Los Angeles, CA
Occidental College

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Occidental College

Additional Loan Options

Virginia

I love attending a small college-I've had so many more opportunities within the theater major that you dont' necessarily get at larger schools. The big thing that always gets me about Oxy, too, is that everyone is very friendly. The entire campus has a welcoming atmosphere, that is for the most part very genuine. Sometimes, however, opportunities for extracurriculars can be limited due to lack of interest. But being in LA-you can usually find other places to do something similar off-campus. Try breaking out of the bubble! Lots of students get stuck on just doing things on campus. But there is a huge city with every kind of activity, food, arts event, anything-right there! Downtown is a 15-minute drive away. And Eagle Rock has awesome inexpensive dining options and partnership opportunites for volunteering with public schools.

The student body is extremely liberal, so there are a lot of awareness weeks and social/racial/etc events year-round. We joke that every week is a different theme-"Asian-Pacific Islander Week," "Save Darfur Week," "Take Back the Week (Night)." There are also lots of cultural events on campus, from dance performance groups, speakers, comdians, a luau, asian-themed night market. Everyone is pretty chill-you are constantly meeting new people and eating with friends of friends. I interact with lots of different people on a day to day basis. It's also cool because although it's a small private school, a lot of people come from out of state or northern California. I've met lots of interesting people at Oxy, whom I will keep in contact with for years.

It depends on what you want from diversity. Do you want students and professors of different races and urban/rural areas? That much is true. But the thought process is all pretty much the same.

One of the reasons I love being at a small school is that you really get to know your professors and classmates. With the exception of a couple of intro classes that meet core requirements, almost all of my classes have had less than 20 students. Most classes are very discussion -oriented, and professors are very accessible for outside help, discussions, etc. I have had some amazing conversations with professors and other students stemming from class assignments. I was also impressed at how everything seems very integrated, all of my core classes (even science classes!) were interesting to me and connected to something else that I was studying in another class. The cool thing is that everyone knows that studying is a priority. People are very understanding if you have to decline to do something in order to study. We're all a little nerdy, even if it's deep down! The theater department is amazing-it's definitely a community. Everyone kind of hangs out in there, so you're always running into other students and professors. The department-produced shows involve as many students as possible, and student projects are often also going on. The New Play Festival in February is written, produced, acted, designed, stage managed by students, and directed by professional directors. It's an awesome networking opportunity, and fun to see classmates' plays being fully produced with lights, sound, costumes, etc by other students!

Oxy is pretty socially active, especially on weekends! Most weekend activities involve drinking, but you can find people who will do something else. It just takes a little longer to find out those people. I've planned several game nights amongst my friends-where everyone brings their favorite board game. Dorms are on-and-off social. Some are set up to welcome open doors and socializing. The newest dorm-Rangeview-has fire doors on all the rooms, so unless you find a door-stop, most doors are closed because they have to be propped open. The Cooler is a great place for hanging out-especially since the lounge area is now open all night. UNforunately Oxy sometimes sucks at scheduling, and several events (even of the same type!) are scheduled for the same time. There was one weekend where the theater department main show, a Glee Club concert, and the orchestra concert were all happening the same night. Clubs often schedule things at the same time, which gets annoying sometimes. But there are speakers and special performers brought in a lot. There doesn't seem to be much theater support outside of the department itself, which is a little lame, because we put on really good shows!

"Diversity." That the students come from all different backgrounds or races/nationalities. The problem being that this doesn't necessarily translate into diversity of thought.

