Los Angeles, CA
Occidental College

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Occidental College

Joyce

While in high school, college was a vague, blurry idea. It was all about the applying and the getting in. People seemed to compete with one another with lists of prestigious colleges they were applying to. Now that I am in college, I can say with confidence that these things are of little importance. I would tell my high school self that what I need to hone are my time management skills. There are so many activities to get involved in at college, academics can easily be put on hold. The best way to fight this is by making a time schedule of everything you need to do. I would tell myself that meeting people from different places is extremely rewarding. Students from all around the world teach me a lot about cultures. Embrace it and learn! Being in college does not mean that you have to party. There are many who have fun without this! Going to college in Los Angeles offers me so much. There are taco trucks on the streets, book stores, and museums galore! I would tell myself to make friends with the counselors at school. They help you with everything from classes to future careers!

I absolutely love the students at Occidental. From the day I visited and toured Occidental's campus, I was pleasantly surprised at how friendly everyone was. Still, I thought to myself, "Maybe they are just being nice because I'm a visitor..." My doubts were instantly shot down on my first day of college. Everyone, including the professors, remained genuine and kind. Even if a student does not know the person walking by, they still smile at them. Though this may seem trivial, it often makes my day just that much better.

After having observed the types of people that attend Occidental College, I would say that a friendly, kind, caring, motivated, intelligent, and environmentally-friendly person would be most comfortable here. They should also be well informed and aware of current events and what is going on in the world--both politically and socially. A person who genuinely cares about various injustices in the world today, such as poverty, would find many who share the same vision at Occidental.

Mwahaki

I was born in Los Angeles, California but I was raised in England until I was ten by my single mother and then moved to Jamaica with her; which is where I lived until I returned to Los Angeles for university last year. I spent my senior year of high school in Jamaica. If I were to go back in time I would prepare myself for the culture shock ahead and the bitter reality of living over 4000 miles away from my family, but also congratulate myself on the choice I made to attend Occidental College, it is the perfect place for me. I am a devout Christian who is steadfast in her faith. It can however be challenging to hold on to your religion in a college environment, especially in one as liberal as Occidental. As difficult as this task may be, it is not impossible. Therefore I would also advise myself to stay grounded in religion and trust God to guide me through adversity. I would also tell myself that despite the distance and culture shock, I should not to fear this new venture in my life for my time at Occidental will be extremely rewarding and fulfilling.

It's location. Occidental is small oasis of calm in the centre of the bustling metropolitan city of Los Angeles. It provides easy access to Hollywood and Beverly Hills but is also removed from the distractions that can accompany these areas. It's the vest of both worlds.

Occidental welcome people from all walks of life and diverse backgrounds. I can't see a person that wouldn't fit in here, however to be specific, an intellgent, but down-to-earth person with compassion for others would be best suited for this school.

Henry

You could not put any of the students here in a box. It is a very eclectic group of students from a wide ethnic/political/socio-economic background.

I would tell parents who have kids looking at colleges to give them as much support in their decision making process as possible, but be sure and let the child decide on their own where they would like to go. Some schools may be right for you as a student and other schools may not be. Know that there may be many schools out there that you would love and to go into the college experience with a very open mind and an eagerness to learn about other people and how to communicate with them. The most important thing one learns in college is not how to write a paper or learn facts, but rather how to navigate the world of people in a more intelligent and open way. Therefore, be sure and put yourself out there. Challenge yourself to do things that seem scary. Make friends by being yourself and go into relationships with an open mind and a willingness to learn about other people.

The best thing about Oxy is the friendly environment and community among the students and faculty. The weather is also amazing.

Janelle

Occidental is a diverse, liberal college that welcomes students of all backgrounds and types, creating an intimate environment perfect for learning and having a social life.

Choose a college for yourself. Do not pick one because your friends go there or because your parents want you to. At college you will have plenty of opportunites to make friends for a lifetime. College is one of the biggest turning points in your life.

The worst thing about my school would be the location. To go to downtown LA or other certain parts, you really need a car since public transportation takes too long. However, the Oxy shuttle does offer rides to places on the weekends.

Meredith

People interested in social justice and race relations and the city of Los Angeles. Also, all the "good kids" in high school who were fun, well rounded, driven and involved in nearly every activity

The hypocracy of a school focused on social justice with a primarily upper-middle class privilidged student body. Not feeling heard from administrators and a high rate of turnover within the administration

Dana

An intellectually engaging environment where kids party hard on the weekends.

An intellectually engaging environment where kids party hard on the weekends.

Don't be scared to go far from home and away from all of your friends. College is the chance to try something new and thrive in the environment that is right for you, not for your friends. Really think about what you value the most. There is no perfect school, so look at what matters the most to you and look for the school that best suits these needs. Once you decide, commit 100% and pour your heart into the college experience. It is a scary time, but if you jump right in and get involved in meaningful activities everything will fall into place.

It is very small, and it prides itself on diversity but there is a great deal of tensions among different groups.

Ann

A lot of my classmates are tolerant and accepting of differences. Many are pretty wealthy, but there are lot of kids on scholarships.

The college decision is a hard choice. I went on numerous college tours across the country and then ended up going to a school sight unseen. However, there were many factors that went into my final decision: location, cost, and atmosphere. The most important thing I did was to apply to schools that I felt fulfilled most of my preferences. For me, I was accepted into most of the schools that I applied to and then it all boggled down to money. Occidental College offered me the best financial aid package. Once at Occidental, I tried to take advantage of everything. I went to the freshmen orientations and found out where all the resources were on campus. In addition, I talked to my professors. These tools helped me throughout my time so far at Occidental.

The school is very liberal, so a student who is very conservative probably would find themselves feeling left out. In addtion, there is a strong drinking scene at Occidental, so if you don't drink it is not the right place for you.

Keith

With the amount of colleges out there, parents and students have to realize they might not find the "perfect" one. As long as a student finds a college where he/she can be happy, and have the opportunity to pursue the activities that he/she wants, that student is going to be alright. Students should also realize that what they want at the beginning of their collegiate career isn't necessarily what they'll want by the end of it, so finding a place that can accomodate more than just one of their interests is key.

Someone who doesn't like small liberal schools.

Callan

Occidental is a liberal, diverse, academic campus with a beautiful environment close to a big city and has a diverse social scene but is small enough to feel like a good community.

It's best known for its gorgeous campus, its small size, its diversity (social, cultural, economic, etc.) and its fantastic liberal arts education.

The first thing you have to remember is that college does NOT determine the rest of your life. Just because you don't go to an Ivy League doesn't mean you won't get the job you want. Visit the schools you want to go to and pick one that feels right. Think about the weather, location, size and social scene. When going to a school these things are more important than reputation. And of course academics are important as well but instead of looking for which school has the professor with the most published essays look for a school with a high teacher/student ratio or classes that you're interested in. Once you get there don't be scared! You'll make friends by geting out there and finding something you like to do, whether that's a cool class, a sport, the Women's Surf Club (my club!) or studying abroad. Freshman year can be hard trying to find a balance between social life and school life but eventually everyone finds that balance. So, like you might hear in every cheesy graduation speech, take advantage of everything and most of all, HAVE FUN!

Occidental is small enough for students to receive the utmost attention from their professors while gaining an appropriate liberal arts education.

Occidental College gives a huge amount of financial aid.

Keep the student's interest in mind but make sure that their goals are realistic in terms of where they want to be. The future seems quite far away but it definitely is something to be thought about.

Occidental College administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.