Los Angeles, CA
Occidental College

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Occidental College

Fixed  rate loan

Fixed  rate loan

Raquel

I would suggest really talking together to get a sense of what the student really wants out of their college experience. As a parent I would suggest trying to really realize that this is your childs time to shine and get what they want out of their education and ultimately their lives. Making a list of pros and cons for each school once accepted really makes the decision process a lot easier. Evaluate each school and really ask yourself where you can see yourself the following year. A great indication of a good school is that happiness and likability of the other students in attendance so be really attentive on visits. Don't be shy to pull students aside and ask questions- I know at my school students are more than happy to talk. Remember that this is your life and youre college serves as the foundation for your future so think long and hard and GOOD LUCK!

Someone who isnt looking to fade into the background of a large classroom. A person who is looking to get a hands-on education and is eager to work with their professors to make the most of their education. This school is good for someone who is overwhelmed by lots of people. This community is a great place for soft-spoken people as it gives them a good environment to share their feelings. Someone who can make their own fun and is secure in who they are.

Sometimes students arent able to get into many of the classes that they want because we try to keep the class size so small. Also in general such a small school doesnt allow a sense of anonymity.

Kendall

Oxy doesn't havea college town feel, it's in a residentail neighborhood, the campus is very small. I think many people don't venture too far off campus, or only go to familiar places like hollywood, the beach, and old town pasadena. There is a lot to explore in Eagle Rock and highland park which is nice. It's small, that's for sure, but I like most things about it, probably one of the things I would change is that fact that there is a road running right through the middle of campus. We have some administrative issues, most visibly the fact that we've had four different presidents in the last 5 years, I would say that these issues are of concern to the students, but the professors remain fairly calm which helps keep life on campus pretty normal.

I think most people fit in at Occidental, there definitely isn't a large artsy/ creative community, but there are peopel from all over the country. Msot students come from middle to upp income families. Student's are very active in their co-curriculars, but not every student is very active.

It's a good school, even if you are afraid of L.A. comign to Oxy is a good way to get to know the city and decide truly if you love or hate it.

We are diverse, but spend a lot of effort dissecting our diversity, which oftentimes unintentionally separates different racial, economic, and social groups. Students use I statements, "I feel, I think" or phrases like "it seems like" to avoid confrontation, or to ease confrontational language. I wouldn't say the open minded steryotype always rings true, we like to think we are though. Also I do not feel that Oxy is an overtly political campus; people take stands on issues and are VERY vocal, but don't always have to statistics or information to back up their claims.

Classes are small, professors know your name. My favorite classes were my 2 core classes frehsman year, one about renewable energy strategies taught by Adrian Hightower, and Conflict and contact in Los Angeles taught by Raul Villa and Regina Freer. The academic requirements are not out of line. most students participate in class. I am a student in the Urban and Environmental Policy major, which I believed is too focused on community organizing instead of environemntal or urban policy. It is a very unique major and I have found the professors to be very helpful. All three full time professors are engaged in research and organizing outside of school, which also helps to give the students of the major work and internship opportunies during the summer and after college.

Many people are involved in clubs and sports, football, basketball, rugby, baseball/softball, soccer, etc. There isnt'a very prevalent intremural program, but it's growing. On the weekends people party, we work hard we play hard. Fraternities and sororities aren't that important, they are places for people to make social connections. A saturday night if you're not drinking- it's pretty easy to get off campus to see a movie, but the school doesn't have too many porgrams over the weekends. Occassionaly we have dances, plays, concerts, but not every weekend.

Diverse, open minded, politically correct and/or sensitive to social correctness, overtly political and liberal.

