Huntsville, AL
Oakwood University

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Oakwood University

Shawnee

If I was able to go back in time and talk to myself as a high school senior, I would tell myself to believe in my abilities. When I entered college, I oftentimes acted like I didn't want to be involved in school activities. I didn't want to try out for choir, was hesitant to join clubs, and didn't want to give the appearance that I was smart. I hesitated, because I didn't think that I was as talented or smart as other students. Fortunately, I got over my apprehension in my sophomore year of college and discovered that people thought that I was good enough. I ended up being the president of the pharmacy club, the soprano section leader of the Dynamic Praise Gospel Choir, and set the curve for some of my classes. If I was able to go back in time , I would tell myself that I am talented and smart. I have the ability to be as great as anyone else. If I did well in highschool, I can do well in college. A small fish that succeeded in a small pond can move to a big pond and succeed as well.

I brag most about the extracurricular activities at Oakwood University. My favorite activity was choir. I loved choir. I was actually the soprano section leader for Dynamic Praise Gospel choir. I loved that the friends I made in the choir were friends for life. Also, there are a variety of different clubs on campus. Whatever you want to find or are interested in, you will find and the people you meet in these clubs or through the activities in these clubs are friends for life.

christine

My school is a pinnacle on a hill an alight in a dark room that transcend a ray of light to a darek world and illuminate the very core of all who comes in contact ,with hope,joy,peace, longsuffering,genteleness,meekness,faith,temperance,gooodness.i am proud to be a part of such a noble and outstanding university that ,put pride aside and interact,with aothers making all feel blessed and at home.

I would encourage ,mentor ,motivate others to deem it a prevalige to be in school one and to ensure that they make the best of those golden years,because it only get firmer and more stringent as you climb the lader of excellence. Pair up in groups dont be afraid to ask question,dont get distracted easily use your time wisely and read read read because you will need it . If you dont understand a matertial go get the necessay help needed,be a team player and enjoy extracurricular activity and also mke youself friendly. learn new words and build up you vocabulary for you will need it. Dream bib dreams and set hight goal and work at achieve them because a chain is stronger than it weakest link. LIVe LOVE and Laugh school can be fun only you have to make it.

The spiritual aspect, we are alway drawn to beleive that there is a higher power than ourselves that exist . Therefore we tend to depend more on the sourse of our strength than our own and this takes away any form of fear and pressure that we are prone to experiecne. There is also the friendliness of both staff and student, it like living at home away from home. The emphasis that is also given on the vale of education and how we can be a light to our community in giving them the joy and oneness we experience daily too.

safiya

Out of the many talents and unique features Oakwood University possesses, music by far is the most recognizable one. From the up and coming Voices of Triumph to the nationally know Dynamic Praise to the internationally renowned Aeolians. Oakwood's music scene is mimicked, sought after and flocked too.

Oakwood University is the only Seventh Day Adventist HBCU in the country. Because of this, the school has a very different and interesting dynamic. Music is very important to the university as a whole and both students and staff hold "good music" in high esteem. The fashion on Oakwood's campus is unlike any other. Students take pride in their differences when it comes to clothing and often wear clothing representative of the 80's, 90's, urban and ethnic styles. Lastly, the spiritual environment maintained on campus in unparalleled. Oakwood unashamedly takes joy in its worship experience.

Dear Safiya, It will seem as if everyone around you knows what is best for you, but listen to their advice with a grain of salt. No one can predict or foresee your path. The obstacles you will encounter, the goals you will achieve, and the dreams you have, they are uniquely yours. From your academics to future career to your social life and personal relationships, the decisions ahead of you are yours alone to make. Discouragement and scrutiny alike will come from all sides and out of the mouths of those who you least expected. But keep your head up and use the mind God gave you! Remember how you slacked off freshman year? Not a good time. But remember when you caught yourself, kicked it up a few notches, and was moved to the honors track or when you stepped up to the plate of Yearbook copy editor and cranked out the best yearbook yet? Both fantastic decisions. Learn from this and do your best to make the right decisions. College is more challenging and so are the work and choices that come with it. But it's nothing you can't handle!

KC

Hey you, it's me! I know you're not liking school right now, especially math but you can do this. Not only can you do this you need to do this. It may be the last thing on your mind right now, compared to your current boyfriend (who will be irrelevant in about a year) your friends that you eventually no longer speak to and all of the petty things that high school comes with, but it'll pay off. See I know this because I am you. You're in college right now regretting just about everything you did wrong in high school. You should have turned that portfolio in to the geometry teacher, you wouldn't have had to take geometry another two times. You should have paid attention in chemistry and not dropped out of it. You should have given Latin a chance, because now you're wishing you did. Also, why didn't you go to prom? No sports? No clubs? Lets get into those before it's too late. You're definitely not happy with your decisions from then but it's okay now. We're getting things now, we know our priorities.

Dionne

Oakwood University is a Seventh-day Adventist university that is dedicated to each and every students success academically and spiritually.

