Huntsville, AL
Oakwood University

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Oakwood University

Jewel

My school is a place where you can enter to learn and depart to serve!

My school is a place where you can enter to learn and depart to serve!

If I could go back in time I would tell myself to make sure that I develop great study habits sooner than later. If I had a better study method I would have been able to successfully complete any class. I would also tell myself to do as many volunteer opportunities that become available. It is very important to have alot of research experience and things of that caliber under your belt. These are the types of things that people look at when they are trying to hire you or even give you a scholarship.

I wish that I had known to fill out more scholarships before I came to school. I would have made a part time job out of submitting scholarships. School is very expensive and that is the one thing that I regret not doing. I also wish that I developed better study habits in highschool so that I could develop them better in college.

Allyssa

Genuises who glorify God!

Genuises who glorify God!

If I could speak with my high school self I would say..pray! Pray, pray, pray! Ask the Lord to lead tou where it is HE wants you to be. While advice from others can is valuable do not be persuaded into something you're not 100% sure about. Being bombarded with too many opinions can be stressful. Visit every single school you apply to. Speak with admissions, financial aid, and an advisor at each one. Try to sit in on a class and picture yourself there. Explore the town and get a real sense of what it's like living there. Begin shawdowing so you have a real idea of what you want to major in and ultimately have a career in. Consistantly look for scholarships! Complete you FASFA ASAP! Don't wait until the last minute to get anything done for school. Create a budget, begin getting yourself organized, and have fun now, while you're young and school is free!

It is the one of the few Christian HBCUs. It has created some of the most succesful individuals out. They have incredible STEM programs! Every single instructor you have will not only help you academically, but spiritually as well. They promote a healthy lifestyle...meaning no freshman fifteen! The university is so rich in history! It's a wonderful place to be!

natalie

Hey girl, I know what you are going through is tough right now and you wish that you didn't exist. I know what has been on your mind. What good would it be if it were all over? What would you have proven in life? You have a goal to reach. Since you were young you were always talking about making a difference in life, doing something that no one else will do. What makes you think that being just like everyone else, dressing in the latest fashion, having the latest electronics or gorgeous body, most popular, will fill a void that is already full? What you value most in life is God, your parents, respect, dignity, purity, abstinence, perseverance, wisdom. These are the things that you must worry about. These are the qualities that will get you where you need to be, where you want to go and who you will become in the near future. Trust me, it may be read easier than it looks but it works, stay true to who you are and don't let anyone define you. Set your aims high, and whatever it is that you are searching for will find you.

The best thing I consider about my school is the friends. They are some of the best people you will ever meet in life. In highschool, It's different, you see yourself as the oddball, teens see you as you have no taste for fashion, when in reality you have no money to get that Prada. In this college you have friends who now understand what it is not to have the best things in life and that truly you were poor and they are experiencing having to go through what you've been through all your life until now.

The kind of person that should attend this school, is one who is spiritual, mentally, physically strong. A person who knows what they want in life and is not deviated by small matters in life. This school is head strong and it challenges you to become the highest achiever you could possibly put yourself to be. This is also a school for the broken hearted, a person who needs a friend, who is going through a depressive state because in a school like this surrounded by friends who make you smile will bring peace amidst the storm.

Princeton

They are very interesting. Most of my classmates have a very diverse background so it makes it fun to learn about them .

Curfew is the only thing about my school that I hate, but it also allows me to stay focus.

Audra

Stay focus and make mother proud! It may be hard but never give up! It is a time to have fun but there is definitely a time to get serious and take care of business. Procrastination is the enemy and stay very far away from it. Those are the exact words I would say to myself as a high school senior.

The worst thing about my school is the level temptation that surrounds Oakwood University. Oakwood University is a Christian school so it can sometimes be troublesome to "keep your eyes on the prize". To live a "Christ-like" life-style, maintain a heavy prayer life, and stabilize a structured social living that you can prosper from (friends for example) can be tough considering the world we live in now. That's the worst thing about my school but I'm grateful because it's making me a better person.

A person that doesn't take his/her future seriously. Those who don't want to grow as an individual shouldn't go to Oakwood University. My school main focus is to transform students through biblically-based education for service to God and humanity. Oakwood University is not just a business but it is solid foundation to where God's ordained people can prepare you for the calling God has for him/her.

Shawnee

If I was able to go back in time and talk to myself as a high school senior, I would tell myself to believe in my abilities. When I entered college, I oftentimes acted like I didn't want to be involved in school activities. I didn't want to try out for choir, was hesitant to join clubs, and didn't want to give the appearance that I was smart. I hesitated, because I didn't think that I was as talented or smart as other students. Fortunately, I got over my apprehension in my sophomore year of college and discovered that people thought that I was good enough. I ended up being the president of the pharmacy club, the soprano section leader of the Dynamic Praise Gospel Choir, and set the curve for some of my classes. If I was able to go back in time , I would tell myself that I am talented and smart. I have the ability to be as great as anyone else. If I did well in highschool, I can do well in college. A small fish that succeeded in a small pond can move to a big pond and succeed as well.

