Los Angeles, CA
Occidental College

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Occidental College

Daniel

Occidental tries to pride itself on diversity. it is, but not as diverse as it could be. the one thing that connects us all, i think, is that every single Oxy student is passionate about something. we represent LOTS of different interests, but everyone loves what they do. that creates a great "collegiate atmosphere." when i tell people i go to Occidental College, they are usually perplexed: oxy doesn't have very good name-recognition. people ask, "is that a dental school?" UGH. NO IT IS NOT!! We are a small community of people who genuinely love to learn. And learn we do! The professors here--for the most part--are excellent. There are some, of course, that i don't think are that great at teaching, but usually the profs are great.

all races and ethnicities are represented at oxy. we have religious groups, LGBT organizations, etc. i think that everyone could find people here who share experiences, histories, and morals with. We are mostly democratic/liberal, but there are a few republicans too. everyone at oxy is very easy going about most things, so we don't pick on the republicnans too much...as long as they know they are a minority and are wrong. HA. And people are EXTREMELY politically active. every single day at lunch in the quad there are tables set up where people are representing their causes and beliefs, handing out flyers, promoting events on campus, etc. The politics department is prolific in bringing speakers and guests to campus. most of those lectures are great, too.

Occidental (Oxy, as we call it) is GREAT! Seriously, great.

The professors at Occidental are great. professors ALWAYS know your name, as class sizes are small. participation is common in class, and is usually vital to the class' momentum. I suppose I can tell you a bit about the music department. First of all, there is ALWAYS something going on at Booth Hall, the music building. there are concerts almost every weekend, and often on weekdays too. the professors are fun, intelligent, and good at teaching. i've spent time with some of them outside of class time too, going to concerts that they put on in the community, etc. they are really cool people. I think that is an aspect about most of Oxy's professors: they are are professors AND real people, with real lives and families and interests. What's great is that they are willing to share that with you, and to get to know you.

We have frats and sororities here, and those are pretty popular. however, there is NO requirement or pressure to join one. I didn't. There are usually not too many parties on campus on the weekends; sometimes a couple dorms have been know to hold big parties, but they usually get broken up by campus safety pretty quickly. the weekend party scene generally happens off campus at the frat houses. Luckily, these are not far at all from campus (like, across the street). because the party scene is mostly removed, though, if you don't want to party, you definitely not pressured to.

Erin

While attending Oxy, I have come to realize that one's college education is really what you make it. My best experience by far on this campus has been my participation in the Undrgraduate Research Program. While there are strengths to learning science in the classroom, to make it come alive one ought to find something that they are truly passionate about and find a professor to help you study your passion. The real world is not about test scores or even really all the terms and such you learned for class. The real world of science is about discovery, making mistakes, and studying some aspect of life that truly fascinates you.

As a member of the LGBT community on this campus, I mst say that it is not the most welcoming campus for LGBT issues. While very few people here are out right homophobic, the majority of the campus is very unconcerned and unresponsive when it comes to LGBT issues and events on campus.

I think that for the most part they are. There are always improvements to making diversity more of a priority on this campus, but I think that when compared to some of our sister schools, Oxy offers the type of environment where concerns and change are more likely to occur.

My professors allknow my name. This can be both a blessing and a curse. For me, I attend all of my classes and give my best effort at all of them. The appreciation I receive from my professors is reward enough for me, no matter what my final grade is. If you are someone who is looking for a college where you can skip classes or get good grades really easily, this school is not for you. Every grade I have earned has been the result of really hard work. Some of the classes I have worked the hardest in have been the ones in which I have gotten the lowest grade. But I also learned the most in these classes as well. Oxy is not the type of college you can just cruise through. The education you receive here is worth every penny it costs to go here.

Partying here seems to be a must. Though most people don't party on the week nights, over the years I have seen a definate increase from when I first came here. Weekends, the only thing to do usually is get drunk and even at school dances at least 95% of the people there have parted somewhere else beforehand.

Occidental students tend to be some of the best and brightest this country has to offer. Over the years, Oxy has become more and more competitive. In addition the school prides itself on diversity among its student body, both in terms of race, religion, sexuality, and hometown.

Grace

People are friendly, the weather is perfect, you are in a major city but in a small community

Occidental strives to be diverse but like many small liberal arts schools is a majority white, middle class students. There are great cultural clubs on campus and many students who identify as LGBorT. Many students are from California (LA and Bay area) but there are people from all over including many Hawaiians, people from Seattle and the East Coast. The campus is predominantly liberal.

