Oberlin College

« See more reviews of Oberlin College

The student body is not as diverse as you would expect from a school this open-minded. Idealologically, most students are liberal, but there are enough moderates/economic majors to foster lively debates. There are a lot of students from big cities, which makes for very interesting people watching in a small town. People who are jocks through and through sometimes have a hard time fitting in here.

The most annoying thing about the student body is the large population of people who are actually pretty comfortable financially but adopt this poor persona to seem cool or something. I don't really get it but it can be annoying when people judge you because you went to private school or have a car or whatever. That said, everyone is cool, especially if you call them out for being an ass.

Oberlin has the widest variety of identities I've seen in a group of people our age. I come from New York City (as do many other students), so I don't see or expect the same amount of racial or cultural diversity as I do at home. I am always surprised by the diversity of style, sexuality, class and personal beliefs. I've learned so much about myself by getting to know my peers at Oberlin.

Liberal is the main factor. We have many LGBT students, as well as many religious organizations (although they are not extremely popular). There are some jocks. Very few conservatives. International students from many different areas. Nerds of all types. Many musicians. Almost everyone interacts. A lot of people who do drugs, and lots of people who don't, but no one judges anyone.

Very Liberal! I think most students are middle-upper middle class. People don't talk about their money that much like they do at school in the North East. A lot of the richest kids happen to live in Harkness (one of the hippiest dorms) and look the least put together. You wouldn't know until you see them step into their mercedes or when their parents come to visit.

HUGE LGBTQ community at Oberlin. It's fantastic. Many gays, many vegans, vegetarians, musicians, nearly everybody either plays an instrument, acts, plays a sport, or will go on to cure an incurable disease. But don't feel intimidated, all are welcome. Oberlin thrives and starves off its students acting as differently and away from the mainstream as they want.

I think that Oberlin is a little segregated due to program housing (Asia House, African-American Heritage House, German House, Jewish House, etc). I think the program hoses promote segregation which is really an issue. Additionally, it's so unlike Oberlin. We are such a liberal and open-minded institution yet, we have a bit of a segregation problem.

Most of the students range between liberal and radical; there are very, very few Republicans. We have a lot of people from Boston, the DC area, and New York. In my experience there are a lot of LGBT students on campus and they're pretty much universally accepted. I might be getting a skewed picture because I'm part of that community myself.

I'm going to pass on this section. I know what I'm talking about in the other sections, because I've kept up quite carefully on that stuff. I've read UNIGO's summary and the things that other reviewers have written and it rings true for what was 35 years ago and in terms of my encounters with more recent Obies so you can probably go by all that.

Many of Oberlin's student body is made up of fairly wealthy people from New York and California. However, some diversity is allowed because of financial aid granted to students from poorer backgrounds. Also, though some of the students may seem spoiled, they do seem to be here for an education and want to make a difference in their lives.