Oberlin, OH
Oberlin College

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Oberlin College

Kelly

The best thing is that everyone is open-minded so it's easy to feel comfortable being yourself here. Also, most people are genuinely excited about learning, and that makes it fun to be here and talk to people. Which brings me to the thing I'd change- I wish people were more extroverted here. It's not true that everyone is awkward, but it can be difficult to initiate friendships with people. I really like the size- it feels big when you start but by the time you're a senior, often when you meet a new person you realize you're somehow connected to them or have met them before. People's reactions to telling them you go to Oberlin: Either they've never heard of it, or they've only heard of the Conservatory and ask you what instrument you play, or they know someone who's gone here and offer kudos on going to an awesome school. I spend a lot of time in my dorm- my friends here are like my second family. The college town is basically one street with a few restaurants and small shops. There is 1 bar, and the closest hard liquor store is basically driving distance, or quite a long walk (though you can buy beer and such at one of the shops in town which is much closer). The administration is going through some major changes right now, but in the time I've been here the biggest complaint is that the college sucks at handling money. It seems like there's never enough of it even though it costs an arm and a leg to go here. I feel like there's not a lot of controversy because we're all very liberal. But, race/ethnic relations can get a little touchy because some of us are very PC and some of us are very not. There is not a lot of school pride and people are very anti-traditional, which can be a drag sometimes. Oberlin students would rather discuss what could be improved about our school than what they love about the way it is. Everything about Oberlin is unusual! Don't miss Drag Ball, the biggest event on campus, held every spring.

The diversity is great- the problem is, sometimes groups can be exclusive. But I suppose you'll find that anywhere and at Oberlin it's less exclusive than it might be. A hardcore jock or preppy cheerleader type would feel out of place here. Students wear all sorts of strange things. Different types of students definitely do interact, but you might push people's buttons if the topic of safe spaces comes up. There really is no typical Oberlin student, except to say that most of us were sort of outcasts or weird in high school and most of us are very liberal. Many students are very politically active. Most are aware but don't really discuss it much or do anything about it. There are also a bunch who just don't really care about politics, but the admissions office wants you to think they don't exist. Students definitely do not talk about how much they'll earn one day. Ever. Except to say that many of us worry (jokingly) that we will one day be living in a box.

The library is so wonderful for taking naps in. I love the atmosphere there.

Every stereotype is based in truth but none of them are absolute. A lot of us are a lot of those things but you'll always find exceptions.

Most of my professors know my name. I love that class sizes are small and we have some really great discussions, provided a professor who's a good facilitator (some of them are really brilliant but not really good at teaching). Sometimes class discussions carry over to outside of class but I wouldn't say it's incredibly common, probably because of the shortage of extroverted people. Oberlin students work hard, but there's a lot of leeway- if you want to make a tough schedule you can, or if you want a light one you can do that too. Students are not competitive at all- your schoolwork is your own business. As long as you take learning seriously no one cares what grades you get. The anthropology department is small but slowly growing. The East Asian Studies department is huge and awesome, whether you're into Japanese or Chinese. But, if you're looking for Korean you should probably look elsewhere. I have pretty much never spent time with profs outside of class, unless I'm going to office hours. Oberlin's academic requirements are very reasonable and allow you to get a great, broad education. Oberlin is very geared toward learning for learning's sake. A lot of students go into non-profit or teaching or writing and things like that. There's an anti-establishment sentiment on campus-- students would rather fight the man than earn a high salary.

Stereotypes from the outside: That we're all radical, dirty hippies, or that we all play an instrument. Oberlin stereotypes of Oberlin: Everyone is awkward and has no social skills, that we all try so hard to be different that we're actually homogenized, that it's never sunny here.