It takes about 15 minutes to walk from any end of campus to the opposite corner. There are about 1800 students who, for the most part live either on-campus or within a mile radius from the school. There are many aspects of Oxy that remind me of my high school, such as the handholding the school provides to help guide their students through their four years, the wildfire gossip that bounces around, and the dances that are school-sponsored. Sometimes refered to as "the Oxy Bubble" for some of the annoyances that come with a small school, Oxy's a mix of positives and negatives. If those are aspects aren't your cup of tea, then Oxy might not be the best fit. Personally, the positives have greatly outweighed the negatives for my needs and desires in my undergraduate education. As tuition differences shrink between private and public colleges and universities, I'm grateful for the education and environment that Oxy has provided for me--things that I would undoubtedly not be able to experience or have at a bigger school. Oxy prides itself on the liberal arts education that they provide students, which really means that they have requirements that encourage you to explore fields that you wouldn't necessarily gravitate towards. Having a taste of many different fields--math, sciences, arts, humanities--has given me a better scope of fields and has helped me feel more comfortable talking about various topics. So in a nutshell, what's the best thing about Oxy? The diversity of courses you'll take, the diversity of people you'll meet, and the diversity of perspectives you'll gain. Oxy helps make you a more aware individual, which I think is as important (if not more) than the textbooks you'll read in class.

As mentioned before, Oxy is all about diversity. Additionally, it's four cornerstones of excellence, equity, community, and service are grounds to help mediate the different backgrounds and experiences that students bring. I think the most salient identity that could make some feel out of place is one's socioeconomic status. Oxy isn't cheap, but they provide amazing financial aid and scholarships to deserving students. With that said there are students who are paying the full tuition while others have a completely free-ride because of the awarded monetary aid. Los Angeles can be pretty expensive depending on your hobbies and interests and money can be a touchy issue at times. Otherwise, I think the school is relatively open to all forms of experiences as long as the individuals keep an open-mind to potential contradicting points of view. Dress ranges from heels and coach totes to shoe-less and pj's. For the most part, the standard SoCal jeans, flip flops and a summery top or t-shirt are the commonly seen outfits. Over the seasons you'll see uggs, sweatshirts/pants, summer dresses, and the like cycle through. Most students come from the West Coast with a large group of students from Hawaii. There's also a sizable group of international students who come for a year-long abroad program. I remember living in a dorm with a kid from Toyko during my frosh year. On the political spectrum, campus is fairly left and students are moderately to highly aware and active. Though there are Democrat and Republican Student Groups, there's room for more acceptance in this realm.

I personally loved my time at Oxy. If you ever have questions I think it's safe to say that you could always facebook someone and ask them questions. Most Oxy students are totally open to talk about their experiences and suggestions.

Yes and no. For the most part, the majority of the student body are democrats, there is a sizable group of conservatives. I guess one issue that will need to be dealt with over the next few years is to provide a better platform for differing political stances to have space to speak on campus.

All courses are taught by professors. Classes are at most 40 students large, but that's only the introductory courses. Beyond those course, the teacher-student ratio drops. I've been in a class with about 6 students, but it all averages out to about 12 students. Across the board (so regardless of classes for my major or ones to fulfill requirements), the best courses I've taken have been with professors who are excited about their subject. Oxy has a website to rate professors (www.oxyexchange.com) and a section within RateMyProfessors.com to find out what past students thought about particular professors. The ratio of in-class time to studying is generally a 1:2 ratio. So if a class meets for 3 hours a week, there's generally about 6 hours of work that you need to do on your own time. (I think that's the biggest difference from high school to college. The expectations are higher.) The library is a great resource for information/a fun hangout at night during exam time and has some great studying places throughout the four floors. Most classes encourage some sort of participation aspect, however it's less common in intro courses and science based course. All professors welcome questions both in and out of class. They are required to have and post their office hours and are easily accessable by email. Something that's cool about Oxy is that they help house all faculty to live within 5-10 minutes of campus. I've definitely seen some professors at the local eateries and grocery stores. It's common to continue class conversations outside the classroom itself, either with classmates or with the professor him/herself. There is a certain level of academic excellence expected by the school as well as within most students. However, the competitiveness usually stems from students themselves, so if you don't want to be then you don't have to. One of my favorite classes was Psychology 110: Intergroup Dialogue on Gender. It consisted of 12 students and 2 student moderators. We'd meet for 3 hours once a week and talk about our experiences through the lens of our gender while referencing readings. I had an opportunity to meet 11 other individuals and learn a lot about their perspective as individuals and in the context of their social identities (race/ethnicity, socioeconomic status, age, gender, sexuality). It was an elective course I took which also helped fulfill my major requirements as a psychology major. The psychology department as a whole includes an eclectic group of professors. They're generally very friendly, a bit quirky, each with different fields of interst and expertise.

