Nova Southeastern University Top Questions

Eva

Dear Eva, Follow your dreams and do not waste time. It is ok to feel fearful for this experience as it is new for you, but you have proven to be capable and have what it takes to continue your education. You have great passion and commitment for learning so college will be an exciting journey. You will meet people from different cultures and backgrounds that will increase your perspective of the world and will make you be a better person. Do not be impatient with yourself expecting to know all the answers now. Reach out for help at school with the advisors as they are there to support you in your journey and direct you to resources that would help you accomplish your career goals. One more advice, know what you want and why you want to accomplish it. This will help you stay motivated in times when getting tired or things are difficult. Know that you will be one of those happy people that will be doing work that they love. You will be thankful every day because of the impact you make in people’s lives and there is not a greater reward than that.

Jordyn

If I could go back in time, and talk to myself as a high school senior, knowing what I do now about college life and making the transition I would give myself this advice: Hey it's me (you from the future), Here's some advice since you are going to have to make your own decision soon, maybe you should start applying to state schools, I heard in-state tuition is a giant plus. Also, you should probably reconsider the whole "going to Nova" idea you have stuck in your head. Yeah, it sounds great now, getting away from everyone and finally being able to become your own person. But a state school can help you do that too, for a lot less. Plus you won't believe this now, but you end up missing your family a lot more than you thought, and tickets aren't as cheap as you would think. Trust me you'll thank me later. By the way, reconsider that tattoo, it doesn't look so great once the freshman fifteen kicks in. Love me/you.

ahmed

I have four main advices that I have noticed after I graduated from the high school. The first advice that I would give it to myself is to concentrate on the subjects that I will use in my biology major in the university. I would taxe extra courses in chemistry, physics and biology. Moreover, I would try to cover every thing in those subjects as much as I could to be prepared well for the next step in my education path. The second advice is to pay attention to the scholarships as they will make it easier for me to pay the fees and tuitions of the university. If I returned back to those days, I would not let this opportunity pass away, and I would apply as much as I can. I would realize the importance of applying for scholarrships and do my best. The third advice is a little bit personal, which is to leave a positive and a good print inside the hearts of the friends and the people nearby. I would try to be nice and gregarious all of the times. The fourth advice is to be hardworking, because I will be the future.

I would tell my young self not to be so nervous!! I held back from a lot in college as far as meeting new study groups and branching out and trying intermural sports. I would also tell myself that life itself gets pretty incredible as soon as you move away to college. There are much greater things ahead than what is currently happening in your life and you will make it through to better days. Study harder than you are in high school because there is no makeup time nor will professors take excuses. Make friends with the smart kids in class because they will always have your back and be able to help you when you need it most. Also, its okay to change your major a time or two.... or four, no judgment. The average student changes their mind seven times! And most importantly, keep your head up because it only gets better from here!

To sharpen our study habits, immediately join SAGE so you can have more time with some of the best people you have ever met, and to brush up on your SCUBA diving.

Do not take time off after graduation! It sounds like a great idea. It is relaxing but you will become unmotivated and lazy. When you do finally go back to school you will not do very well during your first semester. You will still be trying to motivate yourself. Just keep going!!

Shanygne

Being a first generation American and the first in my family to attend school in the United States I have realized that I didnt know as much information about the school system as other students in high school. I didnt understand what scholarships were, why the SAT or ACT was so important or why certain highschool classes were benificial for college credits. Talking to myself in my senior year of highschool I would of explained how those simple things could of made an impact on me and also the steps of picking classes, buying books, making a schedual and constatly checking up on my finacial aid office. I would of told myslfe that it takes time to pick a major and sometimes the first choice is not always the one you end up with. Observing the upperclassmen my first year of college scared me on how intelectual they were. I thought I had no fighting chance to be on that level but I have realized that every student has disadvantages well as advatages. I would of told myself not to be discouraged and to use what I am best at to shine and to work hard on what I lack.

Savannah

I would tell myself not to get caught up in stupid situations like going out too much or eating junk food too often, because at the end of the day, it's really going to catch up to your health and your grade point average.

