Oakwood University Campus Life Reviews

Overall Review for Oakwood University

Rachelle

Oakwood University is a school where God is first and everything and although things may get rough just know that the reward is soon to come. It is also a school where you can learn about anything and will have support from everyone because we are not just students, teachers, and staff but family.

rashida

In my Opinion, Oakwood University is a good school when academics and arts come involved, but i believe that they would need a little improvement with interacting with the students, and once they have the students with them one hundred percent, Oakwood University could be one hundred percent.

Alton

Oakwood University is a diverse place of spirituality, fellowship, and hard work. It's a university that welcomes any person, no matter where they come from. Our school program is helpful and the people there are so caring and are willing to help you in any way possible. There are also a lot of extracurricular activities that everyone can enjoy like choirs, orchestras, and a plethora of unique clubs. I think that Oakwood University is a place that people will connect with and make memories out of. I've already had my share of memories and cant't wait to make many more.

Crystal Grace

Oakwood University is an HBCU but it's not just for African Americans. People of all races and ethnicities are welcome at Oakwood University. You are prepared for life after College and well trained for your career. Oakwood is not perfect whatever you are looking for in College you can find at Oakwood. It's smaller class sizes and professors make themselves available and go beyond office hours. There are extra-curricular activities many teams to join on campus not just athletics. If you want an education that is well-rounded full of memories and higher learning then Oakwood University is the place to be.

Jimmy

its a good school.

Brianna

Overall, I love Oakwood. I feel that being here has really helped me find myself. I have experienced growth in all areas--spiritual, mental, physical, and emotional. I like the health initiative that the university puts in place, and the family-oriented atmosphere it provides. There is also a major focus on spiritual growth, which I have benefited from exponentially. The faculty and students alike are praying for your success, and this is a good feeling knowing that people care. One thing I would like to see improve is the cafeteria food, and renovations on some of the buildings are needed. Overall it is a good school if you are looking for both academic and spiritual success.

Alton

Oakwood University is a diverse HBCU located in the most unique city in the state of Alabama, Huntsville. Oakwood provides a balanced college experience by prioritizing the uplifting of the mind, body and spirit of each and every student.

Natasha

I left years ago to pursue other things, but I have found that of all the places I have been Oakwood is the best at Arts and the pursuit of fine education. I just couldn't seem to find the environment and classes I needed. It's a private SDA institution. But I'm quite satisfied.

Robyn

I believe that Oakwood University is a campus that truly stands by their motto, "Enter to Learn, Depart to Serve". Meaning that while on campus it is our mission as the student body to have the mind set of putting in 100% effort to get the job done. Since the campus is a Christian, private school, it is the mission to leave college ready to share the good news about Jesus Christ. We share his good news by our works in the specific field we chose for ourselves. The people are kind and are thoughtful about every student. The experience is amazing, an experience, I believe you can't get anywhere else. I wouldn't choose any other school but Oakwood University.

Larell

I think Oakwood is a great place to meet lifelong friends. If you live on campus it is very strict because it is a religious school they enforce curfew and chapel. The financial aid gives up on you if your not an important asset to the school. There are not to many sports team and all the authorities are super strict.

I love Oakwood University! I am glad that I made the decision to attend the college. I love that Oakwood University is a historically black college. It makes me happy to be going to a christian university. I think its great that teachers pray with students at the beginning of class! I love the fact that the teachers and staff make an effort to know all student who are attending the school. My first semester of my freshman year I was able to get to know all my teachers. I love the opportunity they have for students to control and take charge of their healthy while in school. I am happy that I was able to have more African American friends. When I was growing up I didn't have a lot of African American friends because they didn't want to hang out with me. The African Americans at Oakwood University are very nice and are easy to become friends with. I love that the students demonstrate how to be a good student and be a true christian. I know I'm going to make life long friends at Oakwood University. Lastly, I love the weekends because every Saturday everyone comes to worship God. I am glad that I am attending a Seventh-day Adventist school. My overall opinion of Oakwood University is that it is an outstanding school.

