Los Angeles, CA
Occidental College

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Occidental College

Fixed  rate loan

Fixed  rate loan

Susan

The students are eclectic, diverse, accepting, driven, and passionate.

The students are eclectic, diverse, accepting, driven, and passionate.

My college experience allowed me to explore many different areas, before ultimately choosing a practical career path. My college's emphasis on diversity has enriched my cultural understanding as well as added to my learning experience by providing various opinions that come from differing life experiences. As an English major, it was exciting to meet many of the invited speakers--fiction writers and journalists--that added to my understanding of their work and the practical applications of English language. Further, many activities were available for me to experience--helping me find my interests. My favorite part about this school is that on-campus housing is always available (though preference over specifics is given to seniors), therefore I had the full experience of a living-learning environment.

It's not that bad...but the school is a dry campus.

I have gained the privilege of learning about myself and developing my opinions on a variety of issues. Perhaps the most influential experience for me at Occidental was facilitating an intergroup dialogue course. This course helped enhance my speaking skills and modify the goals I am trying to accomplish when speaking. Public speaking has always been my strength because I enjoy sharing my ideas with others and captivating their attention with what I have to share and this course facilitated this skill. Dialogue taught me the importance of communication and shared understanding rather than attempting to prove one perspective as right or wrong. It also provided me the opportunity of forming meaningful and long-lasting friendships which I had not developed in college before since I didn't live on campus. We were able to explore issues involving race, gender, religion, and other "hot topics" in an honest and safe space, even when that meant questioning ourselves and realizing our roles in contributing to oppression. Knowing that Occidental is one of only a few campuses that offers the dialogue program makes me extremely proud that I chose this college and pushes me to advocate for dialogue on other campuses.

The intergroup dialogue program which is offered by Occidental and is not offered by many other campuses. It allows for an exploration of diversity and issues of social justice.

Someone who wants a small campus with small class sizes. It is best to live on campus in order to be involved more in the social atmosphere of the campus.

Greg

Its a small, academically strong liberal arts college.

Its a small, academically strong liberal arts college.

I would tell myself not to stress about the process of applying, or moving, or beginning college. Its the same for everyone, and everyone's going through the same process. Its a crazy ride, but college is a great time. College is much more engaging and fulfilling than high school in every way.

Quality of professors, weather, good academics, cool people.

Anna

Students at Oxy are open minded for the most part and accepting of a very large range of personalities and backgrounds.

The best advice I was given before going to college was to be friendly and open to new experiences. Some of my best friends were raised very differently than I was and come from all over the world. One of the best things about college is the opportunities it holds to meet all kinds of people; don?t be afraid to sit with new people at lunch or approach other students after class. College may seem like a big, intimidating experience, but in many ways college is just like high school. Even though there will be very challenging moments, remember that there are probably other students that are going through the same thing and most campuses have resources to help you succeed. Make sure that you choose a school where you can truly learn, practice and get hands-on experience in the things you are passionate about. Without exciting academic opportunities, even the most active social life will not seem like enough.

Going to college near a very big city (LOS ANGELES!), gives you a million and one opportunities to volunteer, work, intern and do research--the only challenge is getting off campus and taking advantage of the opportunities that exist.

Nadia

Make sure that the environment, made up of students, professors, administrators, the location and even the buildings themselves, including aesthetics and usefulness, collectively provide a place where you as can thrive, and become a useful member of society, and grow as a successful individual who is happy with oneself. Despite the statistics and facts on a website or sheet about the school you are considering, visiting the campus itself is the only way you will really get a feel for the campus and know if it suits you. Along with this, it is important to know what the student body comprises of, and if with them you will feel a sense of community and connection that will help you grow, and mutually learn from others. Search for a space where you can be inspired, have the privacy to do so and not feel so isolated at the same time. Of course prestige matters, but also the classroom size, access to professors and opportunities to engage with them in academic work. Most importantly realizes this will be a second home for you where you will potentially spend the majority of the four years of your undergraduate life.

It is close enought to a lot of outdoor recreational spots, to a big city, small classes and the professors are for the most part glad to speak to studentes. There are also great study abroad oportunities offered or available for students to apply for. It is prestigious but not academically unfriendly or hostile like other big name schools, but still could be intimidating if you do not come from an academia oriented family.

