Oakwood University Top Questions

Jenelle

My school caters to me as an individual. Here I am allowed to be who I am and I am loved and accepted. Even though my school has a lot of other students to worry about I am thought of and considered. My school does what it can to help me succeed even if it means seeking professional help. Financial aid is accesible and open to a phone call or a visit

Genokristo

The school is very close knit and feels like a everyone knows everyone. The school is also a Seventh Day Adnentist campus that makes an effort to keep students focused on Christ. In addition to that the school is an historically black college and university and this causes alot of the students who attend to have rather similar backgrounds and lifestyles. Even on your first day there you may feel as though you've known a stranger your entire life.

Kendrika

Oakwood University is the only Adventist HBCU. It is vegetarian, and most of the students that come here are very nice and respectful. The campus is very diverse, with even teachers coming from outside the states. Oakwood is a school that will help keep you focused, yet also allow you to relax and have fun.

Marcelus

Making my decision was difficult, but there were a few factors that lead me to come to Oakwood. One of the biggest things that was special about Oakwood was they allowed me to come with my low GPA. The other is reason is for myself. Oakwood is able to give me a proper educatin while helping me to grow spiritually.

Camille

My school is a family legacy. There is no other African-American HBCU in the Seventh-Day Adventist Church. Many families in my faith expect their children to attend Oakwood and to have the same experience that they have had.

Candace

My school has a strong familial environment. From the moment I arrived on campus, I felt as though I would be a part of a supportive community of people who really care about each other. From personal experiences, I have found that to be true. I went through a traumatic car accident last semester, and the school president came to the hospital to visit and pray with me. How many other college presidents would do that?

safiya

Oakwood University is the only Seventh Day Adventist HBCU in the country. Because of this, the school has a very different and interesting dynamic. Music is very important to the university as a whole and both students and staff hold "good music" in high esteem. The fashion on Oakwood's campus is unlike any other. Students take pride in their differences when it comes to clothing and often wear clothing representative of the 80's, 90's, urban and ethnic styles. Lastly, the spiritual environment maintained on campus in unparalleled. Oakwood unashamedly takes joy in its worship experience.

Ariel

I do attend a Christian school and what I believe is unique compared to other schools is we are required to attend three worships weekly. Also, the spiritual atmosphere and the school spirit is also unique. My school is very small so the students have a better opportunity of builing close relationships with both the teachers and the student body.

There are many things unique about my school but the best would have to be the size of the school. We are a small scholl so everyone knows everyone. The school does not feel like a normal school, it feels more like a family.

Arian

Oakwood has a sense of family. Somehow we always feel related....which at times feels weird, but still a nice feeling.

Fatricia

Wats unique about my school is that its a seventhday adventist school

Lucy

Compared to other schools, what would make my school, Oakwood University unique is that it's a Seventh-day Adventist historically black university. Having no private Christian education prior to College and my parents having attended a Seventh-day Adventist institution in Kenya, we thought it would be best that I too attend a Seventh-day Adventist intitution. At Oakwood University, not only is a student's education important and taken seriously, but also their spirituality. You do not have to be African-American or black for you to be welcomed and accepted at Oakwood University; everyone is welcomed.

Toson

We are a Seventh Day Adventist Institution. We are very friendly. The students are very active.

My school is a very religious school. While other school advocate partying and drinking, my school advocates studying and having fun in a way that is pleasing to God. The spiritual atmosphere at Oakwood University is out of this world, which is why if given the opportunity to choose another school, I would not take it.

I didn't consider any other schools!!

Hyacinth

The people on our campus are very friendly and the professors truly do care and do everything in their power to assist students.

Sidisse

he lifelong friends that you meet at the school while enjoying a christian education

Ruth

My school is unique in that many people continue to say it was blessed of God. My school was a slave plantation, long ago and now students are receiving an education, from some of the best teachers in the world, who are experts in their field.

ShaVon

It's an HBCU school.

The Oakwood Experience, meeting friendly people. The Christian atmopshere.

Oakwood University is unique from most other schools because it is an HBCU and affiliated with the Seventh-Day Adventist Church.

Kecha

Our spiritual connection.

Chya

The most unique thing about my school is being on a Christain campus and having the opportunity to work w/ students and faculity that share the same beliefs. What is also interesting is our school motto "Enter to Learn... Depart to Serve"... it means so much to me and to so many other students... b/c whatever your area of concentration is we all have been instilled with a passion to serve others.

Again, we accept anybody. The professors and staff care about a lot more here as opposed to anonther college or university. The classes are smaller and therefore it helps the professors engage in the class more and help you gain a better understanding about the material being taught. Help is available more often than not. We are also religion based, Seventh-day Adventist. We also try to help others start, keep or renew their relationship with Christ. The spiritual aspect is strong here.