Oakland City University Top Questions

Out of my college experience in the Fire Protection Engeneering program so far I have learned many vaulable characteristics and ways to protect myself and my community in emergency situations. Once I obtain my associates degree I would like to travel across the United States Investigating structure fires and educating the public on fire safety. I love working with kids, so therefore I believe I can make an impact with my edcatino

From only attending Oakland City University for almost a year I have experienced a lot. College is very different from high school from the teachers to the atmosphere. At Oakland City University I have noticed that the teachers or professors are a lot more laid back and all have different cultural backgrounds. Something else that I have experienced is that a student really has to work hard to get good grades. In high school students barely had to be in class and they could still pass. While in college after missing just a few days a student can be kicked out of the class. So, while teachers might be laid back they are there to teach and want students to be there to learn all of the material. Another thing I have experienced in college is a student needs to be responsible for themselves. Deadlines and paperwork are not up to the parents anymore it is up to the attending student. So while only in college for less than a year I have learnt overall to be responsible.

Faith

My college experience has taught me many valuable lessons. Growing up in a home where any dreams of furthering my education were immediately crushed was very discouraging. Not having parental support has made my college experience much more challenging. However, my choice to step out on my own and pursure my educational dreams against all odds has been a great experience. Attending Oakland City University has been valuable for me not only because of all that I have learned but because of the life that it has given me. Both students and faculty have been very encouraging of my aspirations and have given me the support I need to make my education experiences profitable. My time here at Oakland City has not just been about academics. It has inspired me to live life, pursue my dreams and make something of myself regardless of circumstances and discouragement.

Frances

College is so important to not only my future but also my family and future children. I want to set an example to my children that you can do anything you set your mind to, and no goal is out of reach. So far attending school has kept me focused on studying instead of parties and other distracting things. Going to school will allow me achieve my degree in nursing and change the lives of every patient I come into contact with. I am excited to make it through college and into the career I am passionate about.

When I was in high school, I always looked forward to being in college and feeling all "grown up." Now that I am here, I really do appreciate and enjoy the experience more than I anticipated. It has a lot more freedom than grade school did, and I really like being able to manage and determine my own schedule for the most part. Since I participate in Varsity Soccer, it was definitely very busy first semester, but it helped me learn to balance my time out. I have loved the social aspect of college. I always enjoy meeting new people, and I have made so many great friends. Having a Christian environment was a key factor for me, and I definitely feel that here. All the classes are also great, and the teachers are very helpful. Overall, I am definitely loving college so far, and I look forward to the rest of my years here. I know it has already been valuable, and there is even more to come.

If I would sit down with a future college student, I would tell them to visit all the optional college campuses. If they have narrowed it down to only a couple, they should visit them each once for sure, maybe twice. In my experience of visiting the campus, I knew right when I arrived that I wanted to be there. Oakland City University is a small church based campus, but they do not exclude you if you do not believe in the same religion. Also, pick the right size for you. Big campuses can be very overwhelming, especially if you are from a small area. Next, get involved with the school. I do not mean you have to sign up for every club, but when you are asked to join or play on an intramural team, for example, do it. Those experiences are the best thing that will happen to you. Lastly, be open to everything. Making new friends is one of the most exciting experiences. It gets your juices flowing, makes you nervous, but you will end up with some of the best friends, and those friendships will last a lifetime.

Mindy

Go around and check out the different campuses. Sit in a class period or two. Also, talk to students that currently attend that school and see what they think about it.

Make it the best that you can. Choose the one that you think is the best for you.

Any parent needs to know that it's very important to listen to your child's opinion on which school they like best. After all it's where they have to go for the next 4 years or so for their future. I also recommend that the student should be in some kind of club, sport, group, play, etc. this only helps them get to know people that are similar to them. This also helps them find new friends fast so they don't get home sick fast and want to quit. I believe it's important for the parents and their child to have a serious conversation over what school they should attend. Finally, the parents should vist schools with their children so they can both be comfortable with the overall decision of their future.

When trying to decide on a college one should look not only at the academics, but also at the extra curricular activities. Although the student is there to learn, they also need to have the opportunity to go out and enjoy themselves. The friends you meet at college are the friends that you'll keep for life. It is very important that you have opportunities to go out and meet these new friends.