stain of something, and the games room are all missing an essential piece of equipment. However, those are all still manageable things. The biggest problem the students here have is the cost of laundry. We are charged $2 for washer and dryer each, and for some reason, the washers are exponentially smaller than the dryers, and the dryers don't dry the clothes thoroughly. The combination of this is a smart way to drain students' bank accounts. The one thing that makes it all worth it is the students that have made this campus welcoming from the start and the immiscible view that you can see all around you while at the campus. The campus is truly gorgeous, and a majority of the people here are outstanding.

Norwich University is a small, private, military and civilian school in the heart of Vermont. The scenery surrounding the school is breathtaking and the history surrounding the school and its beginnings is quite interesting. The combination of military and civilian students make campus life fun and well rounded and the bonds that are made, especially within the military lifestyle, will last years, if not a lifetime.

Kaylee

If you're looking for a unique atmosphere, you've come to the right place. Norwich has a special characteristic of being both a military and civilian institution. The academics are nice overall and professors are mostly good about being there for you. Only down sides are it's in a very small town, and the food in the dining (chow) hall leaves much to be desired.

Nyla

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Britteny

It is worth it if you are trying to get contracted to become an officer in the military or if you are majoring in civil engineering or nursing. The dorms are really old and creepy. The class rooms are not up to date at all and the technology has far to come. There has been many issues with cadre hazing the rooks that the school gets sued from.

Ben

I love Norwich University. I believe it is the perfect fit for me. Yes, there are some downsides, and there have been some bad experiences. However, as far as my education, and the career I am pursuing, Norwich is the perfect place to springboard me towards being successful in the careers I choose to do.

Jess

Norwich University is the oldest private military university in the U.S. There is a lot of tradition here. It is definitely not a "normal" college experience; however, it prepares you well for the real world, and gives you many opportunities to meet alumni and create relations with future employers. Because the school is small, class sizes are small, and the teachers are always available and willing to help.

M

This is a military and civilian campus. Many CORP students go on to commission in the Armed Forces. The relationship between the two groups is transparent, they all respect each other's decisions of lifestyles choice. The classes are small so you are able to get extra help if you need it. The Alumni base is very strong and you are encouraged to use them as contacts when you graduate to help in the job search. I lived on campus for two years and now am in off campus housing for my next two years. The school has a great reputation, although some Programs are definitely better than others.

Blake

Love this place! Norwich has amazing opportunities that are just waiting for you to take for yourself. At Norwich, you can never push yourself enough, and you always reach for the stars. This school is so close knit, I know that I will be involved here for a very long time.

Rob

Norwich University is great for those looking for a proper college education without all of the partying. The campus is generally quiet, which allows students to get their work done regardless of where they choose to do it. The professors are generally helpful in directing their students.

Emmy

At Norwich University, a majority of people are pursuing a career in the military, and are focused, determined people. We pride ourselves on our integrity and school spirit, as we strive towards making this nation better than the generation before us. From my first visit, I knew I was in love with the small and personal class sizes to the beautiful campus and Vermont scenery. Now that I am finishing my junior year, my opinion has remained the same and I hold even more pride in this institution now that I have experienced most of its pleasures. I love my school and if I were to go back in time, I'd do it all over again.

Norwich is the oldest private military university. There is a lot of tradition. Class sizes are small, which I love, the teachers are also easily accessible and more than willing to help. Overall, I have had a good experience at Norwich. I have learned so much not only academically, but also what my strengths and weaknesses as a leader are. This university is very close with the alumni, and great connections are made to set up jobs and internships after graduation, or even during the school year.

Erica

I really believe that Norwich University is what you make of it. Norwich is a school which does have cadets but it also has civilians. I live on the civilian side, however, the cadets are integrated with many things you do such as classes, extracurriculars, and you even have the same dining hall. After a while, it's easy to forget that you've taken different pathways of life. I've always felt that everyone here is very polite, and there's definitely a sense of community within Norwich. Hockey is also a big thing, as Norwich has one some pretty incredible titles for such a small school. I've also found all my teachers to be very helpful here, and readily available through office hours and email, and most will give out their phone numbers too. The class sizes make the classes and education very personable, where the professors know you by name. All in all, I wasn't sure about Norwich coming into it, but now I know that I would rather be here for my four years than anywhere else.

Alexa

Norwich University is a great place for not only academics, but to enhance a professional civilian career or military style of life. Being a small campus is pretty safe, with lots of clubs and a decent amount of people to where you can still meet new people, but have friends.

Lorel

Norwich seems to a pretty good school. The school makes sure that the students are active and try to make sure there students graduate. Also, Norwich may not have the best food but at least there is the fact that you can get what ever you want that there severing that day.

Olivia

Being a military school as well as a "dry campus" this college is a little different from others. As a civilian student you do feel different being that most of the school is made up of corp students but regardless of your life style you will have lots of pride in Norwich and it's history and traditions. Professors are always willing to help and everyone is supportive of our athletic teams. Norwich hockey is to die for!

Norwich is a small university where it’s easy to find a group that you fit into. It’s quiet and easy going. If you want an education with more one on one with the professors, this is the place to get it. The campus is beautiful! The people are all about pushing one another to succeed. There is a Corps of Cadets as well that really motivates and pushes this school right along. You can be a part of the Military and still be on the civilian side of the school if wanted.

Celenee

I believe they are a great school who just happens to be in the middle of almost nowhere. they have a great campus and involvement with the military life. Just as much as the civilian life. it gives the best of both worlds and the chance for people to see what it's like to have civilian and cadets interacting with one another.

dylan

I will be planning to attend in the fall if I can get all the money I need for my tuition, I really want to go and would be devastated if i could not attend, I am looking forward to being a cadet! I went to visit the school and I was very impressed with the people, the classroom and the overall appearance of the school. The classrooms are small student size giving the students a better chance to have a one on one relationship with their professors. That is important to me because i like having a good relationship with my teachers. The facility is very nice and secluded making the campus very safe. I love this school!

Abigail

The college is great. The students are involved in the community, especially the elementary - high schools around. Also, there is something for everyone. Whether you are on the Civilian or Corps side, they offer clubs, sports, and more to everyone, and if there is a club that is not there but that you would be interested in, you can create it! The teachers are extremely helpful and supportive and are always there to make sure you are exceeding your potential.

Joshua

Norwich is a great school for those who have dreams of serving this great country. It is perfect for those who seek a military school but are unable to get into a military academy due to the low acceptance rates. Also it is a beautiful campus and if you love the outdoors this is the place for you.

Steven

Norwich University is steeped in tradition. The school keeps moving forward while keeping a grasp on its past. It was one of the best times of my life with a blend of traditional students and uniformed ROTC students. The Hockey teams and Rugby teams are always fun to watch. There is usually something going on around campus every week if you are willing to participate. I would recommend this university to anyone.

Daniel

Norwich isn’t your typical college so don’t compare it to one. It has a phenomenal environment that will constantly challenge you but your sense of humor will grow dark, you will learn to embrace the suck, and overall you will become a much better you but you will be different and that might shock you.

Maggie

As a freshman and a recruit at Norwich University it was not easy adjusting to this environment. At first I didn't think it was what I wanted because of how overwhelmed I was with the Corps of Cadets training I was getting during rook week. As time went on I began to fall in love with the school and its traditions as the oldest military academy in the nation. I think it's an amazing institution that creates civilian and military leaders in to the real world. I am more than glad I chose to come to this school because it's the hard way and not many people can take the hard route in life.