Oakwood University

« See more reviews of Oakwood University

Compared to other schools, what would make my school, Oakwood University unique is that it's a Seventh-day Adventist historically black university. Having no private Christian education prior to College and my parents having attended a Seventh-day Adventist institution in Kenya, we thought it would be best that I too attend a Seventh-day Adventist intitution. At Oakwood University, not only is a student's education important and taken seriously, but also their spirituality. You do not have to be African-American or black for you to be welcomed and accepted at Oakwood University; everyone is welcomed.

Oakwood University is the only Seventh Day Adventist HBCU in the country. Because of this, the school has a very different and interesting dynamic. Music is very important to the university as a whole and both students and staff hold "good music" in high esteem. The fashion on Oakwood's campus is unlike any other. Students take pride in their differences when it comes to clothing and often wear clothing representative of the 80's, 90's, urban and ethnic styles. Lastly, the spiritual environment maintained on campus in unparalleled. Oakwood unashamedly takes joy in its worship experience.

Again, we accept anybody. The professors and staff care about a lot more here as opposed to anonther college or university. The classes are smaller and therefore it helps the professors engage in the class more and help you gain a better understanding about the material being taught. Help is available more often than not. We are also religion based, Seventh-day Adventist. We also try to help others start, keep or renew their relationship with Christ. The spiritual aspect is strong here.

The school is very close knit and feels like a everyone knows everyone. The school is also a Seventh Day Adnentist campus that makes an effort to keep students focused on Christ. In addition to that the school is an historically black college and university and this causes alot of the students who attend to have rather similar backgrounds and lifestyles. Even on your first day there you may feel as though you've known a stranger your entire life.

My school has a strong familial environment. From the moment I arrived on campus, I felt as though I would be a part of a supportive community of people who really care about each other. From personal experiences, I have found that to be true. I went through a traumatic car accident last semester, and the school president came to the hospital to visit and pray with me. How many other college presidents would do that?

The most unique thing about my school is being on a Christain campus and having the opportunity to work w/ students and faculity that share the same beliefs. What is also interesting is our school motto "Enter to Learn... Depart to Serve"... it means so much to me and to so many other students... b/c whatever your area of concentration is we all have been instilled with a passion to serve others.

My school caters to me as an individual. Here I am allowed to be who I am and I am loved and accepted. Even though my school has a lot of other students to worry about I am thought of and considered. My school does what it can to help me succeed even if it means seeking professional help. Financial aid is accesible and open to a phone call or a visit

I do attend a Christian school and what I believe is unique compared to other schools is we are required to attend three worships weekly. Also, the spiritual atmosphere and the school spirit is also unique. My school is very small so the students have a better opportunity of builing close relationships with both the teachers and the student body.

My school is a very religious school. While other school advocate partying and drinking, my school advocates studying and having fun in a way that is pleasing to God. The spiritual atmosphere at Oakwood University is out of this world, which is why if given the opportunity to choose another school, I would not take it.

Making my decision was difficult, but there were a few factors that lead me to come to Oakwood. One of the biggest things that was special about Oakwood was they allowed me to come with my low GPA. The other is reason is for myself. Oakwood is able to give me a proper educatin while helping me to grow spiritually.