Rochester Hills, MI
Oakland University

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Oakland University

Krystena

I like the closeness of it to my house. I save a lot because parking is free. The library is a great study spot, and the extra curricular activities are interesting.

That we stay up a lot, like nocturnal grizzlies. It's accurate because juggling time could mean all-nighters.

Major related activities or social communities, such as gender equality groups.

Everyone seems focused on themselves and what they want to do; they tend to stick around people they already know.

They're challenging, but they are doable. There is great study material at the library.

CLARIZZA

Clarizza, I know you think high school is easy and you think college is going to be the same, but trust me it is not. You want to wait a year to go to college, but it is a big mistake. Getting back into school is hard especially if you dont talk to your dad or mom. You have to write a bunch of letters for financial aid stating why you don't talk to them. Also, you have to get letters from old teachers that don't even remember you. I say you should go straight to college because it will be the best experience of your life. Just work hard and keep your head held high. No one is going to watch you and keep you on track, it is your responsibility to keep yourself going. Make sure to never give up because if you visualize yourself accomplishing school than anything is possible. You can overcome any obstacle that get's in your way of going to college. Don't let anything stop you, and remember it's not alway's going to be easy, but, if you can push through it than you will make it.

I would tell myself that its okay to not really know what field you want to go into just yet. I would say freshman year do the fun classes and explore but by the end of the sophomore year it is time to really start thinking what you want to do and start taking the classes. You do not want to be in college forever so it is time to start putting some serious thought into what you want to do!

I like the size of my school the best. It is not as big as some universities but it is not as small as community colleges.

I wish I would have known more about the different majors they offered.

Aimee

First of all, I would tell my younger self that things would definitely improve later on in life. I would tell myself to apply for as many scholarships as possible. Even though at the time I never thought about it, I would tell myself that it was important to become more and more sociable. Though I never had many friends in high school, I would tell my younger self to try being on good terms with everyone. Making friends and joining study groups has vastly aided my college experience, and has on more than one instance improved my grades on exams. Above all, I would tell myself to strive for the best, but to expect hardships to come my way. In that case, I would caution myself on being withdrawn within myself. Confidence is key, and I'd make sure to tell myself to not be afraid of being outgoing and trying new things. More than anything, I would tell myself to take risks and to step outside my comfort zone. You never know until you try.

My school boasts a rich social component on its' campus. It offers over a hundred student organizations, so there is definitely something for everyone at Oakland University. By offering a large array of clubs to join, there is always a way for students to find a group of like minded individuals. Personally, I managed to find a club full of people who loved making and discussing films as much as I did.

I often brag about my involvement in campus clubs and organizations. I love telling stories about my experience with directing student produced films. I'm very proud of my directorial accomplishments, and I love letting people know that I have achieved things that I take great pride in most of the time.

Christian

In my opinion, Oakland University is best known for having one of the few Chick Filet Restaurants in Michigan inside their student food court lounge. Not only is this the best fast food restaurant around, but after having a long morning of lectures from professors, looking forward to dipping those steak fries into some polynesian sauce made attending Oakland University worthwhile.

What's unique about Oakland University is the 7 to 1 girl to guy ratio of students on campus. Now for any prospective student searching for the right school who does not know where to go, this fact alone could be a draw for many guys not just looking for a degree. Being a great school that draws many future female teachers to Oakland's exceptional education and nursing programs, guys will find themselves emersed with attractive females in every classroom. Now I wasn't aware of this fact before i started going there, but it definitely was a plus!

In high school, students are often in search of their own identity and often don't figure out their calling or purpose until well after high school. Many are left with unanswered questions about themselves, who they are, what are they suppose to become, career choices, and how they see themselves in society. A perpetual search for purpose and meaning to quench the soul is often at the heart of a student as they choose a career path and pursue education. I found myself like this, not know what i really wanted to study and pursue, but knowing i needed a degree in something. So the advice i would give my high school self is this: As you transition into college and make a decision on a career path, don't have the mindset that you have to become established in one particular job for the rest of your life or be good at one job description. Let your area of interest, talents, abilities, and passion for knowledge guide you into a world of discovery where you find yourself growing and adapting to new job challenges. College is about learning how to learn, not trying to become. Enjoy the journey.

