Huntsville, AL
Oakwood University

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Oakwood University

Jeffry

If I could go back in time and talk to myself as a high school senior, I would tell myself to spend more time studying for tests and doing homework. In addition, I would tell myself that I should not wait to do an assignment one day before it is due. Homework should be done at least two to three days before its due date so that I have the time to go over it and fix any mistakes and so that I can receive feedback from my peers and tutors. Finally, I would tell myself that I should devote some time to spend with God and do the things that I love doing and spending time with family.

The thing that I consider the worst about my school is the lack of accommodations for students with disabilities. The school has a difficult time providing materials in alternate format for students with exceptionalities. Furthermore, a lot of the buildings do not have ramps and elevators for those who use wheelchairs and Braille numbers on the signs of classrooms and offices.

The type of person that should attend this school must be someone who is motivated to learn new things, serve God and demonstrate hard work.

Lesly

my school is really focused on making a impression on new students.

my school is really focused on making a impression on new students.

my classmates are very studious people.

I would really consider my undergraduate career to be a huge life changing learning curve. If I could go back in time and give myself advice i would of told myself to be serious and take high school very serious.The only way to improve your life is to improve yourself. I think that once you begin this journey everything else in your life will seem to balance. There are many steps I had to take on this journey of self-discovery. I needed to define and understand my values and why they are important to me. Then I started to think about my immediate and long-term future and started to set some personal goals. I realized that I was waiting for my future to just happen. My life in retrospect has had many changes and twists; it is in a constant state of development. The process of getting ready to write this essay was very challenging. It really forced me to focus on my life and how it has changed as I have matured. Setting goals has forced me to take a look at my values. I would also tell my self to stay focused on the goals.

Mariah

The singing(our choirs: Aeolians and Dynamic Praise)

The singing(our choirs: Aeolians and Dynamic Praise)

I would tell myself to follow your heart and do what you love. Do not let other people tell you how your life should go. Take it easy! College is not the end of the world or your fun. Be yourself and take everything a day at a time. Everything will work out as long as you remain positive and focused on your goals.

The diversity of the black people here. Although we are all the same color, we come from different places of the world.

Candace

My school has a strong familial environment. From the moment I arrived on campus, I felt as though I would be a part of a supportive community of people who really care about each other. From personal experiences, I have found that to be true. I went through a traumatic car accident last semester, and the school president came to the hospital to visit and pray with me. How many other college presidents would do that?

Hi Candace! Just a few more steps, and you'll be out of this place. But this was only a small introduction to what life we'll really be like. High school was the easiest part. You'll have to completely change your mindset once you're all settled into that dorm room, starting a brand new life without mommy and daddy. That 3.6 won't come as easy as it used to; you're gonna have to be dedicated. Go out and have fun, make new friends, and of course make wonderful memories. But at the end of day, you're gonna need to heavily prioritize in order to be successful. Take a Saturday night in just to do some extra studying! I know that doesn't sound fun at all, but you will SURELY thank me in the long run once those scholarships and awards for a high GPA start rolling in. Think of your academic life the way an athlete would his sport. You're in it to win it; all or nothing girl. You can be the best if you put in the work and train. Work hard, and enjoy. It WILL pay off.

Seeing that Oakwood University is a Seventh-Day Adventist HBCU, we do not have cultural diversity. Almost everyone is the same race and religion. Although you always have someone to relate with, I don't typically experience a lot of different types of different people.

Camilla

Oakwood University is Christ-centered and career-focused.

Oakwood University is Christ-centered and career-focused.

My classmates are very critical thinkers.

If I could go back in time, I would tell myself to relax and focus on doing what you love. People are going to tell you about "practical careers" and the "best paying jobs", but what they forget is: The best paying job is one that pays in happiness.

rose

my school is christian based, promotes higher learning and encourages friendships, in which most last forever

i believe my school is best know for the focus it puts on God, second for the learning you get by being in much smaller class rooms size then most unversities

Dear Rose, Rose Rose, Rose my dear self, sweet heart make sure when you get to college you put your school work before you social life. It is wise to make sure you study at least two hours a day for each class that you are taking. Pick your friends carefully that have a bigger impact on your life then you may realize. Remember to always take time to smell the Roses, if you spend your every moment in a book, you just might miss out of the beauty life has to offer. Make sure you are nice, and kind to all you encounter you never know if that person could help you greatly down the line. Lastly put God first and He will fight all your battles for you, and smile against all odds, life will just keep getting better and better.

