Oberlin, OH
Oberlin College

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Oberlin College

Carrie

Overall, I think Oberlin is a unique and wonderful environment in which to learn and grow as a person.

Students appreciate the value of education, and pursue knowledge in a way that is supportive of those around them, rather than trying to gain a competitive edge. This takes a lot of pressure off when compared with similarly rigorous curricula at other colleges. The mindset of the students is truly what sets Oberlin apart, with the majority of students being open to non-conventional thought processes and forms of self-expression. In other words, Oberlin is a place where the "weird kids" from high school (me!) can feel completely comfortable.

For the most part, they are. But I don't think that's a bad thing. Sweeping generalizations in any context don't always apply, but the student body of Oberlin College tends to engage in life more intentionally than the average college student, and most everyone has a not-so-mainstream passion that they're not afraid to share.

Academic life can be very different depending on the major you have chosen. But one thing that crosses departmental lines is the passion of the faculty. Oberlin professors are hired to teach first, do everything else (research etc) second. Each professor is required to have open office hours each week, where students can drop by to talk about homework, problems in the class, or just to say hello. We have an inside joke here at Oberlin which goes "If you haven't been to a professor's house by the end of your first semester, there's something wrong with you". So Oberlin has a very personalized approach to learning.

The problem with Oberlin is not that there's too little to do in our rural Ohio community - it's that there's too much! Students rarely if ever need to leave campus to find entertainment; some of the many activities include the conservatory of music, which puts on over 400 concerts a year, the student dance club/bar (the 'sco), which puts on many more smaller concerts or will have a dj playing most nights, lecturers who are brought in by various departments and organizations, sporting events, improv groups, and just hanging out with friends!

That we're a bunch of quirky liberals who would rather eat food from dumpsters than McDonalds

Liz

Academic life is pretty varied. Students have to take a broad range of classes in the three divisions (social sciences, natural sciences, and arts and humanities) to graduate, which is natural for a liberal arts institution. These requirements are easy to fulfill though, I'm on my third semester and almost done. Also, the ExCo or Experimental College program is fantastic, which is basically student run classes on anything from Tango classes to the Office to Korean.

There are so many opportunities on campus, which is a reason why most students don't go into Cleveland on weekends. Because of the world famous Conservatory, there are so many classical and jazz concerts, as well as the 'Sco which has live bands and DJs every night. There are usually a couple parties per weekend but they get shut down around 2.

Simon

I couldn't be happier with my choice of college. Academically and socially it was the perfect place for me, and I think, despite its reputation, a wide array of people could comfortably fit in.

Like I said before, people are smart. That is something I liked about Oberlin very much. In terms of the 'academic-makeup' of the student body, I don't think there is anyone who wouldn't fit in. I was friends with physics majors, art majors, politics majors, creative writing majors, music majors, etc. There is no type of student that dominates the student body. I would say, however, the while ethnic and personal diversity is abundant, geographic diversity is not. At least 75% of the people I knew were from either the NY metropolitan area, or California. NYC and San Francisco alone make up a large portion of the student body. Can't think of anyone I knew who was from the South. Also, as an Alum, I can safely say that while Oberlin does trumpet its success in sending students on to higher degrees, I knew few people with such aspirations. But perhaps that will change once they see their UG degree won't get them far by itself.

Oberlin loves to talk about how more of its graduates go on to get masters or PHDs than any other institution. This may be true, but I think it is misleading. The reason that so many Oberlin graduates go on to get higher degrees is because a degree from Oberlin alone is not worth much. I'm sorry to say it, but in my experience, few if any employers have heard of Oberlin. The name does not carry much weight, and if people have heard of it, its not for the kind of reasons you want when you're applying to a job. HOWEVER, I do believe that institutions offering higher degrees do look highly upon an Oberlin degree, and in this regard I do think that going to Oberlin can help you, not only in receiving a fine education, but in maneuvering into a well-respected masters program.

Hippies/Hipsters: When I arrived, there were lots of hippies. When I left, there were lots of hipsters. I would say this stereotype is generally accurate, although your idea of whether there are 'lots' of either will depend on your tolerance of them. People who hate hippies/hipsters seem to think they are unavoidable, when in actuality you don't have to see them if you don't want to, for the most part. Ultra-liberal: I will say that I met few if any 'conservative' people on campus, but most of my friends were quite moderate liberals, if not moderate overall. I rarely interacted socially with people who were ultra-liberal and outspoken about it. Lots of gay people: Again, 'lots' will depend on your experience. Certainly, I would assume, more than at other schools, but that is a good thing, no? When I say 'more than at other schools' we're probably talking like, 4% of students at most.