Grayson

Overall, I have mixed opinions of this institution, but they tend toward the positive side. Oakwood fosters an environment that nurtures young Christians (especially Seventh-day Adventists) in their growth. There are plenty of opportunities to grow spiritually as well as academically. The main cons are: 1. Lack of diversity (The university is predominantly African American with a small Latino minority and few students of of other ethnicities.) 2. The administration is disorganized. I have had numerous accounting issues, and the shortcoming was on their part. On a positive note, every year there is some improvement taking place on the campus, especially pertaining to the health of the students. For instance, because of the healthy campus initiative that they are currently implementing, the dining has improved greatly.

Mia

Oakwood University is what you make it. I received a great education, I was able to meet great life-long friends, and it helped mold me into the individual that I am today. I am a much more independent, confident woman than I was before attending Oakwood. And I would not want to be an alumnus from any other school but Oakwood.

Destinie

Oakwood University is the type of school that gives you a choice. If you want a relationship with God there are outlets to do so, and if you want to party there are individuals who offer that as well. It is up to the person who attends Oakwood University for what they are trying to involve themselves in. Personally, without Oakwood University I would have gone down a wrong path and the school has helped me form a relationship with Christ and has pushed me to excel in my academics as well.

Alisha

I believe that Oakwood is honestly the school for me. It gives me that homey HBCU vibe that I've pretty much experienced my whole life. Also, the spiritual atmosphere is 100% real. If you've never felt God in your presence before, you're bound to feel Him here. Overall, it's pretty great.

Star

So far, while being a current freshman student at Oakwood University, I have really been enjoying myself. I can say that the college is really fun because the student government has new activities for us to do every Saturday night. Of course, it’s really easy to get distracted by your work because you have friends, activities, clubs, and many other things you want to be affiliated with and you may forget to do certain assignments. But I can say that, most of, the professors understand situations like those and will grant you amnesty. The clubs they have are really fun. I am currently in a club called Mkono-Nia which is a drama club that is solely based on spreading the message of Jesus Christ through examples of real life and fictional situations. Other clubs such as Nova- which is a club for people who have an interest in modeling, and the science clubs will definitely keep you busy and sometimes distracted. I must also say if you are going to Oakwood University and you are NOT a Christian it can be a little hard for you to adapt to the environment-since the school is solely based off of Christian values and beliefs. You many even at times find yourself uncomfortable too. Every week the students are required to go to, at least, three worships- on top of going to required chapels which are also three times a weeks and maintaining your work, classes, and study time. Oakwood University really isn’t a bad school. I’ve already made friends that I love and have a strong connection with. People at Oakwood care about me more than my own family does so once you go there you will become attached to the environment, but unfortunately, like every other school there will be disadvantages and maybe even things that will make you feel completely uncomfortable but once you find your comfort zone you’ll be just fine.

A'na

I have loved the university for most of my life. My attendance at the school hasn’t lessened the love but it made it more realistic. While it is a safe, healthy, and usually drug free environment; it would be naive of me to take precautions and think that people won’t act like the stereotypical college students.

LaParish

I really love here its been a place where know that though may stand out its not a big deal.

Mya

My overall opinion of Oakwood University is a good one. I love this school and I don't say that just because I go here but I say this because I loved this school before I could even walk. Oakwood is like any other college or university, with the exception that we are an Adventist school. I have experience God here like no other and it is all for the good and of the better for myself.

Edmund

Oakwood as awhole is a great institution, depending on what you're looking for. If you want a riveting SDA education deep rooted in African American pride its the place for you. If not you may not enjoy it as much. The jist is the food is abysmal there are a bit of rules but if you grew up adventist it feels like home with less rules

dominic

My overall opinion of Oakwood University is that I love being at this school. It has changed my life completely and I plan to stay here for the next four year to evolve my life for the better. So many wonderful fun loving people to be around who are always lending out a helping hand. The people meet while attending Oakwood University all have one thing in common and that is the belief in God who will truly motivate you to do better with your life in every aspect.

