Huntsville, AL
Oakwood University

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Oakwood University

Kendrika

Oakwood University is the only Adventist HBCU. It is vegetarian, and most of the students that come here are very nice and respectful. The campus is very diverse, with even teachers coming from outside the states. Oakwood is a school that will help keep you focused, yet also allow you to relax and have fun.

College life is not just like high school life, college is like an organic chemistry final two minutes after the review. So the characteristics and habits that you developed in high school will be what helps or hurts you in college. So if I were to have the oppurtunity to to go back in time to my senior year I would advise myself not to procrastinate, expect pop quizzes, and always remember where I am going. In college procrastination is like a huge wall that if you don't start climbing in the beginning you may be the last one there, so I would change my tendency of waiting to the last minute to do certain things. Pop quizzes become a lifestyle in college as opposed to high school, so I would tell myself to always stay current in my studies. In college there are guaranteed to be some grades that make you feel like your major is too hard, so I would remind myself of where I am headed. All in all I would tell myself that college is not for the weak or easily persuaded, but for the strong and strongwilled.

If you are not able to transition from meat (even though you are allowed to have meet, they are just not allowed to serve it), if you have a problem with any rules, and if you are the type of person who gives up easily.

Marcelus

Making my decision was difficult, but there were a few factors that lead me to come to Oakwood. One of the biggest things that was special about Oakwood was they allowed me to come with my low GPA. The other is reason is for myself. Oakwood is able to give me a proper educatin while helping me to grow spiritually.

I wish I had known about the curfew when applying to school. I also wish I had known about how it is impossible to get food after 10 pm. Another thing I wish I had known about was the fines I can recieve. For example being fined for being late to curfew. I wish I was aware of these things before I came here.

Camille

My school is a family legacy. There is no other African-American HBCU in the Seventh-Day Adventist Church. Many families in my faith expect their children to attend Oakwood and to have the same experience that they have had.

The coming transition that is coming in your life seems gargantuian. There are several aspects to college that are not only mysterious to you but also terrifying. Do not worry becuase your roomate will be amazing and clean! The most useful pieces of advice that I can give you about the future is to work incredibly hard but with the least amount of stress possible. I know you. Somewhere along the line you have misunderstood what hard work looks like. Stress and chronic worry will leave you drained. Learn now how to enjoy the work that you will do. In the years to come there will be enough stress and unexpected tragedy to worry about. This is uncontrollable. But understand that you are much stronger than you think. Your future will be less complicated when you begin to trust the path that you have been put on. Finally, the most important lesson I can teach you is that success is so much sweeter when you accept that it is not going to be given to you. Entitlement will discount any type of success you achieve. Life more fulfilling now that you accept that all worth having must be worked for.

There is a deep need for innovation. When new ideas a re presented to faculty, they are not very well recieved and often critized. They have a very regimented and old-fashioned way of doing things. Therefore, any type of new idea is disqualified.

Nephthali

No I wouldnt because life is all about making mistakes and the mistakes that I have learned has strethenged me

The worst thing about my school is the lack of career job offers

Jeffry

If I could go back in time and talk to myself as a high school senior, I would tell myself to spend more time studying for tests and doing homework. In addition, I would tell myself that I should not wait to do an assignment one day before it is due. Homework should be done at least two to three days before its due date so that I have the time to go over it and fix any mistakes and so that I can receive feedback from my peers and tutors. Finally, I would tell myself that I should devote some time to spend with God and do the things that I love doing and spending time with family.

The thing that I consider the worst about my school is the lack of accommodations for students with disabilities. The school has a difficult time providing materials in alternate format for students with exceptionalities. Furthermore, a lot of the buildings do not have ramps and elevators for those who use wheelchairs and Braille numbers on the signs of classrooms and offices.

The type of person that should attend this school must be someone who is motivated to learn new things, serve God and demonstrate hard work.

Lesly

my school is really focused on making a impression on new students.

my school is really focused on making a impression on new students.

my classmates are very studious people.

I would really consider my undergraduate career to be a huge life changing learning curve. If I could go back in time and give myself advice i would of told myself to be serious and take high school very serious.The only way to improve your life is to improve yourself. I think that once you begin this journey everything else in your life will seem to balance. There are many steps I had to take on this journey of self-discovery. I needed to define and understand my values and why they are important to me. Then I started to think about my immediate and long-term future and started to set some personal goals. I realized that I was waiting for my future to just happen. My life in retrospect has had many changes and twists; it is in a constant state of development. The process of getting ready to write this essay was very challenging. It really forced me to focus on my life and how it has changed as I have matured. Setting goals has forced me to take a look at my values. I would also tell my self to stay focused on the goals.

Mariah

The singing(our choirs: Aeolians and Dynamic Praise)

The singing(our choirs: Aeolians and Dynamic Praise)

I would tell myself to follow your heart and do what you love. Do not let other people tell you how your life should go. Take it easy! College is not the end of the world or your fun. Be yourself and take everything a day at a time. Everything will work out as long as you remain positive and focused on your goals.

The diversity of the black people here. Although we are all the same color, we come from different places of the world.

Candace

My school has a strong familial environment. From the moment I arrived on campus, I felt as though I would be a part of a supportive community of people who really care about each other. From personal experiences, I have found that to be true. I went through a traumatic car accident last semester, and the school president came to the hospital to visit and pray with me. How many other college presidents would do that?

Hi Candace! Just a few more steps, and you'll be out of this place. But this was only a small introduction to what life we'll really be like. High school was the easiest part. You'll have to completely change your mindset once you're all settled into that dorm room, starting a brand new life without mommy and daddy. That 3.6 won't come as easy as it used to; you're gonna have to be dedicated. Go out and have fun, make new friends, and of course make wonderful memories. But at the end of day, you're gonna need to heavily prioritize in order to be successful. Take a Saturday night in just to do some extra studying! I know that doesn't sound fun at all, but you will SURELY thank me in the long run once those scholarships and awards for a high GPA start rolling in. Think of your academic life the way an athlete would his sport. You're in it to win it; all or nothing girl. You can be the best if you put in the work and train. Work hard, and enjoy. It WILL pay off.

Seeing that Oakwood University is a Seventh-Day Adventist HBCU, we do not have cultural diversity. Almost everyone is the same race and religion. Although you always have someone to relate with, I don't typically experience a lot of different types of different people.

Camilla

Oakwood University is Christ-centered and career-focused.

Oakwood University is Christ-centered and career-focused.

My classmates are very critical thinkers.

If I could go back in time, I would tell myself to relax and focus on doing what you love. People are going to tell you about "practical careers" and the "best paying jobs", but what they forget is: The best paying job is one that pays in happiness.

Oakwood University administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.