Nyack College

« See more reviews of Nyack College

My college experience has only been one year, however what I have learned far surpasses english 1 and basic algebra. The faculty has done an incredible job at making their classes not only informative, but generally enjoyable. The students are helpful, friendly, and considerate, as well as fun, and uplifting. My experience at Nyack College has been an unforgettable, and awesome one. ere is nowhere else i would rather be for the rest of my college years. I have grown academically, personally, and spiritually since arriving on the campus. My Residence Assistant (RA), as well as the other leaders in my dorm were cheerful and always lending a helping hand. The professors I had were knowlegable, as well as fun, and made my learning experience enjoyable and memorable. I found a group of friends who helped me through hard times, and helped each other grow personally and spiritually. We daily strive to uplift each other, and make ourselves better. My experience at Nyack College has been so much more than just a year at school. I met wonderful leaders, friends, and professors; I matured and grew. I would recommend Nyack College to anyone because of my experience this year.

My Name is Alice M. Ballard, and I am currently a 12th grade student at John Hay High School in Cleveland, OH. I am a member of the "High Tech - Upward Bound" career path which allows me to successfully take college courses and receive college credit simultaneously. Upon graduating in June 2011, I will receive my high school diploma, along with an "Associates Degree" from Cleveland Community College - (Tri C). My experience in college has been instrumental in devleoping my social skills. I have a speech impediment that has hendered me for many years. In spite of the fact I have been athletic and out going, my college experience has shown me the other side of "success." - Being around a college campus and college students, we are all very respectful of one another, which when I talked, nobody was quick to make fun of my style of speaking. I feel elated to know that it won't be difficult to speak around others in a college environment, knowing they will not down play my words or try to embarras me. I'm looking so forward to continue my education after achieving my associates degree. Thank You.

This fall thousands of students will enroll to receive a diploma in 2012. That seemingly insignificant paper will enable students to pursue the career they have always dreamed of. Don't be afraid to try a new place or take a chance with a university. I attended the same college as my sister which I don't regret now but I should have explored my options a little more before deciding. Also, always look at the financial aid offered and make sure you are getting the best deal. Some schools may boast an inexpensive yearly tuition but may have other outrageous costs for meal plans or housing. Always be aware of scholarships and grants, these are the best way to help pay for college as you do not take out a loan and pay them later. In the end, the name of the school on your diploma may have little impact in your professional career, it is the effort that students put into their education that will determine their success. College, however, is not only about grades, it is about independence. This is one thing that cannot be bought or sold, but experienced. This is your legacy, make it last.

Ah, the joys of high school! Living at home, complimentary free meals from your mother, comfortable conversation with well-known friends, free tuition to school, and the sometimes allowance to skip class is soon to be omitted from college life. You will miss the granted cushions of adults who remind you to rise before you miss the deadlines. Being immersed into the social life and not your G.P.A is a dangerous levy to cross. Your dreams will not be satisfied without a stable career or job training skills that beget inevitable happiness. The immaturity of relying on faithful adults to aid you will be absent in your dorm away from home. Start taking yourself seriously! Practicing to be a reliable and serious young adult will be a bigger pay off then your chore allowances. Set your alarm, seek help, interview people in your desired career, save money, and aspire for the higher the grade. I promise, the summer will not be fraught with bitter tastes of an underprepared child, but the sweetest preparation of the next exciting phase of your life.

If I could back and talk to myself as a high school senior I would make a plan for my senior year. First I would take the time and thought to figure out what might I like to major in college. I would do this over the summer before my senior year starts so that I could take high school courses in that area. Those courses would benefit me in college and put myself one step ahead. Second, as soon as the semester would starts I would consult to my high school's counselor for information about colleges and scholarships. I would then establish a close relationship with her so that I could get the extra help. Third, I would strived to become a straight A student and achieve Honor Roll. Fourth, during my first quarter I would've narrowed my college choices to the top ten and apply for each. Of course I would at first present my college choices to my college counselor and plan out the next steps with her. By winter break I would begin applying for scholarships and apply to as much as 20 or more. Overall I would have taken the year more seriously.

Before entering a university, I as a very unmotivated student, and never put my best effort into my studies. I didn't see the point of further educating myself, therefore, didn't even plan on attending college. I applied to schools anyway and got into one! I decided to give it a try and what I got as a great experience! It taught me that without hard work and committment, one can't excel in life. In order to succeed, one must put forth that much work. As I started to study things that interested me, I also discovered the joy of learning. I was no longer learning subjects that bored me, but actually learning about things that I wanted to use in my future career. College also taught me responsibility. Without a parent constantly reminding me to do my homework or to study for my tests, I initially found it difficult to get all my work done. As the semester progressed, I learned to structure my day so that I would have enough time to do everything I needed to do. Time management is key to a successful academic career in college.

Dear Elisabeth, It has been a while. I know you are stressed because you are trying to figure out where you want to school. You feel like time is running out, and that you have to get everything done now. As your future self, I am here to encourage you to enjoy every moment of your life. You are smart enough to know what to do and what not to do. Although you know your limits, I encourage you to expand your limits for the sake of your dreams. You are afraid of heights, but take a plane somewhere. You feel like you need to do homework every day, but take a day doing something you really enjoy. People are telling you that you only have one life, and you should make the most of every opportunity. Trust me: you have plenty of time! Although it is important to work as hard as you can, make sure you make time to have fun. In addition, remember that everything happens for a reason. Never complain that something did not go your way. Your life will be a happy ending. If you are not happy, it is not the end. Blessings, Elisabeth

I would say to make sure that your school of choice has the major that you want to take up. Dont wait until your about to be a junior to decide because you may be too far behind to graduate on time. Parents make sure you are willing to support your child finically because in some cases its not that easy to find a job and be a student. If your child only eats certain foods or is very picky you may want to supply them with grococies because college food is nothing compared to mommys food. When you get to college try to stay focused, its very easy to become distracted. There are a lot of fun activites and places you may want to go with your friends but make sure you balance your time and put school first, because its not that hard to fall behind in work because you want to play. But most importantly student have fun and make the most out of your college experince, oh and make sure you call home at least once a week, t his is something that most college students forget to do. Enjoy college and learn everything you can.

I would encourage students to start looking into colleges their junior year in high school. Never think that it is too early, because once senior year comes its all about acceptance letters and even rejection letters. Be on top of everything and be sure not to miss deadlines and have all documentations ready. I would tell the parent to push their children to look into the schools with their child and let them know how important school is. While looking at schools, take into consideration how far it will be from home. Being very far from home can affect ones social life and that can prevent the college experience from being great. But while you are there, always rememeber thats a one time experience. Have as much fun as possible and don't miss out on oppurtunities of meeting great people, but always remember to get the work done. As I was once told its better to pay then play. Meaning, its better to pay gettin all the work done and know when its time to play and have fun. But over all, Be responsible.

Although college is a segment of time where you learn, meet new friends and lovers, decide or become undecided on a major, it is a place where you can make mistakes and start again. Do not be afraid of failure. Whether it is failing a class or losing a friendship, college is a place of learning in every area of your life. Although the odds look like they are stacked up against you, as long as you do not give up, you can always win. Failure is just a propeller to show you how to avoid the same mistakes on your next try. How many tries did it take Thomas Edison to make the first incandescent, electric light bulb until he got it right? Like him we should aim never to settle for less and to strive on through our mistakes to learn from them and to become a growing success in our endeavors. George Eliot said, “It is never too late to be who you might have been.” You may have a dream that did not work out the first time you tried it, but it is never too late to try again and see it become a reality.