The more involved a student is, the more social networks are available to them. Realize though, this is by means a requirement, it just makes it easier to make friends when you're involved in many clubs, teams and organizations. Many students are athletes either with the college teams or intermural leagues. Everyone attends football games and a huge group support the men's basketball. Other traditional events that happen every year are: Homecoming Dance, Homecoming Game/weekend, Toga Party, Doctors and Nurses Party, Sex on the Beach Dance, Halloween Dance, Dance Production Performances, Apollo Night, and many others. They range from completely social dances and parties to awareness events highlighting things such as LGBTQ and womens issues. People party pretty consistently every weekend and Wednesday/Thursday night. There's usually parties going on every weekend. If not that, there are local bars that many students frequent. The Greek community makes up about 10% of the student body. It's by means a requirement to go Greek to preserve a social life but it provides another strong community for students to find comfort with. The Greek system at Oxy is unique to its campus. There are 3 local sororities, one of which is co-ed. These local sororities are only at Oxy and tend to abide by slightly different rules than national Greek organizations. There are 4 other national organizations (3 frats, 1 sorority). Other non-drinking events to do on the weekend include great night markets around LA, bowling and campus sponsored events. Off-campus there are great museums (LACMA, The Getty, etc.) and comedy places. There are also a bunch of salsa clubs that allow 18+.

One stereotype is that Oxy is politically very liberal.

Kevin

Occidental has been an amazing place for me, and as I've been here, I've only grown to love it more and more. I love the size of the school; I think that the idea that a school can be "too small" is a complete myth, and I feel its nearly impossible to ignore the advantages of a small professor/student ratio. For example, in the last two years here, I've taken 14 units of independent study. This enabled me to work closely with a professor and craft a senior project that I am proud of and really feel I can call my own.

Oxy's student body is an interesting mix of people. I think we are known worldwide for our diverse students, and I know that a lot of people here think we aren't yet diverse enough and a lot of people here think its all a scam. The point is, there's a lot of discourse going on regarding these issues which makes it an exciting time to be here. With so many different types of people around, I don't think you can really feel out of place here any more than you would anywhere else.

I think that this can be accurate, but its mostly unfair. Anywhere you go you'll find people you think are sheltered and close-minded. Finding the people who aren't that way is the best part about meeting and getting close to people in any environment--thats the fun part!

As a small liberal arts college, the academics at Oxy are certainly more geared toward learning for its own sake, but thats not to say you can't find guidance in terms of a carreer while still at school here--you just have to go out of your way a little. I feel, though, that this really stimulates the intellectual community, the discussions in class and just around campus in general. More and more I feel like I'm going to a place where a lot of people are really serious about learning, something I think is surprisingly rare on campuses everywhere. A big factor in all of this is the fact that we are able to work so closely with our professors. I've never had a professor who didn't know my name (just this year as a graduating senior, in fact, I ran into 3 of them again who remembered me from my first year here and struck up a genuine conversation) and I know quite a few professors who I've never even taken classes with.

The social life at oxy is remarkably open to interpretation, if you can say such a thing. What I mean is that there isn't one type of activity or group of people who dictate what everyone has to do every weekend or every night. So many different things are going on and the coolest parts of LA are so close by, that there is always something different to do. True, that means that we don't have the biggest frat or sorority parties in the world (for which I am eternally grateful), but we have some, and if you don't wanna go, you won't be the only one on campus sitting around not playing beer pong every damn night. Museums are free all around us, Chinatown is 10 minutes away, all your friends at UCLA a short drive down the road--the possibilities are endless. When you get old enough, happy hour at the Yardhouse (think upscale Chili's with over 150 beers on tap and killer mini-burgers) and a movie at the Paseo in Pasadena is one of my favorite evenings--you can even get cheaper tickets in the student center in advance!