OC Democrats is quite large. Theater and Musical theater clubs are very popular and put on lots of shows, though our student theater spaces leave something to be desired (namely, more space). My favorite extra-curricular activity is choir. The conductor is awesome and everyone in the choir really loves to sing, and everyone's quite friendly. We make awesome music. Guest speakers are pretty common and popular, as is theater. Sports events...it's like they don't even exist. Except for women's rugby. And perhaps fencing and aikido. The dating scene is *awkward* I mean, we try, but sometimes it can be discouraging. A lot of people are shy. I met my closest friends eating in a co-op with them. The co-op system is really great. Also we live in the same dorm which is a program house. People party a lot, but it's low key, hang out and have a few beers in my friend's room kind of partying. Hardcore loud crowded parties definitely happen if you're into that, but there is no Greek life. And we're proud of that. Pot is almost as popular as alcohol. There is plenty to do on weekends if you're not into partying. There is always some performance going on- often several. But, if you're looking to go clubbing or do some sort of activity that's not on campus, Oberlin's not a good place to be. Stick to campus events- you can check out the events calendar on the Oberlin website, but even that's not complete.

Alex

The best thing about Oberlin is spring! Oberlin is beautiful in spring and because it is such a stark contrast to our winters, everyone is outside having fun and studying. It's just the best place to be! I would move Oberlin to California if I could change one thing! It's too cold here for me during the winter! Oberlin is a little bit small sometimes, it'd be nice to have a larger variety of parties to choose from on a weekend night, but in terms of class sizes, Oberlin is just right! If people are not musicians, they tend to not know about Oberlin when I say that I go here, but musicians are always really impressed. Those that do know about Oberlin are really impressed as well! Where I spend most of my time on campus depends on the season. During the early fall and spring, I try to stay outside as much as possible, mostly in Wilder Bowl or on South or North Quad, whereas during the winter I try to stay indoors, either in the Conservatory, my co-op or my dorm. Oberlin is definately a college town! We have really cute local businesses and a really cheap one theater movie theater! But a lot of students tend to stay in the campus part of town. I think for the most part Oberlin's administration is pretty good. But I'm not into bureacracy, so I don't spend too much time with administrators. But they aren't perfect, no school's administration is. I think the biggest recent controversy on campus is very subjective. For me it had to do with the issue of safe spaces in our cooperative association, but I know that not every felt it was such a big issue. There is school pride in the sense that we like Oberlin and we are proud to go here, but there isn't much pride in terms of "school spirit" and sports support. The most unusual thing about Oberlin is that we have albino squirrels that live in Tappan Square! They are amazing. I'll always remember my first La Alianza Latina meeting. Just seeing how many different types of latinos there are on campus, even though our numbers aren't very high, made me feel more comfortable as a latina on campus. The most frequent student complaints are about the cold, that there aren't enough parties, and that they have to study a lot.

I am a member of La Alianza Latina and a member of Third World Co-op, a safe space primarily for low-income, first generation, LGBTQI, international and/or POC students. It has been an enlightening experience being in both of these groups, because I didn't grow up in a community that addressed many issues. My community is very liberal and there isn't much debate over how things should work. Because Oberlin is an academic environment we talk a lot about the issues of marginalized people often, both within the context of Oberlin and the greater world. A student who isn't very open-minded would probably not feel very comfortable at Oberlin. Students wear clothes to classes, only some people wear sweats or pajamas, though there are some people who do and it isn't weird. It isn't like many people really dress up for class though, except for some Conservatory students. Most students at Oberlin come from the NYC area or the San Francisco Bay Area, but there are people from all over! It seems like students are predominantly from the upper middle class background, though there is a pretty tight-knit group of low-income students, as well as low -income students that are extremely integrated within the Oberlin community. Students tend to be more politically aware and active than most, but not as much as one might think considering the stereotypes about Oberlin students. The student body is predominantly left. Students talk about how much they'll earn one day, but not that often.

No, not all of them. There are definately some people who fall into each stereotype, but there are people like that at every school. I think the only stereotypes that are true across the board are that Oberlin students are creative and that there is always something happening on campus. Not all Oberlin students are overtly creative, but I feel that there is something innately creative about all of the Oberlin students I have encountered. Also, there IS always something happening on campus, it just might not be something that everyone wants to do! You can find some kind of concert on campus any night of the week and there are always club activities and meetings.