Classes are small and it's great. Lectures are personal and you will participate in discussion a lot. Students are competitive in that they care about succeeding but like to work together, cooperate on stuff, and are willing to help each other out. Students spend a lot of time studying and doing school work

Doors are almost always open in the dorm, people are very friendly and social. Oxy is not know for being a party school but it is not hard to find one on the weekend. Most athletic teams are very successful, so games are popular especially football and basketball. There are great guest speakers and performers all the time. Amazing programs put on by different clubs happen weekly. Dance production is a popular event that happens yearly. Oxy has a few frats and sororities but they are not a large part of the social scene and they are not your stereotypical Greek life.

Virginia

I love attending a small college-I've had so many more opportunities within the theater major that you dont' necessarily get at larger schools. The big thing that always gets me about Oxy, too, is that everyone is very friendly. The entire campus has a welcoming atmosphere, that is for the most part very genuine. Sometimes, however, opportunities for extracurriculars can be limited due to lack of interest. But being in LA-you can usually find other places to do something similar off-campus. Try breaking out of the bubble! Lots of students get stuck on just doing things on campus. But there is a huge city with every kind of activity, food, arts event, anything-right there! Downtown is a 15-minute drive away. And Eagle Rock has awesome inexpensive dining options and partnership opportunites for volunteering with public schools.

The student body is extremely liberal, so there are a lot of awareness weeks and social/racial/etc events year-round. We joke that every week is a different theme-"Asian-Pacific Islander Week," "Save Darfur Week," "Take Back the Week (Night)." There are also lots of cultural events on campus, from dance performance groups, speakers, comdians, a luau, asian-themed night market. Everyone is pretty chill-you are constantly meeting new people and eating with friends of friends. I interact with lots of different people on a day to day basis. It's also cool because although it's a small private school, a lot of people come from out of state or northern California. I've met lots of interesting people at Oxy, whom I will keep in contact with for years.

It depends on what you want from diversity. Do you want students and professors of different races and urban/rural areas? That much is true. But the thought process is all pretty much the same.

One of the reasons I love being at a small school is that you really get to know your professors and classmates. With the exception of a couple of intro classes that meet core requirements, almost all of my classes have had less than 20 students. Most classes are very discussion -oriented, and professors are very accessible for outside help, discussions, etc. I have had some amazing conversations with professors and other students stemming from class assignments. I was also impressed at how everything seems very integrated, all of my core classes (even science classes!) were interesting to me and connected to something else that I was studying in another class. The cool thing is that everyone knows that studying is a priority. People are very understanding if you have to decline to do something in order to study. We're all a little nerdy, even if it's deep down! The theater department is amazing-it's definitely a community. Everyone kind of hangs out in there, so you're always running into other students and professors. The department-produced shows involve as many students as possible, and student projects are often also going on. The New Play Festival in February is written, produced, acted, designed, stage managed by students, and directed by professional directors. It's an awesome networking opportunity, and fun to see classmates' plays being fully produced with lights, sound, costumes, etc by other students!

Oxy is pretty socially active, especially on weekends! Most weekend activities involve drinking, but you can find people who will do something else. It just takes a little longer to find out those people. I've planned several game nights amongst my friends-where everyone brings their favorite board game. Dorms are on-and-off social. Some are set up to welcome open doors and socializing. The newest dorm-Rangeview-has fire doors on all the rooms, so unless you find a door-stop, most doors are closed because they have to be propped open. The Cooler is a great place for hanging out-especially since the lounge area is now open all night. UNforunately Oxy sometimes sucks at scheduling, and several events (even of the same type!) are scheduled for the same time. There was one weekend where the theater department main show, a Glee Club concert, and the orchestra concert were all happening the same night. Clubs often schedule things at the same time, which gets annoying sometimes. But there are speakers and special performers brought in a lot. There doesn't seem to be much theater support outside of the department itself, which is a little lame, because we put on really good shows!

"Diversity." That the students come from all different backgrounds or races/nationalities. The problem being that this doesn't necessarily translate into diversity of thought.

