Huntsville, AL
Oakwood University

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Oakwood University

Eleanor

This is rather tricky to answer as I skipped high school and started college at age 13. But I do advise my friends that if they are going to take college credits make sure they will count towards any degree if you do not know what you want to major in. I would also stress that they should map out thier goals and how they plan to meet them while taking into account expenses. I just completed two years at the community college and am in a university now. Not only did I save greatly on tuition, the classes are smaller and students get more individulaized instruction. Lastly, I would recommend that they enjoy this experience and point in life as we prepare for our futures.

Chelsea

If I could go back in time and talk to myself as a high school senior, knowing what I do now about college life and making the transition I would say, "Wake up". Stop wasting time hanging out with friends and watching television when you know that you have a paper and homework due tomorrow. Manage your time wisely because it will be one of the most important things in your college career and if you paid attention to it now, it will save 'us' in college. Realize that going to sleep at 2AM in the morning is no longer acceptable, take care of the body God gave you so that you can instill good habits for your future, exercise more and eat healthier. There is no problem with joining clubs and being a leader, stop being afraid to lead because it will be vital to your future in college and beyond. Make time for a relationship with God, have devotion everyday and help others come to know Christ by your experience; it brings joy to the soul and will help you and others through life's daily stresses because God is in control. Study more, do more, and enjoy.

The worst thing about my school is that we get fined, especially our first year, for not wearing appropriate clothing according to university standards, wearing jewelry which is not permitted, and having to mandatorily attend three worships a week. I understand the premise for which these standards were put in place, but it is a burden to some students. I have come to accept these things and though they may not bother me consistently, sometimes I feel as though it's too much. Oakwood University should encourage and explain their standards to appeal to the students versus mandatory enforcement.

The kind of person that should attend this school is one who is ready for a rich educational, spiritual, and social experience. A student who will understand that time management is key to success and that God is in control of everything. The universities' main goal is for students to enter to learn and depart to serve, the student must be willing to use their knowledge for the good of others upon departure. This university is for a student who is ready to have good wholesome fun with other students and build friendships for life.

Dear Ashley,I know you are enjoying yourself as an upperclassman, but I wanted to give you a few tips that will help you along your journey into college. First, since you are working, budget and save your money. If you don’t tell your money where to go, you will look for where it went. Include a specific area for savings in each of your budgets. It will give you peace of mind to know that all of your necessities are taken care of, and that you still have funds for an emergency.Second, this is the perfect time to apply for scholarships. I am past your age now, and I can tell you that the scholarships for us “non-traditional students” are slim pickings. Use all of that hard work that you put into making good grades and serving the community to help you propel through college. Many scholarship donors seek individuals with your drive to award funds to.Lastly, stay focused! Keep your studies first, and fun things second. Keep pressing towards your goal, no matter how hard it may seem at the time. I can see greatness in you, and I know you can do it!

Daynia

Balance is key. Too much work and no play makes for a dissatisfied human being. Too much play and no work can also make one dissatisfied. It is so important to be able to have a perfect balance between the two. It's good for high school and will definitely help you in College as well. Prioritize. Boys will always be around, but special opportunities won't. Take full advantage of the time that you have. Don't let it go to waste. Be wise in your decision making. Believe it or not, one bad decision can impact you in a big way. Don't be hasty when it comes to making big decisions. It's okay to ask your parents for help. Remember, they love you and only want the best for you. Asking for help is not a sign of weakness, but strength because it demonstrates that you know you can't do it all. Most importantly, keep God first. This verse will save your life: "But seek ye first the Kingdom of God and all these things shall be added unto you." - Matthew 6:33

The best thing about my school is that one can not only receive quality education but one is in a Christ-centered environment and inevitable receives Jesus as well. It is the best of both worlds. There are pros and cons to every school but what is most important is how you view those things and allow them to affect you. I love and am proud of my school.

