Oakton Community College Top Questions

What should every freshman at Oakton Community College know before they start?

I would tell myself to continue to do well in my first semester of college. Community college is pretty easy, but you still need to do your work and study. Study hard so you can keep a good grade point average.

Daria

Dear my senior self, Junior year was rough, huh? But you finally made it to senior year. Don't worry, it'll be even rougher. But I'm not here to tell you about that. I'm here to tell you what college is like and simeltaneously smack some sense into you. I know you applied for scholarships all of last year and you didn't win any, and you're discouraged. But don't stop. Money gets tighter, I promise you. You won't have as many bail outs as you think. So even if you think you won't win, apply. Apply if the amount is small; apply if the comepetition is large, it doesn't matter. You always have a chance at winning some extra money to help your education, as long as you try. And most importantly, believe in yourself. I still have trouble with that to this day, but maybe if you start now, you can benefityou, me, us, in the future. Yours truly, Yourself Who Is College Bound

Rimsha

If I could go back in time and talk to myself as a high school senior, I would tell myself to take my classes more seriously. During my senior year I started slacking because I was very excited for all the activities coming, like prom, and my future in college. I would tell myself to keep pushing harder in order to get the best possible grade in all my classes. I would also tell myself to not stress so much about all the "drama" happening in between my friends. Many students often get side tracked by all the negative things going around in school, including myself, that they forget to just relax, enjoy and have fun their senior year.

Artemis

I would tell myself to put 100{4a082faed443b016e84c6ea63012b481c58f64867aa2dc62fff66e22ad7dff6c} effort into my work, because it will always benefit me in the future when i attend college. an example of this is, learning biology the first time (in high school), makes taking the course again in college so much easier, so i should always work my hardest, no matter how difficult certain subjects and material are!

Eleanor

Do not stress so much about things; it will kill you. You are the type of person who, when you stress about school or work, does not accomplish anything. The best thing for you to do is actually to stop thinking and just do what you need to do next. This has actually worked a lot better for you these past few years than all of the other strategies you used in high school. In regards to the future, don't stress about that either. You really don't know what the future is going to be like, so why worry about it too much? Just take care of the present. Right now, in high school, you are worried about classes and applying for college. These are both great things to concentrate on, but stop stressing so much. You actually do end up at a community college, despite the fact that, as a high school student, you thought you had to go to a university. Ironically, community college was the best thing for you. So, stop stressing and life will work out for you, as long as you focus on the present and just do the next thing.

Philip

If i could go back in time i would tell myself to study harder in school and begin the college search sooner. Goin gto a junior college is a good way to save money but can also stop you from transferring to a school of your choice and having all the credits transfer. The most important thing I would tell myself is to pick a school that is right for you. Do not let money be the ultimatum and allow yourself to have the college experience.

After going back into time, the advice I would give my senior self would be to be aware of all my potential growth. This meaning, to be open-minded to all the college advice being given to me and to push myself in a difficult major I feel I can succeed in. I would tell myself how important it is for me to see all the pros and cons in a school and to make a list before making a decision. I would say how it is not only important to be able to have fun in college but to see myself in 10 years and really think about succeeding in a major with helpful benefits for my future life. I would say to take everything into consideration and really put myself to the test, a test in pushing myself for high goals for my future. I would also just remind myself to never be satisfied with the average, but that I have the mentality to become successful and to over achieve everything that I do, because it will always benefit me in the long run and to ignore all the walls that ever stop me from being the best.

Robert

I would definatley tell myself that I should have done a lot better in High School by trying harder and trying to get the highest possible grades. College is very diffirent than High School, you don't have the teachers constantly reminding you about a deadline for a major project, or that a test is coming up. In college you recieve a sylabus that organizes the whole semester and has all the important days you need to know about for the entire sememster. You have to work hard to achieve your goals, and try to make your life succesful. There is never anything you can do to change the past, so it's your job to make the right decision. If you know that one day you want to be succesful, then it's time to take school seriously. School is very important in today's world, so strive for excellence so that one day you can achieve your major goals you have set for your life.

Debin

You've always did just enough to get by in school and basketball, well when you get to college that isn't going to work with anything that you pursue. Your going to have to start working hard to get things accomplished. You've always just went with whatever was happening, well in college you have to set some goals for yourself and stay focused enough to achieve them. Being in college isn't hard nor scary it's, it can be fun all you have to do is stay focused on the important things and work hard in whatever you do.

Janet

"Education is the only thing that no one can ever take from you". These exact words were said to me back in 2004 when I was a highschool Senior by my father. MY fther has always been the biggest influencs I have had in my life. Over these past several years I have learned so much out of life, strangers and people close to me. advice that I would give my self as a senior in 04 would be to live and learn as much as you can, and Appreciate everyday like your last. People come and go but positive people leave footprints in your life forever. ?Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, today is God's gift, that's why we call it the present.? I would tell my self that anything is possible. I have met some incredible people since I have graduated highschool and they have all shaped my life for the better. I have met people that have worked with Bill Clinton, and people who have been homeless, but whatever their past situations have been it has shaped them in the people they are today.