Oberlin, OH
Oberlin College

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Oberlin College

I would have told myself to start seeing more new people outside of school in order to relearn how to make new friends. Although I made new friends in my senior year, I most certainly did not go outside my typical social circle and actually pursue activities with them outside of class. I wish that I had done this because it would have helped me be more social in college. I do have friends, but I am still sticking with just a few close friends and I don't really go out with them anywhere besides to meals. I would like to expand my social circle more, but in a small high school, I didn't quite remember how to do it.

Any person who wants to challenge society by being different, "weird," and sometimes just plain wacky. We do everything first, we wear crazy clothes and we're tree huggers. A lot of us are vegans and we are very politically active. There are few conservatives on campus, though you might find a libertarian if you search hard enough. We challenge normalcy and are extremely intelligent. If you're smart and you're the oddball in your graduating class, come to Oberlin.

There isn't really anything that I find frustrating at my school; I love it. I suppose the worst thing is honestly just cell service. The cell service in Oberlin isn't very good at all and that's the only part of Oberlin that is bad. Other than that, I love my school.

Mariko

Very friendly and helpful, and devoted to learning. They tend to be very imaginative and idealistic.

It is hard to do anything off campus without a car; there is little access to restaurants besides ones directly on campus, and there is not very much shopping within walking distance.

Don't worry if you don't get into your top choice school. The schools that accept you are the ones that will truly appreciate you for your specific skills and interests, and they in turn will be able to give you the most support in achieving your goals, even if they don't seem as prestigious as the ones that you most want. No matter where you go you will have a great time, meet great people, discover new passions, and learn a whole new way of looking at the world. I recommend meeting students from your prospective schools when you are trying to decide where to go,because they will be able to give you the best perspective on what kind of people go to the school and how happy people are there. Finally, make sure to get involved with campus activities as much as you can in your first semester, and don't be afraid to be friendly and outgoing with other incoming students. Everyone wants new friends, and you might meet some amazing people.

Jacob

I would keep my GPA higher, and work harder at music, my intended field. I am happy with my school choice, but should have applied to more schools incase I wasn't excepted to my current college. I would also tell my self to find out more about the school you intend to go to before accepting it.

Someone who is willing to work hard for one of the best educations money can buy. Musicians will find the conservatory perfect for anyone.

Someone who is looking to party and not worry about work.

Aries

Senior Patrick Willem's movie on Art Rental! For one night, at the beginning of the semester, the courtyard of Allen Art Museum fills up with students. That night is art rental. Students line up with tents, sleeping bags, board games and homework, ready to camp out all night so they can take home a priceless work of art in the morning. You can’t jump or cut in line, save a space or leave for any extended period of time. First come, first served. At 9:00, the museum opens and students come in to choose their pieces. Students can pick two pieces of art. The Picassos, Dalis, Matisses and Chagals go fast, but there are 400 works to choose from, so everyone can get something. No work has ever been damaged, lost or stolen. After they chose, volunteers and docents wrap the pieces, so student can carry them back to their dorms easier. It costs only 5 dollars to rent a piece of art. We want art to be for everyone.

Ma'ayan and Aries made a video about a day in the life of an Oberlin student. The film goes from breakfast at the Black River Cafe, class, practicing in the Conservatory, research with the Neuroscience Department and studying in the library.

Kiri

Liberals and open-minded students who are very comfortable and open about themselves

Somewhat issolated- not near any large cities or towns which limits options for shopping for weekend trips

Most college-bound students have an idea of what they want in a college- these requirements can be filled by many different universities. There is no "soul mate" school for every student. I believe every student will be happy at the school they end up choosing, so there should not be such incredible amounts of pressure on students to choose the school that is perfect for them. In the end, you only apply to the schools that have qualities that you find attractive. Therefore if you end up at one of these schools I believe that you will love it and the experiences that you have while there. It is not about finding the perfect fit but rather about keeping and open mind and knowing exactly what you want in a school.