Harper

When I tell people I go to Occidental they usually haven't heard of it and I don't blame them. It is a very small school, smaller than my public highschool. I enjoyed my first year here but things a math professor said at my convocation are starting to make sense. Occidental...there are monsters living under your bed. What I mean to say is that Occidental appears at first glance to be a very liberal institution that cares about its' students and faculty but it is really everything but. The only good thing about this school is our faculty. They are amazing but our administration on the other hand.... There is a turn over in administrative positions every year. There have been 4 presidents since I entered Occidental. Our school is basically run by our board of trustees who are only concerned with money. I worked at Telefund for a semester and I was sickened by how focused it was on obtaining money from alumni, and parents. There was little focus on building rapport with these individuals. Diversity is a big issue on campus. Most people on campus are way too PC. This is suppose to be an environment where we can learn from one another but instead we spend most of the time criticizing one another. Our campus safety staff sucks. That may not be very eloquent but it's true. Most of the campus safety staff does not care about the students. I was a sober sister for an event on campus and campus safety provided little assistance. They were dead bodies. I cleaned up vomit, helped other students that were too drunk to be there while campus safety continued to let students that were too drunk to be there enter the dance. I have still not received an apology for thank you. There is this illusion on campus that the administration and students work hand in hand but after a few years here you will discover that the administration cares little about what the students think and is more focused on their own interests. For example, I was rush chair last spring. Rush has always been held at the organizations houses but a new policy was enforced right before we were to go on winter break that would require all rush activities to be held on camps. The students were not consulted to this change nor were our opinions taken into consideration. It turned out that the decision was made by our advisor. I am no longer part of Alpha. It saddens me but I hate being wrapped up in a corrupt system and thats what Occidental is, corrupt. I wish I had listened a little more closely at that speech my freshmen year where the professor warned us of Occidentals monsters but I laughed with everyone else. Now, here I am, a senior, about to graduate from a college that I dislike, will never give to, and hope to forget.

What student body? It's just a bunch of students who think they are making a difference when really they yield no power whatsoever. The administration, and board of trustees run every aspect of this school and they don't care about anyone but themselves and making Occidental some higher institution. I think they are aiming for ivy league. They will never get there.

I live at the theater. Our professors are kind but some of them are pretty full of themselves but I guess most theater professors are. I have taken some of the most interesting classes here at Occidental and if I had to name my favorite professor it would be Jeffery Tobin. He teaches in the CTSJ department and has always had my back. He is a great professor that doesn't get caught up in all the crap that is Occidental.

The social life is lame. My freshmen year there was potential but the administration does its best to make sure the students have as little fun as possible. Don't be fooled, we may have school dances but nothing is like it used to be. Our neighbors are awful. You think they would understand that this is a college town and that noise is expected but most parties get broken up at 11 pm. lame

That it is just a party school and the students don't have a good work ethic.

Brenan

Occidental is a little bit of everything... emphasis on little. It's a small school, and that's the way I like it. There is a Greek life and there is a Geek life. Being in the theater department, have a very different and perhaps limited view of the school. The theater majors are literally split from the rest of campus because our building stands at the top of the hill, far away from all the other academics. Similarly and unfortunately, the department lacks the challenges and delights of diversity that the rest of the campus enjoys, largely I believe, because of the lack of a faculty member of color. But concerning the school at large, its location is brilliant but best taken advantage of with a car or with an eager bent for public transportation (a bike splits the difference nicely). The food in the cafeteria is far better than most places and every once in a while they make an effort to have extra healthy or organic options. The administration is a bit backwards-- the Board of Trustees has too much control over who stays and who goes, what happens and what doesn't happen. Our first female president spent only one semester in office before stepping down because of differences with the board. To my understanding, these were over such things as funding for study abroad and issues of tenure. In Ms. Prager's defense, she spent time while in office having private meetings with every professor on campus. She knew what the school needed, but the Board refused (and continues to refuse) to listen. The student government does not have enough power to challenge the administration and we are not unified enough as a student body to demand the power to change. Instead, small groups make their voices heard in the community-- a valuable and abundant opportunity at Oxy. Oh, and my experience with financial aid is that the are terrible.

The big issue is always diversity. The campus itself is diverse-- there are people from all over the country, the world, and from many different backgrounds. The campus is eager to make issues of tolerance and diversity public matters, but has yet to find the right way to do it. There so far exists a formula for "dialogue," which manifests in many ways-- shouting matches, presentations, tentative public conversations (literally into a mircophone in the quad)... and many other things. I must say that none of these public venues have ever inspired honesty, confidence, open-mindedness, or compassion in me or anyone I know. I think the school needs to find new ways to address these legitimate and important issues. The best conversations I've had have been with friends. My friends and I joke that the most common phrase used in a "dialogue" situation resembles: "I agree with everything you just said, but I completely disagree with you." Oxy talks itself in circles as it is. I'm afraid of what I can and cannot say just walking down the quad. However, I do love that the issues are out there and that at least Oxy is TRYING-- so many other campuses are not.