I think that a lot of people see oxy students as being naive and sheltered (living in whats called "the oxy bubble") probably because we spend most of our time on a small, very nice campus in the middle one of the most diverse and complex cities in the world.

claire

The best thing about Occidental is the location - Southern California. It can't get much better than the sun and beach. Occidental is a small school, 1,800 students, for some it's too small but for me it's perfect. I don't think a big school is necessary in such a large city like LA. When I tell people that I attend Occidental, they think they are being original when saying "Is that an accident that you got into Occidental?" or my personal favorite, "That's a dental school right?" most people have never heard of Occidental but the name is slowly getting out there. I spend most of my time on campus either lounging pool side, unfortunately in the library, or sitting beneath the trees with some friends. Occidental is a beautiful campus so anywhere with grass, benches, or trees is usually where you will find students. Occidental is located in Eagle Rock which has some small restaurants within walking distance but most people go to either Old Town Pasadena (5-10 min. drive) to shop or eat and then there is always downtown Los Angeles, Hollywood, and Santa Monica for the beach. Driving to these places always depends on traffic and in LA there is always traffic. There is so much to do here and you are sure to find people going off campus if you don't have a car.

Most students just wear jeans and a t-shirt but sweatpants are obviously seen around campus. Four tables: 1. football 2. sorority/fraternity 3. track 4. anyone Most students are from NorCal, Oregon, or Washington. Something like 60% are out of state, most of my friends are all from different places. I think every student is politically aware and most are liberal.

Classes are small usually about 10-30 students and professors are always willing to meet with you if you have a question. Keeping your grades up at Oxy is hard work. The library is pretty crowded especially when there are mid-terms, finals, and research papers due. The ratio for time spent in class to hours spent outside class doing work is 1:3. Some professors love to hear themselves talk so it can be hard to get your 2 cents in but other teachers encourage students to ask questions and comment on a topic. Being a freshman I haven't had the opportunity to take a variety of classes but the most unique class I have taken is a core class I am currently taking called Energy, the Earth, and Sustainability. We have read books and articles about renewable energy sources and for our research papers everyone chooses a renewable energy source writes 10 pages and presents a powerpoint. It is really interesting to hear about all these different solutions to our dependence on oil and the teacher is enthusiastic about the material, which always makes a subject easier. My major is Urban and Environmental Policy (UEP). UEP typically gets the rap of being the "hippie major". It is a really interesting subject especially nowadays with our finite supply of oil and politics being more concerned with energy bills than in previous years. Oxy is a liberal arts school so there are a few requirements: fine arts pre-1800 lab science other science/math other science/math fall writing seminar (CSP) spring global issues seminar (CSP) 3 of 6 areas: africa/middle east, central/south/east asia, europe, latin america, US, intercultural first year writing third year writing foreign language (up to 102) some of these requirements you can test out of with AP credits and the CSP seminars are taken during freshman year.

I am a member of the swim team and we are a pretty close knit group. The swim team and water polo team are like one, we sit together at lunch, do homework together, practice together, and party with each other on the weekends. There are always events and guest speakers on campus, whether it is a director of a movie or an author of a book that was required for class. Some hook up, some regret it, and some date for a long time. I met my friends just by being in my dorm and talking to people in my classes. Each year we have parties such as: Toga, Splatter, and the infamous Sex on the Beach. People party pretty often. Most students have classes on Monday, Wednesday and Friday so those are the designated party nights in addition to Saturday. Whenever someone doesn't have work (which is rare) they will probably celebrating. However, students at Oxy do know when to buckle down and study. Frats and sororities are not that important, some people join them to make friends or "to have that life bond". Last weekend I went to Hollywood for dinner at Swingers (super cool diner) and went to a club in Hollywood. On Saturday I went to the beach in Santa Monica and drove through the canyons in Malibu, and then went to a party at a friends house. On Sunday I like to be as lazy as possible so I got some tanning time in at the pool. There is a bowling alley within walking distance called All-Star Lanes, it has karaoke and if there isn't a party being thrown off campus then it will most likely be filled with Oxy students.

Oxy is known as being politically correct. Oxy students are very liberal not only when it comes to politics but in the way they dress and go about their everyday lives.