It takes about 15 minutes to walk from any end of campus to the opposite corner. There are about 1800 students who, for the most part live either on-campus or within a mile radius from the school. There are many aspects of Oxy that remind me of my high school, such as the handholding the school provides to help guide their students through their four years, the wildfire gossip that bounces around, and the dances that are school-sponsored. Sometimes refered to as "the Oxy Bubble" for some of the annoyances that come with a small school, Oxy's a mix of positives and negatives. If those are aspects aren't your cup of tea, then Oxy might not be the best fit. Personally, the positives have greatly outweighed the negatives for my needs and desires in my undergraduate education. As tuition differences shrink between private and public colleges and universities, I'm grateful for the education and environment that Oxy has provided for me--things that I would undoubtedly not be able to experience or have at a bigger school. Oxy prides itself on the liberal arts education that they provide students, which really means that they have requirements that encourage you to explore fields that you wouldn't necessarily gravitate towards. Having a taste of many different fields--math, sciences, arts, humanities--has given me a better scope of fields and has helped me feel more comfortable talking about various topics. So in a nutshell, what's the best thing about Oxy? The diversity of courses you'll take, the diversity of people you'll meet, and the diversity of perspectives you'll gain. Oxy helps make you a more aware individual, which I think is as important (if not more) than the textbooks you'll read in class.

As mentioned before, Oxy is all about diversity. Additionally, it's four cornerstones of excellence, equity, community, and service are grounds to help mediate the different backgrounds and experiences that students bring. I think the most salient identity that could make some feel out of place is one's socioeconomic status. Oxy isn't cheap, but they provide amazing financial aid and scholarships to deserving students. With that said there are students who are paying the full tuition while others have a completely free-ride because of the awarded monetary aid. Los Angeles can be pretty expensive depending on your hobbies and interests and money can be a touchy issue at times. Otherwise, I think the school is relatively open to all forms of experiences as long as the individuals keep an open-mind to potential contradicting points of view. Dress ranges from heels and coach totes to shoe-less and pj's. For the most part, the standard SoCal jeans, flip flops and a summery top or t-shirt are the commonly seen outfits. Over the seasons you'll see uggs, sweatshirts/pants, summer dresses, and the like cycle through. Most students come from the West Coast with a large group of students from Hawaii. There's also a sizable group of international students who come for a year-long abroad program. I remember living in a dorm with a kid from Toyko during my frosh year. On the political spectrum, campus is fairly left and students are moderately to highly aware and active. Though there are Democrat and Republican Student Groups, there's room for more acceptance in this realm.

I personally loved my time at Oxy. If you ever have questions I think it's safe to say that you could always facebook someone and ask them questions. Most Oxy students are totally open to talk about their experiences and suggestions.

Yes and no. For the most part, the majority of the student body are democrats, there is a sizable group of conservatives. I guess one issue that will need to be dealt with over the next few years is to provide a better platform for differing political stances to have space to speak on campus.

All courses are taught by professors. Classes are at most 40 students large, but that's only the introductory courses. Beyond those course, the teacher-student ratio drops. I've been in a class with about 6 students, but it all averages out to about 12 students. Across the board (so regardless of classes for my major or ones to fulfill requirements), the best courses I've taken have been with professors who are excited about their subject. Oxy has a website to rate professors (www.oxyexchange.com) and a section within RateMyProfessors.com to find out what past students thought about particular professors. The ratio of in-class time to studying is generally a 1:2 ratio. So if a class meets for 3 hours a week, there's generally about 6 hours of work that you need to do on your own time. (I think that's the biggest difference from high school to college. The expectations are higher.) The library is a great resource for information/a fun hangout at night during exam time and has some great studying places throughout the four floors. Most classes encourage some sort of participation aspect, however it's less common in intro courses and science based course. All professors welcome questions both in and out of class. They are required to have and post their office hours and are easily accessable by email. Something that's cool about Oxy is that they help house all faculty to live within 5-10 minutes of campus. I've definitely seen some professors at the local eateries and grocery stores. It's common to continue class conversations outside the classroom itself, either with classmates or with the professor him/herself. There is a certain level of academic excellence expected by the school as well as within most students. However, the competitiveness usually stems from students themselves, so if you don't want to be then you don't have to. One of my favorite classes was Psychology 110: Intergroup Dialogue on Gender. It consisted of 12 students and 2 student moderators. We'd meet for 3 hours once a week and talk about our experiences through the lens of our gender while referencing readings. I had an opportunity to meet 11 other individuals and learn a lot about their perspective as individuals and in the context of their social identities (race/ethnicity, socioeconomic status, age, gender, sexuality). It was an elective course I took which also helped fulfill my major requirements as a psychology major. The psychology department as a whole includes an eclectic group of professors. They're generally very friendly, a bit quirky, each with different fields of interst and expertise.