Chelsea, college is so different from high school. First off, mom and dad are no longer here to make sure that you do your homework every day so you really need to get working on that because if you don't do it here, you're in for some trouble. Luckily you find during your freshman year that it really is not that bad to make yourself do homework and study. You want those good grades so you are willing to put in those countless hours at the library preparing for exams. Next, you really need to have noise cancelling headphones because the kids in your dorm hallway are loud! Of course, that is all part of the experience. Also, you will find out that your roommate is not very clean so you will end up doing most of the cleaning. If you like, you can practice at home and show mom that you won't be living in a pig sty when you get to college. Lastly, you should know that college is great and you will have so much fun. You will make some of the most amazing friends that you will create life long memories with.

Myah

The most important advice I could give myself as a high school senior would’ve been apply to as many scholarships as I could. Don’t expect money to come to you or fall from the sky, you have to go get it and it may be hard, but you cannot give up. I would have asked as many questions as I could about financial aid instead of thinking I knew everything, because clearly I don’t know everything. I would have told myself to save every penny I had, because I will need it later.

Natalia

If only I could actually go back and tell myself not to be lazy! I have been in college for two full years since I graduated high school, if I knew then what I know now I would apply, apply, and keep applying myself to study more for my SAT's. I have since then learned that without a good SAT, score you have fewer opportunities of having your dreams come true. Though, having a good SAT, score to me seems important, I would also told myself that having money for the expenses of being in college could really make a difference. Applying for scholarships my senior year would have aided me now by lowering the amount of stress college tuition can bring. What would have made a difference in my college life would be to know that high school education doesn’t compare to a University. I would tell myself that even though you just have two classes a day that does not mean the workload will be easy. Those are all decisions I wish I would have done, and lastly I wouldn't dorm with my best friend freshman year in order for us to still be friends.

Although community college is more affordable, remember you want to get to a four-year university where you can begin working on getting your degree & hopefully finish in four years. You have the grades to do it just make sure you apply on time & do everything you have to do to get there. Remember the college life will not be easy, you will have alot of studying to do and although this may stress you out, make time for it find a way to ge your studying hours in and all your work done. It may be exhausting but remember in the long run this will all pay off. Stay on top of things, give it your all and focus on all your classes, remember you want to pass all your classes so you can move on and graduate with your degree. Talk to counselors for help. You will be very proud of yourself. There are lots of ways to receive help financially so make sure you inform yourself on that, there is financial aid if you qualify and scholarships you may apply for, take advantage of the opportunities you have, especially as a hispanic college student with good grades.

maria

I would have prepared my self better academically , I feel like maybe sometimes humans make the mistake of saying "I will do this later" , but we never end up doing it. School wise it is important because it is a preparation that when things come they might not be as challenging as expected.

Manny

The best advice I would give to myself would be... "Look, I know you may think you don't need college and that's awesome. Go for it bro. As for me, I was different and I found college to be the greatest training ground for understanding what I truly wanted to do. Now, it wasn't the classes, the course work or anything like that. Nah, for me it was the ability to have a serious work ethic, meet all kinds of people and most importantly, to have the most fun ever. I mean, I used to be so obsessed about making it that I forgot about all the stuff that I loved to do. I don't want you to do that either, so learn from a fool who did. Thankfully, I already learned it and now I love my life. I encourage you to do the same. So make your decision because your are gonna make the right one. Just look in your heart and feel it now. Feel your happiness and feel it now. When you do... you'll know what to do. Live from your heart bro, you'll never regret it." Something like that...

Kassandra

During my high school career, I was a hard-working individual who was overly involved in extracurricular activities. However, since I was busy, I assumed that I couldn't take too many advanced college courses. This is where I feel that I failed myself. I know that applying myself to more difficult courses in high school would've been in my benefit in the long run. Granted, the classes I took in high school were all honor-level courses, but they never challenged me enough and I was aware of that. I wanted to play it safe to get a higher GPA. This affected my acceptance to many universities, my timeliness and monetary needs as a student. The simple classes that could've been taken in high school I decided to avoid because I wanted to "play it safe," when in fact I was creating a more rugged academic journey for myself. That being said, if I could go back and give myself some futuristic advice, it would be to take advanced courses in order to be able to attend the university of my choice, save thousands of dollars and being able to start my career at a younger age.