I brag most about the extracurricular activities at Oakwood University. My favorite activity was choir. I loved choir. I was actually the soprano section leader for Dynamic Praise Gospel choir. I loved that the friends I made in the choir were friends for life. Also, there are a variety of different clubs on campus. Whatever you want to find or are interested in, you will find and the people you meet in these clubs or through the activities in these clubs are friends for life.

christine

My school is a pinnacle on a hill an alight in a dark room that transcend a ray of light to a darek world and illuminate the very core of all who comes in contact ,with hope,joy,peace, longsuffering,genteleness,meekness,faith,temperance,gooodness.i am proud to be a part of such a noble and outstanding university that ,put pride aside and interact,with aothers making all feel blessed and at home.

I would encourage ,mentor ,motivate others to deem it a prevalige to be in school one and to ensure that they make the best of those golden years,because it only get firmer and more stringent as you climb the lader of excellence. Pair up in groups dont be afraid to ask question,dont get distracted easily use your time wisely and read read read because you will need it . If you dont understand a matertial go get the necessay help needed,be a team player and enjoy extracurricular activity and also mke youself friendly. learn new words and build up you vocabulary for you will need it. Dream bib dreams and set hight goal and work at achieve them because a chain is stronger than it weakest link. LIVe LOVE and Laugh school can be fun only you have to make it.

The spiritual aspect, we are alway drawn to beleive that there is a higher power than ourselves that exist . Therefore we tend to depend more on the sourse of our strength than our own and this takes away any form of fear and pressure that we are prone to experiecne. There is also the friendliness of both staff and student, it like living at home away from home. The emphasis that is also given on the vale of education and how we can be a light to our community in giving them the joy and oneness we experience daily too.

safiya

Out of the many talents and unique features Oakwood University possesses, music by far is the most recognizable one. From the up and coming Voices of Triumph to the nationally know Dynamic Praise to the internationally renowned Aeolians. Oakwood's music scene is mimicked, sought after and flocked too.

Oakwood University is the only Seventh Day Adventist HBCU in the country. Because of this, the school has a very different and interesting dynamic. Music is very important to the university as a whole and both students and staff hold "good music" in high esteem. The fashion on Oakwood's campus is unlike any other. Students take pride in their differences when it comes to clothing and often wear clothing representative of the 80's, 90's, urban and ethnic styles. Lastly, the spiritual environment maintained on campus in unparalleled. Oakwood unashamedly takes joy in its worship experience.

Dear Safiya, It will seem as if everyone around you knows what is best for you, but listen to their advice with a grain of salt. No one can predict or foresee your path. The obstacles you will encounter, the goals you will achieve, and the dreams you have, they are uniquely yours. From your academics to future career to your social life and personal relationships, the decisions ahead of you are yours alone to make. Discouragement and scrutiny alike will come from all sides and out of the mouths of those who you least expected. But keep your head up and use the mind God gave you! Remember how you slacked off freshman year? Not a good time. But remember when you caught yourself, kicked it up a few notches, and was moved to the honors track or when you stepped up to the plate of Yearbook copy editor and cranked out the best yearbook yet? Both fantastic decisions. Learn from this and do your best to make the right decisions. College is more challenging and so are the work and choices that come with it. But it's nothing you can't handle!

KC

Hey you, it's me! I know you're not liking school right now, especially math but you can do this. Not only can you do this you need to do this. It may be the last thing on your mind right now, compared to your current boyfriend (who will be irrelevant in about a year) your friends that you eventually no longer speak to and all of the petty things that high school comes with, but it'll pay off. See I know this because I am you. You're in college right now regretting just about everything you did wrong in high school. You should have turned that portfolio in to the geometry teacher, you wouldn't have had to take geometry another two times. You should have paid attention in chemistry and not dropped out of it. You should have given Latin a chance, because now you're wishing you did. Also, why didn't you go to prom? No sports? No clubs? Lets get into those before it's too late. You're definitely not happy with your decisions from then but it's okay now. We're getting things now, we know our priorities.

Dionne

Oakwood University is a Seventh-day Adventist university that is dedicated to each and every students success academically and spiritually.

I would tell myself to beware of the company I keep. The friends I knew previously don't necessarily have to carry over from Highschool into College. I would be more open to meeting new people and get involved in more extracurricular activities on campus.

Stay focused, there are alot of distractions on campus and off-campus. Whatever you are looking for at OU you will find it; good or bad. Also remember where you come from and don't lose yourself.

Oakwood University administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.