I was shocked at how challenging the academic atmosphere was when I arrived, and pleasantly surprised at how intelligent most people were (with some exceptions). I went to a good high school, and was always lazy about academics, and was able to glide through with decent grades without doing much. Then I got to Oberlin, with few if any serious aspirations, and realized I would need to get my act together If I was going to do even remotely well. I credit Oberlin with seeing the potential in people, placing them in a challenging environment, and expecting them to live up to expectations. I loved 95% of my teachers and was genuinely in awe of their abilities. As much as I loved Oberlin in other regards, without the legitimacy of the education that I got It would be a completely different story.

Hippies, hipsters, ultra-liberal, lots of gay people

Whether your fancy involves playing dungeons & dragons, studying, hanging out at the bar, seeing concerts, or getting blackout at a house party, you'll find your scene. The myth that people don't go out and have parties is so far from the truth. I can't remember a single saturday or friday night where I didn't have something substantial to do. During slower parts of the semester (in terms of workload) you'll find people going out any day tuesday through saturday. Oberlin IS 'cliquey', but these cliques are large. Hipsters/art students hang out together, athletes hang out together, and etc. These groups rarely mix, either. You will NEVER see an athlete at a hipster party or vice versa. And in fact, these groups can tend to be snobbish and selective, despite each scene involving dozens of people.

Jordan

Anyone who isn't open to new experiences or ideas shouldn't come to this school. It is an institution that encourages individuality and self-discovery, so anyone who has no interest in either should steer clear.

We are given the month of January to attempt/complete a project of our choosing. So, we get an extra month before classes start and an opportunity to experience something that we normally wouldn't have the chance to do so.

In that big transition between leaving your old life and starting a new one, don't forget about who you are in the middle of it all. When you come home, everything there will be the same, and everything at school will be new. But you will always be who you are, don't be afraid to let people see that bright personality. Let things play out naturally as they should, and you'll be alright.

Julian

I would tell myself to stay calm, and not get stressed out. Things seem new and scary, but college is infinitely better than high school, and your fellow classmates are in the same position as you. They only want to make new friends, and have fun, just like you do. As long as you work hard, college is a great experience, full of new knowledge and experiences, and, regardless of not knowing what career you want, a totally worthwhile experience.

The small class size, combined with the quality and accessibility of your Professors.

Someone who is uncomfortable with individuals very different from themselves, who are certain they want in a career in business, or who wants access to a booming social life, or to a city like New York or Chicago.

Andrew

The range of diversified talents, opinions, and concerns for political and environmental issues.

Conservatives, blue-collar folk, lower class people, closed-minded folk, people who grew up without a silver spoon in their mouths.

Don't settle for your dreams, and consider that your love of music extends beyond vocal performance. Also, that academics are well within the realm of possibility so they should not be traded in place for what is apparently a simpler, more carefree college major. There are not enough opportinities in life to peer into the future, so there is no way I could have known this as a high-schooler. I would have consoled myself that everything would work out for the best, and that it was never too late to believe in myself and try hard to accomplish some particular dream. More than anything, I would go back in time and encourage my old-self to audition for Berklee instead of Oberlin, but I do not have any regrets.

Sesha

Oberlin College is a premier liberal arts school with a vibrant history of activism. I chose this school because my values are similar to the values of the majority of the students. The students and faculty of this school really care about the world we live in and try to nurture its progress. Oberlin takes a stand against environmental degradation, takes steps toward green energy, and trains its students to grow and change the world for the better. As the first college in the U.S. to admit students of color and females, Oberlin is truly one of a kind.

Looking back on my younger self, I would stress the importance of self-control. I would tell myself that yes, college will be fun, but there is plenty of time for fun after you make something of yourself. It is not enough to get adequate grades and attend classes regularly. You must make goals and identify the steps that are needed make progress. Dear me, do not be tempted to join in the revelry of the typical college student on a daily basis. You will have fun, that is guaranteed, but more importantly, you will LEARN. Do not take learning lightly. The knowledge you obtain during your first semester at college will be extremely valuable. Listen to your professors rather than your peers. They know what it takes to succeed and they will help you. Also, just because your parents are not watching your every move does not mean you are allowed to go crazy. Recognize that all your hard work getting into college has not ended. You are progressing towards your career. Hopefully, people will pay you for something that you actually enjoy doing! What a wonderful idea. Don't lose focus. You are just beginning.