When making the transition into college, students including myself, are very apprehensive. If I could talk to myself I would say, relax and enjoy everything from every grade, good or bad, to the 100's of activities. These things are shaping your college experience; they are shaping you. Enjoy every situation and every interaction you encounter. Relax! Nerves and anxiety only cause you to overlook the ability to enjoy every experience to the fullest. College is fun! It is a time of exploration. Sign up for every club you might be interested, then you can pick a few to stick with once you find out what they are all about. Embrace learning, it is happening everywhere, lectures, labs, dorm rooms, campus events and activities. Be attentive and observe those around you, young and old, learning is occuring everywhere. Above all, hold yourself accountable by reaching out to others. Mom and dad are not around anymore to do that for you and that is the key to success in college.

DeAndre

I am a high school senior now. WOW!! The years of High School zoomed by so fast. Now is the time to put serious thought into the next phase of education which is going to be college. My mom can't really afford to send me to college on her own. I need to develop a plan for financing my education. I need to apply for as many scholarships and grants I can find to ease the burden of financial responsibility. I never realized the cost of a college education. I know college is going to be hard. I will do what ever I need to do in order to make my dream come true as a male nurse. I know I am focused enough to make the grades, but my biggest regret is that I don't think I have done everything possible for financial assistance. Stay online, talk to the counselors at school and work, work, work to find assistance to pay for my dream. I just wish I had started a couple of years ago. But I am confident, I can do it with the time I have until I enroll as a college freshman.

Bridgette

The advice I would give myself is to actually give myself a break and stop being so hard on myself. I would remind myself that everyone has faults and I would try not to be so sensitive to criticism or strive for absolute perfection, which only causes more stress. I would tell myself that mistakes are a part of life and we can choose to harp on them or learn a life lesson from them and move on. I would make sure I leave the past in the past, put blinders on and move forward without looking back.I would also tell myself that it's ok to be a little different from everyone else and instead of being upset or feeling like an outcast and excluded from the party crowd, offer to be a designated driver, which is what I started to do on multiple occasions.

Be prepared to study like you never have before! Don't take too much time socializing; chat with your friends and eat, but then go do your homework! High school and college are NOTHING alike. Do not try to take six classes at at time like you did in high school because it will be stressful and cause your brain to explode with anxiety... School comes first, not boys. If you get caught up in love and then it's ruined, depression may affect your study process. Don't rush to college, it's not all it's cracked up to be. Enjoy your last year in high school.

An advice that I would have given myself as an high school senior would be to stay focused on your goal. As the old tale states " keep your I on the prize". There are many opportunities that may be offered to you that you might have to pass up but if you stay focus on your longterm goal; better opportunities will come. It is easy to start something; however, it harder to persevere and complete your goals. I would tell myself that college life is what you make it. If you want it to be difficult, it can be difficult. If you want it to be fun, it can be fun. However, at the end of it all, make it worth your wild with your intended degree. One of the greatest accomplishments in a person's life to complete their intended major successful with a Baccalaureate. You can be all that you want to be with a bachelor's degree !

viola

I would tell myself not to be nervous and that college isn't all that different from high school. I would also say that I should get on the ball as soon as I start.

Kira

In a time where information is readily available in the Internet, much more people more about university programs. I would tell myself to not rely on the faculty or on someone looking for opportunities for me. Instead, take the initiative to find out what academic programs are more or less in the vicinity of what you are interested in at the time. I wish I would have known more about these academic programs such as dual admissions programs for students that want to go to graduate professional schools.

Alisha

I would give myself the advice on trying to search more for scholarships. I would also tell myself that financial aspects aren't always your fault and that trying hard never hurt anyone. The biggest thing I'd tell myself is that you're going to love who and what you bring out of this experience. Going to NSU I never thought that I'd make so many connections and at such a deep level. I found myself and who I want to be. That was the most crucial thing to me in high school, and I found it at NSU.

Rodney

I would have continued as a Florida State University student, I would have put more into making a definite decision on the major that I really wanted. I wanted to become a special education teacher, and I should have followed that dream. I am trying to now, I am a graduate student at Grand Canyon University trying for the masters in special education. I would tell myself to reach for the stars, and believe in myself, and just because I came from a small town in Florida, that I could and should one day become a teacher and come back and help to change the system.