The more involved a student is, the more social networks are available to them. Realize though, this is by means a requirement, it just makes it easier to make friends when you're involved in many clubs, teams and organizations. Many students are athletes either with the college teams or intermural leagues. Everyone attends football games and a huge group support the men's basketball. Other traditional events that happen every year are: Homecoming Dance, Homecoming Game/weekend, Toga Party, Doctors and Nurses Party, Sex on the Beach Dance, Halloween Dance, Dance Production Performances, Apollo Night, and many others. They range from completely social dances and parties to awareness events highlighting things such as LGBTQ and womens issues. People party pretty consistently every weekend and Wednesday/Thursday night. There's usually parties going on every weekend. If not that, there are local bars that many students frequent. The Greek community makes up about 10% of the student body. It's by means a requirement to go Greek to preserve a social life but it provides another strong community for students to find comfort with. The Greek system at Oxy is unique to its campus. There are 3 local sororities, one of which is co-ed. These local sororities are only at Oxy and tend to abide by slightly different rules than national Greek organizations. There are 4 other national organizations (3 frats, 1 sorority). Other non-drinking events to do on the weekend include great night markets around LA, bowling and campus sponsored events. Off-campus there are great museums (LACMA, The Getty, etc.) and comedy places. There are also a bunch of salsa clubs that allow 18+.

One stereotype is that Oxy is politically very liberal.

Kevin

Occidental has been an amazing place for me, and as I've been here, I've only grown to love it more and more. I love the size of the school; I think that the idea that a school can be "too small" is a complete myth, and I feel its nearly impossible to ignore the advantages of a small professor/student ratio. For example, in the last two years here, I've taken 14 units of independent study. This enabled me to work closely with a professor and craft a senior project that I am proud of and really feel I can call my own.

Oxy's student body is an interesting mix of people. I think we are known worldwide for our diverse students, and I know that a lot of people here think we aren't yet diverse enough and a lot of people here think its all a scam. The point is, there's a lot of discourse going on regarding these issues which makes it an exciting time to be here. With so many different types of people around, I don't think you can really feel out of place here any more than you would anywhere else.

I think that this can be accurate, but its mostly unfair. Anywhere you go you'll find people you think are sheltered and close-minded. Finding the people who aren't that way is the best part about meeting and getting close to people in any environment--thats the fun part!

As a small liberal arts college, the academics at Oxy are certainly more geared toward learning for its own sake, but thats not to say you can't find guidance in terms of a carreer while still at school here--you just have to go out of your way a little. I feel, though, that this really stimulates the intellectual community, the discussions in class and just around campus in general. More and more I feel like I'm going to a place where a lot of people are really serious about learning, something I think is surprisingly rare on campuses everywhere. A big factor in all of this is the fact that we are able to work so closely with our professors. I've never had a professor who didn't know my name (just this year as a graduating senior, in fact, I ran into 3 of them again who remembered me from my first year here and struck up a genuine conversation) and I know quite a few professors who I've never even taken classes with.

The social life at oxy is remarkably open to interpretation, if you can say such a thing. What I mean is that there isn't one type of activity or group of people who dictate what everyone has to do every weekend or every night. So many different things are going on and the coolest parts of LA are so close by, that there is always something different to do. True, that means that we don't have the biggest frat or sorority parties in the world (for which I am eternally grateful), but we have some, and if you don't wanna go, you won't be the only one on campus sitting around not playing beer pong every damn night. Museums are free all around us, Chinatown is 10 minutes away, all your friends at UCLA a short drive down the road--the possibilities are endless. When you get old enough, happy hour at the Yardhouse (think upscale Chili's with over 150 beers on tap and killer mini-burgers) and a movie at the Paseo in Pasadena is one of my favorite evenings--you can even get cheaper tickets in the student center in advance!