William

Oberlin is full of people who believe that one person can change the world.

Oberlin is full of people who believe that one person can change the world.

I like to think that the college process is a lot like an ice cream parlor. There are going to be the flavors that most people want and that everyone has heard of, flavors that aren't for you, and flavors that will have you unable to decide which one to pick. My best advice is to keep an open mind about what you want. I didn't go to my first choice, and I couldn't be happier. There are so many places where a student can flourish, and in the end it's up to that person to carve out their own future.

Someone who is tolerant, active in their interests, and has a strong sense of what they want in life.

andrew

Carefully weigh your educational package, making sure that you are balancing a reasonable cost of attendance with a reasonable chance of success. But more importantly, you should feel comfortable at your school. Visit! Talk to real people: this will give you the best idea of how you feel and how others percieve the school. Even in the cornfields, some schools can have amazing opportunities while others in more urban areas can pale in comparison. College is an investment, so make sure that you're making a good decision. Then, when you get in, enjoy yourself and make the most of this experience. You can learn as much from your fellow students as you can from classes and teachers, use every resource available.

Kristen

One piece of advice for parents helping their children find the most suitable college would be to offer their opinions, but do not force them upon their child. A bit of advice for prospective students would be to avoid basing their decision upon what their parents want, but do consider their opinions and advice. Also, do not rule a school out because it seems too expensive to pay for; there are always resources available to help pay for college. One final piece of advice for choosing a college would be to visit the schools to which they intend to apply and choose the one where they feel most comfortable. This last bit, especially, will help to make the student?s college experience memorable and fantastic.

I would consider the diversity among students to be the best thing about Oberlin College. With such a diverse student body, there is little discrimination based on race or gender. This makes it easy for students to be comfortable with themselves and others with little judgment.

Sam

Going to Oberlin is a good four year holiday of irresponsibility and childishness. The faculty is pretty aloof. OSCA is a good place to make friends. All in all, you're pretty much on your own. One of the things I truly hated about the place was the ease with which faculty members pursued students for sex--and nobody batted an eye.

The student body, by and large, is pretty neurotic. The only people I knew who had any chutzpah were the drug dealers.

Oberlin is an easy place to crack up. It's cold in the winter, isolated, peopled with fellow young adults who are on permanent caffeine jags and who just won't shut up about their latest obsessions. When I was a senior, we were having a meeting of all the student teachers of beginning creative writing. One of my fellows was complaining about a student who was continually late with their assignments. The advisor said, Well just tell him he's going to have to pull an all-nighter like all of us have done. I piped up and said, I've never done that. My remark was met with dead silence. At Oberlin, it is a matter of pride to be busy.

Let's just say that if you are a somewhat shy introvert, you are going to lose your mind at Oberlin.

It is very easy to skate through, riding the proverbial "B." Having intellectual conversations in the middle of Tappan Square during a snow storm is pretty pointless--or having one just about anywhere, at any time as well. People are way too serious.

Student activities are often frenzied. People keep trying to cram more and more 'experience' into their days and nights. Be careful of burnout.

Oberlin students can be overly earnest and self-indulgent; if you can put a clever spin on your behavior, then it's okey-doke.

The campus is full of many interesting artistic poeple who are very passionate about their work. When Oberlin Students want something they go for it with 150%. This can be seen through our colleges Green Initiave, The Seed house, and our Eco Olympics. The Collge is incredibly green and enviromentaly concious.

Make sure you visit all the colleges you are seriously considering, and if possible spend the night in a dorm room with a current student. Also go to classes that my interest you and contact professors if you have questions about their teaching methods etc... A brochure or website can only tell you so much, expiriencing the institutuion first hand is what really makes the difference.

The College turns a blind eye to the high amount of dangerouse and detromental drugs used at this school. Many people need a time to experiment, but so many of the students seem burry themself in drug use as a way to deal with the intense academic pressure. As an RA I have seen this strongly and negatively impact the building of community.

Oberlin College administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.