Magda

I would stay focus in school so that I would be able to receive scholarships that would help me. Education is the most important aspect in your life. Continue to work hard and study to maintain a GPA above 3.5. Learn how to balance school life, personal life and work life. College may sound scary, but it will be one of the best experiences that you will have. You will make life long friendships with your fellow classmates. Make the most out of your time at school. Join clubs that will help in the community. But most importantly, have fun.

Louis

Above all I would advise any prospective high school student to stay curious; or become curious if they are not already! A related piece of advice would be to cultivate a passion for something; some subject of interest. Take the opportunity to explore this more, interact with others who have the same passion. Use this as a starting point for learning more about other subjects. When in college, take this time to broaden your horizons and recognize how connected everyone and everything is. This sounds like a tall order but this can be accomplished. This wish would be my advice high scholl senior transitioning to college.

Do not go to Nova Southeastern, you will not like it.

Tasha

I would tell myself that I need a lot more money to go to college. I would say not to trust the financial aid department when they claim you are paid for, because you are not. You need more money, and more shcolarships. Your Bright Futures scholarship does NOT pay for as much as they said it would. They did not tell you how much your existing scholarships will cover the cost accurately. Get more shcolarships, and more money! As much as possible. Don't take out loans like I had to do. Don't let your grades drop because of how scared you are that you won't be able to pay for college. Don't trust the financial aid department to tell you the truth. Keep getting scholarships. Keep getting money. This college is great, but it's seriously expensive. And you do not have enough money right now. You need more. You are prepared for everything except the bill. Bottom line, you need more money!

If I could go back in time I would tell myself to get ready for all the responsibility that comes with being a college student. It is a very big transition especially when it involves moving out, or finding ways to afford the education. The only way to get through it is to take each semester at a time. For example, if in one semester you can not afford tuition, take out the necessary amount in loans and not a penny more because all those interest will be worst later. Then look for a job which fits well with school. The key into the transition is really knowing how much you can take on at one time. Do not worry about the money if the grades start slipping, school is the main priority. Remember, failing one class means you need to pay for it all over again.

I started college with a general idea of what I would like to do with the rest of my life, but once a vast array of options became available. Being out in the "real world" changes your perspective. I think it is key for all college students to use their first year as a very self-exploratory time, to truly get to know yourself. That's what I did, learned where exactly I feel invigorated, peaceful and happy, to be able to understand yourself helps the ultimate goal of establishing and setting goals. Being in a college atmosphere is the perfect place for this! I have enjoyed the full experience, being involved on campus, having fun with friends, and doing well in classes. I think what I have gotten most out of my experience is learning how to create balance in my life, and how to stay organized. This is a key part of setting goals, short term ones, and long term goals as well. I wish this experience was available to everyone, thats why we apply for scholarships! Thanks for helping us hard-working students get through this necessary time in our lives!

What I have gotten out of my college experience other than knowledge is the motivation to continue and pursue a higher education. I’ve achieved to obtain my Associate in Arts within 2 years at Miami-Dade College and I am continuing with my Bachelors in nursing this January 2011 at Nova Southeastern University. My college experience has made me see how important it is to obtain a higher education as well as observe that it could either make you or break you. It foreshadows your future and it gives you a place in society. My main goal is to one day be able to become a nurse anesthetist. It has been valuable to attend college because it is one step closer to a better future not just for me but for my family. I live with my single mother and my grandmother and they mean the world to me, they are my inspiration to obtain a higher education. This scholarship will help me a lot for that education that I’m striving to achieve.

One of the best things I have gotten through my college experience would have to be the many wonderful people I've come across. I've met a lot of people in college, whether it be in a class or by participating in sports. College is a new chapter in life, and while being in high school was a great time for me, college is a new beginning of the rest of my life. The people you meet during this time may become your life-long friends. The community college I am attending now has given me different outlooks on life, through what I've learned so far in my classes and through meeting new people. My college experience has been very valuable in the fact that it has given me a bird's-eye view of all the opportunities that are out there for me.

Stacy

Being the oldest of 5 , with college I was nervous since I was going to be this first in my family to attend. Through out the years I was able to learn my different talents and capabilities and find out which career would fit me best. I am a very driven young lady and in my college experiences I have held many different leadership positions, while also working at the Radio Station learning more about what I would like to do in the future. Now I am a junior double majoring in Communications and Theater and college, have really helped me find my-self. I was the type of girl that just did not know what I wanted to do and was just trying to please my family being a Biology major. I really wanted to help my family,because my mother is a single mother and my brother is diabetic. Attending college I learned that it is not all about the money and you should do what you want to do. I became more confident in myself and my abilities and beileved that I will be successful one day and make my family proud.