Nathalie

My overall opinion of Oakwood University is very welcoming and inspiring. I see this institution as a place where growth is not only academical, but also spiritual, and social. The university makes these accessible so that each student can develop in a wholistic learning environment.

Jamiella

OU has a great community. The alumnus are very involved with activities on campus. Students are offered a well rounded atmosphere to participate in. Many of the people that attend OU are coming from SDA Academies in the United States. It's almost like taking your family with you to school.

Britney

Oakwood University is a beautiful campus. From the faculty to the college students they're all great people. I am grateful to be able to go there. It may be very expensive but it's worth going. I am hoping to raise money so I will be able to stay at the University!

I think Oakwood is a pretty good school. Whatever people want to find during there, for the most part they can. If you are looking for a good academic experience that challenges you and pushes you to be better you will find that. if you are looking for a way to enhance or strengthen your spiritual walk, you will find that. If you're just looking for fun and friends, you'll find that too. Your experience at Oakwood is whatever you make it.

Jalen

I call this school a glorified boarding school. There is assigned curfews and although a religious-based education is offered, it is easy to feel as though you are being gagged by religion and punished financially if you don't adhere to the Worship requirements. This school reprehends its students for tardiness and then do not hold themselves in the same regard. There is also A VERY SERIOUS ORGANIZATIONAL problem, cause on numerous occasion was my account in the system screwed up on this school's behalf. I wish I had more positive things to report on this school, but I can honestly say I am not happy with the fact that I came here, the money, sadness, and depression I obtained from the "Oakwood Way"

Oakwood University home of the Ambassadors is an amazing Christian university to attend. Although we do not maintain all the latest objects and accessories, the faculty and staff do their very best to make sure that everyone receives the help that they need, and they wont stop until you are well taken care of. Here at Oakwood, although we do things a little differently compared to other universities such as going to chapel once a week, and making sure you have all three worship credits per week, were one big happy family. Here at Oakwood we are here to serve one another faithfully so no one is left behind. Were all involved in each way possible, and we continuously bring each other up, so that we may succeed together as the family we are. Like out motto says, "Enter to learn, Depart to serve" that's exactly what we do. Over all i would rate my school a 10 out of 10 for character and spiritual building, and family orientation.

Evonne

Oakwood University is a unique place being that it is the only historically black Seventh-day Adventist institution in the United States. It is a Protestant Christian college that upholds a modest dress code. It has a religious atmosphere and includes different student-led campus ministries. Students who attend Oakwood and live on campus attend mandatory worships and are given curfews. Male and female students live in separate dorms based on gender. Oakwood promotes a healthy campus and serves no meet in the cafeteria or marketplace. Alcohol and/or drugs is not allowed on the campus. The motto for Oakwood is "enter to learn, depart to serve." Students are trained in different ways to serve through education, volunteer work, and missionary work. The Oakwood University Church is located on the campus and is the location of Breath of Life Ministries. By having a prestigious church available to the students, allows students to participate on the pulpit and to attend revivals and concerts at the church. Theology students can also intern at the church. Oakwood promotes the atmosphere to have intellectual Biblical conversations. There are no fraternities or sororities affiliated with the campus because the school promotes that we are all brothers and sisters in Christ; therefore, there is no need for a division of Greek clubs. Seventh-day Adventism is a worldwide religion and Oakwood University is internationally known institutions. Students of color come from all over the United States, Caribbean countries, African countries, and European countries to attend Oakwood. There is a variety of cultures between the students of Oakwood University. These are reasons why Oakwood University is a great school to go to.

