Oberlin College

« See more reviews of Oberlin College

I'm getting too tired to write much more. Basically to sum up the social scene. If you're involved in things you're hot, if you're like me, cross country running makes you a fine (hard to catch) catch. Your door is open if you remember/find your doorstop otherwise, knock and you shall be received. There are so many things to go to, take advantage of as many musical, theater, art, athletic, and club events as you can and you will be happy as a clam. We have world renown speakers and musicians all the time. That's not something to pass up. The music is HOT. The people are HOTTER. Your friends are the people you meet down the hall who own the xbox, the people you meet who like to watch corny youtube videos with you, the people you meet in class who like to complain about the assignment due friday with you, the people you admire, the people you play sports with, the people who you jam with on the weekends. You can meet your closest friends anywhere. At 2 am you are either - at a party with your friends listening to techno and watching your friends act Crazy, at the dance club dressed in matching outfits with your best friend trying to figure out a way to get the lead singer to make out with you after the show, snuggling with your significant other, watching really lame yet hilarious youtube videos of gerbils eating broccoli or being a diligent student and finishing that paper in the 24hr study lounge with your music, cold pizza and/or cupcakes and the other kids in your class who need to finish that same paper. If you're not drinking you could be, sledding, urban climbing, tightrope walking, movie screening, running, playing video games, studying, at a movie, out to Cleveland, baking, making dorm mischief, dance party!, at a play/concert, schmoozing with your crush, ping-pong, tea party, water gun wars, taking a great shower, making your own hottub, writing a novel, life drawing club, learning something etc. etc. Off campus...go to the city. Bring some spending money and take your pick.

OC Democrats is quite large. Theater and Musical theater clubs are very popular and put on lots of shows, though our student theater spaces leave something to be desired (namely, more space). My favorite extra-curricular activity is choir. The conductor is awesome and everyone in the choir really loves to sing, and everyone's quite friendly. We make awesome music. Guest speakers are pretty common and popular, as is theater. Sports events...it's like they don't even exist. Except for women's rugby. And perhaps fencing and aikido. The dating scene is *awkward* I mean, we try, but sometimes it can be discouraging. A lot of people are shy. I met my closest friends eating in a co-op with them. The co-op system is really great. Also we live in the same dorm which is a program house. People party a lot, but it's low key, hang out and have a few beers in my friend's room kind of partying. Hardcore loud crowded parties definitely happen if you're into that, but there is no Greek life. And we're proud of that. Pot is almost as popular as alcohol. There is plenty to do on weekends if you're not into partying. There is always some performance going on- often several. But, if you're looking to go clubbing or do some sort of activity that's not on campus, Oberlin's not a good place to be. Stick to campus events- you can check out the events calendar on the Oberlin website, but even that's not complete.

There is so much to do on campus or in town that most people stay on campus over weekends. Some weekends I find I have too much I want to do and have to make decisions on doing work and attending plays or concerts, watching movies and occasionally attending parties. I also really enjoy attending lectures on topics of interest usually in the biology or classics departments but sometimes another department's lecture will catch my interest. Most lectures are well attended by students and faculty in the field of interest. Occassionally broader interest guest speakers come to campus and it often impossible to get tickets or find a seat at the event if you wait till the last minute. Athletic events are not a big deal for me. I've attended friends meets but never just gone out to see a game. However, the popularity of athletics games seems to be increasing. This past weekend I attended a Thorton Wilder play with some friends on Friday and came back to watch a movie with other friends. On Saturday night I went to an event called the "Wil'O Wisp Circus" which was a short performance by the Object Manipulation Exco advertising for the big OCircus in 2 weeks. I went to a friend's party after that. On Sundays I work at the reference desk of the Science Library and then attend mass. I had an exam on Monday so I spent the rest of the evening studying.