I have gotten a lot out of my college experiences so far such as being introduced to so much diversity and new beliefs and such. I also experienced an actual office job rather than my old previous jobs, I experienced more independence such as most college students do. I learned many personal experiences such as making my own decisions and I must depend on myself no matter what regarding or what anyone says, I should always try for myself to get what needs to be done. It was valuable for me to attend because I go to school in Florida and live in New Jersey so it's a very long way from home for me and it's an entirely different atmosphere and way of living between both places. It helped me really open my eyes and be able to see so much and keep more of an open mind with things. Attending this college also helped me figure out what major I wanted to attend and a lot more about myself in only three semesters. Attending this college has been very valuable to me in the lessons and new things I have learned about myself and others.

Mondy

Throughout my college experience, I have learned the true meaning of dedication and hardwork. Through the rigorous studiesI have received, I know first-hand how to be strong minded and keep pushing to get what you want in life. I have grown in my short, but valueable college career. As a student and an employee of Nova Southeastern University I understand that nothing will be given to me. I must dedicate myself to be the best student and worker I can be. I must put my best efforts to be on time for each class and for work. I must study rigorously to learn the information I need for testing and to know my positions. Ralph Emerson once said "What lies behind us and what lies before us are small matters compared to what lies within us." Being in college has shown me how much will power I have within myself. I value every minute I sit in class and spend working on campus because I feel that I am building characteristics that I will be able to past down to offspring, so they may learn these traits earlier than I did.

So far I have learned how to be disciplined throughout my college experience. College has been a value to attend for me because it pushed me to do things I never thought I could do. I have learned how to manage my time well. I have also learned that reading and writing is fundamental and have added to my prior skills. I absolutely love Nova Southeastern University. My college expeirence has been a growing experience and has helped me discover who I am, what I want to do, and what I enjoy. It is definitely a great way to find yourself and your position in life. I wouldn't trade it for the world.

This is my first time attending a major university, after previously attending Broward College ( a community college). I have just completed my first semester at Nova Southeastern University and I have loved my university experience to date. Before entering this program, I was extremely unsure of myself and my future. Within the past three months I have undergone a complete makover, inside and out, that would not have been possible with out NSU. I have made new friends, I have began to work-out daily, and I feel better about myself than I have in years. I am a single mother to a five year old girl and for the past five years my world has revolved around her. For the first time since her birth, I feel like an individual again. Truly, I was not aware of what I was lacking until I began attending NSU. Now I look back on my life before and I wonder "Who was that girl?". I am so grateful that I am able to have this experience, even though I waited until later in life than most. I am eager and excited to see where my education can take me.

My college experience has been a blessing in my life. With receiving my AAS in Nursing, I have been able to provide for my two children. I am a 39yr old single mom with one daughter now in college and a son in high school. I have been a Registered Nurse for 9 yrs and now the time has come for me to further my education. I have always wanted to be a doctor but family life prevented that for a while. I have been accepted to Nova Southeastern University in Ft. Lauderdale, Fl for Winter Semester, 2011. The tuition is really expensive and I would greatly appreciate if you would grant me this scholarship. It will be valuable for me to attend school now to become a doctor so that I can continue to help those in need.

Through getting excepted to college, I have learned many different things. I have learned how to be independent and grow up. I now am very responsible and look forward to my future. Education is very important to me and if I do not receive this scholarship I may not be able to stay in school. I have always worked hard for what I have, therefore I am going to try my best to continue to try to win. I plan on being sucessful in the future so I can going to try as hard as I can to get there. I am extremely motivated and have my self confidence to get me through. When I really want something I go for it, therefore If I want to be the first to graduate from my family, I will. I will be the first one to show my parents that I am not useless and that If I put my mind to something I can do it. All I need is this scholarship to get me a push to completing my goal.

