Los Angeles, CA
Occidental College

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Occidental College

Fixed  rate loan

Youstina

The most important advice that I could've given to myself is that I should've applied for scholarships. Scholarships are veryy useful especailly if I am applying for a private unversity next spring. Also, procristination is my enemy in college because the professors are always giving new lessons and new assigments. Another advice that I would given to myself is that I have to manage my time really well between work, school, and studying. These advices are very significant and it would've made life better.

Leaseth

The campus is small, you will have seen and/or met the majority of the people within the first month. The majority of the professors are really accessible and willing to help. There is a section in the library that helps students with their homework from 6pm to 9pm. The Career and Development office is always sending emails with possible internships and job opportunities.

I would tell myself to become sociable and make as many friends as possible. It is important to be involved in different clubs and organizations because you get to meet new people and acquire leadership roles and skills. I would also encourage myself to approach professors with questions and attend their office hours to get help. I would advice myself to review class notes and readings twice a week to get a better understanding and so I can be better prepared for quizzes and tests. Having a group of classmates to work on homework together or compare answers is very helpful. Also looking for internships in the career paths that might interest you is important to do because then you have a little glimpse of the occupation and an idea of whether you want to pursue it or not.

You shouldn't attend this school if you are really shy or conservative. There is not a lot to do on campus and it takes more than an hour to go anywhere on public transportation. If you are party person, there isn't many events or people to dance with.

Katelyn

Occidental College is a liberal arts institution that challenges students academically and encourages them to live their college experience to the fullest.

I would tell myself to stick with basketball, because at the time, I was burnt out from an injury and didn't want to play anymore. My coach and professors have challenged me here at Occidental to be a better student, athlete, and person. I would also encourage myself to pursue extracurricular opportunities, especially on-campus work and internships.

The worst thing about my school is that there is little going on during the weekends. With the amount of work spent studying for classes, it would be nice to have a better balance with social activities sponsored by the school.

The first piece of advice that I would give myself is to allow room to grow. In terms of academics, this would mean to take many different classes, in subject areas outside of my major, simply because they sound interesting. In terms of extracarriculars, this would be to make sure to go check out a bunch of different groups on campus, even though you would maybe be unsure about whether or not it was a good fit. If you only join the same groups that you did in high school then you might be missing out on so many new and exciting opportunities! Also, you may not think so, but this is a great way to make new friends that you would have otherwise never met. The second piece of advice to give to myself as a high school senior is to make an effort to keep in touch with people from your past. You may think that keeping in touch with old high school friends will be easy, but once college kicks in it actually becomes quite difficult, and you have to, and should, make that effort to keep in touch.

The best thing about my school is the attitude of both the other students, as well as the professors. I love that my peers are very passionate about what they are studying, and are eager to discuss these things outside of the classroom. In terms of the professors, so far I have definitely felt that everyone wants to be teaching, and they all have a passion for not only teaching, but more importantly, the subjects that they teach. And I feel that this enthusiasm definitely is noticable and rubs off on the students.

There are a few things that I wish I knew coming to this school. In terms of academics, to try and do your requirements (for example lab sciences, pre-1800) done in your first year, so you have time later to take classes you are really interested in. Also, in terms of acadmics, understand that you don't have to choose your major until the end of your second year, so take some time before that sampling different majors, and especially different classes that sound interesting to you.

Grace

Breathe. Everything works out in the end and although everyone has already told you that, it is true. The universe has its way of creating a life that is perfect for you. If you wake up everyday and force yourself to smile, eventually you will convince yourself that you are happy. When you act happy people are more attracted to you. Enjoy the people you are around. The faculty and your friends especially. Although college has so much to offer, the friends from high school are irreplaceable. The beginning of adventures are always the hardest. When you try something new, give it two weeks. It is possible to enjoy things that you are not the best at. Learning happens when there is someone to learn from. Spend way more time than necessary with those lovely dogs. As wonderful as family is, the dogs are missed most. Be confident in yourself. There is a bizarre paradox of constantly feeling crowded and lonely at college. Expect it. Be okay with it. Know that everyone else you are around feels something similar. School gets harder, so over the summer learn to accept yourself without a number or letter grade attached.