Princess

If I could go back in time and talk to myself as a high school senior I would advise myself to take the next step in life seriously. I would tell myself that the fun comes after the hard work. I would admonish myself to attend all my classes on time and do all of my assingments and give 100%. I would tell myself to balance my work load and my fun, but to prioritize. I would remind myself that if I work hard after high school, I can play later. I would help myself understand that anything in life worth having takes hard work a deligence and would mentally prepare myself for the journey of completing my education. There comes great responsibility with college, but there is also a great reward once completed. I would encourage myself to ask for help if needed to guarantee my success. I would make sure that I knew the transition from high school to college is not an easy one, but once it is made it is achiveable. Ultimately I would tell myself that I can do whatever I put my mind to and that includes completing my degree.

The best thing about my school is the long lasting frienships and business relationships that are made at Oakwood. This University does not just provide a college experience, it is more like a family experience. The relationships formed at this University follow you for life and are priceless.

I brag most about the musical talent at Oakwood. The singing is amazing and powerful. You will find pure, raw talent at Oakwood University unlike any other Univeristy.

Thierry

I would tell my high school self to work harder and get a higher GPA. I would have also told my younger self to get more organized and to strive for a closer relationship with his Lord and saviour. I would tell him that the girls are not going anywhere that it's best that he focuses on his school work. I would also tell him to not procrastinate and to be more studious.

I wish I had known about the availability of scholarship programs.

I tell them how much the school fosters my spirituality. The school often holds worship and church services that help me keep a closer relationship with Jesus.

Jayde

Oakwood University is a private and historically black institution whose goal is to provide its students with education not only in their field of study but also in their relationships with Christ.

After years of experimentation, my time machine is finally complete. I check the fuel gauge, pull some levers and press some buttons and I'm off. I've reached my destination. It is the summer of 2012 and just as I suspected, my 16 year old self is nowhere to be found and neither is the floor of her room. Pulling out a sheet of paper, I begin to write a list for my younger counterpart. It reads: 1. Keep taking that ACT ASAP and don't settle for that 26. You can do so much better. 2. Apply for scholarships now! It is NEVER too early to get free money. 3. Please please please do not forget to sign up for the PSAT and become a National Merit Scholar! 4. Two words: time management. Do not stress yourself out because you are a compulsive procrastinator. 5. Have fun! I toss the note on the floor of my bedroom so as to not disrupt the space-time continuum too much. One final glance around the room and I journey back to my own time hoping that I will clean my room soon. But I know that won't happen.

Oakwood University is the home of an outstanding Biology program and a world-renowned choir.

Jazzmin

In the distance it looked normal but as I got closer it started looking stranger. As i reached my hand up to peak in the glass windows it disappeared and I was pulled into this spinning vortex. When I awoke, I was in a yellow and pink flowery bedroom. It was my childhood room for years ago. I heard a voice say, "I just don't know what to do, it's college!" I had been to college and I should probably help this poor soul, so I turned in the direction of the voice and saw...ME! Wow! I was so young and naive. I spoke up, "Um hi, I couldn't help but over hear your statement about fear of college. Could I suggest a few things?" "Of course! I need all the help I can get!" little me said. "Alright well frst take only what your absolutely certain you'll need. Pack your stuff in plastic boxes and suitcases and bring a small bag for trips. Be friendly and smile, participate in study groups, don't take on too many activities, and most importantly don't let your past determine your future. You can start brand new."

I believe the kind of person that should attend this school is someone who is interested in getting a good education, making friends for life, finding a spouse, who wants to make big steps for their future career goals, and someone who wants to be spiritually fed.

Oakwood University administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.