Oberlin, OH
Oberlin College

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Oberlin College

I would think either for the music conservatory or for our reputation of being a liberal and "green" institution.

That we had such a fabulous neurology program. If I had known, I probably would have participated in the double degree program where you obtain a bachelor of music from the conservatory and a bachelor of science (or arts) from the college.

Kristen

Aim for a college that just feels like a good fit all-around. Academically, culturally, whatever your values are or whatever excites you and keeps you motivated. In high school, you're with a big mix, but in college, they start narrowing you down--most of your peers in college will already have something in common with you along the lines of their SAT scores and GPAs. Classes will be geared toward your academic group. Especially if you find a school that's a good cultural fit as well, you'll find that everything in campus is geared toward your demographic--classes, extracurriculars, social activities. The whole place begins to feel tailor-made to you. Once you've found your fit, everything will just fall into place and you'll have an eye-opening experience that, hopefully, helps to make you a better YOU.

The worst thing was probably the remoteness of it. The college and the town it's in are surrounded by farmland for a fair bit. On the other hand, it's less than a twenty minute drive to get to Cleveland and there are regular shuttles if you crave city life.

That even though it's a rigorous academic environment, I'd actually come to ENJOY that so much more than I imagined! It was challenging, sure, but totally worthwhile. I had art history classes where I got to handle REAL Picasso sketches, English classes with discussions that fascinated me and I'd be thinking about for weeks later, and even outside class--just having off-the-wall philisophical debates with peers in the middle of the night was a blast.

Ariela

Oberlin allows you to find your niche, nurture it, and develop yourself into a full person.

Oberlin has an extremely progressive history. It's known for openly challenging the status quo and taking deliberate steps to change it. It was the first American institution of higher learning to accept women and African Americans and it is now leading the country in green initiatives.

Visit the college. Speak to students, sit in on classes that pique your interest, and attend a concert or party to get a sense of the scene. Be honest with yourself about whether you would be excited to spend four years there. If you are debating between a few, make a check list for each one and weigh your priorities with what each school offers. Is the social environment too judgemental? Did the classes seem challenging? Do the living options suit your taste? Once you have decided and been accepted, you may be overwhelmed with the number of extracurricular activities that you can choose from. I would encourage you to be realistic. Choose a reasonable courseload that will allow you to enjoy life and excel at classes. Choose activities that supplement your interests and serve a more enriching purpose, such as an athletic outlet. Friends will come through shared experiences and activities, and you may not find best friends right away. Be up front with your roommates to avoid lingering problems, and address your professors directly with questions, concerns, or for advice on paper topics and structure. They're there to help you! Figure out how to get enough sleep.

Josh

They are passionate, artistic, politically aware and active, and motivated.

They are passionate, artistic, politically aware and active, and motivated.

People tend to be so "open-minded" that they become closed-minded. If you are not as liberal or "open-minded" as the main, you may get reamed by some of the student body.

Finding a college that has a great program for what you are interested in is absolutely important. However, equally if not more important (and all too often overlooked) is finding a school where you can live happily for four years of your life. If you can walk through the campus and say "I can be happy here, I can live here and enjoy it", this is the first major step to finding the right school. For me, Oberlin has a great theatre department, but is not exactly known for it. I knew walking through that I could live there, though, and everything else fell into place. The classes and department were perfect for me, and I love learning there. The departments are fantastic, but I would not be doing as well as I feel I am if I were not as happy at Oberlin as I am. So remember to ask yourself, can I be happy here? Do I want to live, learn, and grow here for four years? That's the key to a good college experience, in my mind.

Deborah

Liberal, open-minded learning environment. Emphasis on student's experimenting with ideas, global citzenship (social, economic and environmental awareness). Music conservatory.

When you visit, try to get a sense of whether that school has the right social environment for you - do people like to have fun in the same ways as you do? The social aspect of things makes a huge difference in your overall college experience. Also, I don't remember a lot of the content of what I learned in college, but my school taught me how think about problems. Look for a school where professors are accessible, and will encourage you to engage with the material, no matter what your learning style.

Oberlin feels pretty isolated, even though it's close to Cleveland. If you don't have a car, it is difficult to get out of town.

Christina

The co-op system (people can choose to work and make their own food instead of going through campus dining), how easy it is to be a double degree student in the conservatory and the college, how accessible the conservatory is for non-conservatory students, and the ExCo system (students teach students for academic credit)

That there were more hipsters than I possibly could have imagined, and that musical theater was not taken seriously by the administration.

Be honest about what you want in a college - names definitely aren't everything and finding the right fit should be based solely on what you want to get out of college. Visit the schools and talk to as many people about the school as you can. Don't be afraid to ask seemingly "stupid" questions - this is your college experience, and parents, your're paying for it, so ask away! While at college, get involved in the things you love to do - go to all of those orientation activities because most of them will really help you out.

Helena

Its liberal, progressive past, the Conservatory of Music, and the sciences.

Its liberal, progressive past, the Conservatory of Music, and the sciences.

Don't let anyone tell you which college you'll enjoy most! Make sure you take the time to weigh all your options and form your own opinions about different schools. Talk to students and professors; spend time on campus. Knowing what you'll feel like living and studying in the college community is the best way to ensure that you're making the right choice. Once you're in college, stay organized, stay healthy, and most of all, stay in touch with family and friends from home. These things will make your life ever so much easier when you're away from home.

The dedication and intensity of students and professors.

I am in the music conservatory which is vastly different from the college. Most of the college students came to Oberlin for the liberal campus; therefore, there is a lot of activism throughout. The students in the conservatory came for the music program, not the politically charged campus, and act a bit differently. I would say that most of the conservatory students are liberal, but tend to follow a less radical form of liberalism.

Oberlin is a very liberal school that preaches acceptance, but tends to look down on students whose opinions differ from the more liberal way of thinking. The more conservative students at the school tend to have to keep their views to themselves because some of the other students will chastise them for their opinions.

Parents and students need to understand that it sometimes is not easy to find the right college and it takes time for college to fall into place. I know this because I am a transfer student and had to go through many experiences before I found a school that was the right fit for me. After spending my freshman year as a voice performance major in a small university, I realized that the school I attended was not going to give me the academic and performing stimulation that I desired. Unfortunately, I decided this in the spring semester when it was too late for me to apply to another university. Therefore, I attended community college for a year while I worked on finding the right place for me. I wont deny that this period was difficult for me. I spent a year and a half in self-doubt about my singing abilities and wondered if I was not good enough to get into another music school. Instead of letting my doubts take over, however, I seemed to given a renewed drive and worked extremely hard to make my college experience work. I am now extremely happy with where I study.

Oberlin College administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.