I wish I had known how to manage my time more efficiently before attending this school. College can introduce several temptations into a person's life and it is hard to make smart choices while keeping in good academic standing. Parties, new friends, an entirely new environment, and especially newly acquired independence can make for a tough first year. I am glad that I was raised by fairly strict parents who were able to keep me out of trouble for the most part, but the lack of independence in high school did not prepare me for the world of college.

Jason

Something unique that I have seen in my time at Oberlin is the continual student and institutional support for environmental events, causes, and practices. There are many examples of this: they range from pioneering ecological design practices, to purchasing local food for the dining commons, to requiring all new buildings on campus to be LEED certified, to community service for green causes. Oberlin runs a farm purely through student volunteer work, which benefits from many environmental efforts. Overall, I would say the degree of awareness and the number and quality of environmental initiatives could not be found at another school.

Dear Jason, We have some things to discuss: first, do not think you know all the answers, even some of the answers. Okay, perhaps you know one or two, but don't expect them to be universally accepted. You are about to discover a cacophony of new views, beliefs, and influences, and you should not let yourself be trapped in the dead shell of lifeless ideals. Nevertheless, stay true to what you know, what you believe, and make modifications modestly, slowly, and with the utmost thought. Many teachers and students are going to challenge what you believe and why you believe it: be prepared with all your logic and creativity to unearth the truth behind anyone's most confident convictions. It is easy to get lost in the endless maze that is college intellectual life. Do not perish in some dusty dungeon, but erupt in all your vibrant colors. Though you do not have the key to Truth, and may only find yourself a few steps down the path to that bolted door, do not doubt you are treading toward it. The cacophony may be loud, it may be boisterous, but have the courage to make of it a symphony.

Tess

Given the chance to talk to my past self, I'd remind her to relax and try stepping outside of her box when she got to college--that the most important part of the college experience is the people you meet and the personal growth you go through. I got involved in many activities right away (working for the campus paper, joining an improv troupe, taking an Experimental College class about superheroes), but I didn't open up emotionally to the people I met through those activities. They were fascinating people, but I worried that we wouldn't understand each other. For instance, I've never been to a "real" party (with alcohol), so I don't know how to act at one, and I was worried I'd accidentally offend one of my new friends if I went--so I avoided invitations entirely. In my desire to avoid any awkwardness, I was, I realize now, too cautious; in trying to avoid uncomfortable situations, I limited my own growth. Therefore, I would tell my younger self to feel free to experiment and not to be afraid of mistakes: people don't mind much, and they're worth getting to know.

There's too much to do: lectures, concerts, ExCos, comedy shows, recitals, panels, visiting speakers--and socializing--and classes. Seriously, though, if you don't make an effort to hang out with people, it won't happen much: everyone is busy with their own very interesting things and you'll have to schedule it in to some degree, especially at first.

People aren't as Type-A as I was afraid they would be--there's a lot of the hipster vibe here (very different from a hippie vibe, but just as far from the stereotype of the overachiever). Most people work hard, though, and LOVE what they're studying. Also, it really *is* very easy to avoid "party culture" if you want to--but on the other hand, not all people who party are stupid, immature jerks. Fancy that.

Holland

A sociopolitically active and creatively inclined liberal Mecca.

A sociopolitically active and creatively inclined liberal Mecca.

People who are not interested in learning and/or stepping outside of their comfort zones.

Dear Holland: Keep breathing. Life is not about getting straight A?s: it?s about what you learn on the way to achieving what you most desire and I know that what?s really in your heart is far beyond answering every question ?right.? Also: stop trying to be someone you?re not. You know exactly who you are so go be that optimistic, creative, loving human being no matter what people say or do in response to you. Don?t worry about people hurting you because you are strong enough to handle whatever life throws at you (I know that?s hard to believe, but you are and will continue to be stronger than most of the people you believe are ?doing it better?). Lastly: trust your intuition because it?s what led you to Oberlin. You DO belong at this school so stop saying you?re not smart enough! You knew that this college was going to give you opportunities you never believed were possible and, believe me, it's going to do that and more.

Oberlin College administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.