All of my professors know my name. My favorite class is "Intro to Musics of the World". I'm really interested in ethnomusicology. My least favorite class is music theory, but that is because it doesn't come naturally to me. The amount of time a student studies really varies, some students study a lot all the time, whereas some students only study a lot during the week. I study a lot, but not so much that I have no social life, or time to take this survey! Class participation is not extremely common, but definately not uncommon. It really depends on the subject. People tend to keep quiet in classes that they aren't as comfortable with, though it could be different in the College, I only know how it is in the Conservatory. Oberlin students definately have intellectual conversations outside of class, though not so much that we don't talk about everyday things. I feel like there is always a good intellectual conversation to be found if you want it, but you can always find a rest from academia if that's what you want. Students are competitive, but not bloodthirsty. I feel like there is a healthy amount of competition, which is saying a lot considering that most conservatoires are notorious for their competitive atmospheres. The most unique class I've taken was Opera Theater. We did a lot of "Viewpoints" during the first half of the semester. "Viewpoints" is kind of an abstract way to get in touch with your body and movements while you're onstage. It helps you become more aware of your surroundings are fellow performers, but sometimes it was pretty weird. I really enjoyed the class though! It was my favorite class that semester. I'm a vocal performance major. It's an excellent program, but it is unlike many of the Oberlin programs in that we have so many required classes that there isn't a whole lot of room for flexibility. It is an intense program, but if classical voice is what you want to study, this is a fabulous place to do it. I don't personally spend much time with my professors outside of class, but I know a lot of people who do. I know some people who have meetings with their professors over coffee or go to offices hours a lot. Oberlin professors try to be available to their students as much as possible. As I am solely a conservatory student, I don't know much about Oberlin's academic requirements, but the Conservatory requirements are reasonable. There are a lot of them, but all of them are pretty essential, so I definately see why we have to take them. The Conservatory offers pretty much pre-professional training, preparing you to get jobs after you graduate, but that is just the nature of studying music. The college seems to be much more geared toward learning for the sake of broadening one's own horizons.

Oberlin students are crazy hippies, they are very creative and hard working, they are all nerds, they are really busy, they are socially active, they care about the world. Oberlin is very student friendly, there is always someone to talk to, and there is always something haappening on campus.

Vincent

What's the best thing about Oberlin? The conservatory of music, and the efforts the school puts into the sustainable development. · Name one thing you'd change. Oberlin city in itself, because it just doesn't fit the college goals at all, and seems very different and apart from the oberlin college. Only Gibson's and the Feve should remain unchanged here. I would see a starbucks here · Is your school too large, too small, or just right? I would like to see it bigger, with more connections between North and South campus, and more beautiful buildings than there is already, with more departments. · How do people react when you tell them you go to Oberlin? They are impressed and congratulate me. · Where do you spend most of your time on campus? Wilder bowl, The conservatory of music. · College town, or "what college town?" "what college town?" · What's your opinion of Oberlin's administration? It is still more efficient than in my country, but it simply has gotten worse and worse for the past three years: huge lack of coordination between offices, slowness and difficulties to do things easily. · What was the biggest recent controversy on campus? Problems with the Oberlin city Police: racial issues between student and some officers from the police department, and now people trust less the police than safety and security (on campus)...But i don't know enough in details. · Is there a lot of school pride? Not really...a decent amount. But actually, there is a lot of transferring (leaving oberlin), which is sad... · Is there anything unusual about Oberlin? Yes: its student,among many other things... · What's one experience you'll always remember? TGIF, dragball party, offcampus parties. · What are the most frequent student complaints? There's nothing going on in Oberlin, it's too cold here...

What are your experiences with racial, religious, LGBT, socio-economic, and/or other groups on campus? none. · What kind of student would feel out of place at Oberlin? Too serious people, uninspired people. · What do most students wear to class? relax pants and t-shirts · Do different types of students interact? not so much. · There are four tables of students in the dining hall. Describe them. The football team table, the hipster/or hippes table, the black table, mainstream white table. · Where are most Oberlin students from? New york, elsewhere, and international · What financial backgrounds are most prevalent? 70% well-off, and 30% are not so well off. · Are students politically aware / active? Yes Are they predominantly left, right or center? Left, and a center · Do students talk about how much they'll earn one day? Never.