Though there are truths to both of these stereotypes, what it boils down to is that Oxy is caught between having the power to make tremendous social change on its campus and being forced into one formula for doing so. This formula, what is touted as a "dialogue" but is really a shouting match of opinions and dogmas, doesn't let people really listen to each other. Despite its problems, Oxy actually does have a fairly like-minded student body, and many of the arguments over discrimination of any kind stem from the formulaic channel of dealing with hard issues. People use the formula both to really talk about issues, but also to attract attention to themselves. There is potential here, but it has not not been achieved yet.

Every semester there are academic ups and downs for me. Coming from a small, very competetive and rigorous high school, Occidental is easy for me. I easily recieve As or A-s every semester. (Unfortunately, the financial aid and scholarship department is so bad that this really doesn't reap any immediate benefits). Professors do know your name, and if they don't, it doesn't mean it's a bad class. Most classes are about 20 people, but some much smaller and some much bigger. Occidental has a rigorous Core Program that frustrates many first and second year students. However, I have found that if you take the class that sounds hard but interesting instead of the class that will purportedly give you an easy A, the Core Program can be a really valuable resource for extending your education into different fields. I must say I find the lack of student interest in their classes frustrating. There is usually little class participation and even less competition-- it's cooler to do your paper in 20 minutes before the deadline than it is to finish it 2 weeks ahead of time. All professors hold office hours and the large majority are very open to students coming to see them. There is also definitely grade inflation, but I imagine almost every campus in the U.S. experiences that.

The social scene is extremely varied. I suppose I'll speak for the Theater Department and say that not enough people from campus come to the shows! That's true, I suppose, for most of the events on campus, including speakers, art shows, movies, fundraisers, even though oftentimes advertising is good for these events. In my experience drinking is the main party activity, though I do have some friends who don't drink and I have gone through long periods of sobriety myself. It's possible to find things to do, but hard! If you don't drink, you will probably find yourself around people who are drinking and let's be honest, peer pressure does exist. If you have a strong will, you'll be fine. In my experience, marijuana is the second most prevalent drug on campus. I've heard some whispers about cocaine, but I've never seen it around. Off campus offers many opportunities-- beach, Hollywood, Disneyland, Pasadena, hiking, shopping... but a car, bike or bus is needed despite some limited school-provided transportation.

From the outside, Occidental is seen as a super diverse, happy and integrated community. From the inside, the stereotype is tweaked negatively-- the student body percieves itself as divided in two: the overly active and yet closed-minded "dialoguers" and the blissfully apathetic.

Jay

I came from a small town and a high school of about 13,000 students. What I like about Oxy is that it is quite comparable to the size of high school, but at the same time it is in the second largest city in the country. There are so many venues at your fingertips, yet Oxy is my place I can retreat to in order to escape the hustle and bustle. So, it can get a little repetetive, seeing the same faces everyday and partying with the same people every weekend. That's not necessarily a bad thing tho. For me, I don't mind at all hanging out with and seeing the same people all the time. In actuality, I couldn't ask for a better group of friends!

The student body is as diverse a group as one could imagine. Personally, I love that! I have learned so much from countless people from different background than my own.

Yes, overall the student body is comprised of mainly "left wing" students, however there are many strong minded conservatives present as well. No, all the girls are not ugly. There is a good amount of attractive girls, but yes, there is an even larger amount of socially awkward, unattractive girls. Yes, we hear about the racial issues every year, and they all generate a lot of publicity. However, for the most part, that's all they are: in my opinion, people wanting attention!

In my opinion, academics is all what you put into it. If you put in the effort you will leave Oxy as a bright, knowledgeable person with many talents to offer the world. What is special about Oxy is you are able to go above an d beyond just putting in the effort. The professors are very approachable and when you utilyze them, that's when you'll get at Oxy that you can't get everywhere else.

There are a ton of clubs and groups to join at Oxy. And the beautiful thing is, if there isn't a specific group you are looking for, you can easily start one on your own!