They only allow juniors and seniors to study abroad.

The unbelievable campus and amazing people. Everyone is friendly and LA has so much to offer.

Alexa

There are many things about my school that make it wonderful. It is beautiful, in a great location, and holds many vibrant and exciting opportunities. The teachers are passionate about their knowledge and want to share it with their students. But the most unique thing about my school is the ambience of friendliness and genuine care on campus. There are so many nice people that it seems to be part of the admission process to be accepted--on how friendly you are. The school is very diverse and having so many open-hearted people make people feel welcome.

The experience that I have had from this school has been incredible. While attending I have had the chance to attend lectures and arts events that I would not have otherwise been exposed to. In one class, in order to study the effect of Brecht on modern-day theatre, we were required to attend performances and interview people from the actual company. Through the contacts of the professor, this was possible. Lectures by guest speakers can be open to anyone--even if you are not enrolled in the class. I went into a history class to hear a playwright speak about his knowledge through theatre of histoy. I was able to then create my own opportunity and began to help him in his research for his play. Being a liberal arts college has allowed this school to expand my horizons as well and meet people I would not have otherwise met. I have a strong bond with many wonderful people on campus--including my employers as well as cooking staff and professors. Everyone works diligently and passionately at what they do, yet they have room to let you into their lives as well. I am growing as a person.

The best thing about my school is the combination of where it is situated and the ambience that surrounds it. It resides in a little town that is cute and homey while the campus itself is a gorgeous array of fountains, trees, hummingbirds and roses; you can see the whole city from the oasis of nature. The proximity of the city makes many things available to us without us having to feel like we are surrounded by a city. The city holds many opportunities, interships, and excitement that we can be a part of while having peace around us.

Austin

My college experience, so far, has been life altering. I now more than ever before have come to realize just how truly important pursuing education really is. Sure I could talk about the fact that the job market opens its arms wide open upon graduating college. Or the fact that it is truly is the key to career/life planning and fulfilling many of the things that I, and most other degree bearors and hopefulls aim for, but truly the worth in education to me is this, the attainment of knowledge and worth and reward it brings. Nothing is a wonderful. If I aim to leave my mark on the world, while this is not the equation in its entirety, certaintly education is a key factor in the equation to altering the state of the world for the bettering of all mankind. Big ambition? Too high and lofty of a hope and pursuit for one man to achieve? To this I submit, certainly! Without question; however, may I remind of a few names who found themselves in a similar situation? Luther? Paul of Tarsus? Newton? Edison? Columbus? History makers. I will make the pages of history. Aid me in this.

Small campus with great academic standards and the ability to play a varsity sport.

I learned how to be on my own and how to really manage my time and choose what is most importmant to me. Oxy has been so valuable to attend because I have gained so many great firends that I will have for the rest of my life. Also it was a great experience that I will never forget and I am so glad I had the opportunity to attend Oxy.

Susan

The students are eclectic, diverse, accepting, driven, and passionate.

The students are eclectic, diverse, accepting, driven, and passionate.

My college experience allowed me to explore many different areas, before ultimately choosing a practical career path. My college's emphasis on diversity has enriched my cultural understanding as well as added to my learning experience by providing various opinions that come from differing life experiences. As an English major, it was exciting to meet many of the invited speakers--fiction writers and journalists--that added to my understanding of their work and the practical applications of English language. Further, many activities were available for me to experience--helping me find my interests. My favorite part about this school is that on-campus housing is always available (though preference over specifics is given to seniors), therefore I had the full experience of a living-learning environment.

It's not that bad...but the school is a dry campus.

Occidental College administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.