Someone who is interested in small schools, access to professors, who is planning to attend graduate or professional school. Someone who can commute, if they are easily distracted, or if they need silence and privacy. Some one who wants ot experience the college dorm life and can easily adapt to immature college students.

Leslie

Having been through a year and a half of ?college life? the best advice I could give myself as a high school senior would be to avoid obsessing over academic success. The first year of college I became so caught up in excelling academically that I allowed my social life to fall apart. I did not make finding that vital group of new friends a priority, which resulted in a very lonely first year of college. It became a cycle ? because I would spend most of my time studying, friendships were not nurtured and the lack of relationships just reinforced my desire to study as I had hours of free time. A girl is only as strong as her support system and during my first year, that support system had a strength of one. This year I have met people I can call lifelong friends and they have taught me much more than any study session could ever teach. Though the first year was socially challenging, it makes me truly appreciate the friends I have now. My advice: love those around you and it will make everything, academic success or not, that much sweeter.

It is very difficult to get an on campus job if one does not qualify for a work award.

A more conservative (politically, ethically) student may feel uncomfortable at this campus.

Tasha

Although sometimes the want to be an adult is overwhelming, just be you. Your enjoyment in education will be satisfied. When you get bored in class still continue to do the work because in the future you will find college trying at times. I know you crave more difficult work but dropping out and getting a GED in order to rush on college will only make attending college harder. Schools want to know how well you did in college not how well you did on your GED exam. Take your time and enjoy life, when you rush through everything you tend to miss the beauty of it. Its easy for you to ace your classes don't take that for granted instead exploit it and enjoy the free ride to college. Don't ever think you can't do something or put off your wants. Graduate high school and shoot for the moon. Breaks only slow down progress. Keep pushing for the future. Online school is great you will enjoy the fact that you can work at your pace which will keep you more involved and challenge you more. The challenge is what you crave not the freedom.

Da-Eun

Try hard your senior year! Don't slack off in school and attend class regularly. Getting big-headed since your a senior is a risk since in college, you're going to be the youngest all over again! Apply for as many scholarships as you can since college is expensive. Eat healthy and set a regular excercise plan so that you could maintain your shape in college and thus, avoid freshman 15. Don't focus on transforming yourself before college so much because it really does not matter how you dress or do your hair in college. Pre-study some material since the science classes are extremely difficult. Just prepare yourself mentally for college because it is difficult but it'll all be worth it because it is the best experience of your life!

It's in the middle of a unknown somewhat "ghetto" town called Eagle Rock. It can be dangerous to walk outside of campus. However, since our school is close to Los Angeles, Pasadena, and even Glendale, having friends with cars makes this location not much of a negative for me.

My school is relatively small so it's easier to knit bonds with other students. I brag that when you walk down to class, it's easy to say hi to people since you see them everyday. The food at our school is delicious especially the pasta bar. Also, my school embraces multiculturalism so everyone is extremely open and fair towards everyone.

Mariko

If I could talk to myself as a senior, I would have told myself, "You should have taken those AP Spanish and math tests!" Course credit for classes I took like like AP Environmental Science, AP English, AP Art History & U.S History, etc. transferred into college, but it really isnt going to help for anything. Its language and math that AP and SAT test scorces can really help you out in college--you can place into a higher level or get out of some basic requirements entirely! The social sciences and liberal arts classes, not so much.

It feels like summer all the way into November, and the small class size really allows you to get to know your peers and teachers--its easy to make friends and ask questions in class.

While the campus itself is gorgeous, the surrounding neighborhood around the college is mostly a lot of uninspiring urban sprawl-- you'll want a car, friends with cars, or some other way to get out of the immediate area. It's only about 5-10 minutes drive minutes to nice towns like Pasadena though.

Isabel

RELAX, BE OUTGOING, BE YOURSELF, GET INVOLVED, TAKE TIME FOR YOURSELF, BE PATIENT, KNOW THINGS WON'T BE EASY OR PERFECT, BE PREPARED TO MISS YOUR PARENTS MORE THAN YOU THINK YOU WILL, BE ADVENTUROUS!

Someone who is interested in a big school, someone who wants to blend in in their classes, someone who is a huge sports fan, someone who is unacademic, someone who doesn't like the sun.

the weather, student teacher ratio, availability of professors, school's proximity to museums and beaches, the food

Occidental College administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.