I would tell myself to beware of the company I keep. The friends I knew previously don't necessarily have to carry over from Highschool into College. I would be more open to meeting new people and get involved in more extracurricular activities on campus.

Stay focused, there are alot of distractions on campus and off-campus. Whatever you are looking for at OU you will find it; good or bad. Also remember where you come from and don't lose yourself.

Eleanor

This is rather tricky to answer as I skipped high school and started college at age 13. But I do advise my friends that if they are going to take college credits make sure they will count towards any degree if you do not know what you want to major in. I would also stress that they should map out thier goals and how they plan to meet them while taking into account expenses. I just completed two years at the community college and am in a university now. Not only did I save greatly on tuition, the classes are smaller and students get more individulaized instruction. Lastly, I would recommend that they enjoy this experience and point in life as we prepare for our futures.

Chelsea

If I could go back in time and talk to myself as a high school senior, knowing what I do now about college life and making the transition I would say, "Wake up". Stop wasting time hanging out with friends and watching television when you know that you have a paper and homework due tomorrow. Manage your time wisely because it will be one of the most important things in your college career and if you paid attention to it now, it will save 'us' in college. Realize that going to sleep at 2AM in the morning is no longer acceptable, take care of the body God gave you so that you can instill good habits for your future, exercise more and eat healthier. There is no problem with joining clubs and being a leader, stop being afraid to lead because it will be vital to your future in college and beyond. Make time for a relationship with God, have devotion everyday and help others come to know Christ by your experience; it brings joy to the soul and will help you and others through life's daily stresses because God is in control. Study more, do more, and enjoy.

The worst thing about my school is that we get fined, especially our first year, for not wearing appropriate clothing according to university standards, wearing jewelry which is not permitted, and having to mandatorily attend three worships a week. I understand the premise for which these standards were put in place, but it is a burden to some students. I have come to accept these things and though they may not bother me consistently, sometimes I feel as though it's too much. Oakwood University should encourage and explain their standards to appeal to the students versus mandatory enforcement.

The kind of person that should attend this school is one who is ready for a rich educational, spiritual, and social experience. A student who will understand that time management is key to success and that God is in control of everything. The universities' main goal is for students to enter to learn and depart to serve, the student must be willing to use their knowledge for the good of others upon departure. This university is for a student who is ready to have good wholesome fun with other students and build friendships for life.

Dear Ashley,I know you are enjoying yourself as an upperclassman, but I wanted to give you a few tips that will help you along your journey into college. First, since you are working, budget and save your money. If you don’t tell your money where to go, you will look for where it went. Include a specific area for savings in each of your budgets. It will give you peace of mind to know that all of your necessities are taken care of, and that you still have funds for an emergency.Second, this is the perfect time to apply for scholarships. I am past your age now, and I can tell you that the scholarships for us “non-traditional students” are slim pickings. Use all of that hard work that you put into making good grades and serving the community to help you propel through college. Many scholarship donors seek individuals with your drive to award funds to.Lastly, stay focused! Keep your studies first, and fun things second. Keep pressing towards your goal, no matter how hard it may seem at the time. I can see greatness in you, and I know you can do it!

Daynia

Balance is key. Too much work and no play makes for a dissatisfied human being. Too much play and no work can also make one dissatisfied. It is so important to be able to have a perfect balance between the two. It's good for high school and will definitely help you in College as well. Prioritize. Boys will always be around, but special opportunities won't. Take full advantage of the time that you have. Don't let it go to waste. Be wise in your decision making. Believe it or not, one bad decision can impact you in a big way. Don't be hasty when it comes to making big decisions. It's okay to ask your parents for help. Remember, they love you and only want the best for you. Asking for help is not a sign of weakness, but strength because it demonstrates that you know you can't do it all. Most importantly, keep God first. This verse will save your life: "But seek ye first the Kingdom of God and all these things shall be added unto you." - Matthew 6:33

The best thing about my school is that one can not only receive quality education but one is in a Christ-centered environment and inevitable receives Jesus as well. It is the best of both worlds. There are pros and cons to every school but what is most important is how you view those things and allow them to affect you. I love and am proud of my school.

Although Oakwood is a historically black school it is not just meant for black students and has reached out and already has students of different races. If you're tall, this is the school for you. If you're short, this is the school for you. If you're black, this is the school for you. If you're white, this is the school for you. If you are seeking God, this is the school for you. If you're not seeking God, this is the school for you. Most likely, you'll find Him anyway. Oakwood is for everyone.

Reece

If i was to go back and talk to myself in high school, i would tell myself to manage time better. Working full-time and being a full- time student is difficult. Working full -ime leaves virtually no time for studying or preparing for classes. I would suggest to myself if i had to work to only work part-time and make sure to put school first regardless of what is expected of you in your day to day life. School is your future and you need to spend as much time preparing for your future if you want to succeed.

Oakwood University administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.