I think that a lot of people see oxy students as being naive and sheltered (living in whats called "the oxy bubble") probably because we spend most of our time on a small, very nice campus in the middle one of the most diverse and complex cities in the world.

claire

The best thing about Occidental is the location - Southern California. It can't get much better than the sun and beach. Occidental is a small school, 1,800 students, for some it's too small but for me it's perfect. I don't think a big school is necessary in such a large city like LA. When I tell people that I attend Occidental, they think they are being original when saying "Is that an accident that you got into Occidental?" or my personal favorite, "That's a dental school right?" most people have never heard of Occidental but the name is slowly getting out there. I spend most of my time on campus either lounging pool side, unfortunately in the library, or sitting beneath the trees with some friends. Occidental is a beautiful campus so anywhere with grass, benches, or trees is usually where you will find students. Occidental is located in Eagle Rock which has some small restaurants within walking distance but most people go to either Old Town Pasadena (5-10 min. drive) to shop or eat and then there is always downtown Los Angeles, Hollywood, and Santa Monica for the beach. Driving to these places always depends on traffic and in LA there is always traffic. There is so much to do here and you are sure to find people going off campus if you don't have a car.

Most students just wear jeans and a t-shirt but sweatpants are obviously seen around campus. Four tables: 1. football 2. sorority/fraternity 3. track 4. anyone Most students are from NorCal, Oregon, or Washington. Something like 60% are out of state, most of my friends are all from different places. I think every student is politically aware and most are liberal.

Classes are small usually about 10-30 students and professors are always willing to meet with you if you have a question. Keeping your grades up at Oxy is hard work. The library is pretty crowded especially when there are mid-terms, finals, and research papers due. The ratio for time spent in class to hours spent outside class doing work is 1:3. Some professors love to hear themselves talk so it can be hard to get your 2 cents in but other teachers encourage students to ask questions and comment on a topic. Being a freshman I haven't had the opportunity to take a variety of classes but the most unique class I have taken is a core class I am currently taking called Energy, the Earth, and Sustainability. We have read books and articles about renewable energy sources and for our research papers everyone chooses a renewable energy source writes 10 pages and presents a powerpoint. It is really interesting to hear about all these different solutions to our dependence on oil and the teacher is enthusiastic about the material, which always makes a subject easier. My major is Urban and Environmental Policy (UEP). UEP typically gets the rap of being the "hippie major". It is a really interesting subject especially nowadays with our finite supply of oil and politics being more concerned with energy bills than in previous years. Oxy is a liberal arts school so there are a few requirements: fine arts pre-1800 lab science other science/math other science/math fall writing seminar (CSP) spring global issues seminar (CSP) 3 of 6 areas: africa/middle east, central/south/east asia, europe, latin america, US, intercultural first year writing third year writing foreign language (up to 102) some of these requirements you can test out of with AP credits and the CSP seminars are taken during freshman year.

I am a member of the swim team and we are a pretty close knit group. The swim team and water polo team are like one, we sit together at lunch, do homework together, practice together, and party with each other on the weekends. There are always events and guest speakers on campus, whether it is a director of a movie or an author of a book that was required for class. Some hook up, some regret it, and some date for a long time. I met my friends just by being in my dorm and talking to people in my classes. Each year we have parties such as: Toga, Splatter, and the infamous Sex on the Beach. People party pretty often. Most students have classes on Monday, Wednesday and Friday so those are the designated party nights in addition to Saturday. Whenever someone doesn't have work (which is rare) they will probably celebrating. However, students at Oxy do know when to buckle down and study. Frats and sororities are not that important, some people join them to make friends or "to have that life bond". Last weekend I went to Hollywood for dinner at Swingers (super cool diner) and went to a club in Hollywood. On Saturday I went to the beach in Santa Monica and drove through the canyons in Malibu, and then went to a party at a friends house. On Sunday I like to be as lazy as possible so I got some tanning time in at the pool. There is a bowling alley within walking distance called All-Star Lanes, it has karaoke and if there isn't a party being thrown off campus then it will most likely be filled with Oxy students.

Oxy is known as being politically correct. Oxy students are very liberal not only when it comes to politics but in the way they dress and go about their everyday lives.

