Oberlin College

« See more reviews of Oberlin College

What is the stereotype of students at your school?

We are fearless. That we are the black sheep of colleges. Kids who are Liberal, generally come from high-brow families with a strong intellectual backgrounds but who choose to rebel against their parents and social norms by experimenting with mind altering substances. Oberlin students are presumably outcasts, anti-social (socially incompetent), sexually frustrated, and highly pessimistic while still being incredibly high achievers in both academic and musical circles. Oberlin students may be classified as eco-warriors and ninjas. Also in laymens terms we are sometimes nerds, hippies, stoners, and hipsters. Oberlin is stereotyped as a non-varsity sport friendly environment where ultimate Frisbee and women's rugby replace the more traditional roles of football and baseball.

Stereotypes from the outside: That we're all radical, dirty hippies, or that we all play an instrument. Oberlin stereotypes of Oberlin: Everyone is awkward and has no social skills, that we all try so hard to be different that we're actually homogenized, that it's never sunny here.

That we're politically liberal, somewhat counter-cultural and have a strong bias toward hippie-like behavior (not showering, veganism, dressing not in a preppy fashion). They we work hard and are very conscientious.

That Oberlin students are outcasts. I also heard before my visit that there were a lot of homosexuals on campus. Lastly, I heard that only the smartest people get into Oberlin because the academics are so difficult.

One stereotype at Oberlin are that the majority of kids are hippies who smoke a lot of weed. The campus is seen as extremely liberal. There is also a stereotype that a large portion of the campus is gay.

That we're very liberal, fight for the causes we care about, and believe we can change the world. That we're alternative and very invested in the democratic process and equality.

Hippy, pothead, hipster, musician, wierdos, homosexual and your basic radical-liberal-hairy-armpit-treehugger-gay-till-graduation-feminist. good people = ).

Oberlin Students are all homosexual and that they are not very good with being social. Oberlin students are outkasts and the odd balls in society.

That we are all ugly hippies who spend a lot of time studying and just as much time smoking pot.

Hippies, cokeheads, hipsters, live-action role players, crazy Conservatory students.