Yes in some instances, however, the diversity is so great here that you can find tons of different kinds of people, atmosphere...But in the same time, it seems that people that go here are a little bit extra special, just a little crazy I think...

Do professors know your name? yes · Tell us about your favorite class. Least favorite? Favorite class: harpsichord private lesson. Least favorite class: continuo realization class · How often do students study? Every day or every two days · Is class participation common? Not so much, except in philosophy classes. · Do Oberlin students have intellectual conversations outside of class? Yes they do. · Are students competitive? Not so much, individuality is more present and so somebody really cares about the rest of the students in the class. · What's the most unique class you've taken? Philosophy 123. · Tell us about your major / department. My major is harpsichord, oberlin has the best undergard harpsichord department in the country. · Do you spend time with professors outside of class? once a month yes. · How do you feel about Oberlin 's academic requirements? There are good. · Is the education at Oberlin geared toward getting a job, or learning for its own sake? Learning for its own sake.

OBERLIN: small lost college in the middle of nowhere, but good reputation. Oberlin students: hippies, very liberal, open minded,a little crazy.

What are the most popular groups/organizations/clubs/teams on campus? Women's rugby team, freesbee club... · Tell us about a group you’re involved with. The men's rugby team: great spirit, lot of fun outside practice, great people that understand what rugby is all about... · Do students in dorms leave their doors open? Most of them yes. · How popular are athletic events? Guest speakers? Theater? Athletic events: not so popular. Guest Speakers: popular. Theater: very popular. · Tell us about the dating scene. Not much couples formed... · How did you meet your closest friends? by working together. · If you’re awake at 2am on a Tuesday, what are you doing? I failed to try to sleep. · What traditions/events happen each year? dragball party, merengue madness, safer sex night. · How often do people party? Very often, depending on the parties available, like Fridays and saturdays at least. · How important are fraternities/sororities? Not important. There's none here I believe. · What did you do last weekend? Hung out with my friends up late, but I did not party. · What can you do on a Saturday night that doesn’t involve drinking? Go to the disco, or the movie theater...but really nothing else. · What do you do off campus? Shop in town, party.

Casey

The Oberlin student body is a collection of the 2800 most quality people that could be gathered into one place. Everyone is intelligent, driven, capable, and immensely creative. The faculty is often overworked, but has a sincere interest in the students. As a junior, having gone abroad and come back, this place feels tiny. I spend most of my time at the library. The downtown is one block long, and the college area is very segregated from the non-college community. The administration has recently undergone huge changes in personnel, and I am optimistic about the direction of their future leadership. They know what they are doing, and though students often see problems rather than the situations that underlie them, the administration makes an earnest and concerted effort to maintain the excellence of Oberlin. The recent biggest controversy on campus was an increase in the student activity fee, but a controversy that I think was weightier was the faculty cuts prompted by the Strategic Plan. There is school pride, but it is atypical; it is intellectual and academic pride, the celebration of perspicacious and informed activism. Oberlin is unusual in the social dynamics of the student body; a huge majority of students are socially awkward, and people have bizarre modes of social functioning. There are cliques. I will always remember my freshman orientation, having a dance party in my co-op kitchen while making pesto and then eating it outside.

Conservative students would feel out of place here. There is a good effort to make Oberlin an all-inclusive, and socio-economically/color blind. Oberlin is more successful in that vane than most other places in the world, but does not realize utopic proportions. Modes of dress: there is the bathrobe guy, the guy wearing a onezie he made out of leaves, the guy dressed as dick tracy, the girl who looks like Flashdance, the girl who is wearing the same jeans and a sweatshirt from 7th grade, the girl dressed as Rocky from 3 Ninjas, others with thick-rimmed glasses and a melange of neons...very wide range of self-expressions. Many students are from NYC, the DC area, the Bay Area, and other wealthy liberal-minded places. The average quotient of political awareness far exceeds the majority of the U.S., and it is considered a mark of soullessness to be politically conservative.

