Oberlin, OH
Oberlin College

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Oberlin College

Valerie

Music, definitely. But even if you just appreciate listening to music, you'll love Oberlin. The College of Arts and Sciences is also highly selective and the quality of instruction is phenomenal. An Oberlin education is priceless. As for most well known departments, I'd say the Neuroscience, religion, and creative writing departments are known to be strongest.

The people at Oberlin are what make it unique. You are constantly surrounded by a diverse student body who have done things you've never heard of. Everyone is really nice, friendly, and welcoming. Also, Oberlin is a small place so you run into everyone a lot, even if you don't want to!

Spend a lot of time visitng your potential colleges in person, so that you can get a feel for the campus. After all, you're going to spend 4+ years at the institution. Don't choose a college based on the website/pamphlets/etc. Make sure the college matches your career goals and that the community is somewhere you'd like to be. Also, it's alright to be unsure of what you want to study. Attending a libral arts school will give you many options with which to experiment. Volunteer, intern, and get work experience while you are in college. Make the most of it, so that when you graduate and go out into the work world, you will have a solid idea of what you want to do with your life.

Syrea

Be very open-minded and willing to try out new things and new ideas.

Be very open-minded and willing to try out new things and new ideas.

It's history surrounding social justice.

I very liberal and environmental conscience person. A person that believes in the democratic party, even if they are from a republican family. Sometimes people that are "different".

Jamie

As a college student, my eyes have been opened to what the world is really like, in a way they never were in grade school. I am learning things i need to know for my future career while also learning some valuable life lessons along the way. Everything from the classes I take to the work i decide to do is up to me. If i decide not to show up for class or do an assignment, that's on me. There's no one there holding my hand anymore, and while in ways that can seem a bit scary, it has helped me grow up a lot. College is not only preparing me for a career, it's preparing me to be an adult, it's preparing me to go out into the real world, it's preparing me for life.

Cody

I went to the largest high school in the cluster of eight counties that constitute convenient driving distances from my home. I came from behind my senior year to become my class’s valedictorian. And yet the signal lesson of that experience was hard work. I was dedicated, pro-active, and meticulous. But I did not always trust my ideas, or appreciate a comment once made by Albert Einstein, that “imagination is more important than knowledge.” I was at that time like a coin collector, content to accumulate other people’s ideas and concepts.The community college has been a great experience for me. My first semester roused me from this collector’s impulse. In this awakening I was very grateful to have great professors who helped motivate me to perform to my full potential. They made me see that I had to make something out of the knowledge I was receiving; that having one’s own ideas is what makes education so rewarding. My community college has prepared me for my next journey to a major university. I now have the "imagination" needed to excel on a higher level and achieve my long-term goal of becoming a dentist.

Talia

Oberlin is open and friendly, full of diligent (mostly liberal) students with diverse interests and backgrounds that encourage environmental responsibility.

Oberlin is known for its liberal-mindedness and high quality of education and music.

I have learned so many new things, made close friends, gotten valuable job experience, and have discovered more about myself since I've been here. It's an expensive school, but it's worth every dime for the confidence and knowledge it has brought me. I wouldn't go anywhere else.

Maria

Oberlin College provided a strong foundation to sucessfully manage any job or go on to higher degrees. My education at Oberlin was diverse, academically and socially, and encouraged me to think critically. I have been a rigorous student since high school with the goal of breaking-down commonly held assumptions and over-simplifications of history and everyday life. In order to analyze assumptions of other cultures as well as our own, a strong sense of cross-cultural understanding must be achieved. Since attending Oberlin College for East Asian (primarily Japan) Studies, I felt the desire to continue my education by teaching English in Japan on the JET Programme. I enjoyed living in a rural Japanese town and sharing my culture with the students and teachers I worked with while being immersed in everyday rural Japanese life. Oberlin gave me the ability and dedication to achieve my goals of enhancing cross-cultural communication and understanding. As a current Master's student, I intend to improve my scholarship further with the end goal of teaching high school students the importance of critical thinking and dedication to improvement that Oberlin gave me.

The professors are incredibly dedicated to helping students expand their knowledge and increase their scholarship quality. The other students are fantastic as well and most people are incredibly friendly and willing to be friends.

I wish I had known a bit more about Ohio's weather. It can be pretty gloomy in the winter.

Torry

When I first told people I got into Oberlin (if they didn't know someone who went here) they asked, "Where's that?" When I told them it was in Ohio I'd usually get a raised eyebrow or a concerned "why do you want to go there?" response. The person who least wanted me to go, however, recently visited and after staying a couple nights he said, "Okay. I have to admit. It's pretty cool here." Ohio is not so bad. It gets cold and sometimes feels a little middle-of-nowhere. In the Big Picture, though, there are always things to do on campus and if anything else you can bond with someone over how much different Oberlin is than your hometown.