Tess

The best thing about Occidental is the academic environment that is sooo welcoming and comfortable while at the same time being very motivated. In addition, the location is another great aspect. You are literally 15 minutes away from Downtown and Chinatown (on a good traffic day!) as well as 10 mintues from Glendale, Los Feliz, and Silverlake not to mention Pasadena which is right next door. There are so many things to do on campus, so there really is no excuse for being bored. As for the size, I love it. I transferred here from a school in upstate New York that had 6,000 students and while even that was small compared to a state school, for example, the intimacy and community of this school which is a third of the size is really noticeable. It isn't however, claustraphobic and I don't necessarily feel like I am back on a high school campus. I still see people may not have seen before yet I feel like everyone know's everyone else. There isn't any "college town" but to me that doesn't matter because Oxy is located so close to all the nearby cities that it is like all of those are our "college town." The administration, in the instances in which I have dealt with them have been more than helpful but I do know that there is some red tape in terms of registration for classes and how that has changed as of this year. Many complaints are concerning the order in which students register for classes and many students who have been here feel they were cheated out of better registration times since now Freshman get first choice. As long as you know what classes you want and you make an effort to talk to the professors of the classes that you really want to take, the difference in the registration times isn't that big of an issue, at least for me. Otherwise, although I know that the board of trustees and their conservative outlook has been a point of contention for many students and faculty, especially since our last president left so aburptly last semster because of her inability to work with them in a progressive fashion, there isn't much I have to say about the administration. I guess what I have to say about Occidental is that I love it and I have such a positive feeling about this school and the direction that it is going in. I love being classes with other students that want to be here and that say knowledgable things and know what they are talking about and why they have the opinions that they have. This was not always the case at my other school. I truly feel proud to say that I go to Occidental.

Most students at Occidental are very liberal. We have a very diverse campus and I wouldn't want to give any wrong statistics about the types of people that go here. One of the most pleasing things I see is that all different types of students interact. There also isn't this feeling of having to dress a certain way or be a certain way that might alienate certain groups. I would say that everyone can be who they and they will be accepted. Actually, I would say that people just need to be themselves and that is how they will be accepted.

For the most part, this campus is very liberal in both their views concerning politics and the social environment here at school, but for the most part we are not snotty in our beliefs. Some may feel otherwise, especially if one is more conservatively inclined, but even at this campus, because diversity is so revered, there is a niche for them.

Most of the professors that I have taken classes from have known my name unless I didn't really feel it was necessary for them to know it. What I mean by this, is that there were some classes where I didn't really participate and didn't ask questions outside of class and if I had, I'm sure the professors would have recognized me. The fact that there were some classes I didn't participate in doesn't mean that I don't participate now. Since this is my second semester here, I have begun to say more in class, I think because I have gotten used to the atmosphere and felt more at ease. I've also realized that because I go to school with such intelligent people, it makes it easier to say things in class because everyone else is so willing to contribute to the discussion. For the most part, students aren't competitive in the sense that I might feel intimidated or worried that I am not getting good enough grades. Most people work hard at what they do and in they end they get good grades, but the whole school isn't spending every waking hour in the library studying. I just recently declared my major as Psychology and I am going to minor in Critical Theory and Social Justice. My advisor for Psychology is a professor that I had for my Methods in Psychology class so I know her and she knows me. She is head of the department and I really feel like she knows what she is talking about and will give me the best advice. As for spending time outside of the classroom with my professors, I've never done that, but certainly know students that have, including my roommate. The education here at Occidental is really aimed toward learning for it's own sake but that doesn't mean that the school doesn't provide plenty of opportunities to have internships and help you get ready for life outside of college.

A lot of people think that Occidental is a bunch of liberal, diversity-obsessed students.

Sam

A small liberal arts campus in the outskirts of Los Angeles opens up worlds of possibilities. The campus is small and comfortable, and the location is perfect for working in and around Los Angeles. Oxy functions as a school where the atmosphere is small so that the teachers and students can create connections impossible at larger schools.

Oxy's student body exists as a community. You get to know a majority of the students, and there is a sense of a common goal. Nearly everyone is willing to give a helping hand to other students, and because of this, while students strive for excellence, they also work to help one another reach their full potential.

The small class sizes and closeness of community make for an excellent place to learn for job experience or for just learning and expanding your mind. What else needs to be said?

Being in SAE has opened my eyes to the Greek system, but I'd say the social scene here is fairly mild. There are lots of events and school wide parties which enhances oxy's sense of community, also.

Oxy is a pretty great school- its quite small, so you have to be okay with that, the fact that there won't necessarily be really big parties going on every weekend. But then again, when you walk around campus, you will always see people you know and can say hi to.

Academics at Oxy are quite good, the classes are relatively small, and the professors will definitely know your name. There is a pretty limited selection of courses each semester but that's to be expected in a small school. Registration ca be tough-you have to really fight for the classes you want. A great thing about Oxy is that although it is an intellectual school, it is not a competitive school. The folks here are fairly laid back.

We live in a bubble-Not connected to the community

Occidental College administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.