This is a silly question. No stereotype is a comprehensive represenation of human complexity. Some students possess these qualities, in many different combinations. They remain variegated and whole people. The above response is a stereotypically Oberlin response.

I am very close with about 50% of the professors and administrative members that I have had contact with; I go to their office hours, have a beer with them, extend class discussions outside the classroom. To have intellectual conversations in casual settings is a major marker of Oberlin students. Everyone is inspired, all the time. My two favorite classes were American Government, and African American Humor. Academics are not in any way competitive. I don't know if I have ever had a conversation about grades with any of my peers in my entire time here. Oberlin has a healthy balance of learning for pursuit of knowledge, and positioning students to get idealistic and socially principled jobs after graduation. Very many students graduate to work in NGO's or other non-profit orgs.

Students are rigidly liberal, "hippies," "hipsters", opinionated, weird, nerdy, creative, visionary, instigators, hyper-deconstructive, oversensitive, preoccupied with social justice to the point of stagnation

There are over 100 chartered student organizations that receive funds from the Student Activities Fee, and many many more that are not officially registered with the Student Union. Mostly only athletes attend athletics events. Guest speakers are relatively well-attended, as are theatrical productions, and conservatory performances. Healthy and fulfilling romantic relationships are an impossible aspiration. My closest friends are people that I have lived with, or played softball with, or met through mutual friends, or cooked with in a co-op, or served on a committee with... There is no Greek life. The co-op system is a form of gender-blind fraternization. Last weekend, I did homework, went to plays, snapped my fingers, and went to parties. If you don't want to drink, you can build a bike, bake muffins, make a rope out of shoelaces, build an igloo, make a giant badger out of chicken wire, have a handstand contest, do a radio show...infinite.

Bree

I love the library. It helped me decide to come here. It's funky and AWESOME with crazy nooks and crannies, and possibly ever book ever written. Oberlin is great because it's small. I was worried it would be too small for me- i'm very social and was worried i'd "go through" everyone here quickly and then be like "where are all the people?!" When I narrowed down my school choices, it was between Oberlin, UCLA, and UC Berkeley. Pretty much, two HUGE school + Oberlin. But the fact that it's small just makes socializing all that much better. My friends at large schools only hang out with their nuclear group of friends they made freshman year; I can hang out with pretty much anyone, and it's not weird to make new friends daily, or to make those new friends your new best friends. Also, no matter where you go on campus, you find someone you know. it's really great when you're having a bad day and you run into that cute boy from your econ class, ya know?

People are SO PC IT HURTS SOMETIMES. on the other hand, people here will accept you for anything weird you want to do. Most people here are either economically well off or pretty poor, but either way most people aren't pretentious about it. In fact, i don't really know how wealthy my friends here are, with the exception of people i've visited on breaks and stuff.

Oberlin is great- you do have to be prepared for people thinking about themselves as "weird". sometimes people here do weird things and it's like "dude. you're totally just doing that to be ridiculous. chill the fuck out."

Nope. Most people here are interesting-pretty. Not classically attractive, but definitely more of that lasting kind of attractive where, every time you see them, they seem to get better looking. We do spend a lot of time studying- Oberlin is an intensely academic school, but it doesn't kill your social life that you have to study. In fact, it enhances it! Also, pot is really easy to get here and a form of release many people use to chill out on weekends, but you can always find people who don't smoke if you're not into that sort of thing.

All my professors know my name. Small classes are great. Some people think just cuz the classes are small you can't skip, but that's not true. I mean, i never WANT to skip, because I really love all my classes, but i have before and the profs totally understand. Professors LOVE when you come to office hours and most professors are even better one on one than in class. Oberlin is definitely all about learning for its own sake. you gotta love school to come here.

That we are all ugly hippies who spend a lot of time studying and just as much time smoking pot.

