Oberlin College

« See more reviews of Oberlin College

Oberlin College is perhaps best known for the Conservatory of Music, where generations of musicians and composers have cultivated their technical skills and demonstrated their talents for audiences around the world. This level of cultural intelligence and remarkable creativity permeates the entire student population, enlivening the school with a sense of exploration and purpose. Consequently, this progressive academic atmosphere attracts a world-class group guest speakers and performers, whose lectures, shows, and readings connect students to a broad spectrum of contemporary conversations and endeavors.

Music, definitely. But even if you just appreciate listening to music, you'll love Oberlin. The College of Arts and Sciences is also highly selective and the quality of instruction is phenomenal. An Oberlin education is priceless. As for most well known departments, I'd say the Neuroscience, religion, and creative writing departments are known to be strongest.

College football, school spirit. Absolutely strong alum network to help with intern and job placement. "Absolutely" meaning, there is no denying it. Trojan network is lifelong, almost psychotic in its commitment to procuring resources for next generation of Trojans. I don't even think the Ivy league schools have this type of commitment.

Oberlin has an extremely progressive history. It's known for openly challenging the status quo and taking deliberate steps to change it. It was the first American institution of higher learning to accept women and African Americans and it is now leading the country in green initiatives.

Music (Oberlin Conservatory), Civil- and women's- rights history (always co-ed, first to admit blacks), Environmental Studies Program and environmental awareness, scientific research (a lot and high quality for a small liberal arts college)

Liberal, open-minded learning environment. Emphasis on student's experimenting with ideas, global citzenship (social, economic and environmental awareness). Music conservatory.

Being very liberal, environmentally freindly, musical, welcoming and tolerant, a safe haven for people identifying with the Queer Spectrum

I would think either for the music conservatory or for our reputation of being a liberal and "green" institution.

Liberals and open-minded students who are very comfortable and open about themselves

Oberlin is known for its liberal-mindedness and high quality of education and music.