Tess

The best thing about Occidental is the academic environment that is sooo welcoming and comfortable while at the same time being very motivated. In addition, the location is another great aspect. You are literally 15 minutes away from Downtown and Chinatown (on a good traffic day!) as well as 10 mintues from Glendale, Los Feliz, and Silverlake not to mention Pasadena which is right next door. There are so many things to do on campus, so there really is no excuse for being bored. As for the size, I love it. I transferred here from a school in upstate New York that had 6,000 students and while even that was small compared to a state school, for example, the intimacy and community of this school which is a third of the size is really noticeable. It isn't however, claustraphobic and I don't necessarily feel like I am back on a high school campus. I still see people may not have seen before yet I feel like everyone know's everyone else. There isn't any "college town" but to me that doesn't matter because Oxy is located so close to all the nearby cities that it is like all of those are our "college town." The administration, in the instances in which I have dealt with them have been more than helpful but I do know that there is some red tape in terms of registration for classes and how that has changed as of this year. Many complaints are concerning the order in which students register for classes and many students who have been here feel they were cheated out of better registration times since now Freshman get first choice. As long as you know what classes you want and you make an effort to talk to the professors of the classes that you really want to take, the difference in the registration times isn't that big of an issue, at least for me. Otherwise, although I know that the board of trustees and their conservative outlook has been a point of contention for many students and faculty, especially since our last president left so aburptly last semster because of her inability to work with them in a progressive fashion, there isn't much I have to say about the administration. I guess what I have to say about Occidental is that I love it and I have such a positive feeling about this school and the direction that it is going in. I love being classes with other students that want to be here and that say knowledgable things and know what they are talking about and why they have the opinions that they have. This was not always the case at my other school. I truly feel proud to say that I go to Occidental.

Most students at Occidental are very liberal. We have a very diverse campus and I wouldn't want to give any wrong statistics about the types of people that go here. One of the most pleasing things I see is that all different types of students interact. There also isn't this feeling of having to dress a certain way or be a certain way that might alienate certain groups. I would say that everyone can be who they and they will be accepted. Actually, I would say that people just need to be themselves and that is how they will be accepted.

For the most part, this campus is very liberal in both their views concerning politics and the social environment here at school, but for the most part we are not snotty in our beliefs. Some may feel otherwise, especially if one is more conservatively inclined, but even at this campus, because diversity is so revered, there is a niche for them.

Most of the professors that I have taken classes from have known my name unless I didn't really feel it was necessary for them to know it. What I mean by this, is that there were some classes where I didn't really participate and didn't ask questions outside of class and if I had, I'm sure the professors would have recognized me. The fact that there were some classes I didn't participate in doesn't mean that I don't participate now. Since this is my second semester here, I have begun to say more in class, I think because I have gotten used to the atmosphere and felt more at ease. I've also realized that because I go to school with such intelligent people, it makes it easier to say things in class because everyone else is so willing to contribute to the discussion. For the most part, students aren't competitive in the sense that I might feel intimidated or worried that I am not getting good enough grades. Most people work hard at what they do and in they end they get good grades, but the whole school isn't spending every waking hour in the library studying. I just recently declared my major as Psychology and I am going to minor in Critical Theory and Social Justice. My advisor for Psychology is a professor that I had for my Methods in Psychology class so I know her and she knows me. She is head of the department and I really feel like she knows what she is talking about and will give me the best advice. As for spending time outside of the classroom with my professors, I've never done that, but certainly know students that have, including my roommate. The education here at Occidental is really aimed toward learning for it's own sake but that doesn't mean that the school doesn't provide plenty of opportunities to have internships and help you get ready for life outside of college.

A lot of people think that Occidental is a bunch of liberal, diversity-obsessed students.

Sam

A small liberal arts campus in the outskirts of Los Angeles opens up worlds of possibilities. The campus is small and comfortable, and the location is perfect for working in and around Los Angeles. Oxy functions as a school where the atmosphere is small so that the teachers and students can create connections impossible at larger schools.

Oxy's student body exists as a community. You get to know a majority of the students, and there is a sense of a common goal. Nearly everyone is willing to give a helping hand to other students, and because of this, while students strive for excellence, they also work to help one another reach their full potential.

The small class sizes and closeness of community make for an excellent place to learn for job experience or for just learning and expanding your mind. What else needs to be said?