Tons of performing arts and music, ALL THE TIME. Oberlin's known for it, and were good at it. Try out for a show or go to a show. There are lots of sports, our swimmers and runners are quite good, but we're not division one. The Intramurals are more widely beloved and known on campus. Excos are awesome, one credits student taught classes. They can be on languages, dancing, karate, story telling, juggling, you name it. They are a great way to try something you've always wanted to in a relaxed setting, or teach a skill you have, and they can also get you among people you might not otherwise meet in your dorm or usual dinning table or major. There's lectures all the time, college and guest speakers -those are fun whether the subjects familiar or totally new. Movie are two bucks at the local theater, or a dollar at the film society, there's an observatory, a gym, a conservatory of music full of practice rooms and concerts and the Sco Club at the student union. The town is cute, but small, there are only a couple of restaurants; but you make friends with a few people who have cars and you can go tot he mall or Cleveland when you need a break. Mostly I was too busy to notice being in a small town.

My favorite thing about Oberlin is house parties with good bands. Athletic events are not that popular, but there was an increased interest at my second to last home meet. I'm used to nobody but the other team's parents (I think some of the school's in our conference have more in-state students.) being in our pool for meets, but this was exciting. Co ops are very cool. Even if you don't live in one, they are fun to visit and eat at. There are no frats or sororities, but aside from some sports teams, co-ops are the closest things we have to them. People live together, work together, eat together. It's great. Convocations are usually very cool. Like I said, concerts at Finney Chapel are mind-blowing. If you wanted to, I think you could party almost every weekend at Oberlin, but there are so many other things to do that there's no reason to go overkill on drinking and dancing. There's plenty of time for it, but there are a lot of other things. Aside from the concerts, there's always boggle, studying, and anything else. There are a lot of fun things to do without drinking.

Many people center their social time around the parties that happen every weekend, as I suspect happens quite frequently at most colleges. That does not come even close to describing the amounts of social activity going on at Oberlin. The number of campus events each day approaches mind-boggling. Indeed, if an activity or event dies due to lack of participation at Oberlin, you can safely assume that this happened because the students couldn't spare a few hours because of their involvement with some other set of events. In addition, having a strong conservatory attached to the college and a community of students who support all types of music means more concerts happen in a year than days. I would even bet that we have maybe an average of two or even three concerts a day.

Athletic events aren't so popular. Interesting lectures usually have high turn-out especially if the college tries at all to publicize them. I met my closest friends because they were either in my dorm my first semester at college or they were in my classes or both. We do not have fraternities or sororities. April 20th is a pretty fun tradition. Its one of the few times that north and south campus come together. Some people party, most people "party" mostly with their group of friends and extended groups of friends (as many as can fit in a dorm room). There are always activities that are going on that don't involve drinking. There's always DJs and music and dancing at the 'sco. There are usually multiple music or other performances.

Students leave their doors open more or less depending on what dorm you live in; athletic events are not popular, which is depressing; the dating scene is a joke, in fact people don't really date, period; I met my closest friends through sports and living next door; Oberlin has some legendary traditions including Safer Sex Night and Drag Ball; people party hearty on the weekends, though the College has been cracking down on off-campus housing; no frats/sororities; lots of things to do that don't involve drinking, like music at the Con, theater productions, dancing; off campus - nothing to do except the 4 restaurants and the one bar.

WOMENS RUGBY IS THE BEST THING ON CAMPUS. It makes you so proud to be a girl. The 'Sco is the school run bar/venue/hang out and its hopping most weeknight and some weekends. Weekends consist of pre gaming in your room and then going to overpacked house parties with school bands playing (which are ALL amazing) and running into everyone you ever hooked up with because, lets face it, Oberlin is a small school. Occasionally those people are of the same sex- but thats what's college is for, right?

We have great public speakers at Oberlin. We recently had Jerry Springer give a talk, we had Ishmael Beah give our opening address, and I believe Danny DeVito will open next year. I'm involved with the ultimate frisbee team, a club sport on campus. We throw great parties and try to maintain good relationships with other club sports like rugby. Rugby has a strong following at Oberlin, and our swim team is also quite good.