The students are very liberal, all the girls are ugly, there are many racial issues.

Lily

If I were going to change something about Oxy I would change the size. Oxy is very small and it feels like you know everyone after your first year. The social scene is fairly repetative. A lot of people love the size of Oxy, but if you like to have a broader social scene and have new people to meet over your four years, Oxy may not be your school. There is a lot of school spirit at Oxy, but be warned that there is a very large football team for such a small school, and they often bring down the academic quality of the classroom. I think one of the best things about Oxy, other than academics, is its location. I love living in L.A. with access to the beach, museums, concerts, shopping, amazing food, and enless potential to explore. Oxy's administration is lacking, to say the least. Oxy has gone through three presidents in about 4 or 5 years so there never seems to be centralized leadership. Another bad thing about Oxy is registration. If you can get into the classes you want they are usually great, but it can be a battle zone trying to get them. Oxy has really good food for a college campus, and the campus is really beautiful. Something cool about Oxy is that Barack Obama went there! It is a very liberal community, and most students are interested in politics, and issues of social justice.

There is some racial diversity at Oxy, but it doesn't seem like there is very much socio-economic diversity. Most Oxy students are upper middle class. It is a layed back campusl. You rarely see girls carrying designer bags or wearing big chanel sunglasses, but there are a fair amoutn of uggs. It is totally comfortable wearing sweats to class, but if you like to wear real clothes thats cool too. Most people at Oxy are very active and participate in sports or work out regularly. Since it is a small community all different kinds of students interact. But recently there seems to be a lot more participation in greek life which seems to be sucking some individuality out of the school. Students are generally politically aware and active, but there are some ignorant people there who are more concerned about popularity. Sad but true. It is a very liberal campus, and people generally want to make a difference in the world.

Oxy is a very small school and sometimes it can feel stifling if you spend all your time on campus. It is really important to go into Los Angeles and explore all that it has to offer.

Academics are Oxy's strong point. I have had amazing professors, especially in my major departments. Most of my teachers know my name, or at least recognize you enough to say hello. Professors are very accessible and willing to help. Oxy has a diverse faculty so you can really learn from Professors who are experts in thier field, and also have unique perspective on issues. Like at any college, your education is what you make of it at Oxy, but I would say most Oxy students do a lot of studying. Class participation is very importatn, and students definitely have intellectual conversations outside of campus. It's cool to be smart at Oxy. I am majoring in Diplomacy and World Affairs, and the department is stellar. Students are motivated, informed, and passionate about global politics and world issues. The professors are amazing and have all kinds of interesting international experience. We are required to take two years of a foreign language, so a large percentage study abroad. I think Oxy's academic requirements are great because they allow you to take interesting classes and have flexibility to fulfill them. We are required to take classes focusing on three different regions of the world which I think is very important to instill an understanding of different cultures and diversity. Oxy's education is truly a liberal arts education. You will graduate informed, inspired, and ready to take on the world.

Sometimes the Oxy community is referred to as the Oxy bubble because it is very small and people tend to feel like they know everyone. Another stereotype that usually works positively is that Oxy is a diverse school. This is somewhat true, but most people who go to Oxy can afford to go to Oxy so sometimes it does not feel like there is economic diversity.

I have really enjoyed my time so far at Oxy - my classes have been great and I love the people there. My biggest complaint this year was definitely the living situation - most first years were placed in "forced triples" which is basically three people in a double sized room (small double at that). Overall, for such a small school there's a really great and diverse mix of people all trying to achieve something different from the rest. Eagle Rock itself isn't that great, but there are still a ton of restaurants and a few shops within a couple miles of campus. But both Pasadena and Glendale are only 15 mins away and each of those areas has a lot going on.

Though Oxy isn't a huge party school, students definitely enjoy partying. There is always someone down to drink or smoke, but people are very focused on their studies as well. Even though most students are liberal, you can easily find more conservative people as well.

After freshman year, all of my professors knew my name. Even in the "big" intro classes, which was really no bigger than 30 or 35 students, the professors got to know us all and personally graded our assignments. Participation is really important at Oxy at well, and is usually a portion of your grade as well.