Being in SAE has opened my eyes to the Greek system, but I'd say the social scene here is fairly mild. There are lots of events and school wide parties which enhances oxy's sense of community, also.

Oxy is a pretty great school- its quite small, so you have to be okay with that, the fact that there won't necessarily be really big parties going on every weekend. But then again, when you walk around campus, you will always see people you know and can say hi to.

Academics at Oxy are quite good, the classes are relatively small, and the professors will definitely know your name. There is a pretty limited selection of courses each semester but that's to be expected in a small school. Registration ca be tough-you have to really fight for the classes you want. A great thing about Oxy is that although it is an intellectual school, it is not a competitive school. The folks here are fairly laid back.

We live in a bubble-Not connected to the community

Sierra

Coming from a huge public school in Santa Monica, I was looking for a smaller place to figure out what my strengths and interests were that I wasn't able to develop in a huge school. Occidental is the perfect size for me. When I go to parties on the weekends I always see people I know, and not just people I have seen around but people that I have developed relationships with in the dorms or in classes. The best thing about Occidental is the people. There is such a huge variety but everyone really wants to be here. Every school has its problems and things that the student body complains about but there is no place I'd rather be than Oxy. I have made really great friends here and I can honestly say that I think my entire class will be excited to get together far after we graduate. While we are not a huge school pride school, school pride is never frowned upon. When there are football games or basketball games, everyone gets together to celebrate.

The student body is very open and accepting. We have fuctions regarding awareness and counciousness about LGBTQ and all different racial groups. There are a large amount of students that are very politically active but it does not dominate the discussion on campus which can be relaxing in comparison to other liberal arts schools.

I love Oxy. When it came time for me to chose where I would go to college I was only thinking about big UC's. When I realized I had no direction in what I wanted to eventually study in college I knew I would need a lot of help from college adults to find the right place for me. I wanted to go somewhere where people would notice if I fell off the map or was not in the right place academically. Oxy has huge amounts of support and has been the perfect place for me to move away from the comfort of my home and parents and in to a more independant place in my life. I have learned more about myself in the past two years that I did all of highschool and while that is to be expected at any school, Occidental's student body and faculty played a huge part in my positive expereience over the past two years. Also, I absolutely love Eagle Rock and being in a city. I am not surrounded by students all day every day. Families walk through Oxy daily with their dogs and children. High school students are often skateboarding on the outskirts of the campus and always remind me that there is a world outside of the "Oxy Bubble".

No. Unlike other small liberal arts schools, Oxy is in the middle of a the growing and very urban Eagle Rock which allows for daily opportunities to get off campus and into the world. Also, while Los Angeles and Oxy are very liberal places, there is a larger emphasis on respect for all political ideas and there is often discussion and debate without negative interactions or assumptions about different political views.

I know all my professors by name and they know my name. When I send them emails about a paper or an up coming exam, I can count on a response within twenty four hours, and its extremely personalized. They courses are rigorus but not extcurtiating and the professors legitamently want you to do well in the course. All the professors are really excited about what they teach and if you show interest in their subject they will be more than willing to help you figure out how you can do your best in their class.

There are tons of off campus houses that host parties every weekend. With the high percentage of upperclassmen living a few blocks off campus, there is a lot of opportunity to get off campus over the weekends to hang out even if you live in the dorms. While the "dances" at Oxy sound very middle school they are put on by students for various reasons and celebrations so it become more of a social gathering then boys and girls standing on different sides of a basket ball gym. Still, if dancing is not your thing, the offcampus parties are my personal favorite. There is always alcohol and music and there is never a "list" or people that are not allowed in, unlike many UC's that are dominated by fraternities. Also the offcampus parties are almost always within a block of the school, so no one ever has to drive and not drink if they don't want to.

Liberal kids in the "Oxy Bubble".

Jesse

Most people haven't heard of Occidental which is incredibly FRUSTRATING!! They ask question like "Occidental? Is that a dental school?" or "Did you get in by 'occident'?" Haha funny... no. Once you can get over that, the school is amazing. The classes are small and typically discussion-based, and the professors are smart and accessible. Not to mention, while this may sound silly, the weather is a huge boost. There is always something going on in the quad during lunch and everyone is always in good spirits. The music in the quad during lunch hour is guaranteed to perk you up. Huge paper due tomorrow that you haven't started? Don't stress - go write it on Stewie Beach and soak up the sun.