I would tell myself that you’re going to make a million mistakes but its ok, no regrets. Just try to learn from them a bit quicker. I would also say, when you find something you enjoy, try to stick with it. Don’t give up on things so easily, but don’t over commit you. Try to find balance and peace in your life. I would warn myself about Facebook and try not to let it consume your time. I would tell myself that you don’t need to validate who you are to a bunch of people that may not be your friend. I would tell myself to not let technology take over your life. Most importantly when you have that dream, GO FOR IT! We are on this Journey together, Trust it! There will be so many things that change but keep an open mind and be patient.

I wish I would have known that they have a satellite campus closer to me. Ive been going to OU and I never knew that. That would have saved 40 miles round trip three times a week for four years. The satellite campus is about 10 miles from me. I hope to take classes this summer. I also wish I had looked more into scholarships. I now have allot of student loans and debt. I know it will be worth it in the long run though.

The drive would have to be the worst thing right now. Im one credit away from registering for classes a few days earlier. Im hoping to get more online classes to save on gas and miles.

Trevor

If I had the opportunity to travel back to 2012 and tell the cocky high school senior some advice about college, I would tell the younger version of myself that I shouldn't be dependent on my mother. When I was in high school, I thought life was going to be great in College. You know, the parties, staying up all night, sleeping all day, and not working. Just because I had this imagination that my mother would pay for everything and I don't have to work a single day during college. My arrogance blinded me to the fact that she has to work 12 hours a day, 7 days a week. Saying thank you was the last thing on my mind during the last year of high school, because without her, I wouldn't be able to be here. I just wish I knew what was going on outside my selfish bubble and actually tried to obtain decent grades, then slack off and bomb every single test. Though I made mistakes during high school, I'm now a wiser me, and working towards a better future for myself and my mother.

The type of people who should attend Oakland University, are the ones who want to discover new things in different viewpoints. Oakland University provides students with many clubs that is targeted to your career choice and different hobbies. I myself attend many engineering events to learn new things and meet more people with similar interests.

The type of people who shouldn't attend Oakland University, are the ones who lack in seeking help when needed. Oakland University provides students with many opputunities to suceed, ranging from free tutoring, to after class office hours, provided by your teachers.

Nathaniel

Look for scholarships a lot earlier. College is insanely expensive and you are going to be there for a long time. The key is getting money and making sure that you do not run into too much debt. Some is okay because you can pay a small amount back but you really do not want that weighing on your sholders the rest of your life.

Even the lecture halls are pretty small so it is very easy to get to know your professors. I love that you are not just a face in a crowd and that it seems to be a really tight nit community.

The food in the cafeteria is always the same and doesn't taste good. Also the hours for the cafeteria greatly conflict with my schedule so between school and work it is very difficult to eat. By the time I am finally free, lunch is closed or dinner is closed.

My fellow classmates tend to be both academically and career driven, have similar end goals in mind, and are aimed for future personal and career related success.

I feel as though the financial aid office staff could be much more sensitive to the often frustrating topic of financing a hefty university tuition bill. Whether it be speaking with more compassion, or having a generally friendly tone, I believe that these small gestures could help faciliate a more pleasant financial aid experience.

My school is known for being pretty afforadable for being a 4-year university. Most of the school's population is students who commute rather than living on campus. My school also has hundreds of clubs and organizations. It has a beautiful campus and is located in suburban Rochester Hills with downtown Rochester not too far.

I would tell myself to start saving money as soon as possible to pay for tuition. I would also say that it's important to choose a major that works best for you and take full advantage of all of the services that are offered to help ease the transition from high school to college. Most importantly, stay focused on school and work hard to maintain good grades!

Sometimes, the class sizes are too big and you really need to choose your instructors carefully in order to succeed in the class. Also, the textbooks that are required for classes by the professor are very costly, especially if you have to buy them at the school bookstore.

Oakland University administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.