Although Oakwood is a historically black school it is not just meant for black students and has reached out and already has students of different races. If you're tall, this is the school for you. If you're short, this is the school for you. If you're black, this is the school for you. If you're white, this is the school for you. If you are seeking God, this is the school for you. If you're not seeking God, this is the school for you. Most likely, you'll find Him anyway. Oakwood is for everyone.

Reece

If i was to go back and talk to myself in high school, i would tell myself to manage time better. Working full-time and being a full- time student is difficult. Working full -ime leaves virtually no time for studying or preparing for classes. I would suggest to myself if i had to work to only work part-time and make sure to put school first regardless of what is expected of you in your day to day life. School is your future and you need to spend as much time preparing for your future if you want to succeed.

geordi

I would tell myself to pay attention in English class and be prepared for big writing projects. Be more outspoken and confident in your own opinion and personality. Photography make be a good hobby to look into.

My college's choir, the Aeolians, are a national 3 gold medal winning choir.

The cafeteria can be great in the beginning, but after awhile, having the same food every week with few variations can frustrate you.

Charles

So, you thought it was a bright idea to throw away those high school grad scholarships and enlist in the Marine Corps? Almost a good idea. Bum knee, bad back, and a howling void of debt threatening to consume the wife and I at the slightest chance makes me want to time hop and slap some sense into you. If I have any solid advice that you might be able to get through your thick skull, drop the 'I want to be a hard ass' attitude, and do the smart thing. Take the scholarship, go to college, and than consider enlisting in the Marines. You threw away what could have been a golden oppurtunity. A good solid college education, officer school, and you still would have been able to play soldier, stomping around the world looking cool. But, but, no one likes an officer that comes straight out of college, they're green and arrogant, and full of themselves. Were you like that though? No, if there's anything good I have to say about my past self (YOU), it's that we've always been a humble, common sense driven individual. You would have made a fine officer.

My advice to myself in high school would be not to take the work lightly and ask for help. Throughout my high school career, I took the work lightly. I didn't have to study by reading my book, all I had to do was use my teacher's in class notes to study and complete homework assignments. So I would definitely encourage my highschool self to get into the habit of reading material for further understanding. Because in college, especially as a Biology major, your professors won't give you everything you need to study. You, yourself will have to study and not only know the information but understand and comprehend it. Be able to relate it real life. Lastly, ask for help. I know that you were always scared to ask for help from teachers and even peers, but these people are here to help you. They wouldn't be teaching you if they didn't want to help you. In college professors will encourage you to ask for help,so don't be afraid and break that habit because professors are your best friends in college when you do not understand an assignment or fail a test.

The worse thing about my school would be financial aid. Although every student receives financial aid, the help doesn't account for half of tuition. It's difficult paying off the semester and having to clear out items out of our dorm room really puts a lot of stress on us as students. I wish that my school offered better financial aid and kept track of the aid as well. I have received bills where the amount to be paid is incorrect because financial aid has made a mistake.

I tell my friends that my school is very small and intimate. The atmosphere results in everyone on campus knowing about others or having some idea of who they are. I enjoy my school not only because it is small, but because it also gives me the opportunity to get to know my professors better. It's is difficult for professors to learn names rather than faces. Because of my school size, the classes are a lot smaller and the professors know their students by name and better.

Belinda

I would tell myself that college is nothing like high school. I cannot get away with turning in late assignments, and that I have to become organized. I would say that discipline plays a key role in going to college because I would have no one to actually make me go to class or tell me to do my work. I would tell myself to learn to stay focus on my school work and not to be lazy. I would also tell myself remember my future goals and plans and as I achieve my goals to make new ones throughout my college experience. I would tell myself to be careful who I would consider a friend, and to make sure my friends have the same outlook and ideas as I do about making good grades and always working towards goals. I would also tell myself that it’s okay to step out of my comfort zone. I would tell myself to have fun but be responsible.

people that are not serious about education or spritual growth

Oakwood University administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.