Star

Just like any college, it is important to do your research and read many.... many reviews before even attending. If you do decide to go... upperclassmen is your BEST FRIEND when it comes to your academic class-- they can tell you which classes and professors to consider.. and not consider, how to study for each class, and even the people you should-- and should not -- hang around. Oakwood University is also a private university where God is the center. Our motto is "Enter to learn and depart to serve". We believe in helping the community and preparing ourselves not only to advance academically but also to develop a better spiritual life with God. There are many awesome people you will meet there too. I advise you keep a close relationship with your professors-- believe me it'll help you in the long run. Also, if you are not set financially, you should frequently go to Cunningham Hall because the school does offer scholarships for those in need. Lastly, you are the one who makes your experience at any college you will attend-- even if it isn't Oakwood-- sometimes things unexpectedly happen and it may throw you off-- sometimes even that class you spent every night studying for you wind up failing or worse-- but that doesn't mean you give up. College is roller coaster ride it has its ups and its downs but, ohh how it is worth it in the end. Good luck!

Harmony

I feel very comfortable at this school, we are close almost like a family. I never feel left out. The people I have met here are friendly and helpful. Like every university, there are ups and there are downs, but for the most part, I can't see myself attending another university.

Crystal

I am glad to be an "Oakwoodite". Although Oakwood University is not perfect, it has excellent teachers, uplifting worship, a beautiful campus, fun clubs and groups to be involved in, and an overall friendly environment. Since the school is in Huntsville, AL, there are many options for off-campus recreation, such as shopping, eating out, visiting a nature park, and more.

Bria

Oakwood University is an amazing school. There is no other experience like it. When students come here, they grow spiritually, academically, and socially. The teacher try to incorporate God into the learning everyday. The student body encourages and builds one another up academically and when life just becomes stressful

Star

Oakwood University is a decent school, overall, but to fully utilize the Oakwood experience you need to have a LOT of Christian background-being that it is a Christian school. You also need to have a swell background in whatever major you are going into or you will not feel that smart in the classroom. The teachers can be a little tough sometimes, too. Turning in you work on time is a MUST!! They, usually, will NOT except late assignments. IT IS NOTHING LIKE HIGH SCHOOL. They have GREAT recreational activities and clubs to join though. I, also, promise that the friends you make there WILL LAST YOU A LIFE TIME. You just have to find the habitat that fits you most though or you WILL BE MISERABLE!!! Also, lastly, I must include that the Adventist Youth Services and Sabbath Church is AWESOME!!! I promise you once you go to AYS and Oakwood Church that NO CHURCH OR AYS WILL SEEM FITTING TO YOU-- believe me, I'm a sophomore there so I know!!! In general, I've enjoyed myself while at Oakwood University so far... but like every school it has its ups and its downs. You just have to be willing to leave your comfort zone to get the full experience!!

Claudis

Perfect school! Love the long lasting relationship that are created. Advisors could do a better job. Wish the library was more studious. I am on of the few people that enjoy Thursday morning chapel. The pancake bar was the best thing i have ever experienced at Oakwood University do it again.

Prince

Oakwood has given me nothing but great experiences so far. As an incoming freshman, Oakwood took absolute care of us. The freshman orientation was well planned and put together nicely. The establishment always seems to be working together for the good of the students. I am sure that the success of students sit high upon the university’s priorities unlike some universities that just want money. Constant programs for many different majors to help in any way possible. The facilities they give us access to is also a major help. The quality of the facilities is indeed impressive and help an induvial maximize the benefits from it. The teachers are there to not only teach but help you grow. With the amount of office hours, teachers have available, they make themselves available to help you in any way they can. Faculty treats us like adults and with the utmost respect. Even have programs that are directed to focus on the health of people and the cooperation to help induvial improve their health if that is what they want. Oakwood is placed in a beautiful place where if you want to just be surrounded by peace and silence, you don’t have to wonder far for it. I love that Oakwood is not just some super busy, loud, or distracting campus. The campus is surrounded by nature with a beautiful sight of the mountains which can do a lot for you when it feels like you are just stressed out. I love every bit of Oakwood, but mainly because their goal is aligned with my philosophy. Oakwood recognized that for anyone to be who they are meant to be, they must put God first.

