Nyack College

« See more reviews of Nyack College

While I was a student at a small, private, Christian highschool in upstate NY, the thought of attending college made me very nervous. I wasn't nervous about what grades I would get , meeting new people, or what profession to pursue, rather I was fixated on a single step: leaving what was familiar. Although I don't like to admit it, change has been difficult for me and taking that step to leave for college and begin a business degree was a challenge. That initial change may have been difficult on my nerves but it's now rewarding in that I am more confident and willing to attempt things that seem intimidating to me. First steps toward new experiences are an easier process since I've attended college. At first, beginning college itself was an act of courage and a willingness to overcome personal obstacles, now college is a place where I explore more unfamiliar areas in life and become equipped to address them. I value my college experience because it has emboldened me.

College is a wonderful experience than will impact you forever. This is a choice about your life and should be taken with the upmost seriousness. Although college is known to be a place to find identity which often comes with partying and drinking, there are much more concrete ways to discover who you are. Education and vocation oppurtunity should be the first priority. A school's greatness comes from the interaction between students and professors. It is wise to see out a place where you know you will be challenged both accedemically and socially. Ask yourself first what your main goal is, afterall we are paying a fortune now a days to go anywhere to get a degree. So if in the long run you're hopes are to get a great job in an area you love, find the school the is most advanced in that area. Find a place where you know you will enjoy the campus and what is around it, as well as the size and the people. Most importantly find a place that welcomes you to become your very best.

Dear Jasmine, I know your so excited about senior year and moving on to adulthood.However,there are some things you should know about college life and life in general. When applying for colleges do not procrastinate getting college essays into the admissions office because that can delay your acceptance. You may think that writing a two page essay is a alot, but trust me hun...it isnt! Once you get to college,proffessors will expect you to write three-five paged papers so get use to all the writing.Once you get accepted to the college of your choice create a list of things you need.You should try going online and see the college's reccomendation list of things you might need.Most importantly,be yourself no matter what happens.Acting like somene else is very hard and you'll be drowned with essays to worry about that. Later, Jasmine

Dear Me, You're about head out on the long and hard journey. It will not be easy and this will be the toughest experience of your life. Yet, always remember it will be the most special time of your life. It'll be an emotional roller costar! Most likely you will cry, laugh, make lots of new friends, get angry, but then a wave of peace will come. I know this will be shock to you since you've always managed to keep your game face on. Just brace yourself cause you know how you get. You're strong, but your weaknesses are what you will need to focus on to endure what's ahead. I know it sounds strange, but just listen. You are very aware of your strengths, but this will be the best time in your life to grow where you are weak. This advice will not only help you through college, but for the rest of your life. Strive to become all you can. Let nothing or no one hold you back. I know you heard those sayings before, but remember it's not where you are, it's where you're going!

Prior to attending Nyack, I did not see the value in engaging in conversations outside of my stance in life. My experiences at this school has thrust me into a broader and deeper appreciation for life in general. While we all have differences of opinion, it is imperative to understand the depth of one's conviction which enables you to hear them from their perspective and not your preconceived notion of a culture, person, etc. Group discussions, activities, and assignments with my cohort have taught me that while we all may take different routes in life, ultimately our goals are the same, to succeed. We must all learn to appreciate the route that each one takes and glean from the ideas, understandings, cultural differences and opinions of others. We must learn to unite and pull from the strength that is amongst you, and realize that none of us are islands, we need each other. Your help in life just may not look, believe or perceive as you do. Stay open!

The first thing I would say to myself is take advantage of every oppurtunity. If there is a scholarship you could apply for take the time to fill it out because chances are there are a lot of other students who are too lazy to do it. Make sure that procrastination is a thing of your past. The best thing to do while in college is to start every assignment once you find out about it. It is not to hard to maintain a great gpa if you follow your syllabus and stay on top of your assignments. It is however very diffucult to catch up and maintain good grades. There does have to be down time or you will get burned out very quickley. Also despite what you have heard about teachers not being as friendly in colleger they really to want the best for their students. So if you are struggling just ask to speak with them and they will most likely help. The best advice I can give is to work on time management. Time management becomes your best friend in college.

If I was given the opportunity to go back in time and talk to myself as a high scool senior, knowing what I know about college life now and its transitions, the advice I would give myself is to free myself of the burden of going back in time to speak to my past self. It is much to large a responsibility. I would, as a high school senior, tell my future self that it is not worth the waste of words and time to come back from the future to forwarn me of my future self. I would tell my future self that I want to experience what life has, its beautiful struggles, its pain, its love, its ineviatable struggle for progression in this everchanging world. This would be what I would have to tell my future self as a high school senior. Not waste his time going back to the past to warn me but to keep a vigilant eye to the past, in order to free himself of mistakes commited in the past to soar into his future free of worry.

I would advise parents to encourage their students to focus on what it is they wnat to do with their life when deciding on what college to attend. I encourage parents to research with their children different colleges that have good programs for what they want to do, and weigh those colleges against one another on other areas such as location, cost, student population, or campus activities. It is very important that students apply to more than one school. One of my biggest regrets is only applying to one school, so that I pretty much had to go to that one school when there might have been other schools that were better suited to what I wanted to study. It doesn't matter if students think their mind is set, parents should encourage them to search around for what would be the best fit for them and apply to several different schools, so that their options remain as open as possible.

Jelani tighten it all up and do not play with your life. The things of high school that are so pleasurable are but a wimper in the wind in this "real world." Don't let anyone tell you hard work is the less rewarding way because hard work builds a stone solid foundation and if the rain and wind come near you they will not be able to knock you off balance. Short cuts in short are for those who desire less from themselves. Study a bit more and joke around less knowing there is a time and place for everything. If you take a leap before a step you might fall into the gap so always remember like the tortoise and the hare, slowly but surely wins the race. Also tell your mom you love her more and more everyday she is doing and will do so much more for you than you can imagine. Peace kid!

I have received a great deal of self worth and validation. I thought I was entering college just to get an education but what I left with was so much more. I became aware of who I was and realized I was capable of doing even greater things as I pursued other areas in my life. It gave me the confidence to speak in front of others and the assuredness of being articulate while doing so. I also tell those whom I mentor that your education is something that no one can ever take from you. Once you achieve that goal its an achievement you can always look upon and be proud of. In short my college education gave me pride, self worth, validation of self, confidence to go on to other things, and the ability to pay it forward by sharing my experience and education with others.