Meskir

I got trumendous knowledge on biological, and other physical sciences, it brought a pradigm shift into my world.

yolanda

Attending Nova Southeastern University was a wonderful learning experience in my life. Through the years that I attended the university, I experience learning knowledge from excellent professors who made an impact in my professional life. Most of the students who attended the university were single mothers like me who struggle to become professionals and become successful, so that they could be good examples for their children and give them a better life. Thanks to obtaining my degrees, I have been able to be a great provider for my children, but most of all an example of the importance of having an education especially if you are a woman.

Carol

I have been a college student for the pass two years and a half, and during this time I have had great experiences. I am a transfer student and I believe that it was the best college decision that I could have ever made. I did to two years in a community college and then transferred to Nova Southeastern University. My college experience has been everything I expected. I have learned a variety of lessons during these pass two years and a half that I will take with me where ever I go. I have also met many interesting and unique students that have helped me out throughout my college life. At both schools that I have attended I have chosen the right classes and professors that have made my college experience a awesome one. It has been valuable to attend college for many reasons. I have learned so much in this short time about many different subjects that have made me a more open minded person and also because I have educational goals in my life that I have achieved by attending college.

Marieann

I learn how to study more and how to be a better test taker

Valentina

I've gotten to interact with my professors so much more than I thought possible, and I am having so much fun with my friends every day during class and outside.

Naissa

i learned that college is a great way to make friends and to learn new things. College is very differewnt than high school; in high school the teachers were there to remind you of ypour assignments due but in colege you're responsible for your own assignments. college makes you become responsible; most of the times college students need a part time job, for that matter, the students will have to manage school work and their job. college is a great experience, it's fun, you have the chance to explore more. when someone goes to college, he/she has a chance of having a bright future because he/she will have a chance to obtain a good job at the end of their studies. i will encourage everybody to go to college, they will not regret it

TAMARA

Now that I am applying to graduate schools, I meet so many people who wish they could go back to freshman year and do it all over. The first semester of college is the hardest, getting used to the routine and the new demands. Slacking off on classes in the first semester can haunt you for years to come. The competition for jobs and spots in reputable graduate schools only gets harder with time. A bad grade earned freshman year does not go away and your GPA is all you have to distinguish you from everyone else. While very easy to go down, your GPA takes time and a whole lot of effort to go back up. If I could give myself advice, I would tell myself to appreciate the opportunity to learn and take it more seriously.

Assuming I could go back in time and talk to myself as a high school senior, I would tell myself to expect change. College is a whole different world, full of new people and new experiences. I would explain to myself that going into college with an open mind is important, because having friends on campus is the best attribute to this school. Nothing is simple nor easy in college, so I would tell myself that working hard is an understatement and I should be prepared to work with tutors and take advantage of the library. This school provides free counseling, so I would tell myself that I will always have someone to talk to if I get home sick or upset. Florida is far away from Boston, Massachusetts, but I would tell myself that I have family down here and they are willing to help me with whatever I need. I would tell myself that being afraid of situations and not dealing with them is not the way to survive college, and to make the best of everything with the opportunities given to me. I would tell myself that the transition is not easy, but can be successful.

Domingo

Domingo Valle The only advice that I can say to myself in the past is " Never give up... Follow your goal and try to let no one and I mean no one hold you back...." This is the only thing that I would say to myself because I feel so strong as I am writing this down that a good education will bring only good thing to my life and family both new and old.

Jadai

I would warn myself to avoid cynicism. An odd choice it may seem, but nothing damages a college student's spirit more than a jaded negativity in what they are studying and where it will take them. I would sit down and explain that there will be nights where you will stay up perfecting every miniscule detail of a project, days where you will feel emphatically overwhelmed with your studies, and moments where you will have the utmost confusion regarding what you even want out of life. The best advice I could give is to not fear failure or even fear itself. Every college student goes through the good and the bad perspectives. Take advantage of what college has to offer, Jadai. There are people there to provide succor in directing you to a fitted career path and relate to unfathomable workloads. Have faith in your intelligence and intuition. You will not have everything figured out. No one does. Only the immature believe they are young enough to know everything. I will promise myself that I shall always delve into what I learn. I promise I will not fear what I have yet to learn just as well.

joselle

I would say to myself that i have to study as hard as i can in order to stay one of the best students of my high school, and to be among the best students in the college i'd be attending because there are so many opportunities for great students.