Oakwood University

« See more reviews of Oakwood University

I would say the most frustrating thing about my school is by far the financial clearance process. If a student resides in the dorms, and is not cleared they have to move all their belongings out, and are homeless until they have financially cleared. I feel that a professed Church University should not leave their students in the freezing cold just because they cannot afford it. In some extreme cases students cannot even attend class, and education is very essential for success. The strugle, and the consequences of not being cleared is very frustrating.

I would appreciate it if all of my teachers could match my intensity, my desire to achieve. I'm excited with the thought of continuing my education and I honestly mean that, I was raised in a community where information about college, scholarships and grants were seldomly provided. Now that I'm aware that I have the ability to continue my education and work for a excellent career. I would say the only frustrating thing about school would be not having the ability to pay for the college tuition. Like many others thats my main concern but I'm confident.

Mandated worship is the most frustrating thing for a student. As a faith-based school we have required worship services.We are required to attend three worships per week and a mandatory chapel service every Tuesday. If students don't attend the three dorm worships then their request to leave on weekends would be denied. We need permission to stay off campus for the weekend. The mandatory chapel service on Tuesday is every week at 10 a.m. If students fail to make it to this service then a $25 dollar fine will be applied to their bill.

Though every school has their ups and downs, the most frustrating thing about this school is trying to become financially cleared for each semester. Since this is a private school, tuition is extremely high, but it is worth every penny. This is frustrating because everyone on this campus relates to one another as if they are family. When someone does not become cleared it's disappointing because we know that one of our close friends will not have the opportunity to experience the rest of the school year with us.

The most frustrating thing about my school is they see students struggling financially. They see clearly that students cannot afford to pay for school and although they have fininancial aid that they can give to students they do not. Students often have to take out loans for no reason. They want us to attend school but are not willing to give us the sufficient funds. They leave that huge burden on the students and their families to figure out what they are going to do in order for the student to get into school.

The faculty and staff do not seem to do as much as possible to be clear and direct with the information and advice necessary. There are not many people who are experts in the field and provide advice or opportunities for experience in the field. The school focuses on a few select majors, and outside of those few, the others are not given heavy consideration with research, job opportunities, financial aid, etc.

The two most fustrating things i believe about my school is that the food could be a little better. You never really know what the campus cafe will serve and most of the time it isnt the best of tasting foods after a long day from classes. The next thing is the service and help from the finacial aid office is very mean and not nice. Asking for help will only send you in a circle around different offices.

The most frustating thing about my school is the heavy social restrictions. We have a strict curfew and we can't live off campus unless it's a special circumstance. Tuition is also another frustating thing about attending Oakwood University. Tuition is very exspensive.

In my opinion, the most frustrating thing about my school is our textbook situation. To my understanding, the teachers order less books than students taking the class. Therefore some students may fall behind due to the lack of resources they have.

Oakwood tends to have a lot of restrictions due to the religous beliefs, and it can be discouraging. The best way to keep from giving up is to keep your eyes on what's most important: the education.