Andy

I am convinced that Oberlin may be the only school in the entire country at which I would be happy. The students are extremely engaged, if not in their classes, in their personal life. Everyone is very humble, modest, unstuck-up, bright, argumentative, politically correct, and loving. Oberlin is like one big happy community, at least within the circle I hang around. Much of my happiness, however, I owe to OSCA, the Oberlin Student Co-operative Association. OSCA is a food and living co-op organization in which students cook their own food and work (or live) together in a commune-like structure. The students in OSCA tend to be a different breed--the liveliest, most interesting, crazy and beautiful people seem to congregate around the bohemian co-ops, and they seem a relic of the Sixties. The amount of community interaction built from the coops is really incredible. The bureaucracy at Oberlin is quite varied, and sometimes can be accessible and other times extremely infuriating. I am guessing this is no different than most other schools; however, it is very frustrating at times the number of hoops they will make you jump through, and a few administrations seem to be very inefficient, in particular ResEd. The campus/town feels small at times, but I think ultimately this is good for the community. You can't go anywhere without running into (and interacting with) people you know, and I think this really adds to the friendly environment. Coming from the West Coast, my biggest complaint is the weather. It's almost unbearable for me half the time, and while I love the school, one of the big lessons I learned was that I'm going to go back to the West when I graduate. If I could change anything about the school, I would do my best to re-cultivate our ability to attracting interesting, "Bohemian" people. The administration rebranded the school recently with an ad campaign trying to shed a school image they thought was "weird." I take weird to mean anything not "normal"; we are not a school of Swarthmore preppies or stuck-up Ivies, we are socially active, Earth-loving environmental crusaders with wildly different and fascinating interests that are embraced here. To shed this image would be tragic, as it is what makes Oberlin such a wonderful, artistic, liberal place in the middle of BF Ohio. Quite frankly, I am here at Oberlin because this is where the "freaks" are--real people who aren't afraid to act like themselves and do whatever they please. Nothing is unusual here, from nudity in the quad to puking contests in the name of "art" to men wearing dresses around campus. We are the social conservative's nightmare. Republicans run in fear from our campus, and I am proud of it.

The student body is liberal to the sake of absurdity in every sense of the word--overly politically correct, Marxist economics, communes, hippies, you name it. I don't really think sexuality exists here--I could call myself straight and hook up with thirty guys and no one would blink an eye. Sex is an extremely open discussion on campus. Two huge events, Safer Sex Night and Drag Ball, promote the pro-sexual, anti-gender-norm environment. Geographically, Obies are an extremely diverse bunch. I know someone from almost every state, along with a handful of internationals. There is a bias against greed and materialism, thankfully--the on-campus "Free Store," the co-ops, and frequent crews of anti-capitalist dumpster divers enforce this image.

For the most part, yes, although some jocks and preps are creeping in the edges, sadly.

Academics tend to be very good at Oberlin, yet extremely demanding. Science majors have it the worst in terms of workloads. Obies can be extremely intellectual outside of the classroom, which is one of the reasons I chose this school--the students are actually engaging. The Experimental College offers the best range of unique classes out of the norm--I've taken a juggling class and a Kurt Vonnegut class, and other unique classes on subjects like Shamanism and the X-Files are offered as well. As a liberal arts school, the knowledge we gain is extremely topical and geared very much towards bettering ourselves and the world. I happen to like it that way, but a control freak or job-obsessed maven may think otherwise. Students here are very uncompetitive, which makes for a good atmosphere. Class sizes are very small compared to other institutions, so I've heard, and there are many ways professors interact with their students aside from just class and office hours. The dance club on campus, the 'Sco (short for Dionysus Disco) offers a "Professor Beers" night where students who bring professors get cheap beer for their table. I think since I've been here, every one of my professors has known my name by the end of the semester.

That we're extremely liberal, bright, quirky and either hipsters or hippies.

For a school so remote and small, Oberlin is more active than many public universities I've been to. There is always something going on on the campus, sometimes too many things. From parties to concerts to religious activities to theatre, there's never a shortage of things to do.

Oberlin College administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.