That Oxy kids don't know how to party, lame campus, very bookish, liberal and political

John

In my opinion the best thing about Occidental is the size itself. When a school is small like Oxy, it allows the professors to actually teach the students instead of leaving this to their grad students (odd how teachers being able to do their job actually elicits praise huh?) Not only are the teachers in a better environment in a small school, but not having tens of thousands of students means you can get to know most if not all of your classmates, and make connections that will last a lifetime. In addition to a great size in my opinion, Oxy also has a great reputation. Not only do many business leaders recognize the rigor and selectiveness of the college, but so do many people I meet in everyday conversation. For all this, if there is anything wrong with the school in my opinion it is that the administration, and most of the student body itself is far too obsessed with diversity. Although diversity is a good thing, having it shoved in your face day in and day out is easy to get tired of.

If there is any group you desire to be a part of, you can find it on campus. One thing that the commitment to diversity of the college brings is the ability to find other people with the same beliefs as you, even though there may not be hundreds with the same stance, you are garunteed to find someone. The great thing about this is that the different students (for the most part) interact, and bring different views etc. to everyone. There is no dress code, so students wear whatever they want to class. As a matter of fact, during one stressful week in the first semester of junior year, I wore pajama pants and a t-shirt to all my classes, at Oxy, you do whatever makes you comfortable. As for the politics of the school, many people fall on the left, and are pretty politicallt active.

Although the school is small, the students certainly do know how to have fun, and being located in the LA valley gives us ample oppurtunities to do so.

Like I said before, one of the beauties of Oxy is the size. This means every professor you have knows your name, and also what kind of student you are. Knowing this allows the professors to help YOU with what you need help with, and not just out of class. Classes are on the a scale that allows teachers to change their teaching style in class to better suit the students. Not only arwe the teachers helpful in class, but they are also available outside of class for individual help during the week. If you are not able to see a teacher during the day though, in my experience all of them answer e-mails promptly. I am a double major in both Math and Physics, and I have to say both departments are outstanding. The administration has done a great job of bringing in professors with diverse backgrounds and styles that allow you to learn the most from your time here. As for the departments requirements, I cannot think of a way to change them that would make them any better. Both departments require you to learn the basic knowledge of the subject, and then go on and get a background in the more advanced topics in the subject, but thety allow you which advanced topics you want to choose. In the math department there is a wide variety of upper level courses you are able to take in your years at Oxy, which is great, and this leads me to the only criticism I have of the physics department. The upper level class catalogue is pretty small. Of course we have the required upper level courses like Quantum Mechanics, Math Methods, Advanced Electrodynamics, and Analytical Dynamics, but since the school is as small as it is, and physics the major that it is (small), there are not many people interested, or even qualified to take the upper level courses, which puts the teachers in a bind. In fact, the department can only offer one upper level "selective" per semester. To emphasize the situation, I am currently the only person at Oxy that would be eligible to take an advanced Quantum Mechanics course. In spite of this though, the professors are great, and very passionate about their jobs, it is a shame that more people are not interested in the subject.

The most social events on Campus, like many other schools, are the football games. In addition to these though we have school sponsored dances, usually at least every other weekend, and there are also parties on most weekends, you just need to find out where they are. In addition to the football team we have all of the normal varsity sports, and if we dont have what you wnat, there may already be a club team, and if not, students can start one. Greek organizations, althought they do exist at some level here, are not as important as they are elsewhere. As for what to do, essentially any day of the week, well, it is only limited to what you can think of. If you cant find somewhere on campus to do something, we are located right outside of LA with plenty of things located close by.

Alot of people think that Oxy is a small school where people dont know how to have fun.

