Occidental College

« See more reviews of Occidental College

We're certainly given a strong education in the practice of proper rhetoric so that no mater what subject we discuss we speak precisely and intelligently, whether it's an issue of politics or pop culture. Students, though practiced in this level of discourse, are hardly the kind of anal retentive asshats that being "politically correct" would lead people to think, the school represents a fairly liberal slice of the population, but has enough diversity that everyone falls into the natural flow of discourse well enough so long as they do so with open minds and intelligently. As for us being over-educated, I can't say i see that as a negative since there's really no such thing.

We are diverse, but spend a lot of effort dissecting our diversity, which oftentimes unintentionally separates different racial, economic, and social groups. Students use I statements, "I feel, I think" or phrases like "it seems like" to avoid confrontation, or to ease confrontational language. I wouldn't say the open minded steryotype always rings true, we like to think we are though. Also I do not feel that Oxy is an overtly political campus; people take stands on issues and are VERY vocal, but don't always have to statistics or information to back up their claims.

No. Unlike other small liberal arts schools, Oxy is in the middle of a the growing and very urban Eagle Rock which allows for daily opportunities to get off campus and into the world. Also, while Los Angeles and Oxy are very liberal places, there is a larger emphasis on respect for all political ideas and there is often discussion and debate without negative interactions or assumptions about different political views.

Does cost a lot of money to attend the institution. Occidental has been referenced as an "Ivy League West" school. Called "Princeton of the West" when orignally founded. Most students do come from privileged backgrounds. Diversity is enforced dramatically compared to other educational environments. Athletic teams are competitive and overall successful within the conference. NOT a dental school.

While I do know of students who applied to the Claremont Schools, I think most of us came to Oxy beciase it called to us and because we felt at home there. I think Oxy is lucky to have us and we are lucky to have Oxy: It's not a school you just "settle" for. I do think that the stereotype that Oxy is a lberal, scoially aware and P.C. campus is true.

We are pretty politically active, there are a lot of vegetarians and vegans, most of the student body is very liberal, we do work hard and play hard, and I think the campus is very friendly. As far as diversity goes, for a small private school, we do have a good amount of diversity, but it's not like white kids are a minority or anything.

Yes and no. For the most part, the majority of the student body are democrats, there is a sizable group of conservatives. I guess one issue that will need to be dealt with over the next few years is to provide a better platform for differing political stances to have space to speak on campus.

The dental school stereotype is absolutely untrue, Occidental prides itself on its nearly exclusive focus on undergraduate education. The stereotype that Occidental students are excellent communicators is absolutely true, as evidenced through the many conferences that Oxy students excell in.

I think that for the most part they are. There are always improvements to making diversity more of a priority on this campus, but I think that when compared to some of our sister schools, Oxy offers the type of environment where concerns and change are more likely to occur.

The school as a whole is very liberal-minded but there are conservative students on campus who tend to be relatively quiet about there views. Also, over half the school is from out of state, including myself, which gives the school a nice variety.