Oakland University Top Questions

Nathaniel

The food in the cafeteria is always the same and doesn't taste good. Also the hours for the cafeteria greatly conflict with my schedule so between school and work it is very difficult to eat. By the time I am finally free, lunch is closed or dinner is closed.

Alexus

the financial aid process and the housing selection. financial aid sometimes takes to long to process everything and the housing process is just something that needs to be changed.

amir

rising tuition costs and parking

The distance between buildings during the winter time or when it's raining is the most frustrating thing about the school.

Margo

The most frustrating thing about Oakland University is the lack of campus life. Although it is primarily a commuter college, some of us do live on camps, and there isn't much to do after class or on the weekends. It is difficult to connect with other students, which in turn makes it difficult to feel like I fit in at or have a bond with the university itself.

leigh

The most frustrating part of my school would have to be my long drive to and from school. I live an hour away and can not afford to move out on my own because all of my money has gone towards my books, gas, and tuition; I have not recieved any money from finacial aid.

The most frustrating thing about my school is the academic advising. It seems that something this important would be monitored more carefully. Every experience I have had with academic advisors has been a poor one. Either they are unknowledgeable, rude or unavailable. Students planning to attend OU should plan to figure out their courses on their own.

Teachers or other students who don't put everything they have into a class. I pay my tuition, out of pocket, and I strive to make every second in class count.

The most conflicting thing at Oakland University is that the food court and student lounge do seem to become crowded frequently throughout the day. However, I believe that it is just another lesson about time management and how to plan out your day wisely in order to successfully and skillfully use the facilities provided.

Everyone says that parking at Oakland University is a pain, that is because they do not want to park and walk, they want to find the closest spot possible. So if you do not have a problem with walking then you will have no problem at Oakland University.

Sometime when you try your study and try your hardest, there are other factors that cause your grade to be lower than you would like it to be.

The most frustrating is the fact that it's so close to home. I had my hopes set on going away but finacially I couldn't.

Pamela

Finding a parking place within 8 minutes of class start time.

The lack of athletics. We do not have a football team, which is really important to me. It brings more school spirit, involvement, and pride. We also do not have a club volleyball team, which is unfortunate because I really wanted to play club when I came here.

Regine

No diversity

The most frustrating thing about Oakland University is that the students' social lives are virtually non-existent. The campus is basically dead on the weekends and the only things to keep you occupied (besides studying) are shopping or going to the occassional party. Studying takes up a lot of time, but there should be something to do to relax. It is not necessarily the fault of the school, the social environment is just lacking.

The most frustrating thing about Oakland University would have to be the counseling department. OU is suppose to be a school that works with the schedules of working commuters. Trying to get in to see a counsler is so hard and not convienent for those that work 9-5.

Bianca

The parking and price esp. with the economy.

It's mostly a commuter school so the chances of meeting new people unless you live on or near campus, or are involved in an activity are slim to none.