Oberlin, OH
Oberlin College

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Oberlin College

Elaine

Love it! The community, the people there, there is something special about this place. It does have a rep (students that just fight over everything) that made me initially wary to visit, but once I did I saw that it was totally wrong. Not a fan of the location--surrounded by nothing--but there is so much stuff to do on campus that you wouldn't want to leave anyways! Also, high majority of the kids there are from large cities, so it doesn't have the feel of a small school in Ohio, if that makes sense. Overall, the pros heavily outweigh the cons, and I cannot wait to join.

Jada

Simply put, I love Oberlin. I am a first year student, and in my short time here I have made plenty of friends and found mentors in a few teachers. Professors are always willing to help their students, and the students are willing to help each other. On campus housing is pretty good facility wise, but what really makes it great is the community you live with. The arts are highly appreciated here, and there is something to do every weekend, whether it is a performance or a gallery exhibit. The town is very small but it has a lot of variety and character. If you are looking for a place where you can really get to know people and the area Oberlin is it. We are involved in local and national politics, as well as international issues. There is no Greek life on campus, but there are numerous other ways to get involved from intramural sports teams, to activist clubs, to the more unique Ocircus.

Emma

Great school, very challenging, great student life, not a supportive institution, will not get you a job, costs way too much

Margaret

I would not do justice describing Oberlin as just an incredible college with wonderful teachers and students. Oberlin is a college that pushes creativity and individuality. Its community is widely diverse, and welcoming. I feel safe at my school in every aspect. Students and professors alike are proud of the fact that we are a tight-knit family, and we have each others back. I would highly recommend this school to people who are looking to finding their own voice/ sense of self in a safe and accepting community.

This school is a complete scam. It might as well be a for-profit college with the way that the various departments and members of the administration constantly deceive students and parents in order to make a buck. I am honestly ashamed to have graduated from this disgusting cesspool where greedy administrators seek only to capitalize off of this institution's (underserved) reputation.

James
Oberlin is a horrible, horrible college

Oberlin is a soviet-style commune complete with thought-police and newspeak. To be avoided at all costs.

Oberlin is a horrible, horrible college

Yanarilys

If you are someone who cannot live a slow paced lifestyle, Oberlin may not be for you. If you are someone who enjoys the city and fast paced life, it may prove to be difficult to assimilate into Oberlin College. Although you shouldn’t attend Oberlin if you are someone who may prefer an urban lifestyle as apposed to a rural one, a large number of students who attend this college are from big cities and are united because of this difficulty to assimilate, which may make your experience easier.

Even if you are assertive of your proclaimed career path, you should nevertheless take a class or two that isn't required for that field. Sometimes people find passions unbeknownst to them, or professors that may become lifetime friends by taking these classes. Overall, I recommend that you keep an open mind when selecting classes and extracurricular activities; learn a language you have always wanted to learn, take a class about a topic you know nothing of. College is about self discovery- take chances, and you may learn something new about yourself.

Before you enter college, you should do some research about the different opportunities this college has to offer. Does this college have free counseling offered to students? If so, find out where it is located and whether you are eligible or not. Does this college have a writing center or a means of assisting students with their academics? These are questions that you should focus on as opposed to whether or not your dorm hall is close to a coffee shop. All questions are good questions, but you should invest most of your energy on finding the information that may be relevant to your academic success. If you don’t know where to start, call or email a college representative. Remember that most people who work at colleges are very kind and always willing to assist, so don’t feel like your questions may be a burden or a waste of their time, because it’s not. It’s better to do the research and enter college feeling confident and well informed as opposed to feeling insecure and lost.

Angelique

One major thing that I would advise myself to do is to stay true to myself. Don't try to be something you're not in order to make mediocre friends. You WILL find someone who shares the same interests as you, so there's no point in pretending to be something else. Another thing that I would advise is to not be a people pleaser. It's good to give yourself some "me time" from time to time. Especially since life will get busy and you will need to take a break sometimes and spend time alone.

Someone who is very passionate about a certain cause or area of expertise.

On a shallow level, the thing that frustrates me the most is the weather!! But that's probably because I'm from the south. On a more deep level, what frustrates me the most about Oberlin is how we're suppose to be an open/progressive school, but there are SO many judgemental people that try to stamp on other people's beliefs.

Oliver

Oberlin is the only school I considered with a conservatory on the same campus. The shared programs mean that we get to see such incredible performers as the Cleveland Symphony Orchestra and even Yo-Yo Ma on stages at school. It also means all our concerts are really, really good.

Oberlin isn't a good place for people who need to shop or need to be in a place where there are a lot of things to do. The town is 30 minutes from Cleveland by car, and because there's no public transit in the town, it's very hard to get anywhere outside the campus and the very small nearby downtown area.

I would tell my high school senior self to consider what really matters before choosing a school. The most important thing about college is having an excellent time learning about the things you care about. Without programs focused on my passions, I've found myself having a hard time getting interested in what I'm learning. Another crucial part about choosing a college, though, is the location. Being out in the middle of nowhere could be a wonderful experience for people who want to get away from the hustle and bustle that define city life, but for me, a cornfield isn't my idea of an ideal location. Knowing what you care about is central to choosing a college, so I would remind my high school senior self to think deeply before coming to a decision.

Daniel

The first thing I'd tell my high school senior self is the number for the Mega Millions lottery that week (if only). Barring that, the advice that I would give would be to truly focus on honing your social skills. Learn how to network with others and the path you must take to success will be that much easier. I would tell myself to learn the basics of Music Business, as you would need it in the future. I would remind myself that regardless of how my peers behave I should always be punctual for commitments and polite to all those that I work with, burning bridges will simply leave you trapped on a plateau in the long run. I would also tell him to shed like there's no tomorrow because everyone your about to go to school with is an amazing musician and will eat you alive if you aren't prepared. I would definitely tell myself to apply for more scholarships. But above all I would tell myself that no matter what I do, stay focused, always pursue your interests and be confident for the world belongs to the bold.

I brag most about the amazing amount of freedom you have to pursue your interests on campus. I have had the opportunity to do so much and learn about all of my many interests. I couldn't think of a better place to go if you want to learn about something because we bring in the best that the world has to offer.

Honestly while I love my school it can be frustrating being so far from any kind of city center. I come from a city and enjoyed the benefit of having multiple corner stores within a few blocks from my home. It's amazingly inexpensive food and is by far one of the most convenient aspects of living in a city. Unfortunately its just something Oberlin lacks.

Oberlin College administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.