Oxy's ultra-liberal student body is incredibly accepting. No matter what race, sex, gender, ethnicity, religion, sexual orientation, or socio-economic background, you'll be accepted here. While the overly-politically correct atmosphere can sometimes be overwhelming, you will truly get the best lesson of tolerance you've ever had. Through this, you may even learn sometime about yourself. The Occidental College Democrats is a thriving club. The Oxy Republicans should be renamed the Oxy Republican because there is only one member. Rock on. The student body as a whole is pretty casual. While sun dresses are popular due to the sunny Los Angeles weather, if you want to roll to you morning class in sweat pants and a t-shirt, that's okay too. People won't judge you for what you wear here. The student body is incredibly diverse, not only in race and background, but also in thought. It is always rewarding to talk to someone new and find out about them. No two people at Oxy are the same.

While it may sound better to say you go to an ivy league school, that may often be code for "my professors are here to do research/teach in the graduate school and don't really care about me." At Oxy, the professors are here because they want to teach undergraduates at a small liberal arts school. Period. They are devoted. They are committed. Always.

Oxy's student body is shockingly athletic, mostly due to the fact that there is a sport here for everyone. Get involved and get active. Go watch the Rugby teams play - they're awesomely raw! There is a social scene for everyone, despite the small student body. If you want to party every night of the week, you can. If you want to go clubbing in Hollywood, you can. If you want to sit around with a couple of friends and do homework on Saturday night, you can. Don't think that because there are only 1800 of us we don't know how to party, but also don't think that you HAVE to party if you come here. Everyone leaves there doors open in the dorms. People are incredibly friendly and welcoming. The upperclassmen are always open to meeting the freshman and immediately invite them into the core social scene at Oxy.

Before I came to Oxy I heard that students quickly get coupled up and stop wearing shoes. These stereotypes are totally unrelated and totally true. Also, I heard that the student body is SUPER liberal and PC. This is also very very true and can be a great, modern lifestyle.

Austin

The best part of Occidental College is the prestigious academic record. Getting a degree from Oxy is an accomplishment and almost every student that goes here is bound to do well in the future. I would change the lack of present diversity, the support for athletic programs, and the registration process. The small college atmosphere can get annoying sometimes, becuase seeing the same people all the time is not the business. Yet, we are located about fifteen minutes from almost everything, so it is up to the student to get off of campus if they are tired of the same people. At the same time, I do not think that I would have been able to get the personal experience with teachers that have the credentials my teachers do if I went to a larger college. When I tell people that I go to Occidental they ask if it is a dental school. I spend most of my time on campus in the quad or the football locker room. The most unusual thing about Oxy is that it is as small as most high schools. So far an experience that I will remember is my trip with the football team for the NCAA playoffs to Spokane, Washington. There will be plenty more in the future. I plan to go to Rome to study abroad, get a summer richter grant to study in Europe, and participate in the United Nations internship. The most frequent complaint about Oxy by the students is the registration process. Classes are so small and sometimes it is difficult to get the classes that you want.

For the most part most of the students on campus are liberal, but there are a fair amount of moderates and conservatives. Most people are open-minded and that is where the stereotype comes from.

All my professors know my name and still talk to me after the class is over. My favorite class so far has been my Philosophy 330 class on Globalization and Justice. My least favorite has been Cognitive Science 101. Studying depends on your ability to manage your time. Class participation depends on the class and teacher. But for the most part it is college, people want to learn. Intellectual conversations are constantly occuring outside of the classroom. At least for me. Things about international relations, diversity, race, gender, ethnicity, meaning of life... The classes are challenging and therefore students compete with the class itself. Diplomacy and World Affairs is my major and department. The academics is geared toward expanding ones knowledge on the subject. And a huge emphasis on writing skills is present and makes students better writers.

Some stereotypes about Oxy students is that they are extremely liberal.

Occidental College administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.