Harper

My favorite things about Occidental are the student body and the professor/student relationships. I have found the most wonderful people at Oxy-- my friends are all engaged in schoolwork, internships and sports but we all find time to spend together to explore LA or just hang out in each others' rooms. In terms of the professors, its the middle of the summer and I just sent two of my favorite professors e-mails to tell them about my summer or to send them links to articles/videos they might find interesting (they both responded the same day). During the last week of school one of my professors invited me to his house to have dinner with some other students. We sat in his living room and discussed life, politics, and issues related to Oxy. That was one night I'll never forget. A lot of people dismiss Eagle Rock (the neighborhood Oxy is in) because it doesn't look like Westwood or Palo Alto. I'll admit that I was a bit of a hater when I first got to Oxy but my opinion of Eagle ROck has completely changed. Every fall there is a HUGE music festival at the corner of Eagle Rock and Colorado. They block of 7 or 8 blocks and have bands playing on every corner. Thousands of people show up to listen to the music, eat at the foodstands and check out the scene. There are also a lot of great restaurants in Eagle Rock (my friends and I often eat at Auntie Em's or Spitz--you should look them up if you are going to visit). Although, if you do visit you should try eating in the marketplace (our dining hall). They do a really spectacular job. the food is often organic and always fresh. Some mornings I wake up, make my way down to the MP to find a parfait with fresh raspberries, blackberries, strawberries and blueberries. There are always two soups and special salads, made to order pasta and quesadillas...I visited 12 schools when applying to college and by far Oxy had the best food (one of the many reasons I chose Oxy...?). Some complaints...the administration has been a bit disorganized since I matriculated. They are still looking for a new and more permanant president and not doing a particularly good job of keeping the student body informed about the search. Other more minor complaints...the gym and outdoor pool don't open until noon on weekends and the marketplace (my favorite place to eat on campus) closes at 7:30 (although there are options on campus that are open later). One recent contrvercy was when Lupe Fiasco came to Oxy for an evening and only played two songs! I think we paid him $30,000 or something ridiculous like that. But more seriously, there are some avid discussions about race on campus. Oxy is the 3rd most diverse liberal arts college with 40 % of student identifying as racial or ethnic minority. Over the last few years there have been a lot of dialogues that become contravercial. I personally like the dialogue and have learned a lot.

As mentioned above, Oxy is a diverse school. The environment is very accomodating for racial, religious, LGBT...etc differences. Students really wear anything they want to class. There are a lot of athletes on campus so sporty clothes are common. I personally usually wear jeans and t-shirt (pretty typical...). There was a surge of political activism for the Obama campaign..and I'm sure the enthusiasm will continue through November. The campus has a liberal slant (that is almost an understatement). Most students seem aware of political issues and a lot are involved in one way or another.

I am a tour guide so I have spent a lot of time thinking about all the thing I love about Oxy. I may seem a little overexcited but I think all my friends would write positive things too...Most people I know are really happy.

I think this stereotype is true...a lot of Oxy students are from the northwest and bay area and are not really into the whole LA dieting/anorexic/paris hilton thing--although most students go often campus often to explore the great city.

As I mentioned above I really love to faculty at Oxy. Its so easy to get in touch with them...when I neede a rec for a summer internship I e-mailed 2 professors. Both responded within a day and were more than happy to help. I have gone in to go over essays, problem sets or just disuss the news with many of my professors, all of whom are eager to meet one on one (although the classes are so small sometimes, you get to know them well enough then). When I had mono earlier in the semester all my profs. were more than accomodating. My philosophy professor noticed that everyone was getting sick around March and brought muffins and orange juice to class one day!

I run track with the most amazing group of people and coaches ever. We really have a lot of fun (go out to dinner after practice regularly...make tie dye shirts before meets). It would be nice if more of the student body came to our meets but that is kind of the nature of the sport. Most people go to football and basketball games. My friend died his sideburns orange for a basketball game another friend wore a tiget outfit. I would say spirit is pretty strong and enthusiastic. Greek life is not that popular at Oxy. About 10% of students participate. I think they have a good time...social events and can food drives seem to be their regular gigs. If I was awake at 2 am I would most likely be in my friends room working or at taco truck getting some tasty food or...at the library. I remember when I was applying to schools I thought about whether I would be happy there or not more than about the academics. Oxy has rigorous academics (for the most part , there are some easier majors I hear) that involve writing a lot of papers and doing a lot of presentations. If you aren't into academics Oxy is not the school for you. There are a lot of resources for students, tutoring and such.

I've often heard that Oxy is so great because its in LA but the student body doesn't reflect the LA vibe too much.

kay

occidental is a very small college, which is a good and a bad thing because of its size, it often feels like a high school gossip travels really fast the classes for the most part are really intimate and good, all the teachers know your name right away

students often like to help each other out it is a supportive academic environment

Occidental College administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.