Messiyah

It's a very tight-knit community. Living on campus is a little policed. You're required to do a little extra. There's also a curfew in active every night if you live on campus, unless you apply for a leave the week before. It's an amazing school for having a personal connection to your teachers because it's a lot more student oriented unlike other schools because of how small it is.

Waglene

Oakwood University is a school of culture, talent and unity. Since I've been to Oakwood, I enjoy the family setting that has been taken place. This is a school of acceptance and fun. There's a lot of activities around to enjoy as well! I recommend OU!

Jared

How do I feel about Oakwood University? In all honesty if I could go back in time I would have told myself not to ever try to attend. Yes there are some good things about Oakwood, but there are some things about Oakwood that I would have expect for a Christian school . When first desire to attend the university in want to go in order to help go my faith in God, and to be around like mind young people has well. When I started attend it became apparent that school attire rate is low and the Graduation attend rate is lower. One of the highest is the incoming freshmen which isn't saying much to those already attend, because those of us who are attend know that a third of those freshmen will not be returning to the University.

dillon

Oakwood is a nice University. The quality of education is decent, however, the Biology and Business department are splendid. The University as a whole could improve if they were a little more geared to students and less worried about finances.The University does provide a wonderful opportunity to mingle with other students. I would recommend the University to others.

Deanja

Oakwood is a pretty cool school and i would encourage any student to attend. It is a close-nit community of people from all over the world. I have friends from Bahamas, Zimbabwe, Kenya, Bermuda, Haiti, Curacao, France, London and so many other places. Oakwood offers the opportunity to meet friends that are focused and encouraging. Particularly if you are looking for a spiritual environment, or just a comfortable environment for study, you can find it here.

MI'Sharee

i personally at first did not like Oakwood university. But after i took a look for my self i especially fell deeply in love with their worship experience.

Kristen

i do love oakwood. simply because of the wonderful people i meet here and ther spirituality here. It is an environment that can easily bring you close to God and overall i couldnt see me anywhere else. I do love oakwood. i believe it is the place God called me to be.

Serena

I think it is very good school where you leave with more then just a degree . You leave there with a new understanding about life and a closer relationship with God . And that’s what I like about oakwood ,because there a focus on you academically and spiritually. See I could have chosen to gone to another school and gotten good education but be lost spiritually . I am happy in my choice of going to Oakwood University.

Tyler

Oakwood is a very special place. It has everything you are looking for from academics to performing arts. Oakwood is an Adventist HBCU and is known for the world choir Aeolians and other groups that have gone on to win Grammys for example Take 6 and Brian Mcknight just to name a few. If you’re looking for a laid back environment, Oakwood University is perfect.

Chareece

This is a great university that i think will help me to achieve my future goals and dreams. This school has many connections around the country who know about the school and who I think can give me an advantage in certain places, particularly in the medical field, which is where i plan to go.

Briana

Oakwood University is a place where you can find anything you are looking for. I don't believe that this school is for everyone one but if you do come here I can tell you that the spiritual atmosphere is like none other. I love the worship and the music nothing compares to it. It is a place you can grow and become a excellent leader if you are willing to come with an open mind and willing to grow.

Robyn

As an alumnus, I feel Oakwood University has a mission and purpose I can stand behind. I have been very successful in my field and I feel Oakwood prepared me well for the workforce environment. My son is planning on entering as a Freshman at Oakwood University in the Fall of 2019.

Jayda

The best thing about Oakwood University is worship experience which is such a great experience! Every since I was little, my mom would always talk about Oakwood because she went there. When I became a high school senior at South Lancaster Academy, I made it a priority to visit Oakwood. While I visited oakwood live is was such an eye opening experience. The environment was great, the people were so friendly, and overall such a great school.