Oberlin College

« See more reviews of Oberlin College

Unfortunately, like everyone else, we are sometimes scared shitless. Oberlin is actually an extraordinary melting pot of personalities, talents, opinions and backgrounds. The students do generally come from intellectually rick backgrounds, from wealthy parts of the US, but there are many exceptions to this as well as all other generalizations. The presence of drugs and alcohol is in no way overwhelming but the carefree spirit of the student body and willingness to explore definitely becomes apparent in many freshman dorms and at parties on the weekends. Students balance academics with social activities well but take their studies very seriously. Especially the musicians on the campus, they are known to hole up and practice and can be expected to warrant a missing persons poster if you don't fully understand their habits. Some students do seem a little on the sexually frustrated side and the comments "there are no good male/female prospects" frequently show up on the oberlinconfessional website. But this problem seems to be more talk than anything and you can encounter both awkward and chivalrous wherever you go. Athletics at Oberlin was surprisingly more enriched than I had assumed and if you give it a change you will see that while we don't always have the best football team, students are actively involved in athletics, it's a growing program that is beginning to take an even fuller shape in the scheme of things and that there are unique athletic opportunities at Oberlin that exist in very few other places. To sum it up, Oberlin may be stereotyped as many things, and you may see some cases where those prove accurate, but out of any school you could think of Oberlin is probably one of the hardest to truly find a label for. There are so many positive experiences, people, and opportunities here that you can only define the awesomeness of the place by experiencing it yourself, not by what anyone else has to say.

All of those stereotypes exist on campus but not every student at Oberlin fits those stereotypes. Not everyone is an activist but most people have issues that they are concerned about. They may not march in protests on a regular basis but they try to affect their cause in other ways. While there is a liberal bias I think that in my time here Oberlin as a whole has become more aware of and ready to listen to conservative views. Finally, while there is undeniably a drug culture on campus there is no pressure to be a part of it if you don't want to be. Overall Oberlin is very accepting of who you are and what you're interested in.

Nope. Most people here are interesting-pretty. Not classically attractive, but definitely more of that lasting kind of attractive where, every time you see them, they seem to get better looking. We do spend a lot of time studying- Oberlin is an intensely academic school, but it doesn't kill your social life that you have to study. In fact, it enhances it! Also, pot is really easy to get here and a form of release many people use to chill out on weekends, but you can always find people who don't smoke if you're not into that sort of thing.

To some extent, yes. But while they are people who make their own clothes, don't shower every day and study environmentalism, there are also people who dress in business casual clothes, are registered as Republican voters and so on. There are a wealth of people and ideas at the school, but I think we all share a love of learning for its own sake, the desire to go out and make a difference in the world in whichever field we love so well, in whatever scale we can make a change. People are inquisitive and friendly and very humorous.

No. I find many of the students here to be friendly and "normal." There are a lot of gay couples but I am fine with that. The people that choose to be homosexual or bisexual make them no different from the heterosexuals. Lastly you don't have to be brilliant to get into Oberlin. Yes, the academics are difficult but I'm not the smartest person in the world and here I am.

People here definitely are very liberal, but few people would call themselves "hippies". That being said, many have dreadlocks or walk barefoot, and like having fun in wacky and socially inappropriate ways. There really isn't any more alcohol use thzn other colleges, but pot is fairly common. Other drugs are probably used at the same rate as other colleges.

Not really. There are some people with conservative outlooks. There are also some people that have really liberal views on one subject and conservative views on another, depending on their past experiences and backgrounds. There are some hippies. They're great.

There are a good number of "hippies," but there are also plenty of other types of kids. Not everybody smokes weed. The campus is definitely liberal leaning, but most college campuses are. Overall, Oberlin kids can't be grouped under one category.

Oberlin is a comfortable atmosphere focused on learning, not on what one is wearing, who their parents are, how much money they have...so one does often experiment and come to have a greater understanding of who they are, sexuality included.

to some extent...but we got em all. Jocks, science and math nerds, a few conservatives here and there. But after coming here...you realize everyone in this whole world is weird, so who am i to judge stereotypes?