Notre Dame College Top Questions

What should every freshman at Notre Dame College know before they start?

I would tell myself to not bring as much stuff to college. I would also tell myself that it does get better, and even though you're going through a rough time right now, you're going to accept yourself for who you are and figure it out. You might not want to attend Notre Dame but pick a more diverse and accepting school. Focus on acadmics and manage your money a little better. Apply for scholarships and grants while you can. You don't have to figure out what you want to do with your life right now. You're going to get away from the people that pick on you right now and you're going to make a lot of long-lasting friends and professional connections that are going to help you get a job doing what you love. Just be proud of who you are and stay confident. It does get better.

Christine

If I were to go back in time to my high school self I would tell her to go to a college she is most compassionate about, one that you feel comfortable at, and one that meets all your standards. It is never fun going to a college that you do not enjoy being at or one that you cannot afford. I, myself, love the college I attend and would not have selected my choices any different way than I did in high school.

Holli

If I could go back, I would tell myself that college is what you make of it. You might not be 100{4a082faed443b016e84c6ea63012b481c58f64867aa2dc62fff66e22ad7dff6c} happy about situations that arise, (whether it be financially, socially, academically, etc.) but you do have control on how you handle and adapt to them. Take the time to research and apply to every scholarship opportunity because while it is time consuming, every little bit helps. Make sure you are aware of all of your scholarship and financial aid opportunities and take full advantage of them. It is easy to get lost in the social life of college; be sure to remember that academics are your priority and find a way to maintain a good balance between school work and social life. Keep your head up and have the confidence to know that you are capable of doing anything you set your mind to, and getting a degree gives you a boost in the right direction!

Attending Notre Dame College has been a learning experience for me. So far I have learned that everyday is not easy and everything comes with a price. There are some things that you have to do for yourself and it's time to become independent. Attending this college has been valuable to me because it feels like I entered the real world and I know what I have to deal with when I really do get on my own. I feel that Notre Dame is a school of preparation for life.

Tiera

I have gained knowledge in my field of study, life long friendships, and the confidence to strive for success. The college was just the right size that it allowed me to thrive and participate in healthy competition without me getting lost in the shuffle of so many others. I have truely grown as a person and would do it all over again the exact same way.

Steven

The main thing that I've gotten out of my college experience so far is knowing that I'm able to be myself. Living on your own, deciding on what to eat, if or when your going to do your homework or study, to go out and party or catch up on sleep are all things that I've had to decide on when living on my own in school. I've also valued the fact that the way I perform in college is going to decide what happens to me when I graduate from school. If I'm lazy and don't do well, I might not get the job that I want but since I've been motivatd and focused on my future, I believe I'll be able to obtain the job that I am dreaming of. But in the end I've learned that I can be a successful and productive student all by myself. I believe that's what I value the most because now I know that regardless of what happens after college, I'll be able to live on my own without the guidance or nurturing of my parents.

Tyrone

After attend college for my semester this past fall, I've met new people. Learned more about computers, as well as the things I need to better myself in to be more successful in my major. I am learning how to take care of myself more being on my own four hours away from home. College has been very valuable to me because it is helping me acquire the materials that I need to become more prepare for the job I would like to presue following college.

Nikki

If I could go back in time and talk to myself as a high school senior I would strongly encourage myself to start college right away. I would have told myself to finish college before starting a family and to go ahead and be the first one in my family to be a college graduate. If I had known how hard it is now as a parent of three children I would have told myself to graduate from college and start my career as a teacher before becoming a parent. I would have told myself the task of being a college student and a parent at the same time will be the most difficult task you will ever take on. If I would have known back then what I know now about college life and how rewarding it is to be college graduate I would have also told myself to listen to my grandmother when she told me to start colllege and not to stop until I graduated!

The most important piece of advice I could give myself is not to underestimate the value of continuing my education. I would encourage myself to go away to college and remind myself that the feeling my family couldn't survive without me is a feeling based strictly on fear, not reality. I would convince myself that staying dedicated and working hard will be rewarded with a degree in four years. It would take four dedicated years and I would have to wait to spend my money on nice cars and lavish clothing, but the wait would be well worth it. I would stress the importance of staying committed until I have earned a degree. I would tell myself to follow my true passion of teaching children because that is truly the one thing that has always put a smile on my face. Lastly, I would tell the vivacious young woman in front of me, remember to take deep breaths in stressful situations, always smile, and always believe in myself like I do now in the future. I know the education I receive today is a blessing in disguise for the future.

Eva

Getting a college education is a gift that should not be taken lightly. It could be the difference between just living or living with purpose. Open your mind to discovering new people and new possibilities. See the magnificient opportunity to learn from people who come from places all over the world. I am now standing in the center of a view of the past, present, and future in one place! The past, building on what others have fought to give me this opportunity; the present, meeting great voices of the world in each fellow student or professor; and future, preparing to become what I have dreamed of being, a woman educated and educating others. Take advantage of every moment! You are making a great choice.