Oberlin has the widest variety of identities I've seen in a group of people our age. I come from New York City (as do many other students), so I don't see or expect the same amount of racial or cultural diversity as I do at home. I am always surprised by the diversity of style, sexuality, class and personal beliefs. I've learned so much about myself by getting to know my peers at Oberlin.

Say anything? MONKEYS! The Naked Truth about Oberlin comes out when you visit. I don't think I would have chosen to apply Early Decision if I hadn't come on the New York Fly-In. It's really difficult to pain a picture of any college campus and the best thing a student can do - especially to find out more about Oberlin College - is to visit.

No. At least not the dirty, grungy hippie one. If you've heard about 'those really smart kids at Oberlin who work too hard,' that's probably more accurate. The majority of students have trouble focusing on one interest and are typically overwhelmed with the amount of activities they're passionately involved with.

The academics are what you make of them. Many professors are door-always-open types: they really want you to excel and if that means sitting with you every week to review class material, then that's what they will do! I spend a lot of time with my professors outside of class because I'm a theater major and many times my professors are people with whom I'm working on a show. I came from a small High School, so I really enjoy being comfortable with my professors in that way.

There's always too much to do at Oberlin and, surprisingly, the majority of it has nothing to do with alcohol. On any given night, one has over 20 choices of activities and that can include concerts, movie screenings, plays, dance performances, dancing at the 'sco (on campus club), going to Cleveland for an event there, study party, cookie baking party, dinner plans or doing one's homework. If I'm awake at 2am? I'm probably just getting out of the library having finished a very satisfying discussion about something really important to me that probably has little or nothing to do with any of my academic classes.

That we're dirty, grungy hippies who don't learn anything at college except how to smoke pot and party.

Anna

Oberlin is not for everybody! It's the place for me, but if you're not looking for something like this, you might be unhappy: -The students are generally pretty liberal. That doesn't mean YOU need to be liberal, but you better be prepared. They are (usually) reasonable and open to discussion and like to be challenged. -The students are somewhat weird, unique, and awkward but in their own charming way. If you're looking for a bunch of suave athletes who wear designer clothes, you will be disappointed. -The weather is cold. You will survive, but you will complain a lot if you don't like snow. -There's a lot going on in the way of political activism, music of all kinds, art and dance, and some theater and film. But it is not New York City. It's got a very small town feel (everyone recognizes everyone and there are lots of quaint activities like apple picking and a giant parade in the spring). -You will spend a lot of time studying and writing papers. Be prepared to make the most of it. You can make it fun if you study with friends and study things you're interested in. But slacking off isn't really an option. -Sports and drinking are both fun but not the central focus of social life (for most people). In a word, Oberlin is quirky. That means it's heaven for some, but just annoying for others.

Students are diverse but have a very strong common thread, if that makes sense. For example: most students are liberal on the political spectrum, but you could still poll 50 different people about a policy issue and get 50 different opinions and proposed solutions. Another example: One person went to a private school; another went to an inner city public school and is here on scholarship, but they both were drawn to Oberlin by the Jazz program. Most people are pretty relaxed and range anywhere from wearing sweatpants to class to wearing an eccentric outfit made of spandex. Any pretentiousness is usually people trying to be more artistic/indie/hipster; not people trying to show off their wealth or fashion sense.

Professors are super accessible. You will be friends with at least one by the time you graduate (and by that I mean, go over to their house regularly, know their spouse/kids/dog, talk about life, the universe, and everything, etc.). You will have classes you LOVE and classes you hate. Same with professors. The ones you love will make up for the ones you hate. You will find the department you love, and that will be the one you major in. (For me, it was Politics.) Expect to spend a lot of time studying. My strategy is to take classes with different kinds of work (i.e., one class that focuses heavily on reading; one that focuses on writing; one that is more math- or science-based so it focuses on problem sets or labs; and one that is in a foreign language or a practicum or something else different) to break it up. Oberlin is nice because you only have general distribution requirements (a couple classes in Math/Science, a couple in Social Science, a couple in Humanities) so you get a broad education without having to take classes that you know you won't be interested in. Oberlin's degrees are based in liberal arts and they don't offer pre-professional programs, so it might appear that Oberlin doesn't prepare you for the real world, but in reality, they offer tons of internship/fellowship opportunities. I got an all-expenses paid trip to intern on a political campaign in California for a summer through the Cole Scholars program in Politics.

There's no greek life. And I think most people are happy about that. A typical Saturday: sleep in, go to a co-op lunch (or Black River brunch), study for most of the afternoon (maybe attend a rugby game, or catch a quick afternoon recital), dinner, go to a concert (or dance performance or play or opera or movie at the Apollo), then have some drinks (or not) and go to a friend's house for a game (or movie or party). Conclusion: there are lots of different things to do--from making your own fun to the huge number of concerts and other performances offered every weekend. Parties and other activities are pretty casual. Plenty of people drink, but plenty of people don't. People rarely stray from the town and campus of Oberlin. Most people meet friends from teams/groups, dorms, and classes.

Oberlin College administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.